Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uber self-driving car kills pedestrian in first fatal autonomous crash

Ya I agree, it's amazing what you can see at night in the dark that a camera won't pickup, unless it has a flash..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya I agree, it's amazing what you can see at night in the dark that a camera won't pickup, unless it has a flash..

Actually, the system should see (detect) more in the dark than a human.

Uber and Waymo, which was spun off from Google, use lidar and radar technology, along with computer vision, to help guide the vehicle.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/20/us/self-driving-uber-pedestrian-killed.html

[IMG]https://static01.********/newsgraphics/2018/03/20/self-driving-uber-death/2c7f6d822fd34bb257293061ffccfdbcf5d74517/car-diagram-945.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by Danke; 03-22-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Actually, the system should see (detect) more in the dark than a human.
    [URL="https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/20/us/self-driving-uber-pedestrian-killed.html"]
    Sounds good in theory, doesn't it?

There are a few different types of technologies that are used in autonomous driving systems. Uber and Waymo, which was spun off from Google, use lidar and radar technology, along with computer vision, to help guide the vehicle.

A self-driving car’s sensors gather data on nearby objects, like their size and rate of speed. It categorizes the objects — as cyclists, pedestrians or other cars and objects — based on how they are likely to behave.
    The thing is, the radar is liable to be optimized for spotting certain things like curbs, rather than spotting things moving into the path of the vehicle, as demonstrated by where the units are mounted in that diagram. And isn't optimal for spotting soft tissue like human clothing and flesh, which is pretty stealthy. Lidar requires a reflective thing to bounce laser beams off of, which black clothing is not, and I believe it sends pulses rather than a continual sweep. And as I mentioned, any camera which is optimized to make a picture that looks good is not optimized to show objects which are either underexposed or overexposed compared to the bulk of the surroundings--which means that specialized cameras need to be developed, as all existing cameras are designed to make pretty pictures.

Add in the fact that they don't seem interested in adding sound detectors and they certainly aren't stuffing IBM's Watson in the trunk of the vehicle, and I think it's safe to say these things are blind, deaf and dumb--especially at night.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-22-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This is precisely what I was coming in here to say.

The ever $#@!ing computers cannot intuit that there is a potential obstacle/incident about to happen.

They can only react to outside stimulus or pre-programming.

Motorcycle riding requires this sort of foresight, or you will end up dead.
    So it's a safe bet you won't be signing up to test the first self-driving motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I watched it about 10 times. I can't see her until she's in the headlights. The car should have probably been able to detect her because it has better sensory inputs. But I'm not sure this is a reason to scrap the technology.
    Acptulsa pretty much covered it. The camera is very different from a human eye in the real world. There is still the potential that it was so dark that the person in the street was invisible, but probably not completely. We will never know for sure, as the back-up human eyes were on a cell phone at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Are you out of your mind?

A human would not have been able to stop in time even if they were looking. Swerve and avoid? maybe but unlikely.

This is clearly the fault of the idiot pedestrian who was:
    Are you high?

At a higher speed, swerving is usually the best method to avoid, but with enough warning, stopping is often possible.

And yes, it is a Darwin Award candidate who walks out on busy streets at night in front of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Doubtful. The car could have been relying on that very camera. The car's low beams were certainly aimed too low--polite to oncoming drivers, but not too useful. Most human eyes would have detected her in spite of that. Cameras adjust their aperture so they get the right amount of light in the largest part of their field if view. Human eyes do, too--but human eyes and brains have a much greater ability to see what is in the rest of the field of view--even if it's too bright or too dark--than any camera.

Regardless of what you see in the video, the "attendant" would have seen the victim in time to do something, had she been looking.

I'd have been able to change lanes safely and in time driving anything smaller than a tractor-trailer. And even in a semi I might have been able to spare her life, though probably not without damage to the vehicle.

And the lane was clear, too. That senseless death would have easily been avoided, had any human that didn't have night blindness been in that car behaving responsibly.

And no, Matt, I did not say the pedestrian demonstrated a lick of sense. I'm just saying that whether there was time to stop or not, there was all the time in the world to change to the left lane.
    That about covers it. I'll bet by the end the human driver will end up with some repercussions. Odds are, the contract for being a test driver includes that they must be diligent and follow all laws the same as if they were driving themselves. And the driver facing camera is a witness to lack of attention.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That about covers it. I'll bet by the end the human driver will end up with some repercussions. Odds are, the contract for being a test driver includes that they must be diligent and follow all laws the same as if they were driving themselves. And the driver facing camera is a witness to lack of attention.
    Yeah, I can't see how the driver could rightfully get out of some serious charges, it was clearly a case of distracted driving. No different than if it was a non-robot car. I doubt the law makes a distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Yeah, I can't see how the driver could rightfully get out of some serious charges, it was clearly a case of distracted driving. No different than if it was a non-robot car. I doubt the law makes a distinction.
    The driver's only possible defense is that the pedestrian was not in a crosswalk. Which should work in court, but seems awfully weak in humanitarian terms.

I'd have been able to change lanes safely and in time driving anything smaller than a tractor-trailer. And even in a semi I might have been able to spare her life, though probably not without damage to the vehicle.

And the lane was clear, too. That senseless death would have easily been avoided, had any human that didn't have night blindness been in that car behaving responsibly.
    Unlikely anyone's reaction time was enough to swerve in time.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Incorrect.

That is by looking at the video, but it is very possible the driver, had they been attentive, could have seen them in the shadows. You know how $#@!ty cell phone video and pictures, and video in general is at night without a light source.

But we will never know, because they weren't looking and the situation would be difficult to recreate precisely.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Regardless of what you see in the video, the "attendant" would have seen the victim in time to do something, had she been looking.
    Do something, yes. But not enough time to brake and/or swerve entirely.

And I'm telling all of you I have changed lanes in less space than that in a five thousand pound 1971 Imperial Lebaron, riding on four bias ply tires, while going faster than that.

And I'm talking about the distance at which she becomes visible in the video, never mind the distance at which she became visible to the naked eye.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-22-2018 at 01:16 PM.

even a slight reaction might have prevented death though.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Acptulsa pretty much covered it. The camera is very different from a human eye in the real world.
    Self-driving cars use a lot more than a camera to "see."

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    even a slight reaction might have prevented death though.
    Human drivers hit people every day. So far, I suspect the robots have a much better track record than we do.

If anyone doubts the human eye can do better than a camera, try this: Wait until dark, gather three or four pretty girls and a camera, and go to where you have a nice view of a city skyline. Gather the girls together in the foreground with the lights in the buildings in the background, and take a picture.

The only way you'll reproduce what your eye sees in a picture is to either push the exposure to the point where you get movement blur, or take two pics--one with flash and one without--and combine them using photoshop or some such program.

Self-driving cars use a lot more than a camera to "see."
    And in this case, those systems clearly failed. Or do you think the car was programmed to plow into obstacles in the road if they aren't in crosswalks?

Human drivers hit people every day. So far, I suspect the robots have a much better track record than we do.
    Per hundred miles driven? Not even close. Computer cars' record as an accident rate is abysmal.

I'm not saying this technology is going nowhere. What I'm saying to you is, it ain't ready for prime time.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-22-2018 at 01:10 PM.

How do you know? If he was paying attention, he may have seen her in the shadows and slowed down like 5 seconds before the crash happened..

But there are only a few of them and millions of us.. I don't think their track record is all that great, but you would have to do an analysis of miles driven.

