Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian vegan faces 10 yrs for giving slaughter house pigs water on hot day

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Of course I did. You're by no means the first person to post something to the effect that Libertarians would be more popular if they were just more liberal. Which totally misses a bigger, more important point - libertarians are not liberals.

Golly, if we all decided that pig are people too and that eating meat was evil and we started prosecuting farmers for animal abuse when they sent hogs to the slaughterhouse, then maybe more people would like us?

Leave other people's stuff alone. You find that objectionable. We get that.
    Lilymc was triggered by this post.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He told her not to give anything to the animals in his care. She had no rights. The end.
    I told that small child not to step onto my lawn to retrieve his frisbee. He had no rights, so I cut off his limbs and rolled him into oncoming traffic. The end.
    I'm not even remotely on farreri's side and yet you keep saying things that are obviously indefensible.

When did things like mercy, compassion, respect for all life, etc, become synonymous with "liberal"?

I'm definitely not a liberal, and I oppose most of what today's "liberals" stand for... but I believe in those things I just mentioned. They're not "liberal" principles... if anything, they're Christian principles... even though many people don't understand the source.

It's lame and small-minded to make this into a "left vs right" or "liberty vs liberal" thing. Not only is it not true, but it just plays into the hands of those who accuse us (conservatives/libertarians) of being selfish aholes.
    Last edited by lilymc; 09-09-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

She was asked to leave the pigs alone. She offended the driver by ignoring his request. By the definition that you posted, the real world considers that assault.
    What about assault on the poor pig-people?

Strange beings squirting liquid on them in order to rile them up right in the middle of their very first car ride..

Why aren't these 'activists' attacking dog-people when they're being transported?

Quote Originally Posted by SewrRatt View Post
    I'm not even remotely on farreri's side and yet you keep saying things that are obviously indefensible.
    I am only responding to his hyperbole with hyperbole of my own. But if you want to make everything black and white, then you are correct. I put property rights on an even level with the right to life. If you choose not to respect my property rights, then why should I respect your right to life?

And for teh record I didn't say this:
    I told that small child not to step onto my lawn to retrieve his frisbee. He had no rights, so I cut off his limbs and rolled him into oncoming traffic. The end
    That's a strawman.
    Last edited by angelatc; 09-09-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    When did things like mercy, compassion, respect for all life, etc, become synonymous with "liberal"?

I'm definitely not a liberal, and I oppose most of what today's "liberals" stand for... but I believe in those things I just mentioned. They're not "liberal" principles... if anything, they're Christian principles... even though many people don't understand the source.

It's lame and small-minded to make this into a "left vs right" or "liberty vs liberal" thing. Not only is it not true, but it just plays into the hands of those who accuse us (conservatives/libertarians) of being selfish aholes.
    Mm. Yeah. I'd have to agree with lily here.

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Please give an example of what he'd do or say.
    I have a better idea, why don't you find something to do with your life besides sit on this forum and ask stupid questions?
    "The Patriarch"

We all agree on those things that you listed. The key difference is that Libertarians do not believe that the government should mandate those things. And that property rights are inalienable.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Please give an example of what he'd do or say.
    He has already said that one of the few legitimate functions of government is the protection of property rights. Clearly you do not agree.
    Last edited by angelatc; 09-09-2016 at 01:51 PM.

We all agree on those things that you listed. The key difference is that Libertarians do not believe that the government should mandate those things. And that property rights are inalienable.
    I can't speak for farreri, but nobody else has argued otherwise. You don't seem to get that not everyone here is focusing on the legal side of it.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

I can't speak for farreri, but nobody else has argued otherwise. You don't seem to get that not everyone here is focusing on the legal side of it.
    The point is that pigs are property. She was asked not to give them water. She is the aggressor. She wanted to get arrested so she could get headlines. Seems like everybody should be happy. They're all getting what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The pigs were not thirsty.

The entire premise of this thread is built on a lie.
    So if they were thirsty, you don't think she should be charged at all?

So if they were thirsty, you don't think she should be charged at all?
    Strawman.

Of course I did. You're by no means the first person to post something to the effect that Libertarians would be more popular if they were just more liberal. Which totally misses a bigger, more important point - libertarians are not liberals.

Golly, if we all decided that pig are people too and that eating meat was evil and we started prosecuting farmers for animal abuse when they sent hogs to the slaughterhouse, then maybe more people would like us?

Leave other people's stuff alone. You find that objectionable. We get that.
    No, more like if liberal's think in a libertarian society, a person can just walk up and blow another person's head off because that person was trying to do an act of compassion by giving what they perceived as his pigs being thirsty and giving them some water, the Libertarian Party isn't going to grow very much and will actually start to plummet as I'd argue most Libertarian's would be morally opposed if that's how a libertarian society would be.

And when we pointed that out, he acted like we should be eager to enforce our constitutional law in sovereign nations.
    You're really dumb if you believe that.

From their YouTube page:

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, was naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me." -Matthew Chapter 25

Toronto Pig Save's mission is to make slaughterhouses have glass wall through collectively bearing witness and to encourage everyone to go vegan and be an animal activist every day due to the animal emergency suffered by hundreds of millions of animals in Canada and billions of victims worldwide each year.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes. If they're thirsty, they're probably hungry too. Two problems solved at once. Seems efficient!
    You seem like a psycho if you believe that.

He told her not to give anything to the animals in his care. She had no rights. The end.
    Am I complaining that she got charged?

She was asked to leave the pigs alone. She offended the driver by ignoring his request. By the definition that you posted, the real world considers that assault.
    How did she put him in imminent harm or offensive contact?

Am I complaining that she got charged?
    Well what is your gripe with it? Seriously. Spit it out. Specifically. Because through a dozen or so pages, the only good debate I'm seeing that might go some place is the one between lily and angela.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-09-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SewrRatt View Post
    I'm not even remotely on farreri's side
    I'm curious, what do you think is my view point on this matter?

When these not-so-liberty liberty people have nothing rational to counter with, they're forced to start the name calling like lefty or liberal.

I'm not sure I understand what that has to do with this thread but I try to be that way with everything - except chickens and snakes (they started it with me).

I don't think the pigs were being abused. I don't think traveling 70 miles in 79 (max) heat is abuse considering they were watered before the trip started. If there's not clear abuse, then the only side left for me to take is the side of property rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I'm curious, what do you think is my view point on this matter?
    Why don't you just tell us? It's your thread. If you don't spit it out, we're going to take the thread away from you. And it won't be your thread anymore.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Strange beings squirting liquid on them in order to rile them up
    Oh, is that what that woman's secret intentions were?!

If you choose not to respect my property rights, then why should I respect your right to life?

It was just a woman trying to give some thirsty pigs some water on a hot day. No need for bullets to start flying. Chill out.

He has already said that one of the few legitimate functions of government is the protection of property rights. Clearly you do not agree.
    Again, where did I complain that this woman was charged for what she did?

She wanted to get arrested so she could get headlines.
    Let's say that's true. What do you think the appropriate sentence should be for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    From their YouTube page:

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, was naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me." -Matthew Chapter 25

Toronto Pig Save's mission is to make slaughterhouses have glass wall through collectively bearing witness and to encourage everyone to go vegan and be an animal activist every day due to the animal emergency suffered by hundreds of millions of animals in Canada and billions of victims worldwide each year.
    Not such a terrible mission if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Well what is your gripe with it? Seriously. Spit it out. Specifically. Because through a dozen or so pages, the only good debate I'm seeing that might go some place is the one between lily and angela.
    Let's put it this way, if the headlines of the story said Animal Rights Activist Faces Citation for Giving Slaughter-bound Pigs Water, I would never have posted the story.

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast