Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noise rights

the golden rule would apply.

payback is a bitch.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I have neighbors who smoke. Some of them are forced to go outside to smoke. Outside air is what it is. I'm highly allergic to tobacco in every form but there is only so much I can do. I keep my living space clean and allergy compatible and that's what I am responsible to do. Neighbors are all hardworking people. They can do what they want. I get along with all my neighbors.

The OP was about noise, not smoke.
    Tobacco. Noise. It is all forms of pollution where the polluter imposes the pollution on their neighbors. Suppose instead it was a factory pumping toxic gasses or other pollution which ends up on your property. Should they also be able to do what they want? They own the property.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Tobacco. Noise. It is all forms of pollution where the polluter imposes the pollution on their neighbors. Suppose instead it was a factory pumping toxic gasses or other pollution which ends up on your property. Should they also be able to do what they want? They own the property.
    Again, the OP was specifically about noise. There are already laws about polluting the air, water, and ground. The EPA doesn't follow them, but there you go. My experience is mainly an urban residential/commercial area. Technically people can't even park their own cars on their own lawn, but we all do it anyway. I would be the poster child for private property rights, if push came ot shove.

Zippy, I think we should think in terms of what is reasonable. What is a reasonable use of your own property if you live in an urban neighborhood. Obviously target practice with a rifle would not be reasonable there. Neither would selling illegal drugs or stolen property.

But out on a 400 acre farm there might be a place where target practice would be reasonable.
    Last edited by euphemia; 10-13-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Almost all conflicts can be settled by asking the question "who owns it?"
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Precisely. If people can confine their behavior to their own property, then great. I don't mind people having a party once in a while--especially if they give me a bit of a heads up. I don't mind kids playing basketball. Just make it reasonable and responsible.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    If someone was deliberately being a dickbag purposely making noise to annoy me I'd stomp the $#@! out of him and not care if it was considered libertarian or not.
    ^^

And I think as long as you documented the attempts to resolve it without violence, and didn't stomp the person to bad, most people would be sympathetic that you did what you had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Almost all conflicts can be settled by asking the question "who owns it?"
    The government. Now, comply or die. You got a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The government. Now, comply or die. You got a choice.
    The government owns it, they own you, and SWAT will be along shortly to ensure your compliance.

Move the $#@! along.

/thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Problem with that is now you're making it so your second neighbor needs to stomp two people.

I cannot imagine the sound that thing made. Some of the subs nowadays that fit inside of a vehicle produce so much bass you can't sit in the vehicle with the sound cranked all the way up.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12