Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul: We Must Demilitarize the Police

Rand Paul: We Must Demilitarize the Police

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Paul
    Anyone who thinks that race does not skew the application of criminal justice in this country is just not paying close enough attention. And the root of the problem is big government.

The shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown is an awful tragedy that continues to send shockwaves through the community of Ferguson, Missouri and across the nation.

If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot.

The outrage in Ferguson is understandable—though there is never an excuse for rioting or looting. There is a legitimate role for the police to keep the peace, but there should be a difference between a police response and a military response.

The images and scenes we continue to see in Ferguson resemble war more than traditional police action.

Glenn Reynolds, in Popular Mechanics, recognized the increasing militarization of the police five years ago. In 2009 he wrote:

Soldiers and police are supposed to be different. … Police look inward. They’re supposed to protect their fellow citizens from criminals, and to maintain order with a minimum of force.
    It’s the difference between Audie Murphy and Andy Griffith. But nowadays, police are looking, and acting, more like soldiers than cops, with bad consequences. And those who suffer the consequences are usually innocent civilians.

The Cato Institute’s Walter Olson observed this week how the rising militarization of law enforcement is currently playing out in Ferguson:

Why armored vehicles in a Midwestern inner suburb? Why would cops wear camouflage gear against a terrain patterned by convenience stores and beauty parlors? Why are the authorities in Ferguson, Mo. so given to quasi-martial crowd control methods (such as bans on walking on the street) and, per the reporting of Riverfront Times, the firing of tear gas at people in their own yards? (“‘This my property!’ he shouted, prompting police to fire a tear gas canister directly at his face.”) Why would someone identifying himself as an 82nd Airborne Army veteran, observing the Ferguson police scene, comment that “We rolled lighter than that in an actual warzone”?
    Olson added, “the dominant visual aspect of the story, however, has been the sight of overpowering police forces confronting unarmed protesters who are seen waving signs or just their hands.”

How did this happen?

Most police officers are good cops and good people. It is an unquestionably difficult job, especially in the current circumstances.

There is a systemic problem with today’s law enforcement.

Not surprisingly, big government has been at the heart of the problem. Washington has incentivized the militarization of local police precincts by using federal dollars to help municipal governments build what are essentially small armies—where police departments compete to acquire military gear that goes far beyond what most of Americans think of as law enforcement.

This is usually done in the name of fighting the war on drugs or terrorism. The Heritage Foundation’s Evan Bernick wrote in 2013 that, “the Department of Homeland Security has handed out anti-terrorism grants to cities and towns across the country, enabling them to buy armored vehicles, guns, armor, aircraft, and other equipment.”

Bernick continued, “federal agencies of all stripes, as well as local police departments in towns with populations less than 14,000, come equipped with SWAT teams and heavy artillery.”

Bernick noted the cartoonish imbalance between the equipment some police departments possess and the constituents they serve, “today, Bossier Parish, Louisiana, has a .50 caliber gun mounted on an armored vehicle. The Pentagon gives away millions of pieces of military equipment to police departments across the country—tanks included.”

When you couple this militarization of law enforcement with an erosion of civil liberties and due process that allows the police to become judge and jury—national security letters, no-knock searches, broad general warrants, pre-conviction forfeiture—we begin to have a very serious problem on our hands.

Given these developments, it is almost impossible for many Americans not to feel like their government is targeting them. Given the racial disparities in our criminal justice system, it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them.

This is part of the anguish we are seeing in the tragic events outside of St. Louis, Missouri. It is what the citizens of Ferguson feel when there is an unfortunate and heartbreaking shooting like the incident with Michael Brown.

Anyone who thinks that race does not still, even if inadvertently, skew the application of criminal justice in this country is just not paying close enough attention. Our prisons are full of black and brown men and women who are serving inappropriately long and harsh sentences for non-violent mistakes in their youth.

The militarization of our law enforcement is due to an unprecedented expansion of government power in this realm. It is one thing for federal officials to work in conjunction with local authorities to reduce or solve crime. It is quite another for them to subsidize it.

Americans must never sacrifice their liberty for an illusive and dangerous, or false, security. This has been a cause I have championed for years, and one that is at a near-crisis point in our country.

Let us continue to pray for Michael Brown’s family, the people of Ferguson, police, and citizens alike.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Sen. Rand Paul
    August 14, 2014

Anyone who thinks that race does not skew the application of criminal justice in this country is just not paying close enough attention. And the root of the problem is big government.

The shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown is an awful tragedy that continues to send shockwaves through the community of Ferguson, Missouri and across the nation.

If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot.

The outrage in Ferguson is understandable—though there is never an excuse for rioting or looting. There is a legitimate role for the police to keep the peace, but there should be a difference between a police response and a military response.

The images and scenes we continue to see in Ferguson resemble war more than traditional police action.

read more:
    http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

Pretty bold, and pretty dead on.

Excellent. Been waiting for the politicians to break the silence on this. First Amash, now Rand. Who else is going to stand up and lead?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

My god, he nailed it.

I didn't want him to weigh in here, but I can't imagine a more perfect response.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    My god, he nailed it.

I didn't want him to weigh in here, but I can't imagine a more perfect response.
    I also feel it was perfect. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for out of our politicians, especially Rand.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

How about Random Drug Tests for ALL Police?....

it's time.

Can't wait to see the outrage on the neocon/Todd Starnes right.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    for retweeting...

Good on Rand.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    How about Random Drug Tests for ALL Police?....

it's time.
    As long as the test includes a full panel of steroids, I'm on board with that! Steroids are rampant among police units. Rampant!

Rand posted this on his FB and could use some supportive comments. The usual bootlicking police defenders are out in full force claiming the police are not militarized at all and then there are others who claim they love the fact that police are militarized because they like being protected. Wtf! I hate people.

here the facebook link, at least vote up some positive comments if you don't have time to post your own.

https://www.facebook.com/RandPaul/po...52436787001107

Quote Originally Posted by mit26chell View Post
    Rand posted this on his FB and could use some supportive comments. The usual bootlicking police defenders are out in full force claiming the police are not militarized at all and then there are others who claim they love the fact that police are militarized because they like being protected. Wtf! I hate people.
    Spin: The growing web Troll industry
    http://www.brasschecktv.com/videos/s...-industry.html

Bump...

MSNBC is going to have a heart attack... A tea party conservatarian leading the way on issues of race, civil liberties, and police brutality???? What ever will the liberals do??
    Last edited by jllundqu; 08-14-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

If Rand can win the nomination I'll be surprised. My god the right can be so dumb....FOX News has been unwatchable the last week between all the Israel propaganda, the beating of the war drums in Iraq, and now this. And the comments on Rand's facebook make me want to vomit.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is one thing for federal officials to work in conjunction with local authorities to reduce or solve crime. It is quite another for them to subsidize it.
    Hell Yes! Thank you, Rand.

This one may well bite you in the rear, but it's worth it.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Good article. I'm sharing it around.

Pitch perfect.Good going,Rand.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

wonderful. well done. way to be a bold man, Rand.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Perfect. Way to, as the chess players say, seize the initiative!

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    MSNBC is going to have a heart attack... A tea party conservatarian leading the way on issues of race, civil liberties, and police brutality???? What ever will the liberals do??
    The liberals will do what they always do--follow. The only question is, will they follow the good shepherd or will they continue to be fooled by that wolf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

look who is following Rand's lead:

Claire McCaskill: ‘We need to demilitarize’

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...ze-110013.html

All liberals talk about is gays and race...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Rand Paul" and "We Must Demilitarize the Police" are both trending on twitter right now.

This is well worth getting behind. Great stuff from Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    All liberals talk about is gays and race...
    Same thing with the evangelicals. Good on Rand for putting this out. Paul SIXTEEN!!!

Until you give me justice, you can't tell me about obeying or disobeying the law.
    Dick Gregory 1965

from the TIME video at the link in OP.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    My god, he nailed it...
    My God, an actual Leader!

It's been a real long time since we've seen one of those (who had an actual shot at getting elected). Everyone here knows why I had to add the last qualifier clause.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    "Rand Paul" and "We Must Demilitarize the Police" are both trending on twitter right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtap View Post
    This is well worth getting behind. Great stuff from Rand.
    It's really happening, guys and gals. Gotta get behind it in a big way, now.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast