Thread: Chicago Tribune endorses Gary!

Chicago Tribune endorses Gary!

Full story HERE.

With that demand for a principled president paramount, we turn to the candidate we can recommend. One party has two moderate Republicans — veteran governors who successfully led Democratic states — atop its ticket. Libertarians Gary Johnson of New Mexico and running mate William Weld of Massachusetts are agile, practical and, unlike the major-party candidates, experienced at managing governments. They offer an agenda that appeals not only to the Tribune's principles but to those of the many Americans who say they are socially tolerant but fiscally responsible. "Most people are Libertarian," Johnson told the Tribune Editorial Board when he and Weld met with us in July. "It's just that they don't know it."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow - this is huge. Not only is this one of the biggest papers in the nation, it is the home state of Hillary as well as the state that sent Obama to the White House. This is far and away the biggest thing that's happened to him so far.

Look for the attacks to intensify.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Wow - this is huge. Not only is this one of the biggest papers in the nation, it is the home state of Hillary as well as the state that sent Obama to the White House. This is far and away the biggest thing that's happened to him so far.
    Excellent points, Angela. I hadn't even considered the fact that it's the home state of Obama (does Hillary really have a home state? She's a chameleon on the issue). It definitely seems like the biggest thing to happen to his campaign.

Look for the attacks to intensify.
    Definitely. The MSM is going to go ape$#@!.

Hmmm...

Papers with right-leaning editorial boards are endorsing Johnson - and yet, the MSM tells us Clinton has the most to fear from Johnson. Meanwhile, the MSM has taken a sudden interest in Johnson and has begun mentioning his name (AKA $pending airtime money on him).

Methinks some internal polling may suggest that Johnson may be hurting Trump worse.

Meh. In any case, this election cycle may not be a complete waste. These developments may prove to change the face of this discussion over the next couple of months.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

They endorsed Obama in 2008 and 2012. Bush in 2004. It proves they vote for the candidate who will do the best job further destroying Chicago's poor and black communities through open borders by flooding Chicago with migrants that drives down wages, drives unemployment and creates a glut of workers. This combined with trade policies that closes factories and send jobs outside our borders it make sense they would endorse Gary Johnson.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    They endorsed Obama in 2008 and 2012. Bush in 2004. It proves they vote for the candidate who will do the best job further destroying Chicago's poor and black communities through open borders by flooding Chicago with migrants that drives down wages, drives unemployment and creates a glut of workers. This combined with trade policies that closes factories and send jobs outside our borders it make sense they would endorse Gary Johnson.
    Sour grapes because a Libertarian candidate got a historic endorsement?

They typically endorse Republicans, Obama was an anomaly. But this time they went Libertarian.

You should be happy with news like this because for one, Gary Johnson will never win the presidency, I am talking about the probability of him winning the election is less than that of me winning the powerball lottery. Number two, with him going liberal, he is taking more votes from Hillary than Trump.

The somewhat good thing about his tepid rise is that he creating a slightly bigger presence for future libertarian/third party candidates. Which is why it is confusing for someone who considers themselves liberty minded to fuming about this development.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You should be happy with news like this because for one, Gary Johnson will never win the presidency, I am talking about the probability of him winning the election is less than that of me winning the powerball lottery. Number two, with him going liberal, he is taking more votes from Hillary than Trump.

The somewhat good thing about his tepid rise is that he creating a slightly bigger presence for future libertarian/third party candidates. Which is why it is confusing for someone who considers themselves liberty minded to fuming about this development.
    Lol... it's because they fear the Johnson. They don't really believe that he pulls more from Hillary and they think he's a threat to their dear leader. All that other stuff you said, while making sense, doesn't matter to them right now - only Trump.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @angelatc, @juleswin @CaptUSA, like I said this is not about Trump it is ideological. The media will ensure the people disregard GJ and the LP on liberty issues and will focus solely on the LP being the representative of open borders and TPP. The open borders and TPP trade faction within the LP must be destroyed for the good of the LP.

btw - not much of anonmoly when they endorsed Obama in 08 and 12.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Newspaper endorsements to date

Clinton 13
    Johnson 6
    Trump -1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post

Clinton 13
    Johnson 6
    Trump -1
    The Detroit News has never endorsed anybody BUT a Democrat until Johnson. The GOP will use it to smear Johnson as too liberal.

I am sooo wrong!
    Last edited by angelatc; 09-30-2016 at 11:00 AM.

@angelatc, @juleswin @CaptUSA, like I said this is not about Trump it is ideological. The media will ensure the people disregard GJ and the LP on liberty issues and will focus solely on the LP being the representative of open borders and TPP. The open borders and TPP trade faction within the LP must be destroyed for the good of the LP.

btw - not much of anonmoly when they endorsed Obama in 08 and 12.
    Lol. Could this be any more disingenuous?!

No one but you is mentioning TPP or open borders (certainly not the media!). You don't care about the future of the LP. And this is not ideological for you. It's about your fear that people who despise Hillary may cast their ballot for someone other than your dear leader. You've already played your hand and we've seen it.

The Detroit News has never endorsed anybody BUT a Democrat until Johnson. The GOP will use it to smear Johnson as too liberal.
    This is backwards. They've always endorses Republicans until now. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...erous-it-says/

I think you're thinking of the Free Press?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Lol. Could this be any more disingenuous?!

No one but you is mentioning TPP or open borders (certainly not the media!). You don't care about the future of the LP. And this is not ideological for you. It's about your fear that people who despise Hillary may cast their ballot for someone other than your dear leader. You've already played your hand and we've seen it.
    Every post this ridiculous Trump fixation, it is getting old.

After the election like they always do the media evaluates the results and calls whatever a mandate for this or that policy based on numbers. They will do the same with GJ if he pulls in good numbers and the one thing that is most important to the establishment is open borders and TPP. They will call it a mandate for those policies and ignore everything else.

If I worried about my so called "dear leader" I would not have said twice in the other thread to you, now three times in this thread saying people should rather write-in Ron, Rand or vote for Daryl Castle instead of Gary Johnson. Not everything is about Trump no matter your ridiculous Trump witch hunt campaign or whatever it is.
    Last edited by kahless; 09-30-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post

Clinton 13
    Johnson 6
    Trump -1

Haha! It's actually true. USA Today just endorsed "anyone but Trump". I've never seen a negative endorsement before.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think you are overestimating the impact immigration and free-trade have on creating poverty and at least understating the impact the state has on creating poverty through regulation and taxation. Some of these worse off black communities share in the responsibility for creating cyclical poverty in their disregard for property rights. But in general it is the government prohibiting or making more expensive the operation of a business that would cause them to relocate. And it is high wages and a labor shortage that would cause an immigrant to relocate. Labor and trade protectionism violates the NAP and misses the root cause of the poverty.

For me, the big reason for opposing HRC is her hawkishness.

I note that the Chicago Tribune makes no mention of this major flaw among their reasons for not supporting her.

Is that because it's not a problem for them, or because they think that readers will see hawkishness as a plus?
    "Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." - John Adams

"He is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down on profanity and immorality of every kind." - John Witherspoon

Why I stand with Rand

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    For me, the big reason for opposing HRC is her hawkishness.

I note that the Chicago Tribune makes no mention of this major flaw among their reasons for not supporting her.

Is that because it's not a problem for them, or because they think that readers will see hawkishness as a plus?
    I read the article yesterday and I'm pretty sure they mentioned that Gary wasn't into killing the brown people as much as they'd like, but that that they could agree to disagree on that point. Unlike Mrs. Clinton, they rank the economy above killing the brown people because without a strong economy, murder money is more difficult to come by.

Whatever CT's basis is for the endorsement, it is an historic milestone for the LP. Its impact is limited to bragging rights, however, due to the diminishing influence of the fading legacy media. Based on CT's last two endorsements of Obama, despite its historic persona the paper may now have evolved to a center-left stance nationally, where they are inclined against conservatives but still open to a Republican-ish lite figure like Johnson. As for Trump's lack of backing by the dying newspaper industry, he should wear that as a badge of honor. Who needs to be endorsed by a corpse?
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Do newspaper endorsements even really matter? I mean is it any different than Rand Paul claiming to have hundreds of endorsements, which turned out to be nothing more than average Joe's endorsing, which really did nothing to help his campaign? Who even reads the newspaper anymore? Social media replaced newspapers much like the Model T replaced the horse drawn carriage.

IMHO this is something that just really doesn't matter any more.
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Every post this ridiculous Trump fixation, it is getting old.

After the election like they always do the media evaluates the results and calls whatever a mandate for this or that policy based on numbers. They will do the same with GJ if he pulls in good numbers and the one thing that is most important to the establishment is open borders and TPP. They will call it a mandate for those policies and ignore everything else.

If I worried about my so called "dear leader" I would not have said twice in the other thread to you, now three times in this thread saying people should rather write-in Ron, Rand or vote for Daryl Castle instead of Gary Johnson. Not everything is about Trump no matter your ridiculous Trump witch hunt campaign or whatever it is.
    Any trump supporter would prefer a write in vote over voting for Gary Johnson because then the votes will be taken from Gary Johnson and Trump will have a better chance of winning the election. So your point makes no sense

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Everyone on this forums knows that mainstream media sources are worthless garbage. Their endorsements are also garbage regardless of who they favor.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    I think you are overestimating the impact immigration and free-trade have on creating poverty and at least understating the impact the state has on creating poverty through regulation and taxation. Some of these worse off black communities share in the responsibility for creating cyclical poverty in their disregard for property rights. But in general it is the government prohibiting or making more expensive the operation of a business that would cause them to relocate. And it is high wages and a labor shortage that would cause an immigrant to relocate. Labor and trade protectionism violates the NAP and misses the root cause of the poverty.
    I agree to the extent that you are describing the other half of the poverty issue. I believe for a variety of reasons that a libertarian society is only achievable and able to exist within our own borders which of course would be without labor or trade protectionism.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gary should start getting more endorsements since everyone's jumping ship from the Trump audio tape scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelgood View Post
    Do newspaper endorsements even really matter? I mean is it any different than Rand Paul claiming to have hundreds of endorsements, which turned out to be nothing more than average Joe's endorsing, which really did nothing to help his campaign? Who even reads the newspaper anymore? Social media replaced newspapers much like the Model T replaced the horse drawn carriage.

IMHO this is something that just really doesn't matter any more.
    Newspaper endorsements help with public perception of Gary a legitimate candidate and help directly with those in the circulation of the newspaper...

You may not care but many people still do, its the entire libertarian bubble thing all over again, the world does not revolve around us and our 1% of the usual general electorate share.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll