Thread: New York becomes the 16th state legalize marijuana

New York becomes the 16th state legalize marijuana

New York Becomes the 16th State To Approve Marijuana Legalization
    The law is surprisingly permissive in some ways, but it includes high taxes and other provisions that hurt consumers.

JACOB SULLUM

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo today signed a bill that adds the country's fourth most populous state to the list of jurisdictions that allow recreational use of marijuana. Counting New York, 16 states have approved general legalization, although South Dakota's ballot measure is tied up in legal wrangling. New York's law, which emerged from years of negotiations between Cuomo and legislators, is surprisingly permissive in some respects but includes high taxes and other provisions that compromise the interests of consumers.

Residents 21 or older will be allowed to possess up to three ounces of marijuana and up to 24 grams of cannabis concentrates in public. They also can legally transfer those amounts to other adults "without compensation." New York's limits are more generous than the rules in many other states that have legalized marijuana, where public possession typically is limited to one or two ounces. New Yorkers also will be allowed to possess up to five pounds at home.

Marijuana use will be permitted anywhere that tobacco smoking is allowed, plus in specially licensed "consumption sites," which can operate in conjunction with dispensaries. Local governments will have the authority to prohibit consumption sites within their jurisdictions. Cannabis consumption in places where it is not permitted will be punishable by a $25 fine.

Cities also will be allowed to ban marijuana retailers, provided they act by the end of the year. But they will not be allowed to stop residents from ordering marijuana online and having it delivered by licensed companies.

read more:
    https://reason.com/2021/03/31/new-yo...-legalization/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sad that the Bribes are necessary ,, but good that the Market is open.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

This just opens the door for more arrests of gun owners.

You have to fill out a form when purchasing a firearm, that you haven't used any illegal drugs. Well it's legal in that state but illegal federally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

You have to fill out a form when purchasing a firearm, that you haven't used any illegal drugs. Well it's legal in that state but illegal federally.
    This is recreational legalization, so you don't have to register with the state to buy anything. To get a medical marijuana card you do though.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    This is recreational legalization, so you don't have to register with the state to buy anything. To get a medical marijuana card you do though.
    In Michigan it's legal for recreational use too, but you have to show the place that's selling it, your drivers license and register before they will sell it to you.

New Yorkers also will be allowed to possess up to five pounds at home.
    Whoa...heheheh

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

In Michigan it's legal for recreational use too, but you have to show the place that's selling it, your drivers license and register before they will sell it to you.
    You definitely have to show an ID if you are on the younger side or maybe always, I'm not sure. But I've never heard anything about registering with the state to buy weed unless it's through the state's medical marijuana program.
    Last edited by jct74; 04-02-2021 at 10:33 AM.

You definitely have to show an ID if you are on the younger side or maybe always, I'm not sure. But I've never heard anything about registering with the state to buy weed unless it's through the state's medical marijuana program.
    Seems by law, they have to keep a record of the people who buy it. I asked them about that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-08-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-08-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

In CA, in recreational outlets you have to register with them with your ID on your first visit, then present your ID each time. In fact, they make you show your ID (and scan it) both at check-in and at the point of sale.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

[QUOTE=Dr.3D;7031227]This just opens the door for more arrests of gun owners.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr.3D again.

If this is Cuomo's way of trying to get people off his back because of all the $#@! he's doing, it ain't working.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Gigantic MEH-event. Decriminalization was the proper way to do it. Count on American politicians to screw the pooch in grand fashion every time.

Screw Cuomo the huomo, the legislators, and all the excessively and unforgivably stupid people of NY who think this is some sort of win. You're still under the Man's thumb like the little bitches you be. Sickening, but that's AmeriKa.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    There are some areas where Republicans are not Libertarian allies - and this is one of them. This legislation passed without the support of a single New York Republican legislator (Assembly or Senate). I've just started going through the list of the Republicans to see what the opposition was about - so far it doesn't seem to be centered on the excessive taxation, but rather on detection of Marijuana intoxication (for law enforcement purposes: driving, reckless endangerment, etc.) and the other traditional, age-old arguments against legalization
    I would not support it either. I suspect my motives might be different from those of the legislators to whom you refer. Legalization is just prettier tyranny than an outright ban, but it's still the tyranny of the nanny. No thanks. It's decriminalization or nothing. Legalization gives the state even broader powers over you. Screw that.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    One really positive thing is that it allows those who have been convicted of state charges in the past to get their lives back:
    A marginal bone thrown to the proles. OK, credit where due, but the expunge thing is bull$#@!. Any governmental entity will still be able to see your conviction. This is true in every state except, oddly, New jersey. In NJ, if you get your record expunged, were you to find yourself before the SCOTUS and they asked you under oath whether you had ever been convicted of a felony, you would be able to say "no" and have no worry about getting stung for perjury. NJ is the only state in the union with a statute that is serious about expungement. Last I knew, and that's at least 15 years ago now, some NJ legilators were diligently working to have the statute repealed in-toto. Of course, they were.

Everything about NJ sucks... except escaping from it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    If this is Cuomo's way of trying to get people off his back because of all the $#@! he's doing, it ain't working.
    Bet it works, too. The average NYer is dumber than a splinter and about as corrupt as Biden and Obama.

Cannabis is not a drug.

It is a Health Supplement.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

its a trap , they'll be coming to make sure your mask is on and your vaccinated properly while toking the weed
    Do something Danke

NOW THEY WILL PLANT HEROIN ON YOU

its so much fun( thanks woemans suffrage)
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Cannabis is not a drug.

It is a Health Supplement.
    Both you and I know that, but they are stupid and believe it's a drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Globalist again.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Bet it works, too. The average NYer is dumber than a splinter and about as corrupt as Biden and Obama.
    Yes. But his higher aspirations (the Whitehouse) are toast. Giuliani, "America's mayor" thanks to fake media fawning over his 9/11 performance washed out of the presidential race. Cuomo has been kneecapped before he could get started. Lots of dems were fawning over Cuomo just last year. He was the "anti-Trump" on COVID.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

So, it is approved for recreational use? I just hope that retailers or licensed companies who produce marijuana will limit their distributions to avoid overall addiction to it or worse is overdose. Marijuana for Medical use is a must also.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post
    So, it is approved for recreational use? I just hope that retailers or licensed companies who produce marijuana will limit their distributions to avoid overall addiction to it or worse is overdose. Marijuana for Medical use is a must also.
    Overdose? Seriously?

I thought this site was immune from trolls disseminating Official Corporate Health Propaganda. I thought the conglomerates had written us off as not ignorant enough to buy the bull.

Or to put it another way, you're wasting your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...