Anyone here ever heard the phrase taught in Driver's Ed, "overdriving your headlights"? The premise is that you should be able to stop in time to avoid anything that becomes visible in your headlights.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...nd-bad-weather

"Overdriving your headlights

You are overdriving your headlights when you go so fast that your stopping distance is farther than you can see with your headlights. This is a dangerous thing to do, because you may not give yourself enough room to make a safe stop. Reflective road signs can mislead you as well, making you believe you can see farther than you really can. This may cause you to over-drive your headlights if you are not careful "
    Last edited by Madison320; 03-22-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    How do you know? ..
    The same way everybody else knows that any and every human would certainly stopped in time, I suppose.

The same way everybody else knows that any and every human would certainly stopped in time, I suppose.
    1/2 the 'humans' I see are thumb-$#@!ing their phones behind the wheel........

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    1/2 the 'humans' I see are thumb-$#@!ing their phones behind the wheel........
    Exactly. Even before cell phones they mess with the radio, they read books, they put on make up. Humans are imperfect.

Exactly. Even before cell phones they mess with the radio, they read books, they put on make up. Humans are imperfect.
    I used to drink beer, roll joints and fool around with the ol' lady goin' down the road...

Now every busybody will call and turn you in....

I have not seen one single person say anyone could have stopped in time. What are you reading and why are you coming here to bitch about it?

THE DRIVER IS RESPONSIBLE. From my earliest driver training.

The driver is always prepared to stop.. at any obstacle..

"Failure to maintain control" is a common charge.

AI was driving,, but it will be blamed on the schmuck that signed up,,cuz he's a felon.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I just wrote an article on this topic for steemit, if anybody has an account would be cool to get some upvotes

Did Self-driving Cars Just Hit a Major Setback?

https://steemit.com/liberty/@dannnor...-major-setback

Sounds good in theory, doesn't it?

The thing is, the radar is liable to be optimized for spotting certain things like curbs, rather than spotting things moving into the path of the vehicle, as demonstrated by where the units are mounted in that diagram. And isn't optimal for spotting soft tissue like human clothing and flesh, which is pretty stealthy. Lidar requires a reflective thing to bounce laser beams off of, which black clothing is not, and I believe it sends pulses rather than a continual sweep. And as I mentioned, any camera which is optimized to make a picture that looks good is not optimized to show objects which are either underexposed or overexposed compared to the bulk of the surroundings--which means that specialized cameras need to be developed, as all existing cameras are designed to make pretty pictures.

Add in the fact that they don't seem interested in adding sound detectors and they certainly aren't stuffing IBM's Watson in the trunk of the vehicle, and I think it's safe to say these things are blind, deaf and dumb--especially at night.

A well designed system can detect more than the human eye can. Obviously what is currently being offered to the public is not up to prime time.

From what we have seen so far appears to be lack such additions as infrared and "night vision" type cameras.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

http://ideas.4brad.com/it-certainly-looks-bad-uber

excerpts:
    The road is empty of other cars. Here are the big issues:
    1.On this empty road, the LIDAR is very capable of detecting her. If it was operating, there is no way that it did not detect her 3 to 4 seconds before the impact, if not earlier. She would have come into range just over 5 seconds before impact.
    2.On the dash-cam style video, we only see her 1.5 seconds before impact. However, the human eye and quality cameras have a much better dynamic range than this video, and should have also been able to see her even before 5 seconds. From just the dash-cam video, no human could brake in time with just 1.5 seconds warning. The best humans react in just under a second, many take 1.5 to 2.5 seconds.
    3.The human safety driver did not see her because she was not looking at the road. She seems to spend most of the time before the accident looking down to her right, in a style that suggests looking at a phone.
    4.While a basic radar which filters out objects which are not moving towards the car would not necessarily see her, a more advanced radar also should have detected her and her bicycle (though triggered no braking) as soon as she entered the lane to the left, probably 4 seconds before impact at least. Braking could trigger 2 seconds before, in theory enough time.)

To be clear, while the car had the right-of-way and the victim was clearly unwise to cross there, especially without checking regularly in the direction of traffic, this is a situation where any properly operating robocar following "good practices," let alone "best practices," should have avoided the accident regardless of pedestrian error. That would not be true if the pedestrian were crossing the other way, moving immediately into the right lane from the right sidewalk. In that case no technique could have avoided the event.
    Much more indepth write-up at the link

To be clear, while the car had the right-of-way and the victim was clearly unwise to cross there, especially without checking regularly in the direction of traffic, this is a situation where any properly operating robocar following "good practices," let alone "best practices," should have avoided the accident regardless of pedestrian error. That would not be true if the pedestrian were crossing the other way, moving immediately into the right lane from the right sidewalk. In that case no technique could have avoided the event.
    Not using braking alone. But a car can change lanes in far, far less distance than is required to stop. Both those distances increase with speed, but the basic fact holds true at anything above jogging speed.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Going north by Marquee Theater to show how misleading the video from the Uber vehicle was. Point of accident is the darker area I'm reaching at about 33 seconds in.

Disgraceful Dashcam Video Proves Uber Is the Theranos of Self-Driving
    This much is clear: Uber is culpable in the death of Elaine Herzberg.

...Two weeks ago, The Drive published "The Human Driving Manifesto," in which I claimed there was absolutely no evidence self-driving cars were safer than humans—at least not yet—and that we have a moral obligation to improve human driving safety even regardless.

Little did I know how prescient that would turn out to be.

Yesterday I wrote "Elaine Herzberg's Death Isn't Uber's Tragedy. It's Ours," in which I called out the hypocrisy of a country that tolerates 100 deaths by human drivers a day, but won't tolerate one by machine. I was referring, of course, to the tragic death of Elaine Herzberg, who was struck and killed by a self-driving Uber test vehicle this past Sunday in Tempe, Arizona, just one of ten pedestrians killed in that state last week.

I was trying to give Uber the benefit of the doubt. I was wrong.

Not only was I wrong, but The Human Driving Manifesto—which I jokingly wrote in response to the ever increasing storm of self-driving clickbait—was more accurate than I ever could have guessed, because now that the Tempe police have release dashcam footage of the fatal crash, all of the following points are perfectly clear:

Uber is guilty of killing Elaine Herzberg.
    Uber's hardware and/or software failed.
    Many people at Uber need to be fired.
    The Arizona officials who greenlit testing need to resign.
    One or more people need to be prosecuted.
    The SAE Automation Classification System is vague and unsafe.
    Uber is the Theranos of self-driving.
    Volvo—one of the few car makers that truly cares about safety—is innocent and shouldn't be in bed with their craven opposites.
    Even if you believe self-driving cars may someday reduce road fatalities—and I do believe that—this dashcam video is an icepick in the face of the argument that anyone at Uber gives a damn about anyone's safety, including that of their own test drivers.

I've long suspected that 99% of claims from self-driving companies were BS, but I didn't think it was this bad:
    A slow moving pedestrian at night—well beyond human line of sight—is precisely what radar and Lidar sensors are supposed to see. This is precisely the type of crash self-driving cars are designed to prevent.
    What is the purpose of a safety driver? To take control—whether it's steering or braking—in order to prevent an impact the self-driving car cannot. That didn't happen here. Why not? Partially because it was at night and the headlights may not have illuminated Herzberg until it was too late, and partially because the safety driver wasn't paying attention. The safety driver doesn't appear to have applied the brakes until after the impact, further indicating lack of readiness. I'm not convinced this particular "safety" driver could have done better even in daylight. Her eyes are glued to whatever device is in her hand.

The safety driver certainly bears some moral responsibility, and depending on the nature of her employment contract, she may bear some legal responsibility as well.

And that's before we know anything about what kind of training, if any, Uber gives its "safety" drivers.

Oh, did I mentioned that the driver had a history of traffic violations dating back to 1998? And that Uber claimed she passed all background checks? Uber, you've got a minimum standard problem.
    More: http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/1950...f-self-driving
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-24-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast