Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seven Antibiotics to Stockpile and Why...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks. What is the correct way to store antibiotics? Oxygen Free, no light, and in the Freezer?

How do you get the anti-biotics with out a prescription?
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    Take a day trip across the border to our ethical, NAFTA trading partner, Mexico. You can get all the clap and antibiotics that you want within walking distance of our border in any border town.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard to ask your normal doctor to prescribe a few of these under the justification of making an emergency "earthquake" kit etc

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Good post. If not for antibiotics I would be without my left arm or dead. Remember that a minor cut can kill you if infected.

You used to be able to get animal antibiotics very easily. (Which would suffice in a pinch) Not sure if that is still the case.
    Last edited by Southron; 02-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.

How would you store up anti-biotics?
    I GOT MY BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SCIENCE DEGREE IN MY HANDS AND RAN!!!!!!! THEY'RE NEVER GETTING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

"It is dissent from government policies that defines the true patriot and champion of liberty."

- Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If you are like me though and deeply care about prepping for your pet gold fish, go to amazon and search amoxacillin. It is readily available to purchase without a doctor's prescription and can be done pretty cheaply.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Mox-500mg...8508203&sr=8-1
    Last edited by jclay2; 02-23-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justinc.1089 View Post
    How would you store up anti-biotics?

If you keep them in a dry, temperature controlled environment, most oral antibiotics have a shelf life of a couple of years.

The bigger problem is getting a physician to write a prescription in anything near bulk quantities, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    If you keep them in a dry, temperature controlled environment, most oral antibiotics have a shelf life of a couple of years.

The bigger problem is getting a physician to write a prescription in anything near bulk quantities, if at all.
    Nope, thats what pet meds are for.

I use doxycycline all the time in my practice. It is effective against MRSA and covers all of what cephalexin does plus atypicals. If children are not a concern I would go with doxycycline rather than cephalexin.

definite 2nd for doxycycline. I rarely see an organism that is not susceptible to either doxy or amoxil. Of course this is different in different areas. These two would be my top two picks. Also, both are well tolerated if not allergic.

Cipro would probably be my 3rd. I'm not a huge fan of cephalosporins either (except for children).
    Last edited by sarahdeez; 03-01-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Try Natural cures. Oil of Oregano is a potent antibiotic
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Try Natural cures. Oil of Oregano is a potent antibiotic
    I was a just about to say.. I will stick with oil of oregano.. Screw antibiotics. They deplete your body of important nutrients like vitamin k and also kill all your good bacteria which leads to yeast and other awful digestive problems.. Not to mention antibiotics promote resistance and create super strains.. Oil of oregano does not..

Keep your antibiotics and I'll keep my oregano oil..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) is also a very good anti-microbial.
    http://www.nutriteam.com/index2.html

Antibiotics lose potentcy over time so they are not really something you want to spend the money to save for a long time.
    http://www.antibioticsexpert.com/fiv...tibiotics.html
    Moreover, storing antibiotics past their expiration date causes unpredictable variations in their potency. An antibiotic like Cipro you have had sitting on a shelf at room temperature for 2 or 3 years may be less potent or so much more potent that it costs deadly drug interactions. Antibiotics that are used after their expiration date may even cause kidney or liver damage.
    This site http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-sci...tibiotics.html has storage temperature recommendations for many different types of antibiotics (different ones have different storage requirements).
    In general, antibiotics require storage in a refrigerator or freezer. Aminoglycosides (e.g. kanamycin) are hygroscopic and should be stored in a desiccator. Storage of many powdered antibiotics at -20 °C is not recommended and increases the risk of water condensation. All antibiotics should be protected from direct sunlight. Rifampicin and amphotericin B are very sensitive to light and should be stored in the dark.

The labels of antibiotic containers usually state the activity (potency, active matter per amount of powder) of the product in µg/mg or units/mg of powder. The amount of powder to use for a given antibiotic will change according to the activity of the product. For example, if a product has an activity of 1000 units/mg, twice as much powder will be required than for the same product with an activity of 2000 units/mg.

The relationship between the weight (mg) of antibiotic to use, the activity of the powder (µg/mg or units/mg), the volume of solution to prepare (ml) and the concentration (µg/ml) of antibiotic desired in the solution is:

Weight = (Volume x Concentration) / Activity

Most antibiotic solutions will remain stable stored at -0 °C for up to 3 months. However, Rifampicin should be freshly prepared for each use. Most antibiotics are heat labile and should be filter sterilized using membranes that minimize adsorption (e.g. cellulose acetate).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The longest storage they list for a liquid preperation is 12 months for Kanamycin. Most are under six months and some are just a few days.

Checking on Cephalexin capsules (one of the recommended ones in the article) says the following about storage:
    http://www.prescription-drugs-inform...-To-Store.html
    The following is general storage information for Cephalexin Capsules:

•It is important that you store Cephalexin Capsules at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
    •Make sure Cephalexin Capsules is kept away from direct sunlight and moisture.
    •Be sure to store Cephalexin Capsules out of reach of any pets or small children; in a small childproof container.
    •Dispose of any expired or unused Cephalexin Capsules properly
    Basically read the instructions for whatever you intend to buy and don't keep them beyond the exipration date. You won't be able to stock up for the next decade- likely less than a year.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-02-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Lew Forgot Moldy Bread
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Antibiotics lose potentcy over time so they are not really something you want to spend the money to save for a long time.

This site http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-sci...tibiotics.html has storage temperature recommendations for many different types of antibiotics (different ones have different storage requirements).

The longest storage they list for a liquid preperation is 12 months for Kanamycin. Most are under six months and some are just a few days.

Checking on Cephalexin capsules (one of the recommended ones in the article) says the following about storage:

Basically read the instructions for whatever you intend to buy and don't keep them beyond the exipration date. You won't be able to stock up for the next decade- likely less than a year.
    Really bad to irrelevant info for any anti-bio you will be able to get your hands on. Ignore this post.

His first point is completely WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Total low ball. Try 8-15 years. "shelf lives" are for the convenience of the pharma industry. They make tons of money off perfectly good drugs that have to be thrown out and replaced due to regulation/law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Im not sure of the credibility of this website and do not personally agree with it.

This seems to apply to liquid antibiotics which are definitely unstable (why they often have to be refrigerated). These figures would not apply to pills.

good advice.

I think many medicines would be good after the expiration date but of course you will have to make that decision for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I was a just about to say.. I will stick with oil of oregano.. Screw antibiotics. They deplete your body of important nutrients like vitamin k and also kill all your good bacteria which leads to yeast and other awful digestive problems.. Not to mention antibiotics promote resistance and create super strains.. Oil of oregano does not..

Keep your antibiotics and I'll keep my oregano oil..
    Yes, very good stuff. The most researched form is Oil of Oregano P73.

Other antibiotics/antifungals/antimicrobials:
    MMS
    garlic
    onion juice
    hydrogen peroxide
    alcohol (higher the proof the better)

A friend of a friend did his thesis on the best way to treat strep throat. The best way by far is to take a shot of alcohol (at least 100 proof, 150 is better) 3 times a day until the symptoms are gone.

MMS is awesome, and everybody should have a bottle on hand. (google it)
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Homer View Post
    Yes, very good stuff. The most researched form is Oil of Oregano P73.

Other antibiotics/antifungals/antimicrobials:
    MMS
    garlic
    onion juice
    hydrogen peroxide
    alcohol (higher the proof the better)

A friend of a friend did his thesis on the best way to treat strep throat. The best way by far is to take a shot of alcohol (at least 100 proof, 150 is better) 3 times a day until the symptoms are gone.

MMS is awesome, and everybody should have a bottle on hand. (google it)
    Did your friend try 15 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract in half a cup of water, gargle with it and swallow. I've tried this and the pain of a sore throat is gone instantly. If the problem is above the palate in the nasal cavity, 4 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract mixed with the contents of a 44ml bottle of saline nasal spray will work for that. So far, that is the best I've found to handle a sore throat and/or nasal burn as I call it. (burning above the palate in the nasal cavity)

Edit: And GSE is supposed to have an indefinite shelf life.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 03-06-2011 at 08:45 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Did your friend try 15 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract in half a cup of water, gargle with it and swallow. I've tried this and the pain of a sore throat is gone instantly. If the problem is above the palate in the nasal cavity, 4 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract mixed with the contents of a 44ml bottle of saline nasal spray will work for that. So far, that is the best I've found to handle a sore throat and/or nasal burn as I call it. (burning above the palate in the nasal cavity)

Edit: And GSE is supposed to have an indefinite shelf life.
    I really don't know what he tested. It was about 15 years ago, and I'm not sure how available GSE was back then. Thanks for the tip though.

I'm also pretty sure that MMS would do better than alcohol for strep throat. It definitely wasn't available back then. I've personally used MMS to cure an abscessed tooth... sure beats a root canal, especially if SHTF and there's no dentist to be found.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Homer View Post
    I really don't know what he tested. It was about 15 years ago, and I'm not sure how available GSE was back then. Thanks for the tip though.

I'm also pretty sure that MMS would do better than alcohol for strep throat. It definitely wasn't available back then. I've personally used MMS to cure an abscessed tooth... sure beats a root canal, especially if SHTF and there's no dentist to be found.
    Okay, thanks... just wondered if what he found was better or not. I'll have to check out the MMS, haven't heard of it before. Is that Miracle Mineral Supplement? From what I understand, it's just sodium chlorate in water, am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    If you are like me though and deeply care about prepping for your pet gold fish, go to amazon and search amoxacillin. It is readily available to purchase without a doctor's prescription and can be done pretty cheaply.
    And of course, koi are GIANT goldfish, so their medications come in much larger quantities... doxycycline, erythromycin, metronidazole, quinine, tetracycline... all for the caring koi owner.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html
    Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo), or shopping online with GoodShop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Okay, thanks... just wondered if what he found was better or not. I'll have to check out the MMS, haven't heard of it before. Is that Miracle Mineral Supplement? From what I understand, it's just sodium chlorate in water, am I correct?
    Yes... worst name for an alternative treatment ever, because nobody trusts a medicine labeled as "miracle". When mixed with an acid (vinegar, lime juice, or citric acid) it produces chlorine dioxide, which seems to be the most active ingredient of it. I use 5 drops of lime juice from one of those little plastic lime-shaped bottles to each drop of MMS. Let it sit 3 minutes, then add water to it. Swish it around for mouth/tooth problems, or drink it down for whatever else you're taking it for.

Here's a heavily-referenced overview of it: http://bioredox.mysite.com/CLOXhtml/CLOXprnt+refs.htm

To prevent colds or even overcome them I use Herb Pharm "Virattack" (you can get it at Vitacost for reasonable) and Baseline Nutritionals "Super ViraGone"...(this one is really garlicky & fairly expensive but it works!) They have stuff like lomatium root, echinacea, olive leaf etc. in them. It works on stuff from the common cold to warts...topically or ingested...

In lieu of antacids, eat celery the moment you may feel heartburn coming or even sour stomach.

There are alternatives to most prescribed medication and OTC drugs...just do the research - your body will thank you.
    Last edited by WyoLiberty; 03-07-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    "In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." ~ Mark Twain

Bump
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast