Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should RPF Endorse a Third Party Candidate?

Should RPF Endorse a Third Party Candidate?

I propose that RPF officially endorse the Libertarian Party (whoever the nominee is).

This would mean putting up a banner, allowing vigorous promotion, etc.

It would NOT mean banning promotion of alternative third parties, as that would cause needless division.

I think most of us will support the LP, but some prefer the CP, and they should be allowed to promote as well.

Likewise for any other third parties which reflect the site's guiding principles (though I'm not aware of any other than the LP and CP).

Why do this? Because we have a real opportunity this cycle to bring anti-Trumpers into the liberty movement.

(and maybe even some disaffected Bernie supporters)

An official endorsement and some promotion by RPF would help achieve this worthy goal.

What do you think?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    What do you think?
    I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I disagree.
    Can I ask why?

The last thing I want is to create division over this, that would be worse than doing nothing.

So I don't want to argue with you, but I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

Can I ask why?

The last thing I want is to create division over this, that would be worse than doing nothing.

So I don't want to argue with you, but I'm just curious as to your reasoning.
    Because it will only divide the remaining members on the site and the LP has a recent history of nominating douchebags. And RPF doesn't need to lower itself by endorsing douchebags.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-04-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Because it will only divide the remaining members on the site and the LP has a recent history of nominating douchebags. And RPF doesn't need to lower itself by endorsing douchebags.
    Fair enough

Suffice it to say, I don't think it would cause division if done properly.

Yes, please. I dont know how anyone wins with Trump or Hillary. There is no victory, they are, as I see it, EXACTLY the same.

So why not make your vote count? The single party system is the problem, and now is the time to strike. Voting for the single party (republican or democrat) has an absolute outcome - failure.

Also, even if the LP doesnt win, just a few votes can lead to "legitimacy" in terms of the election and debate process. So when Hillary or Tump fail, there will be a viable LP offering to fill the vacuum.

I'm 100% behind voting libertarian - there has NEVER been a better time to vote outside the controlling party.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I'd say wait until the convention is over later this May. The candidate they choose will be the deciding factor. If they nominate Petersen or McAfee I'm down, but I just am simply appalled by the half ass libertarianism that Gary Johnson brings to the table.

Darrell Castle is a good option, but I don't think getting behind him fully is a good idea. The CP is simply to small and insignificant.

I suggest we make little icons for each LP/CP candidate, similar to the "Stand with Rand" bar under each individual profile pic. It would be a cool way to know right off the bat which candidate people support.

(Only for candidates that comply with the site mission of course.)
    Last edited by younglibertarian; 05-04-2016 at 02:01 PM.

I really think we need to wait until the LP nominates their candidate for President before we declare our support for the party.
    Stop believing stupid things

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^Yes.

If Austin Petersen or John McAfee is the nominee I will be happy to actively campaign in my local area for them.

If it's Gary Johnson I'll probably vote for him out of reluctance, he just doesn't inspire me to actually go out side and wave a sign, pass out leaflets, and defend him on internet forums all day

At the moment I'm leaning towards Castle but I need to do some more research. As for the point that the LP nominates douchbags, what do you think the two major parties are doing? I'm not totally against the idea but I'm sure there will be a lot of conflicting opinions on this.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    If it's Gary Johnson I'll probably vote for him out of reluctance, he just doesn't inspire me to actually go out side and wave a sign, pass out leaflets, and defend him on internet forums all day
    Even a vote for goofball Johnson is a vote for political relevance. At this point, I'm voting for another slot on the bill, not any individual in particular. The current single party controls the candidate pool, we need an alternative.

Gulag Chief:

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    I really think we need to wait until the LP nominates their candidate for President before we declare our support for the party.
    My thinking is this:

We all know the LP candidate isn't going to win, whoever it is.

We're just hoping for a good showing to send a message (and maybe ease ballot access for the LP in the future).

So, even if they nominated Satan himself, it wouldn't matter, as long as he represented himself well as a libertarian.

I think any of the three potential nominees would do an adequate job at that, don't really have a preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    As for the point that the LP nominates douchbags, what do you think the two major parties are doing?
    The same thing. But that doesn't mean RPF needs to endorse douchebags from any of the parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    At the moment I'm leaning towards Castle but I need to do some more research. As for the point that the LP nominates douchbags, what do you think the two major parties are doing? I'm not totally against the idea but I'm sure there will be a lot of conflicting opinions on this.
    Oh, snap.

I'm kinda torn on this. I honestly don't think there is necessarily a candidate all can coalesce behind like we did Ron. I understand the reasoning behind getting behind a certain third party candidate so that the % will increase towards making a third party competitive. I don't know why the LP or CP wait so long to choose a nominee. With the hindrances against third parties it seems to me that it would make sense to choose very early (like 1 yr. or more) so that a movement can be created behind a candidate.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 05-04-2016 at 02:22 PM.

I'm in favor of this. It's a good idea if for no other reason than to try to get a bigger following for the Libertarian Party (and hence the Liberty Movement in general) for the future. Even if they nominate someone we consider less than stellar, how can it be worse than Trump or Hillary (especially since we know the LP has no chance of actually winning the WH)? Let's just try to help them build their party so liberty has a chance.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm kinda torn on this. I honestly don't think there is necessarily a candidate all can coalesce behind like we did Ron. I understand the reasoning behind getting behind a certain third party candidate so that the % will increase towards making a third party competitive. I don't know why the LP or CP wait so long to choose a nominee. With the hindrances against third parties it seems to me that it would make sense to choose very early (like 1 yr. or more) so that a movement can be created behind a candidate.
    That's a good point.

Should RPF Endorse a Third Party Candidate?
    No. Just like this isn't Trump forums, it isn't LP forums, either.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    RP had more libertarian values. "Liberty Forums". Ron Paul is always teaching a libertarian message. Trump is a mother-fkn authoritarian. Quite a difference when considering the site mission - that is, in my most humble of opinions.

Gulag Chief:

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    So it was fine to coalesce around a Republican candidate like Ron Paul, but it is not ok to coalesce around an LP candidate like Austin Petersen? Have you looked at his platform and positions? About as close to Ron Paul as any candidate out there. Yet, because he is not GOP you don't think he should be supported?

I'm ok with it. Although it could also be 'any third party'.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    So it was fine to coalesce around a Republican candidate like Ron Paul, but it is not ok to coalesce around an LP candidate like Austin Petersen? Have you looked at his platform and positions? About as close to Ron Paul as any candidate out there. Yet, because he is not GOP you don't think he should be supported?
    Arguably Austin Petersen stands closer to Ron Paul then even Rand.

Liberty Eagle has already stated that she'll be voting for Trump.

Naturally, Trump supporters will not be in favor of RPF endorsing anyone but Trump.

The same thing. But that doesn't mean RPF needs to endorse douchebags from any of the parties.
    Ha ha ha, I knew you would say that. As soon as I went back in and started working that hit me.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Naturally, Trump supporters will not be in favor of RPF endorsing anyone but Trump.
    Why would a trump supporter even care? They essentially won without the support of RPF, or Ron Paul for that matter...

The comb-over obama is here! I listened to all his promises - they were quite tremendous. I actually broke out in laugher listening to trump and the cheering in the background. Then he had his pump going while he was inflating his defeated opponent, in turn, inflating himself. Quite amazing.

Yea, the "3rd party", as the single party folks refer to it, is where its at. I'm not wasting time with the single party nonsense.

Gulag Chief:

I propose that RPF officially endorse the Libertarian Party (whoever the nominee is).

This would mean putting up a banner, allowing vigorous promotion, etc.

It would NOT mean banning promotion of alternative third parties, as that would cause needless division.

I think most of us will support the LP, but some prefer the CP, and they should be allowed to promote as well.

Likewise for any other third parties which reflect the site's guiding principles (though I'm not aware of any other than the LP and CP).

Why do this? Because we have a real opportunity this cycle to bring anti-Trumpers into the liberty movement.

(and maybe even some disaffected Bernie supporters)

An official endorsement and some promotion by RPF would help achieve this worthy goal.

What do you think?
    This must be a Kodak moment, but I'm in full agreement. The dispute we've had over recent months, from my POV, had to do with whether we should only consider adherence to the liberty agenda when expressing support for candidacies, or whether we should (in the wake of the defeats of the Paul campaign) acknowledge strategic advances for the cause achieved by others. So absent the major party emphasis we've had mainly due to Paul, there should be no problem with us at least agreeing that the LP in general is in line with the liberty mission of this movement and site.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I think if the LP produces a quality candidate like Harry Browne, Michael Badnarik or Ron Paul... then yes an endorsement would make sense.

If the LP nominates someone like Bob Barr... not so much.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Ron Paul 2016

Because we need you

Ron Paul 2016.

As long as RPF doesn't endorse Trump or Clinton, I'm fine with it.

I'm almost definitely voting LP unless they self destruct and nominate somebody too crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast