Thread: Air Force Awards $1 Billion Contract For "Hypersonic Conventional Strike Weapon"

Air Force Awards $1 Billion Contract For "Hypersonic Conventional Strike Weapon"

The United States Air Force has awarded Lockheed Martin, an American aerospace, defense, security and advanced technologies company, with a $928 million contract to design and prototype new hypersonic missiles. These high tech missiles can travel five times the speed of sound and outmaneuver the most advanced missile defense shields in the world, announced the Department of Defense’s (DoD).

The Air Force is working with Lockheed Martin to design a new hypersonic prototype. The service previously explored the technology with tests of the X-51A Waverider, shown here under the wing of a B-52 bomber. (U.S. Air Force graphic)

The indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract for the “design, development, engineering, systems integration, test, logistics planning, and aircraft integration support of all the elements of a hypersonic, conventional, air-launched, stand-off weapon,” the DoD press release stated on Wednesday.
    The total value of the contract is worth $928 million over the course of the hypersonic program, which the press release failed to give specifics on timeframes. The design and prototyping will be completed at Lockheed Martin Space Systems facilities in Huntsville, Alabama. Lockheed won the contract after it beat out three other offers. Fiscal 2018 first task order to Lockheed will be for the “research, development, test and evaluation” of the hypersonic program, said the press release.
    “This effort is one of two hypersonic weapon prototyping efforts being pursued by the Air Force to accelerate hypersonics research and development,” service spokeswoman Ann Stefanek said in a statement.
    “The Air Force is using prototyping to explore the art-of-the-possible and to advance these technologies to a capability as quickly as possible.”
    As we have discussed previously, “hypersonic aircraft and missiles are being developed and tested by the United States, Russia, and China at an accelerating pace.” In other words, the era of hypersonic technology has arrived with a bang. Many of the world’s superpowers have realized that the first to possess these technologies will revolutionize their civilian and military programs.

Now, we understand, why hypersonic missile technology has become a top priority for the Pentagon because, in other words, these high tech weapons have the potential to reshape the post–World War II modern economic system away from the West’s control. Already, Russia and China have conducted numerous successful tests of hypersonic weapons that can carry conventional or nuclear warheads.
    The announcement of Lockheed’s billion-dollar hypersonic contract comes as Undersecretary of Defense for Research Michael Griffin presented last month at the McAleese-Credit Suisse Defense Conference in which he warned, “when the Chinese can deploy tactical or regional hypersonic systems, they hold at risk our carrier battle groups. They hold our entire surface fleet at risk. They hold at risk our forward deployed land-based forces.”
    Griffin emphasized that Beijing has administered “20 times as many of hypersonic weapon tests as has the United States over the last decade.” He stated Beijing is spending billions to develop and test non-nuclear versions of hypersonic weapons that could render the United States Navy’s nuclear-powered aircraft carriers unprotected against a hypersonic strike.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-strike-weapon
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Awesome.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Until then, Tweets will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Awesome.
    Will these be like VCR's and drop to 100.00 after they have been out for awhile ? I could use a few of these .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Will these be like VCR's and drop to 100.00 after they have been out for awhile ? I could use a few of these .
    Injuns only get Tomahawks.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Injuns only get Tomahawks.

500 ounces of silver inside a Tomahawk .

Syria should be grateful for the gift we gave them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I doubt it. Injuns probably use scrap Iron.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Maybe he hollows out the handle and packs it full of silver.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I have 4 or five of those I just need 4 or 5 of the others. Then I could just quit paying the evil white invention of property tax .
    Do something Danke

Maybe he hollows out the handle and packs it full of silver.
    I have one that I put an Indian Cent on the handle , that way I know its mine in case it gets stuck in someone in a melee or something ......
    Do something Danke

I have 4 or five of those I just need 4 or 5 of the others. Then I could just quit paying the evil white invention of property tax .

That is a small price to pay to live here vs. we send your kind back to Asia.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

That is a small price to pay to live here vs. we send your kind back to Asia.
    I would be running that $#@!hole in no time . Free trade paradise with no taxes .Indians on the money . None of that gay $#@! like dead presidents . Seriously who the $#@! would put FDR on a dime ? And people think I am crazy ...... I tell my smallest grand daughter democrats sleep with Woodrow Wilson and LBJ dolls .
    Do something Danke