Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon's Freak-Out Over Pumping Your Own Gas Shows Why Many Dumb Regulations Still Exist

Oregon's Freak-Out Over Pumping Your Own Gas Shows Why Many Dumb Regulations Still Exist

https://www.forbes.com/sites/institu...s-still-exist/

JAN 3, 2018

Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that ban self-service gas stations. But thanks to a new law that went into effect on January 1, customers can now pump their own gas in Oregon, though only at stand-alone gas stations in counties with fewer than 40,000 residents. Elsewhere, the ban still holds.

But even this tiny increase in freedom was apparently too much for some Oregonians. In a Facebook post that’s now gone viral, local news station KTVL polled their fans for their thoughts about the new law. Some did not take the news well.

Here are a few premium selections:

“Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea.”

“I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!”

“I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even”

Of course, every day, tens of millions of Americans in 48 states pump their own gas and—miraculously—manage to avoid setting themselves on fire or drowning in gas. And anyone who doesn’t want to end up like one of Derek Zoolander’s friends can turn to Lifehacker or Wikihow for guidance.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank Zeus that we still are unburdened from having to pump our own gas in NJ.

This a service only qualified people should perform.
    I have pumped gas 1,000's of times in my life. Had I known this I would have moved to Oregon and started a gas pumper union which demanded $50 an hour.

The green pump is for Prius's and other eco friendly yuppie-mobiles..

I didn't know it was possible for people to NOT know how to pump their own gas.

"..almost died doing it."

How on earth did these people survive life so far?
    Next time I see some weird freak accident "man dies loading stapler", or some such thing... I'll figure it must be an Oregonian.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The green pump is for Prius's and other eco friendly yuppie-mobiles..
    Earns you extra points on vehicle repairs as well.

Wonder if they have people plugging in their Electric Cars? Do not want to get electrocuted. How do they fill lawn mowers or generators?
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I dated a girl who never pumped gas before in a state where you have to pump gas. It was funny until she ran out of gas and she had money and then I realized it wasn't a joke to get me to buy her gas. To her family it wasn't something women were allowed to do for some reason?

I freak-out also by the thought of Oregonians pumping their own gas. Or tying their own shoe laces.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I freak-out also by the thought of Oregonians pumping their own gas. Or tying their own shoe laces.
    They must have invented the fat old man running shoes with velcro straps instead of laces . Popular in nursing homes everywhere .

It will destroy jobs. Think of all the now unemployed gas pumpers!

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Exclamation Hilarious Fallout from Oregon Gas Pumping Law Reveals Alarming Effects of Gov’t Dependence

Hilarious Fallout from Oregon Gas Pumping Law Reveals Alarming Effects of Gov’t Dependence

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/hil...vt-dependence/

Many Oregon residents are panicked after their state has given ( ) them a new freedom — it is no longer illegal for them to pump their own gas in certain counties.

By Rachel Blevins - January 5, 2018

For the first time in the lives of many Oregon residents, it is legal for them to pump their own gas—and while it may not seem like much to the rest of the country, the reactions of Oregonians who have no clue how to accomplish the simple chore serve as a troubling reminder of the dependence that can be created by the laws set by the government.

If you have never been to Oregon, it may seem like a foreign concept. But if you are from a different state and you have visited, you may have been surprised when you got out of your car to pump your own gas, and an attendant informed you that you were doing something illegal.

Now, thanks to the passage of House Bill 2482, Oregon residents in counties with a population fewer than 40,000 people are allowed to pump their own gas. The new law went into effect on Jan. 1, and it impacts drivers in 15 counties—several of whom are now trying to figure out how to fill their cars with gasoline for the first time.

The new phenomenon has been documented on Twitter with the hashtag “OregonGasCrisis,” and the results do not disappoint. From a host of memes and GIFs, to comical photos of people pumping gas in all of the wrong ways, the Oregon Gas Crisis has quickly become the laughing stock of social media.

Actual footage of people in #Oregon learning to pump their own #gas… #SelfPump #OregonGasCrisis pic.twitter.com/VGSiew8qjk

— Mike Johnson (@MadMikeJohnson) January 4, 2018

It's day 4 of the #OregonGasCrisis… pic.twitter.com/yC5liTCeuI

— Amy (@Draygo81) January 4, 2018

Y'all they were serious…I thought it was a joke but I'm shocked! 😮😮😮🤨 #confused #OregonGasCrisis pic.twitter.com/CuHilLlXqT

— MJ (@MykalQ) January 4, 2018

However, not all of the comments on social media were made in jest. When the CBS affiliate in Medford, Oregon, posted a photo on Facebook last week, asking if residents supported allowing self-service gas stations statewide, the responses were alarming.

“I think it could be an option, but the elderly and disabled need help. And sometimes you are going somewhere dressy or important and you don’t want to risk getting gas on you or the odor of it. It also creates jobs to have somebody do it. we pay a lot for gas, we shouldn’t HAVE to pump it,” Jan Norton wrote.

Sharlette Case claimed she supports making it illegal to pump your own gas because it creates jobs, and she also shared the fear of spilling gas, and having to deal with the smell for the rest of the day. “No, it’s a job creator,” she wrote. “There’s so many people out looking for work. This will help. Plus I don’t want to smell like gas when I go to work.”

“I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian . . . I say NO THANKS! I don’t like to smell like gasoline!” Sandy Franklin replied.

Tina Good also shared the fear of spewing gas all over when attempting to fill up her car, and having to deal with the smell. She even argued that pumping your own gas should be illegal because “many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas.”

“Not a good idea, there are lots of reasons to have an attendant helping, one of they need a job too,” Good wrote. “Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides, I don’t want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands my hands of clothes. I agree, very bad idea.”

Cathy Dahl shared a fear of being too close in proximity to homeless people when she exited the safety of her car, in order to pump her gas. “Disabled, seniors people with young children in the car need help. Not to mention getting out of your car with transients around and not feeling safe too. This is a very bad idea. Grrr,” she wrote.

The comments from that Facebook post alone may make one think that gas stations in the state of Oregon are irregular, or have gas pumps that often malfunction, but it also shows the power of government.

The only reason Oregon residents have not been pumping their own gas is that their state’s government said it was “illegal” to do so. Therefore, the state has cultivated generations that have never learned how to do a simple task that was being accomplished by the rest of the country. Instead of feeling empowered by this new freedom, residents are resorting to fear.

While the new law only impacts counties in Oregon that have less than 40,000 residents, there is a good chance that the great Oregon Gas Crisis of 2018 will have an impact on the only other state that makes it illegal to pump your own gas—New Jersey.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Woemyns

Can anyone living in Oregon confirm the state's full of elderly and retards?
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 01-06-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Is this a joke or what ?

It amazes me sometimes, how people are not capable of performing the most basic tasks yet they seem perfectly capable of procreating. Kind of scary, really.
    "I am a bird"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If the demand is there, they will just have some pumps are full-service and charge a little more.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I often thought if somebody wanted to make a few dollars they could stand at a gas station and offer to pump your gas for like $1.

If the demand is there, they will just have some pumps are full-service and charge a little more.
    What kind of 'full service' do you envision ?
    "I am a bird"

We may have to include Oregon in the Wall proposal.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Woemyns

Can anyone living in Oregon confirm the state's full of elderly and retards?
    Full is a kind of broad statement.

They do seem to have more than their share of allegedly helpless people.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Full is a kind of broad statement.

They do seem to have more than their share of allegedly helpless people.
    The women of Oregon seem to believe their state is full of elderly and retarded drivers.

We may have to include Oregon in the Wall proposal.

There should be a wall separating every coastal state from America.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    The women of Oregon seem to believe their state is full of elderly and retarded drivers.
    I kidnapped my wife from there. and am only marginally north.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The other side of town's full of Asian drivers, so I can kinda relate to living near so many old, retarded, and women drivers. Really makes one cautious.

Pumping gas is for peons. Does Hillary Clinton pump her own gas?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Up until a couple years ago ( guy died and his kids sold them all of ) there was one chain around here with full service and they were the busiest places around . They sold gas , oil , cigarettes and lighters . Thats it . But they would check/add oil and do windows on request . They had free air . They pd a commision to employees on gallons pumped and the managers got a commission off of non gas items . Every old lady in the county went there .
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-06-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Is this a joke or what ?

It amazes me sometimes, how people are not capable of performing the most basic tasks yet they seem perfectly capable of procreating. Kind of scary, really.
    Same sort of process involved.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Same sort of process involved.
    I was gonna mention that but it seemed too obvious for me.
    "I am a bird"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast