Thread: Ship with 700 tons of gold ore disappears

Ship with 700 tons of gold ore disappears

Ship with 700 tons of gold ore disappears off Russia

MOSCOW – A vessel with a nine-person crew and 700 tons of gold ore onboard has disappeared in stormy seas off Russia's Pacific Coast.

The ship sent a distress call on Sunday as it was sailing from the coastal town of Neran to Feklistov Island in the Sea of Okhotsk.

The vessel, hired by mining company Polymetal, was carrying 700 tons of gold ore from one deposit to another where it was to be processed. Gold ore is the material from which gold is extracted and contains only a small percentage of the precious metal.

Polymetal's spokesman on Monday would not estimate the value of the cargo.

The company said it has shipped ore via that route before, and there was nothing unusual in shipping it by the sea.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/19...#ixzz2AnUmgWGq
    Last edited by AmericasLastHope; 10-30-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Removed duplicate URL and updated title.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ragnar Danneskjöld???
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Gives some sea gold diver a lot of fun in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ore.
    Yup. Probably never be worth recovering.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Nope , cost too much , that ore will yield 10 pounds of gold per ton, so , whole load , 7000 lbs of gold in 700 tons of ore.

Misleading title is misleading.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Nope , cost too much , that ore will yield 10 pounds of gold per ton, so , whole load , 7000 lbs of gold in 700 tons of ore.
    Yes but at the current price per ounce that's over 191 million dollars. Could be worth renting a rather large ship with some salvage equipment.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If you found ore with that high concentration of gold you'd be the luckiest man alive.

0.5 ounces per ton is already considered a good yield. Most mines operate at just a few grams of gold per ton of ore!

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Misleading title is misleading.
    Fixed.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    If you found ore with that high concentration of gold you'd be the luckiest man alive.

0.5 ounces per ton is already considered a good yield. Most mines operate at just a few grams of gold per ton of ore!
    Only going on the rumor I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroneous View Post
    Yes but at the current price per ounce that's over 191 million dollars. Could be worth renting a rather large ship with some salvage equipment.
    That would be assuing it went down and you knew where.Only a crew of , 9 or less , easy buy off .

So we're looking at about $105k of gold, then subtract the cost of processing?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So we're looking at about $105k of gold, then subtract the cost of processing?
    That barely covers the cost of the ship's fuel.
    There must have been other things in the ore too.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

"St Petersburg-based Polymetal has not released an estimate for the cost of the loss, but Nikolay Sosnovskiy, an analyst at VTB Capital, told Bloomberg that the gold ore was worth about $800,000. " http://www.metalbulletin.com/Article...e-missing.html
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Insurance scam is also possibility.... My brain gets to "evil case scenario" fast for some reason.

gold + ship=??? value
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Insurance scam is also possibility.... My brain gets to "evil case scenario" fast for some reason.

gold + ship=??? value
    Good point on the ship.

Reminds me of that old fable....

An old man kept being stopped at the border carrying bags of dirt on his horse. Everytime he crossed the Guard would take more time sifting through the dirt to try to find what was in it, but they became sure he was smuggling something.

Ultimately, he was given a pardon of all past crimes for some heroic act, and the King asked 'since you are now pardoned of all past acts, would you let me know what was in the dirt you were smuggling so many years?"

And the guy said, "I wasn't smuggling dirt.... I was smuggling horses......"

But in this case you do have gold ore of whatever purity....

sorry for the diversion!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

The are types of clay, good white clay for example, that are worth more per tonne than gold ore.

Gold Ore is worth processing even in the parts per million range. Its not lumps of rock with nuggets sticking out.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    The are types of clay, good white clay for example, that are worth more per tonne than gold ore.

Gold Ore is worth processing even in the parts per million range. Its not lumps of rock with nuggets sticking out.
    On a barge it is worth processing. Spread around the bottom of the ocean maybe not so much. It probably depends on how deep it is.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

From this chart http://www.eoearth.org/article/Sea_o...sk?topic=49523 it is about 50 meters deep where the ship disappeared (in the far left side of this chart where it runs off the edge- Feklistov Island is the smaller one you see over there and the ship would have sailed from just off this chart- less than 100 miles) but still the question would need to be would the costs of any attempts to salvage be worth the gains from bringing the ore back up?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post

gold + ship=??? value
    nah, its really not "evil case scenario".. its prob a "most likely scenario"... just like the wtc + asbestos removal/repair + insurance scam
    Life long democrat recently turned RonPaulitan

Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple
    "I like that guys spunk."

Per Reuters article:

"At current gold prices, the 700 tonnes of gold ore may cost around $230,000, analyst Sergey Donskoy at Societe Generale said. Each tonne of ore out of the Avlayakan mine contains about 6 grammes of gold.

af.reuters.com/article/metalsNews/idAFL5E8LU43W20121030

Possibly over-loaded. ITAR-TASS reports the load capacity of the boat was 611 tons yet was reported to be carrying 700 tons.
    Sounds like the seas were a bit rough as well. The last thing heard from the ship was their SOS message. http://www.itar-tass.com/en/c32/559205.html

The gusts of wind reach 20 meters per second in the search area which is having sleet showers, and meteorologists said the wave height would increase to five meters.

The missing dry cargo ship was carrying 700 tons of gold-containing ore from the port township of Kiran in the Khabarovsk territory to the port of Okhotsk. It left the Kiran port, Tuguro-Chumikansky district on Sunday, October 28.

According to the technical specifications of the Amurskaya, it has the weight-carrying capacity of 611 tons, which means it might be carrying an extra 89 tons of ore. Its length is 55 meters. The vessel was built in 1973.
    http://www.seanews.com.tr/article/AC...-gold-carrier/
    Heavy snowfall and zero visibility have made it impossible to use aircraft in the search operation for the second day running.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-30-2012 at 10:30 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I call bull$#@!!
    I am the spoon.

Barges? We don't need no stinking barges! Oh, wait . . . glub glub.

The gusts of wind reach 20 meters per second in the search area which is having sleet showers, and meteorologists said the wave height would increase to five meters.
    That's only 45mph, it's not really a big storm.

Five meters would be fifteen foot waves on what sounds like it was an over-laden ship (80 tons above its listed capacity).

Sounds like a big storm to me .