Thread: Obama Signs Bill Mandating GMO Labeling

Obama Signs Bill Mandating GMO Labeling

Congressman Thomas Massie
    5 hrs ·

President Obama recently signed a federal law overturning individual state GMO labeling laws. The new law requires labeling of GMO's, but the federal mandate can be satisfied using machine readable bar codes.

Some of my colleagues voted no on this bill because they believe it violates the 10th amendment. Some voted no because they don't want any labels on GMOs (federal or state, barcode or English). Some voted no because they believe this legislation is actually designed to prevent consumers from knowing which foods contain GMOs. I voted no, compelled mainly by the first reason.

Here are the Senate and House roll call votes... In English, but with obscure bill names. At least the votes aren't in barcode yet. ‪#‎sassywithmassie‬

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2016/roll466.xml

http://www.senate.gov/…/roll_call_l…..._vote_cfm.cfm…

A bill that creates a federal labeling standard for foods containing genetically modified ingredients (commonly called GMOs) was signed into law by President Barack Obama today.

“This measure will provide new opportunities for consumers to have access to information about their food,” Katie Hill, a White House spokeswoman, told ABC News.

Two weeks ago, Congress passed the legislation which would require food packages to display an electronic code, text label, or some sort of symbol signifying whether or not they contain GMOs, according to The Associated Press.

The exact details will need to be worked out by the Department of Agriculture, which will have up to two years to write the rules, The AP reports.

The news agency says that the law was largely supported by the food industry, which wished to see a national standard set for labeling products with GMOs, rather than separate and varying laws passed by states.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/obama-signs...ry?id=41004057
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know many here don't agree with this bill but I don't want to eat GMOs and I think this is one way to keep me from eating them. I wish GMOs would be banned maybe this will help that along too.

selling gmo products should long have been weeded out of the markets by contract law and fraud claims

In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. Fraud itself can be a civil wrong (i.e., a fraud victim may sue the fraud perpetrator to avoid the fraud and/or recover monetary compensation), a criminal wrong (i.e., a fraud perpetrator may be prosecuted and imprisoned by governmental authorities) or it may cause no loss of money, property or legal right but still be an element of another civil or criminal wrong.[1] The purpose of fraud may be monetary gain or other benefits, such as obtaining a driver's license or qualifying for a mortgage by way of false statements.[2]
    Selling corn with genetic material of some other organism while labelling it "corn" without disclosure that you're deliberately deceiving your customers is fraud.

Plain and simple. No need for "regulation" and label standards.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I know many here don't agree with this bill but I don't want to eat GMOs and I think this is one way to keep me from eating them. I wish GMOs would be banned maybe this will help that along too.
    I say AWESOME!
    There is no spoon.

I agree completely with Massie's "no" vote, and his reason for it.

Having said that ...

The news agency says that the law was largely supported by the food industry, which wished to see a national standard set for labeling products with GMOs, rather than separate and varying laws passed by states.
    If they wanted to, they could easily work up a set of industry standards without any federal or state government involvement at all.

In fact, if demand for such labeling was sufficient, something like that would already have been in place and widely adopted - IF we had anything remotely resembling a free market.

But we don't. And so what they actually want is what they got - a mandated labeling scheme that allows for obfuscated labels (such as barcodes), but that also lets them say something like, "the Feds are making us label GMOs now, so shut up about it and leave us alone."

IOW: The worst of both worlds ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-31-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I would like to know the reason Obummer supported it .

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I hope you have a smart phone to read the label with.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I agree completely with Massie's "no" vote, and his reason for it.

Having said that ...

If they wanted to, they could easily work up a set of industry standards without any federal or state government involvement at all.

In fact, if demand for such labeling was sufficient, something like that would already have been in place and widely adopted - IF we had anything remotely resembling a free market.

But we don't. And so what they actually want is what they got - a mandated labeling scheme that allows for obfuscated labels (such as barcodes), but that also lets them say something like, "the Feds are making us label GMOs now, so shut up about it and leave us alone."

IOW: The worst of both worlds ...
    I wanna know if GMOs are in foods. Otherwise- get rid of ALL labeling and .gov meddling in what people eat- like raw milk, for $#@!'s sake.
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    federal law overturning individual state GMO labeling laws.
    The kind of law we don't need, if they can do that next will be federal laws overturning constitutional carry, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    The kind of law we don't need, if they can do that next will be federal laws overturning constitutional carry, etc.
    Slippery slope, indeed.

Suzanimal needs to spread it around before giving it to Bad Giraffe again.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I would like to know the reason Obummer supported it .
    #1 Feel good

#2 Grow government

I'll betcha a dime to a dollar that the consumers diet doesn't really change while government inspectors and enforcement SWAT teams thrive...

Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaline?.... A Crummy Commercial?... Son of a B*tch...

Last edited by Leaning Libertarian; 07-31-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Alphabetical by Senator Name
    Alexander (R-TN), Yea
    Ayotte (R-NH), Yea
    Baldwin (D-WI), Yea
    Barrasso (R-WY), Yea
    Bennet (D-CO), Yea
    Blumenthal (D-CT), Nay
    Blunt (R-MO), Yea
    Booker (D-NJ), Nay
    Boozman (R-AR), Yea
    Boxer (D-CA), Not Voting
    Brown (D-OH), Yea
    Burr (R-NC), Yea
    Cantwell (D-WA), Nay
    Capito (R-WV), Yea
    Cardin (D-MD), Nay
    Carper (D-DE), Yea
    Casey (D-PA), Yea
    Cassidy (R-LA), Yea
    Coats (R-IN), Not Voting
    Cochran (R-MS), Yea
    Collins (R-ME), Nay
    Coons (D-DE), Not Voting
    Corker (R-TN), Yea
    Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
    Cotton (R-AR), Yea
    Crapo (R-ID), Yea
    Cruz (R-TX), Yea
    Daines (R-MT), Yea
    Donnelly (D-IN), Yea
    Durbin (D-IL), Nay
    Enzi (R-WY), Yea
    Ernst (R-IA), Yea
    Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
    Fischer (R-NE), Yea
    Flake (R-AZ), Nay
    Franken (D-MN), Yea
    Gardner (R-CO), Yea
    Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay
    Graham (R-SC), Not Voting
    Grassley (R-IA), Yea
    Hatch (R-UT), Yea
    Heinrich (D-NM), Nay
    Heitkamp (D-ND), Yea
    Heller (R-NV), Not Voting
    Hirono (D-HI), Yea
    Hoeven (R-ND), Yea
    Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
    Isakson (R-GA), Yea
    Johnson (R-WI), Yea
    Kaine (D-VA), Yea
    King (I-ME), Nay
    Kirk (R-IL), Yea
    Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
    Lankford (R-OK), Yea
    Leahy (D-VT), Nay
    Lee (R-UT), Not Voting
    Manchin (D-WV), Yea
    Markey (D-MA), Nay
    McCain (R-AZ), Yea
    McCaskill (D-MO), Yea
    McConnell (R-KY), Yea
    Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
    Merkley (D-OR), Nay
    Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
    Moran (R-KS), Yea
    Murkowski (R-AK), Nay
    Murphy (D-CT), Nay
    Murray (D-WA), Nay
    Nelson (D-FL), Yea
    Paul (R-KY), Nay
    Perdue (R-GA), Yea
    Peters (D-MI), Yea
    Portman (R-OH), Yea
    Reed (D-RI), Nay
    Reid (D-NV), Nay
    Risch (R-ID), Yea
    Roberts (R-KS), Yea
    Rounds (R-SD), Yea
    Rubio (R-FL), Yea
    Sanders (I-VT), Nay
    Sasse (R-NE), Nay
    Schatz (D-HI), Nay
    Schumer (D-NY), Nay
    Scott (R-SC), Yea
    Sessions (R-AL), Nay
    Shaheen (D-NH), Yea
    Shelby (R-AL), Yea
    Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
    Sullivan (R-AK), Nay
    Tester (D-MT), Nay
    Thune (R-SD), Yea
    Tillis (R-NC), Yea
    Toomey (R-PA), Yea
    Udall (D-NM), Nay
    Vitter (R-LA), Not Voting
    Warner (D-VA), Yea
    Warren (D-MA), Nay
    Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
    Wicker (R-MS), Yea
    Wyden (D-OR), Nay
    http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=2&vote=00123
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    #1 Feel good

#2 Grow government

I'll betcha a dime to a dollar that the consumers diet doesn't really change while government inspectors and enforcement SWAT teams thrive...
    Yeah , I doubt it changes sales figures as well.