Thread: Canton Township brothers fined $550,000 for cutting down trees on their own property

Canton Township brothers fined $550,000 for cutting down trees on their own property

H/T LRC
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...-not-your-own/

CANTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Two brothers in Canton Township are fighting heavy fines for removing trees on their own property.

Matt and Gary Percy didn't get required permits to remove trees from a piece of property that's surrounded by an industrial park. They thought they could use a farming exemption because of how they want to use the land, but a township lawsuit alleges they were wrong.

"There's an injunction that we cannot touch the property," Matt Percy said. "Yes, it's our property."

The brothers want to start a Christmas tree farm on the property behind the trucking business they've owned for 30 years off of Belleville Road.

"It's just been a nightmare for us," Matt Percy said.

The nightmare is the legal battle that began after they clear-cut the property.

"There were dead ash trees, cottonwoods and buckthorn and invasive trees -- diseases too," Matt Percy said. "It was almost a benefit to take these down, in that respect."

The township sent out an arborist, who determined the tree ordinance had been violated. The township said it would settle for $450,000.

The Percys refused, and now Canton Township is suing.

"I think it's unjust, unfair, unscientific," Matt Percy said. "I think it is undemocratic in every sense that you own the property, you own the trees, but then you get fined for taking the trees down."

Township officials said it's not a government overreach. They said it's no different than what any developer had to do, which is make a payment to the township's tree fund for not replacing trees.

However, the Percys have already planted 1,000 trees, with plans for 1,500 more.

"We think trees are a big benefit, but for certain ones that (are) invasive, they need to be taken care of," Matt Percy said.

The Percys' lawyers have to respond to the lawsuit by Friday, but there's a bill in the state Senate that could make the entire case moot. It would basically exempt industrial areas from such tree ordinances.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...EAfVUN3l1AdNaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    According to government there is no such thing as government over reach.
    "The Patriarch"

That's interesting. I live right around the block from this. I could practically walk there.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    That's interesting. I live right around the block from this. I could practically walk there.
    You should break in and cut down some more of their trees. They can't fine them if you burgle them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Michigan.. again

just try to imagine my surprised face

But hey,, They just passed the very BEST Cannabis Legalization in the country,,, so give them a few years for the increased brain activity to alter the Status Quo.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

"There's an injunction that we cannot touch the property," Matt Percy said. "Yes, it's our property."
    No, it is not.

You do not own that.

None of us do.

Every one of us just rents it from the local liege-lords, with some of us having greater allowances than others.

But you don't own $#@!.

"I think it's unjust, unfair, unscientific," Matt Percy said. "I think it is undemocratic in every sense that you own the property, you own the trees, but then you get fined for taking the trees down."
    No it's not.

You're just learning the hard way who really owns what.

Move along now, knave.

A senator introduced legislation to stop this. It passed the Michigan Senate so far:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...Ep8tof02gMXk3I

Cities complain it strips too much local control since it could eliminate all tree ordinances.
    Last edited by EBounding; 12-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    A senator introduced legislation to stop this. Not sure where it stands:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...Ep8tof02gMXk3I

Cities complain it strips too much local control.
    The City of Canton Needs some controls apparently... Finding piles of Dead Babies in several locations..

convinced there are larger problems in Canton.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...it/1657567002/

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ns/2010387002/

https://www.wlns.com/news/michigan/c...ion/1644161508
    Last edited by pcosmar; 12-07-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.