Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Libertarian Gary Johnson in double digits in race against Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump: poll

I voted for Johnson in 2012, will do it again. I think I might have been right about the timing being good for a coalition this election, Gary Johnson post easily made the front page on Reddit today.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it would be wise to get Gary Johnson or whoever the Libertarian candidate ends up being, that needed 15% to be included in the debates. Even if you disagree with these guys, we need to start unraveling the Demo/Repub duopoly on the system, especially the election process, which they have full and 100% control of.

Granted, Gary Johnson is no Ron Paul, but he is no Clinton/Trump either. This isn't voting a lesser of 2 or 3 evils, this is giving legitimacy to 3rd/4th/5th party candidates. These numbers are encouraging enough to see a non-establishment person actually have a chance to make it into the debates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    What are the two digits, zero and one?
    lol, i just made the same joke reading this

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Well said. I, too, do not understand the Gary Johnson hate here. I voted for Johnson in 2012, and will likely do so again.
    Don't hate him, though I will not be voting for him again, I held my nose once for someone who supports infanticide, that's quite enough for me. Maybe the Constitution Party will offer up something sensible, we shall have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by openfire View Post
    I wonder if he'll be included in the debates?
    I assume that was meant to have quote marks to indicate sarcasm. Highly doubtful (as in "no chance").

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    I doubt there's much hope that TPTB will allow a 3 person debate with a LP candidate, but I guess a ruckus could be raised if he were to continue polling highly
    Or the rules will be changed to exclude him with the usual "it's a private organization so they can make their own rules" excuse. This kind of stuff needs to be exposed anyway though so even if they do change the rules, it'll be a good thing. Basically we need as much shenanigans exposed as possible. That's why I hope Trump does well but they still deny him the nomination.

I don't like GJ abortion stand but considering that Trump and Hillary are hardcore abortionist despite what trumps says now to suit his "Flexibility". I could enthusiastically support GJ.
    In 40 years of politics I have never seen as much visceral dislike of the likely R nominee, ever by republicans I know. I know I have a far higher dislike of Trump than I had for Romney and McCain and I didn't vote for either of them. I might even donate to him to GJ.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofbort View Post
    Or the rules will be changed to exclude him with the usual "it's a private organization so they can make their own rules" excuse.
    That is what will happen. The GOP and Democratic parties have set the rules about debates. They work closely with the media. If the media says a candidate must be polling at at least 10%, they will choose which polls to make certain that a third party can't get in. The polls selected will not be revealed until a third party candidate fails to make the 10% in the rigged poll. It's a shell game, and it's been happening regularly since 1996 (second Perot campaign, when Perot was excluded from the debates).

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    Don't hate him, though I will not be voting for him again, I held my nose once for someone who supports infanticide, that's quite enough for me. Maybe the Constitution Party will offer up something sensible, we shall have to see.
    The CP ran Virgil Goode in 2012; Goode voted to authorize the Iraq War and supported the so called "PATRIOT" Act. Goode has already endorsed Drumpf. Let's hope the CP comes to their senses this time around.

The CP ran Virgil Goode in 2012; Goode voted to authorize the Iraq War and supported the so called "PATRIOT" Act. Goode has already endorsed Drumpf. Let's hope the CP comes to their senses this time around.
    Hence why I voted for Johnson in 2012, I made a decision that time around that tolerating infanticide was a lesser offense than promoting genocide and tyranny, and in retrospect I think the proper course of action may have been to just abstain from voting altogether as both stances are equally repugnant, which I plan to do this time around if someone similar to Goode is selected.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    Hence why I voted for Johnson in 2012, I made a decision that time around that tolerating infanticide was a lesser offense than promoting genocide and tyranny, and in retrospect I think the proper course of action may have been to just abstain from voting altogether as both stances are equally repugnant, which I plan to do this time around if someone similar to Goode is selected.
    Infanticide is the de facto Libertarian position, up until age 5.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Infanticide is the de facto Libertarian position, up until age 5.
    "Infanticide" is a euphemism for "strawmanicide".
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

GJ doesn't have the charisma or charm to make prime-time. I really like him but we have a fusion of president and celebrity and he doesn't really fit the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    GJ doesn't have the charisma or charm to make prime-time. I really like him but we have a fusion of president and celebrity and he doesn't really fit the mold.
    He does this weird twitching thing as well when he talks heheh. Voters fixate on everything these days hehe.

Gary Johnson is a clown. I saw him on MSNBC a couple days ago, what he made
    clearest is that he's "fiscally conservative, but socially liberal". Johnson supports
    total amnesty and open borders. He somehow believes open borders and unmanaged
    "free" trade is complimentary to small government. Nothing could be further from the
    truth. The welfare state is getting bigger and bigger. Amnesty for 11-30 million illegals
    and open borders for untold millions more will only expand welfare dependency.
    Thusly, his position is untenable and moronic.
    I also cannot support him on moral issues, you know what those are.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Gary Johnson is a clown. I saw him on MSNBC a couple days ago, what he made
    clearest is that he's "fiscally conservative, but socially liberal". Johnson supports
    total amnesty and open borders. He somehow believes open borders and unmanaged
    "free" trade is complimentary to small government. Nothing could be further from the
    truth. The welfare state is getting bigger and bigger. Amnesty for 11-30 million illegals
    and open borders for untold millions more will only expand welfare dependency.
    Thusly, his position is untenable and moronic.
    I also cannot support him on moral issues, you know what those are.
    Going hand in hand with open borders is eliminating the welfare state. Understand the big picture before calling someone a clown and moronic. Of course open borders and amnesty for all would lead to massive financial ruin if we continued with the welfare of today. Duh....
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And of course if this happens and Hillary wins the idiots in the GOP will blame the LP for their loss rather than the fact that they picked a crappy candidate.
    Naturally. And the media will, too. But regardless of all that, it will still be a third GOP loss--in a cycle they should have won. It will still be pitiful results by a gang that could have found a way to keep their peeps at home.

And that will only make them less attractive, and the LP more attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    "Infanticide" is a euphemism for "strawmanicide".
    50 million dead babies agree.
    "The Patriarch"

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    50 million dead babies agree.
    Liberty and the pursuit of happiness are enough when you are dead in a dumpster. Who needs life, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Liberty and the pursuit of happiness are enough when you are dead in a dumpster. Who needs life, right?
    You know, the last four GOP presidents we had were ostensibly against abortion, but did less than nothing about it. At least Gary Johnson stands a good chance of trying to cut federal funding for it. That's more than Trump, or Cruz, or any other current GOP presidential candidate will ever do.

To end forcing people with moral objections to abortion to fund it out of their pockets would be a major victory. A major victory. A greater victory than any Republican has scored on that issue in more than fifty years.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-30-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Damn. Didn't know that. Where's Chuck Baldwin when you need him? I vote for Goode thinking he was the second coming of Baldwin. Mea Culpa. That said, if he's endorsed Trump then it's a certainty he won't seek the CP nomination.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Damn. Didn't know that. Where's Chuck Baldwin when you need him? I vote for Goode thinking he was the second coming of Baldwin. Mea Culpa. That said, if he's endorsed Trump then it's a certainty he won't seek the CP nomination.
    Chuck Baldwin apparently recently left the Constitution Party for a party I'd never heard of: the Independent American Party. Not sure he'll be back in the CP, and some third party info sites list him as an "improbable" 2016 CP candidate.

I'd never vote for Virgil Goode, based on his support of wars and government surveillance. Might as well vote for a Neocon. And a vote for the CP is a vote taken away from the LP, so I'd need a really good CP candidate to even consider the CP. With Gary Johnson polling so well (as in, actual double digits), I'd hate to dilute the third party vote. Better one stronger third party than several weak ones, IMO. Though I do enjoy the C-SPAN debates they hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Going hand in hand with open borders is eliminating the welfare state. Understand the big picture before calling someone a clown and moronic. Of course open borders and amnesty for all would lead to massive financial ruin if we continued with the welfare of today. Duh....
    I do understand very well what I said, and Gary Johnson's positions are moronic.
    You cannot have open borders, amnesty for illegals and smaller government.
    Adults with life experience know this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I do understand very well what I said, and Gary Johnson's positions are moronic.
    You cannot have open borders, amnesty for illegals and smaller government.
    Adults with life experience know this to be true.
    We can not or we may not?

Because we can, and we did--less than a hundred years ago. And it worked, too. As in, it worked so well they called it the Roaring Twenties.

Adults with both life experience and a grasp of history know this to be true. And won't believe lies about it.

We can. As for whether we may, that all depends on whether this is still a republic or not.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    We can not or we may not?

Because we can, and we did--less than a hundred years ago. And it worked, too. As in, it worked so well they called it the Roaring Twenties.

Adults with both life experience and a grasp of history know this to be true. And won't believe lies about it.

We can. As for whether we may, that all depends on whether this is still a republic or not.
    +rep

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic