Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: First case of China-linked coronavirus reported in US

This account is under investigation or was found in violation of the Medium Rules.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Getting to be too many to keep track of now...

There are now 11 cases of the new coronavirus confirmed in the United Sates. Six are in California, two are in Illinois and there is one each in Arizona, Massachusetts and Washington state, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (See the map above for locations with confirmed cases).
    In the United States, nine of the 11 people with the virus had recently traveled to Wuhan. There are two cases of transmission between spouses.

San Benito County: A 57-year-old man who had traveled to Wuhan was tested positive for the virus and subsequently transmitted it to his wife, according to officials on Sunday.

Santa Clara County: The first Bay Area case was identified on Jan. 31; a man returned from Wuhan and Shanghai on Jan. 24 and only left his home for medical care. A second unrelated case was confirmed in the county on Feb. 1 — a woman who had visited Wuhan stayed at home except to go to a medical clinic on two separate occasions.

Los Angeles County: A resident of Wuhan tested positive for the virus in a screening while transiting through LAX on his return trip to China on Jan. 22.

Orange County: A man travelling from Wuhan tested positive for the virus on Jan. 26 and is in isolation.

Boston: A man in his 20s tested positive for the virus and health officials confirmed the case on Feb 2.

Chicago: A woman in her 60s was confirmed to have the virus on Jan. 24, and less than a week later her husband was diagnosed.

Tempe, Arizona: On Jan. 26, a man who had recently returned from Wuhan identified as having the virus.

Washington state: A 30-something man tested positive on Jan. 21 and was the first confirmed case in the country. The patient from Snohomish County was in satisfactory condition as of Thursday, according to KOMO.
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...S-15026142.php
    The new cases include a Massachusetts resident and four Californians. Four of the five had traveled to Wuhan, China -- epicenter for the outbreak of the virus, known as 2019 n-CoV -- while the fifth involved a "close contact" with one of the travelers.

That last case is the second involving person-to-person transmission that has been confirmed in the United States, officials.
    https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020...5131580747448/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Getting to be too many to keep track of now...
    But there is good news:

In the United States, nine of the 11 people with the virus had recently traveled to Wuhan. There are two cases of transmission between spouses.
    If that doesn't change then the US should get off lightly.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Coronavirus: death toll passes Sars virus as dozens more die in Wuhan

The foreign ministry issued an urgent appeal for protective medical equipment as the total number of casualties reached 361, surpassing deaths in mainland China caused by the 2002-03 Sars virus. The number of infections also jumped, passing 17,200.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...outbreak-hubei
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Nothing like fleeing in a plane while you are infected...wonder if he had a mask on for the entire flight?

The LA patient alerted authorities that he wasn't feeling well upon arriving at Los Angeles International Airport. The patient was taken by ambulance to a hospital, health officials said at a Sunday news conference.

"Everything worked as it should," said Dr. Sharon Balter with the LA County Department of Public Health. "The patient presented for care, the patient was immediately transported to a hospital, the patient has remained in the hospital."

Officials did not provide details about the patient, except to say that the individual was a traveler from Wuhan, China.
    https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...irmed/2298402/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The novel coronavirus identified at the end of December has infected more than 20,000 people around the world.
    The outbreak originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. China's Health Commission reported Sunday that among those infected there, 475 people have made full recoveries and 361 have died. The rest are still being treated.
    Zhan Qingyuan, director of pneumonia prevention and treatment at the China-Japan Friendship Hospital, said even people who have recovered may not be immune to the virus.
    "For those patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of a relapse," he said in a briefing on Friday. "The antibody will be generated; however, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long."

"With many infectious diseases, a person can develop immunity against a specific strain after exposure or infection," Amira Roess, a professor of Global Health and Epidemiology at George Mason University, told Business Insider. "Often, that person will not get sick again upon subsequent exposure to it. Regarding this specific strain of coronavirus, scientists are working to answer this question."
    Doctors and virologists don't yet know enough about the Wuhan coronavirus to say whether humans develop full immunity after they've contracted the illness. According to Zhan, doctors aren't sure that the antibodies patients develop are strong or long-lasting enough to keep them from contracting the disease again.

More at: https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...fection-2020-2

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Devout Muslims will not catch the coronavirus, so they are safe.

Someone in China after the virus got loose:

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

* * * Update (0108ET): A woman was reportedly shot dead by police after attempting to breach a quarantine blockade in Wuzu Town approximately 50 miles from Wuhan.

At Wuzu Town, Huangmei County in #Hubei , a woman was said to have shot dead after she attempted to break the blockade set up to contain #coronavirus . 湖北省黄梅县五祖镇 , 据说这名妇女因强闯 #武汉肺炎 封锁线被警察打死。#CoronavirusOutbreak
    何不 #全民自救 #全民互救pic.twitter.com/HqEvzSknz2
    — 曾錚 Jennifer Zeng (@jenniferatntd) February 4, 2020
    Elsewhere:
    A medic wants to take woman's temperature. She refuses. They beat each other. #Coronavirus panic. #WuhanCoronavirus #CoronavirusOutbreak
    男子给女子量体温,女子不干,两人大打出手。#武汉肺炎 恐慌中,我们还要看多少众生态?
    为何不 #全民自救 #全民互救 #不怕中共 #戰勝恐懼 #傳播真相pic.twitter.com/W3ZRlTlxhm
    In Nanchang, Jiangxi Province, someone failed to disclose he came from #Wuhan, and had been to everywhere. After he was confirmed to have #coronavirus, angry people beaten his family.
    南昌某小区,有人从武汉回来未上报,四处走动,确诊患 #武汉肺炎 后,家人遭追打 。 pic.twitter.com/HXQULU5pTB
    【武汉一周建成“方舱医院”】
    【床位相隔2尺、无阻隔】
    2月3日晚,武汉市建了三所“方舱医院”,分别是洪山体育馆(800床位)、武汉客厅(2000床位)、国 际会展中心(1000床位),专门收治轻症肺炎患者。
    有网民质疑,病人之间几乎零隔离,上千人共用有限洗手间和浴室设备,犹如一个集中营。

网上视频 pic.twitter.com/YbLE2XCFxz
    — 自由亚洲电台 (@RFA_Chinese) February 4, 2020
    Update (2120ET): According to Hong Kong State TV, officials just confirmed the first death from coronavirus: a 39-year-old patient has become the first to die in Hong Kong from an illness related to the deadly coronavirus. The man, who was being treated in Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung, died on Tuesday morning due to sudden heart failure, according to three medical sources.
    According to the government, the deceased man had lived in Whampoa Garden with his mother. She was confirmed on February 2 as Hong Kong’s 15th case, but did not have a recent history of travel.
    This is the second death outside of mainland China from the deadly virus.
    To make matters worse, thousands of Hong Kong medical workers went on strike for a second day on Tuesday to demand that leader Carrie Lam immediately close the city’s border with the mainland to prevent the spread of a deadly coronavirus.
    Update (1850ET): In what is by far the largest dump of coronavirus cases so for, Beijing just announced more than 3,000 new confirmed cases.
    Beijing is now reporting 3235 newly confirmed cases (2345 in Hubei Province) and 492 severe cases (442 in Hubei Province). And that's not all. China is reporting 171,329 cases under observation, up 18,629 overnight, along with 23,214 suspected cases.
    There are now 20,438 confirmed cases in China, and another 154 outside China, bringing the total global count to 20,592. Meanwhile, 632 have been cured and discharged.
    As a reminder, we don't know quite yet what the real mortality rate of nCoV-2019 is. It's still early days and nobody is sure of the numbers out of China. But Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health told CNBC on Monday that a quarter of China’s coronavirus cases require intensive treatment.
    "About 25% of them have very serious disease, requiring relatively intensive or really intensive care," said Fauci, the director of the NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Fauci has participated in some of the CDC's press conferences.
    Read the full statement from China's NIH below:
    At 04:00 on February 3, 31 provinces (autonomous regions, municipalities) and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps reported 3235 newly confirmed cases (2345 in Hubei Province) and 492 severe cases (442 in Hubei Province). There were 64 death cases (64 cases in Hubei Province), 157 newly cured cases (101 cases in Hubei Province), and 5,072 suspected cases (3182 cases in Hubei Province).
    As of 24:00 on February 3, the National Health and Health Commission has received a cumulative report of 20,438 confirmed cases (2 nuclear reductions in Heilongjiang Province) in 31 provinces (autonomous regions, municipalities) and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps. There are currently 2788 severe cases with cumulative deaths.
    There were 425 cases, 632 cases were cured and discharged, and there were 23214 suspected cases. At present, 221,015 close contacts have been tracked.
    12,755 people were released from medical observation on the same day, and 171,329 people are currently receiving medical observation. A total of 33 confirmed cases were reported in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan: 15 in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, 8 in the Macao Special Administrative Region, and 10 in Taiwan.
    So much for 'contained'...

Update (1840ET): A Korean newspaper just reported that President Xi may delay a planned visit to South Korea to focus on dealing with the coronavirus outbreak. Xi reportedly said during a Politburo meeting Monday that he would punish local officials for failing to successfully suppress the virus, a process of scapegoating that has already begun, as we noted earlier.
    Update (1720ET): It's early Tuesday morning and China, which means we're getting another batch of statistics about the coronavirus outbreak - statistics that likely underplay the severity of the outbreak.
    According to Chinese health authorities, 2,345 were confirmed on Monday, while another 64 died (including 48 in Wuhan alone).
    Hubei Province is now reporting 13,522 cases of coronavirus infection (including 6384 in Wuhan), while 58,544 are under observation across China. 46 new deaths were reported overnight, bringing the death toll in China to at least 425.
    For those who are keeping score at home, that's a 18% rise in deaths overnight.
    Another terrifying video shows a man collapsing in a virus-induced fit.
    Terrifying. Surveillance video catching the moment of man collapsing maybe dying in less than a minute during #CoronavirusOutbreak . No wonder so many fell on streets. 不到一分鐘就過去了。怪不得那麼多倒地斃的。#武漢肺炎 pic.twitter.com/5jjE1GnfT2
    — 曾錚 Jennifer Zeng (@jenniferatntd) February 3, 2020
    Meanwhile, President Xi is cracking the whip. According to the SCMP, at a meeting of the Politburo Standing Committee, President Xi Jinping said local cadres would be punished severely if they failed to heed Beijing’s orders to stop the virus from spreading.
    "[We] must treat the fight of the outbreak as the most important task at hand," Xi was quoted by state broadcaster CCTV as saying.
    Punishments of local officials has already started; more than 400 have already been 'penalized', according to Nikkei. Meanwhile, the party has acknowledged that it shouldn't have arrested a group of doctors in December for allegedly spreading 'disinformation' (they were trying to warn the world of the outbreak - yet the WHO has praised China for being 'transparent').

Looks like everything is under control.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ng-kong-closes

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A little bit of good news about coronavirus: The number of new cases outside mainland China is currently declining:
    Jan. 31: 28 new cases
    Feb. 1: 14 new cases
    Feb. 2: 11 new cases
    Feb. 3: 6 new cases
    — BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) February 3, 2020

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A little bit of good news about coronavirus: The number of new cases outside mainland China is currently declining:
    Jan. 31: 28 new cases
    Feb. 1: 14 new cases
    Feb. 2: 11 new cases
    Feb. 3: 6 new cases
    — BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) February 3, 2020
    This is going to be studied for decades to come. Transmission, susceptibility, quarantine, etc. is it really Asian males that are most at risk? Why hasn’t the spread outside China gone parabolic like inside?

This is some scary $#@! and I believe the commies know it, thus the overwhelming response. You don’t quarantine 60 million people, build hospitals and lock people in their homes for a nothingburger. Unfortunately, absent medical facilities to treat the ill, a full blown quarantine is the only way to combat the spread. Those poor peasants are living a real-life Contagion/Outbreak scenario.

Time will tell, due to the long incubation period, but it seems the risk to the rest of the world ex-ASEAN countries is small. The reported successful use of HIV/AIDS treatments along with traditional flu treatments is interesting considering the theory of a bio-engineered weapon getting loose (intentionally or otherwise).

USA may be far from its past glory and marching towards full blown socialism, but I’m glad I’m here with what freedoms I have left than just about anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    USA may be far from its past glory and marching towards full blown socialism, but I’m glad I’m here with what freedoms I have left than just about anywhere else.
    Reported, to The Texican.

Good news if there is no asymptomatic transmission.

Asymptomatic transmission of the novel coronavirus in Germany was called into doubt on Monday when an article appeared to question the research behind it.

Science magazine detailed errors in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) research letter published last Thursday. The letter reported that asymptomatic transmission of novel coronavirus occurred in Bavaria, Germany, when several co-workers of an asymptomatic woman traveling from China contracted the virus.

The letter, and several media reports, said that the woman wasn't sick when she was in Germany and only began to feel ill on the plane ride home. Turns out that wasn't quite true.

Researchers who wrote the NEJM letter did not speak to the woman herself, according to Science. But after she spoke to officials from the Robert Koch Institute, Germany's public health agency, and Bavarian officials, she said that she "felt tired, suffered from muscle pain," and took fever-lowering medication while in Germany.

While Germany's health agency spokespeople would only confirm that the woman had symptoms, the Robert Koch Institute has submitted a letter to NEJM, presumably to correct the record.

China has claimed to have data showing asymptomatic transmission occurring within the country, but U.S. health officials previously said that they did not have enough data to make that claim. That appeared to change after the publication of the NEJM letter.
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti...ichealth/84688

Good news if there is no asymptomatic transmission.
    Let’s hope. The non-China infections seem to follow this. Should know in a week or so.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://twitter.com/Koondey1/status/1224827004169490432

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Eerie footage of Wuhan engulfed in a thick fog has fuelled concerns the death toll inside coronavirus-hit China is “higher” than what’s been officially reported.
    Clips appear to show the city in a mysterious haze which residents say has “come out of nowhere”.
    The videos have led to concerns that the smog is the result of smoke from crematoriums burning coronavirus-infected bodies "24 hours a day".
    It comes a day after the National Health Commission in China ordered all coronavirus fatalities to be cremated, with burials and funerals banned, to prevent to spread of disease.
    Chinese nationals voiced their concerns on social media, suggesting the death toll could be "unthinkably higher" than reports if incinerators are running all day.

Residents have also expressed concern over the air pollution in city which hasn't dropped below Wuhan's annual average since last week.
    According to the World Air Map Wuhan’s pollution level is at “dangerous” with highs of 121 AQI, despite the fact the city has been in lockdown for over a week.

More at: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...-over-21426098

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    https://twitter.com/Koondey1/status/1224827004169490432

The guy has been on the verge of death since 2012. He could never give up alcohol.

A family history of liver disease plus alcohol was my undoing. In 2012, I developed chronic liver failure. After a few years living on the edge of death, I was fortunate enough to receive a liver transplant after relocating to Toronto. The transplant was a success and kept me alive to work on various publications and my HIV research. But, I soon went back to scotch to fill some void in me. Alcohol became an addiction at that point, not just a self-medicating stress releaser. I craved it.
    http://health.sunnybrook.ca/brain/br...-use-disorder/

The guy has been on the verge of death since 2012. He could never give up alcohol.
    It could be natural.
    Or it could have been convenient that he had bad health, I'm not going to assume it is natural if Bernie dies of another heart attack on the campaign trail.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://twitter.com/Perpetualmaniac/...49841797926912

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

China's civil aviation authority has urged domestic carriers to continue flying international routes as they consider cuts in response to a drop in demand due to the coronavirus outbreak, state news agency Xinhua reported on Tuesday.Airline capacity is being axed in the world's second largest aviation market with "the most dramatic change in schedules", OAG Aviation Worldwide Ltd said, adding that more than 25,000 flights to, from or within China will be canceled this week.
    The coronavirus epidemic, which has killed more than 400 people in China, has resulted in bans or restrictions on travel to and from China imposed by countries including Singapore and Italy. The World Health Organization's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, had said travel bans were unnecessary.
    The Civil Aviation Administration of China's appeal to the country's airlines was reported on Xinhua's account on Chinese messaging app Weibo.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...044618372.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

As many experts question the veracity of China's statistics for the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Tencent over the weekend seems to have inadvertently released what is potentially the actual number of infections and deaths, which were astronomically higher than official figures.
    On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.
    The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.
    Moments later, Tencent updated the numbers to reflect the government's "official" numbers that day. Netizens noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics.

Netizens also noticed that each time the screen with the large numbers appears, it shows a comparison with the previous day's data which demonstrates a "reasonable" incremental increase, much like comparisons of official numbers. This has led some netizens to speculate that Tencent has two sets of data, the real data and "processed" data.
    Some are speculating that a coding problem could be causing the real "internal" data to accidentally appear. Others believe that someone behind the scenes is trying to leak the real numbers.
    However, the "internal" data held by Beijing may not reflect the true extent of the epidemic. According to multiple sources in Wuhan, many coronavirus patients are unable to receive treatment and die outside of hospitals.
    A severe shortage of test kits also leads to a lower number of diagnosed cases of infection and death. In addition, there have been many reports of doctors being ordered to list other forms of death instead of coronavirus to keep the death toll artificially low.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A crematorium worker in Wuhan, China, confirmed that officials are working at an alarming pace to burn the bodies of the deceased in the city amid the coronavirus outbreak.
    "We need to pick up bodies when they call us. Every day, we need at least 100 body bags," a crematorium worker named Mr. Yun told the Epoch Times. “We can’t stop because we can’t leave the bodies outside for a long time."
    Wuhan officials were accused of cremating the dead in secret last week, and Mr. Yun claimed the rumors are true as China adopts "draconian measures" to treat the outbreak.
    Dramatic videos from Wuhan posted to social media apps this week show scenes of sorrow and panic as medical officials and police allegedly chase infected people through the streets and force patients, against their will, into ambulances headed to the hospitals. Other videos show officials spraying what is believed to be disinfectant spray from cement trucks onto deserted streets.
    China has turned sports halls and exhibition centers in Wuhan into 11 temporary hospitals to treat the epidemic that has killed almost 500 people — although figures from the Chinese government have been contested by Western outlets.

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...virus-outbreak

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And in 12th place, we have ... Madison, Wisconsin.

A person in Wisconsin has tested positive for the new coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, marking the first case in the state and the 12th case in the U.S., officials announced today (Feb. 5).

The patient is an adult who recently traveled to Beijing and had contact with people known to be infected with 2019-nCoV while in China, according to a statement from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS). The patient is now isolated at home and is doing well, officials said. The age and gender of the patient were not released.

After becoming ill, the patient did seek treatment at an emergency department in Madison, but was not admitted to the hospital, according to The New York Times. Hospital staff who came in contact with the patient are now being monitored for symptoms, the Times reported.
    https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...nsin-case.html

And in 12th place, we have ... Madison, Wisconsin.
    The patient is an adult who recently traveled to Beijing
    It's getting closer to @Danke.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

On February 4, there were 38 new cases outside mainland China, the biggest daily increase to date https://t.co/ZpVR3No4OK
    — BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) February 5, 2020

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast