Thread: Seems like some GMO giants want to control marijuana trade

Seems like some GMO giants want to control marijuana trade

So, this was predictable. And I think I'd mentioned it a couple of years back when a lot of the threads were popping up about pot legislation. In fact, I searched for the particular thread where I'd mentioned that specifically so I could gloat and say "see, hehehe, I told you so, see what blind coercion gets yuns?" but I couldn't find it.

Anyway. Here we go...

Cannabis is actually one of the oldest domesticated crops, having been grown for industrial and medicinal purposes for millennia. Until 1883, hemp was also one of the largest agricultural crops (some say the largest). It was the material from which most fabric, soap, fuel, paper and fiber were made. Before 1937, it was also a component of at least 2,000 medicines.

As the War on Weed Winds Down, Will Monsanto Be the Big Winner?

Powerful corporate interests no doubt had a hand in keeping cannabis off the market. The question now is why they have suddenly gotten on the bandwagon for its legalization. According to an April 2014 article in The Washington Times, the big money behind the recent push for legalization has come, not from a grassroots movement, but from a few very wealthy individuals with links to Big Ag and Big Pharma.

Leading the charge is George Soros, a major shareholder in Monsanto, the world’s largest seed company and producer of genetically modified seeds. Monsanto is the biotech giant that brought you Agent Orange, DDT, PCBs, dioxin-based pesticides, aspartame, rBGH (genetically engineered bovine growth hormone), RoundUp (glyphosate) herbicides, and RoundUp Ready crops (seeds genetically engineered to withstand glyphosate).

Monsanto now appears to be developing genetically modified (GMO) forms of cannabis, with the intent of cornering the market with patented GMO seeds just as it did with GMO corn and GMO soybeans. For that, the plant would need to be legalized but still tightly enough controlled that it could be captured by big corporate interests. Competition could be suppressed by limiting access to homegrown marijuana; bringing production, sale and use within monitored and regulated industry guidelines; and legislating a definition of industrial hemp as a plant having such low psychoactivity that only GMO versions qualify. Those are the sorts of conditions that critics have found buried in the fine print of the latest initiatives for cannabis legalization.

The War on Weed Part II: Monsanto, Bayer, and the Push for Corporate Cannabis

So. Here's what to expect out of this. Expect "scientific studies"..heh...right?... to be presented to the Fed by the likes of these particular biotech companies for the purpose of demonstrating that their genetically modified "drug" is "safer and healthier" than the sticky buds you get from your hookup down the block.

That said, what folks should expect that will actually become "legalized" is the genetically modified pot crop. What that'll likely further accomplish is that it will allow the Fed to continue their war on the truly natural plant itself. You see? Anyway, it'll likely also keep the genetically modified "product" artificially high, while benefittng from the markets that legalization of the genetic stuff would provide.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 01:54 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting timing considering that mj is probably going to be rescheduled by the DEA in the next few weeks and multiple large states have various ballot referendums this November. Who knows where it will land. Schedule 2 or 3 means big pharma and big agri will control it. Can't let the little guy succeed, no no.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I predicted this back in 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Interesting timing considering that mj is probably going to be rescheduled by the DEA in the next few weeks and multiple large states have various ballot referendums this November. Who knows where it will land. Schedule 2 or 3 means big pharma and big agri will control it. Can't let the little guy succeed, no no.
    Well. Think of the little guy here from a globalist perspective. Latin American drug lords, for example.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Of all the links you cited, which one gives any evidence of a GMO pot strain being developed?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Of all the links you cited, which one gives any evidence of a GMO pot strain being developed?
    7 links were cited, specs. None indicated that biotech pot is actively/physically being produce in labs/fields.

The purpose of this thread was to provide backdrop for the plan to do so. Which those links provided. I was very specific to snip those particular sections of the pieces.

Now. Placing that aside, specs, I'll tell you why I read news. I don't generally read/watch news for the purpose of someone telling me what is happening at a given moment in time. I read/watch news for the purpose of better understanding trends in the long-term. Trends that media often further in the minds of their audiences through information campaigns. I pay attention to who feeds a lot of the narrative. I pay attention to the direction the narrative takes and from what direction it came.

That said, I editorialized the thread to specifically indicate that it seems like some GMO giants want to control marijuana trade. Given the trend to legalize it and given the groups who are actually funding the trend/narrative on the larger scale, I think it's a valid assessment that we'll soon be provided with "scientific studies" that show that genetically modified pot is "safer" and "healthier" than natural variants.

And when those "scientific studies" are provided to the public through various media campaigns, I'm going to come back here and link them for you. When specific language is inserted into the debate as a matter of public record/policy by the fed and these industries, I'm going to come back here and provide those sources for you. And when the language is inserted into any proposed legislation, I'm going to come back here and provide that for you as well. I think we'll see it. Likely sooner than later.

What has primarily been provided here is backdrop. And backdrop is important to consider. Too often, the middle is excluded. So, I want to make sure that doesn't happen here. In this thread anyway. Folks are certainly free to exclude the middle in other areas of the board for the purpose of their own vision to scope with regard to legalization of the pot as a product.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 03:23 PM.

That said, specs, are you asking for specific reports or "scientific studies" or even any industry language that may indicate that it will, at some point, be promoted and experimented with for the purpose of incorporating genetically modified pot into trade infrastructure?

Because I can likely dig some of those up. I think they do actually exist. I don't tend to just shoot from the hip when I start a thread about something. I try to think it through first.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Well, if I were a GMO giant, I'd sure like to.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Well, if I were a GMO giant, I'd sure like to.
    Mm. Absolutely.

Ronin, at the end of the day, I think it comes down to the more relative underlying issue in that we have some globalist infighting going on. In several areas of trade/infrastructure and government itself. This is merely one particular instance of trade/trafficking where that is happening. I'm not particularly concerned with the genetic pot, per se. People can consume whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, so long as I'm not forced to equally consume it. There's something else going on that really isn't acknowledged. Or even known in most cases. Fact of the matter is that all of that "natural" poppy and pot from abroad doesn't get here without some help. And it's a billions o f dollars per year affair. With the fed in the business of promoting genetic pot, it leaves an interesting scenario given that it is certain that some elements within the fed are also in the business of the natural stuff. There is a lot of poppy in Afghanistan, for example. Right? And it's no accident that our soldiers patrol those fields. So, then, with a bit of "science" promoting the "health" and "safety" of genetic pot, I think we'll see some protectionist legislation along with a media campaign fo the purpose of controlling that area of "trade." It's kind of a war of globalist factions in my view and looking at the larger picture. Admittedly, that is speculative. But it's good speculation, I think, there is enough substance to support the idea that we'll likely see it come to fruition.

Anyway. I'm going to go cut my lawn. Heh.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 03:54 PM.

This is why I never got behind "legalize it" and have always been a proponent of "decriminalize it." Get the government and crony capitalism out of it, period. It should be no more regulated than my garden 'maters.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    This is why I never got behind "legalize it" and have always been a proponent of "decriminalize it." Get the government and crony capitalism out of it, period. It should be no more regulated than my garden 'maters.
    Which action between the above two lowers the price/profit the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Which action between the above two lowers the price/profit the most?
    Obvious answer is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    I predicted this back in 1973.
    I remember you posting that.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

As the War on Weed Winds Down, Will Monsanto Be the Big Winner?
    I have been saying for years it won't become so called legal until monsanto owns marijuana DNA.

At current profit margins, a lot of businesses- big and small- would like a piece of the pie. Not surprisingly tobacco companies as well- especially with cigarette sales declining. They moved into vaping too. http://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/arti...xt-pot-of-gold

Wine, chocolate -- pot.If the estimated $45 billion or so of yearly demand for recreational marijuana is in the right ballpark, then more Americans crave cannabis than cabernet or candy bars. And as legalization efforts pull marijuana sales out of the shadows of the black market, an industry is, er, budding.

Right now, it's messy, shadowy and highly fragmented -- and the public companies involved in it are mere penny stocks. But as U.S. states increasingly move toward some form of legalization of the substance, that will change. In February, Alaska officially became the fourth state to legalize pot (with restrictions), following Colorado, Washington and Oregon, as well as the nation's capital. Some others have decriminalized it or allowed for medicinal uses and are inching toward a further loosening of the laws. In other words, states representing about half the country's population may soon allow for the purchase of marijuana in some form. It's tough to estimate the growth opportunity when the majority of weed sales still can't be measured, but consider the following map:

If When marijuana consumption becomes legalized at the federal level (and leaving aside health and moral issues), Big Tobacco should stake a claim. Cigarette makers are grappling with declining numbers of smokers, especially in the U.S. The smoking prevalence rate among Americans in 2014 -- the latest available data -- was 17.4 percent, down from 21 percent a decade ago.
    More at link.

It sounds a little crazy from the outset but when I think about it it is pretty par for the course. From what I can gather, in Uruguay they are going to use clones to keep the genetic similarity and ability to track approved weed. So they don't necessarily need to use a GMO strain. But the end result is the same... a war on the plant, the pioneers will still need to operate in the dark. And the justification in Uruguay on why the government should dictate and monitor the strain has been about keeping drug lords from profiting... which I could easily see being the case in the US too. 'We need to punish them Mexican drug cartels'.... and everyone else not a partner to their monopoly...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    That said, specs, are you asking for specific reports or "scientific studies" or even any industry language that may indicate that it will, at some point, be promoted and experimented with for the purpose of incorporating genetically modified pot into trade infrastructure?
    yeah I just thought it was an interesting topic and wanted to see if any of those links actually cited them working on creating GMO pot. I found the article a couple years back about round-up resistant cocaine plants pretty interesting as well.

I think this is getting ready to go down.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 01-12-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I think this is getting ready to go down.
    How so?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

This is one of the reasons the Ohio referendum was defeated a few years ago. Part of the legislation would have given control of the industry to a small group of investors. Growth for personal use would still have been illegal.

This is why libertarians need to frame these discussion in terms of repealing law. Nobody should have to ask the government for permission to do anything. Libertarians should be asking for criminal penalties to be repealed and for cannabis to be removed from the illegal controlled substance lists. The government should be silent.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi