Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins, U.S. troops start to withdraw from Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Talk talk talk. That’s it.
    They are leaving, they are ahead of schedule and Trump is not letting the incidents delay or cancel the withdrawal.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Their schedule when it’s met....if it’s ever met....puts them back @ numbers as when he got the job...

NOT GOOD

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Their schedule when it’s met....if it’s ever met....puts them back @ numbers as when he got the job...

NOT GOOD
    They are going to continue past that point until they are all gone, that is what the deal says and Trump and his representatives keep saying we will stick to the deal as long as the Taliban doesn't attack our troops whether they make peace with the Afghan government or not.

VERY GOOD!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Pass the Kool-Aid!
    You shouldn't drink the TDS koolaid, it's not good for you.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and his rival Abdullah Abdullah signed a power-sharing deal to end a months-long political stalemate, Ghani's spokesman said on Sunday, a step that could smooth efforts to end the country's longrunning war.

"The Political Agreement between President Ghani and Dr. Abdullah Abdullah has just been signed," said Sediq Sediqqi, Ghani's spokesman, on Twitter. Abdullah would lead the council for peace talks with the insurgent Taliban and his team members would be included in cabinet, Sediqqi added.

Seddiqi said more details would be released shortly. It was not immediately known which ministerial positions Abdullah's camp would control.

Washington has been frustrated by the growing impasse between the two men, even after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo travelled to Kabul in March to mediate. It had announced it planned to cut $1 billion in aid because the men could not agree.

Growing financial pressures

It was not immediately clear whether Sunday's agreement would result in the aid commitment being reinstated. Afghanistan is facing growing fiscal pressures, with tax revenues falling and foreign aid pledges due this year expected to shrink.

Officials say a deal between Ghani and Abdullah is crucial to launching peace talks, as Abdullah's camp represents much of the country's north-west.

U.S. Special Envoy Zalmay Khalilzad said on Friday that a new date for intra-Afghan peace talks was under discussion and he would soon travel to the region and try to encourage a reduction in violence.

More at: https://www.france24.com/en/20200517...rival-abdullah

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Still there..

I heard of pull outs from Vietnam,,for several Years before I enlisted..
    Ended when I was at Ft Polk.

Been in Afghanistan longer than Vietnam for less reason.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are going to continue past that point until they are all gone, that is what the deal says and Trump and his representatives keep saying we will stick to the deal as long as the Taliban doesn't attack our troops whether they make peace with the Afghan government or not.

VERY GOOD!
    Do we know what the troop levels are currently? Didn't the Trump administration stop publishing the numbers?
    Any withdrawal is good.

NOT GOOD
    I had no idea this withdrawal is about getting it back to pre Trump levels.

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    I had no idea this withdrawal is about getting it back to pre Trump levels.
    It's not.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    It's not.
    You are correct for once.

It's about leaving entirely.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Is it?

You'd think that with all of the wives and affairs he's had, he'd have more experience with timely withdrawal.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

But by July we'll get down to pre Trump numbers at 8600 correct? That's what I meant.

But by July we'll get down to pre Trump numbers at 8600 correct? That's what I meant.
    Yes.
    And then we will keep leaving until they are all gone.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Trump slammed the Wall Street Journal's editorial board on Monday, a day after it warned him against being "impulsive" when making decisions on Afghanistan.

"The Wall Street Journal Editorial states that it doesn’t want me to act in an 'impulsive' manner in Afghanistan. Could somebody please explain to them that we have been there for 19 years, and while soldier counts are way down now, hardly impulsive," the president tweeted to his 80 million followers.

"Besides, the Taliban is mixed about even wanting us to get out," Trump added. "They make a fortune $$$ by having us stay, and except at the beginning, we never really fought to win. We are more of a police force than the mighty military that we are, especially now as rebuilt. No, I am not acting impulsively!"

More at: https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...on-afghanistan

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Politics, he has to be able to say that the experts agree with him.
    I was looking for this quote since Trump says that often enough. He's not grounded on policy so he relies on experts vs just bringing them all home now. Nothing wrong with experts but policy is better.

So if Trump gets re elected why wouldn't he bring them all home the next day or by Thanksgiving or by Christmas? No need to play politics anymore. He used the Chinese flu to get more troops back quicker so why not bring them all back after the election?
    But isn't the playing politics thing off? About 70% of Americans want us out of Afghanistan.

I was looking for this quote since Trump says that often enough. He's not grounded on policy so he relies on experts vs just bringing them all home now. Nothing wrong with experts but policy is better.

So if Trump gets re elected why wouldn't he bring them all home the next day or by Thanksgiving or by Christmas? No need to play politics anymore. He used the Chinese flu to get more troops back quicker so why not bring them all back after the election?
    But isn't the playing politics thing off? About 70% of Americans want us out of Afghanistan.
    Politics is not just about elections and voters, it is about other office holders and getting their cooperation for things you need to do as well.

But the current plan will have all US troops out of Afghanistan by early next year and we are ahead of schedule for that plan.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

4th CAB helo's been flying through here all week on their way to the coast to get shipped out. Been in the news all week. They only say they are heading to NY but it's just a stop over...lol...then I found this:

https://www.army.mil/article/234811/..._unit_rotation
    Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    Thomas Jefferson

The Taliban have announced a ceasefire with the Afghan government that will take effect when the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr begins on Sunday.

It follows a rise in attacks by the hardline Islamist group against government troops in recent weeks.

President Ashraf Ghani welcomed the announcement, and said his soldiers would respect the terms of the truce.

The three-day ceasefire is likely to raise hopes of a longer-term reduction in violence in the country.

It is only the third time that the Taliban have declared a temporary truce since the conflict began.

The first was in 2018, again during Eid celebrations, and was a key moment in galvanising the peace process. Taliban fighters and members of the security forces hugged and posed for selfies together. That will not happen this time - the Taliban have ordered their members not to enter government territory.

Earlier this year, the group signed an agreement with the US setting out a timetable for the withdrawal of foreign forces from the country. But while they have stopped attacks against international troops they have continued targeting Afghan security forces.

Direct negotiations between the two sides were due to begin in March but have been delayed by a dispute over the exchange of prisoners and increased fighting. This brief reprieve in violence could help build momentum for those talks to finally start, and will revive some of the cautious hope Afghans had begun to feel: that an end to the conflict might eventually be possible.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/afghanistan-t...211836177.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump has failed us getting out of Afghanistan.

Khalīlzād has already failed under Bush jr, it’s pure insanity to have him in charge AGAIN

& relying on the Tailaban being “peaceful” to withdraw is a joke
    Last edited by vita3; 05-24-2020 at 03:58 AM.

Trump has failed us getting out of Afghanistan.

Khalīlzād has already failed under Bush jr, it’s pure insanity to have him in charge AGAIN

& relying on the Tailaban being “peaceful” to withdraw is a joke
    Trump is getting us out whether the Afghans continue to fight or not.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Fact: More US troops today then when Trump was named Commander in Chief over 3 years ago

To Bull $#@!e anyone on a Ron Paul Forum that he is “getting us out” is disingenuous

Fact: More US troops today then when Trump was named Commander in Chief over 3 years ago

To Bull $#@!e anyone on a Ron Paul Forum that he is “getting us out” is disingenuous
    LOL

We are in the middle of withdrawing them and we are ahead of schedule.
    And we are leaving whether the Afghans make peace or not.

It's over.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL

We are in the middle of withdrawing them and we are ahead of schedule.
    And we are leaving whether the Afghans make peace or not.

It's over.
    What schedule? What schedule? Which freaking schedule?

You once reported they'd be out by July 26 this very summer. You standing by that? Or are you admitting you were full of bull then, but claiming you're not full of bull now?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Trump's been lying about bringing the troops home from Afghanistan since 2012.

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has announced plans to release more Taliban prisoners in response to the militant group's three-day Eid ceasefire. Kabul's move could finally pave the way for intra-Afghan talks.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Sunday announced plans to accelerate the release of up to 2,000 Taliban prisoners a day after the insurgent group announced a three-day ceasefire to mark Eid festivities.

There were no reports of fighting between the militants and government forces at the end of the first day of truce.

Ghani, in his Eid message, said he was releasing Taliban prisoners as a "goodwill gesture." The government "is taking further steps to ensure (the) success of the peace process," the president's spokesperson said.

The government urged the Taliban to release all Afghan security force personnel as soon as possible.

The Taliban dubbed the announcement "a good step" but said the Doha deal with the United States stipulated the "release of 5,000 prisoners."

"This process should be completed in order to remove hurdles in the way of commencement of intra-Afghan negotiations and to pave the way for further progress which is to follow," the group's spokesperson said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo hailed the Eid ceasefire in a statement on Sunday. "This presents a tremendous opportunity for Afghans to overcome other obstacles and move urgently to Intra Afghan negotiations that end the war," he said.

US peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, who negotiated Washington's deal with the Taliban, also welcomed the holiday truce.

"We welcome the Taliban's decision to observe a ceasefire during Eid, as well as the Afghan government announcement reciprocating and announcing its own ceasefire," Khalilzad tweeted.

"This development offers the opportunity to accelerate the peace process," he added. Khalilzad spoke of "a momentous opportunity that should not be missed."

More at: https://www.dw.com/en/afghanistan-to...ure/a-53554649

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bold press release by tax payers funded non-puppet leader.

Without ending foreign aid regime its difficult but hopefully it's not another non-fakenews and globalist nneocons interventions in Afghan, Iraq, Syria, Palestine, Yemen, Taiwan sea , Korea etc will be coming to end under the MAGA first leadership. If this happened, would go a long away in erasing any right-wing theories about MAGA being a stealth plant of globalist neocons.

I guess nobody clicked on my link....lol....doesn't look to me like we are leaving anytime soon. It's a 12 month deployment.

WASHINGTON -- The Department of the Army announced today the upcoming 2020 rotation to Afghanistan of the 4th Infantry Division Combat Aviation Brigade stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado.

The 4th Infantry Division Combat Aviation Brigade will replace the 10th Mountain Division Combat Aviation Brigade as part of a regular rotation of forces to support the United States’ commitment to Operation Freedom Sentinel.

“The 4th Infantry Division CAB is a highly trained force comprised of aviation warfighters who are well-supported by our families and local communities,” said Col. Scott Myers, the 4th CAB commander. “This professional unit remains ready to answer our nation's call.”

“In the upcoming deployment to CENTCOM, which will be known as “Task Force Ivy Eagle,” the 4th CAB will be augmented by members of the National Guard, sourced primarily from Utah's 1st Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment,” he continued. “The members of Task Force Ivy Eagle are proud and honored to serve our great nation and to represent the 4th ID in combat."

https://www.army.mil/article/234811/..._unit_rotation
    Last edited by showpan; 05-26-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    Thomas Jefferson

8,600 troops to remain is NOT leaving...lol

Lead Inspector General for Operation Freedom’s Sentinel I Quarterly Report to the United States Congress I January 1, 2020 - Mach 31, 2020
    OCO

PRINT | E-MAIL
    May 15, 2020 —
    Publicly Released: May 19, 2020

This Lead Inspector General (Lead IG) report to the United States Congress on Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS) is the 20th quarterly report detailing the overseas contingency operation. The report summarizes significant events involving OFS and describes completed, ongoing, and planned Lead IG and partner agency oversight work. This report covers the period from January 1, 2020, through March 31, 2020.

Although U.S. and Taliban representatives signed an agreement on February 29 as a first step toward ending the conflict, a number of events occurred that raised questions over whether the peace process would take place. Taliban violence continued at high levels, even during a negotiated weeklong reduction in violence that led to the agreement’s signing. The Taliban limited violence against coalition forces but increased attacks against the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) during this period. The Taliban escalated violence further after signing the agreement. U.S. forces defended the ANDSF against the Taliban. U.S. officials stated the Taliban must reduce violence as a necessary condition for continued U.S. reduction in forces and that remaining high levels of violence could jeopardize the U.S.-Taliban agreement. Even still, the United States began to reduce its forces in Afghanistan from roughly 13,000 to 8,600.

A political impasse that happened after the Afghan Independent Election Commission (IEC) announced the September presidential election results also complicated the peace process. The IEC declared incumbent president Ashraf Ghani the winner of the election over his challenger, former Chief Executive Officer Abdullah Abdullah. Abdullah immediately disputed the results, claiming ballot fraud. After the quarter ended, the Taliban and the Afghan government made little progress toward commencing the intra-Afghan talks, which were required under the U.S.-Taliban agreement, partly due to the political dysfunction.

The coronavirus disease–2019 (COVID-19) global pandemic caused further problems throughout the country, as the Taliban continued attacks despite international pleas for a ceasefire on humanitarian grounds. Global humanitarian organization and Afghan government representatives assessed that COVID-19 would severely strain the Afghan healthcare system and economy, potentially infect millions, place millions deeper into poverty, and cause roughly 110,000 deaths. U.S. and coalition forces briefly paused efforts to train, advise, and assist Afghan forces because of COVID-19 but resumed some of these efforts through telephone, e-mail, and other means.

During the quarter, the Lead IG agencies issued two reports relating to OFS. The investigative branches of the Lead IG agencies and their partner agencies coordinated on 97 open investigations, involving allegations of procurement and grant fraud, corruption, computer intrusions, and human trafficking.

Operation Freedom’s Sentinel began on January 1, 2015. U.S. forces conduct two complementary missions under OFS: 1) counterterrorism operations against al Qaeda, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria-Khorasan, and their affiliates in Afghanistan; and 2) training, advising, and assisting the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces through the NATO-led Resolute Support Mission.

Section 8L of the Inspector General Act of 1978 provides a mandate for the three Lead IG agencies—the Department of Defense OIG, Department of State OIG, and U.S. Agency for International Development OIG—to work together to develop and carry out joint, comprehensive, and strategic oversight. Each IG retains statutory independence, but together they apply their extensive regional experience and in-depth institutional knowledge to conduct whole-of-government oversight of these overseas contingency operations.

Related Documents
    LEAD INSPECTOR GENERAL FOR OPERATION FREEDOM'S SENTINEL.PDF

LEAD INSPECTOR GENERAL FOR OPERATION FREEDOM'S SENTINEL ONE PAGE OVERVIEW.PDF

https://www.dodig.mil/In-the-Spotlig...-report-to-th/
    Thomas Jefferson

Sword smith should be banned

Too essential of a subject to BS

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast