Thread: US deploying carrier and bomber task force in response to 'troubling' Iran actions

US deploying carrier and bomber task force in response to 'troubling' Iran actions

Breaking on CNN:

US deploying carrier and bomber task force in response to 'troubling' Iran actions

By Kate Sullivan and Barbara Starr, CNN
    Updated 12:42 AM ET, Mon May 6, 2019

Washington (CNN)The US is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the US Central Command region in the Middle East in response to "troubling" warnings from Iran, the White House announced Sunday.

A US official with direct knowledge of the situation tells CNN the threats were against both US maritime and land-based forces in the Middle East. The deployments are aimed specifically at deterring any Iranian military actions, the official added.
    A statement from US national security adviser John Bolton reads, "In response to a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings, the United States is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the US Central Command region to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force."
    "The United States is not seeking war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether by proxy, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, or regular Iranian forces," the statement continues.
    Two US officials tell CNN that the very public statements are aimed at deterring Iran. There is no indication any action by Iran is imminent.
    Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan approved the deployments on Sunday because of "clear indications that Iranian and Iranian proxy forces are making preparations to possibly attack US forces in the region (Middle East)," according to the US official.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/05/polit...rce/index.html

Related

Rockets fired from Gaza day after Israel kills four Palestinians
    May 4, 2019
    Israeli raid kills Palestinian in Gaza, amid latest flare-up a day after Israel kills four in two separate incidents. The latest flare-up comes after four Palestinians were killed on Friday by Israeli forces in two separate incidents.

Once again, ‘NYT’ distorts the news, dishonestly making Gazans the aggressor and Israel the victim
    May 5, 2019

Top US General Says American Troops Should Be Ready To Die For Israel

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Arrow Keeping the John McCain legacy alive

The McCain legacy is alive and well in the White House.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

John Bolton is pushing a war with Iran

with bolton and pompeo its a wonder we are not in more wars , i don't know why trump would pick those 2 clowns , it just makes trump look stupid or he is just trying to keep the war loving neocons happy .

name me one thing war loving neocons have ever done for america , very hard to fine any that ever serves but loves to send others .

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    with bolton and pompeo its a wonder we are not in more wars , i don't know why trump would pick those 2 clowns , it just makes trump look stupid or he is just trying to keep the war loving neocons happy.
    Could it be, that he too is a neocon?
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    with bolton and pompeo its a wonder we are not in more wars , i don't know why trump would pick those 2 clowns , it just makes trump look stupid or he is just trying to keep the war loving neocons happy .

name me one thing war loving neocons have ever done for america , very hard to fine any that ever serves but loves to send others .
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Could it be, that he too is a neocon?
    If he was we would be in a lot more wars.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

If Bolton loves the taste of war so much he should go and fight on the battlefield.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I guess Trump doesn't like the Constitution... but then again we already knew that
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    If Bolton loves the taste of war so much he should go and fight on the battlefield.
    Pretty shocking claim being made by Iran's FM, not sure if Bolton was part of Iraq war neocons team as Iran seems to be suggesting.

Zarif: Same 'gang' from 2003 Iraq war pushing for war with Iran
    Feb 16, 2019 - The same “gang” behind the 2003 Iraq war are pushing for war with Iran, the Islamic Republic's Foreign Minister said in an exclusive interview .

Two US officials tell CNN that the very public statements are aimed at deterring Iran. There is no indication any action by Iran is imminent.

Barak Ravid of Israel's Channel 13 news 3 hours ago

Scoop: Israel passed White House intelligence on possible Iran plot

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu with national security adviser John Bolton. Photo: Kobi Gideon/GPO via Getty Images

Israel passed information on an alleged Iranian plot to attack U.S. interests in the Gulf to the U.S. before national security adviser John Bolton threatened Iran with "unrelenting force" last night, senior Israeli officials told me.

Why it matters: Bolton's unusual and aggressive statement included news that the U.S. would move an aircraft carrier to the region. The officials said intelligence gathered by Israel, primarily by the Mossad intelligence agency, is understood to be part of the reason for Bolton's announcement.

Behind the scenes: Information about possible Iranian plots against the U.S. or its allies in the Gulf were raised two weeks ago in talks held at the White House between an Israeli delegation headed by national security adviser Meir Ben Shabbat and a U.S. team led by Bolton, the Israeli officials told me.

There is no indication that our closest ally is trying to play US for its own interests as it was accused of doing in the past.

Israel's plan was to bomb Western Buildings, make it seem as though Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood was behind the attacks
    Nov. 11, 2009
    The Lavon affair - also known locally as esek habish, "the rotten business" - was a plan to discredit Egypt's government, then headed by Gamal Abdel Nasser, by bombing theaters, post offices and U.S. and British institutions, and making it seem as though Egypt was behind the bombings. The thinking in Israel at the time was that if the British were to give up control of the Suez Canal, it would be left in Egypt's hands, putting Cairo in a better position to exert pressure on Israel.
    The agents were told "to undermine the West's trust in the [Egyptian] government by causing public insecurity" while concealing Israel's role in the sabotage.

Some on Far Right had suggested that he was being blackmailed without any proof.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    You seem mistaken, he's very strong on Constitution.
    Except when he banned bump stocks and bombs the middle east.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I'm less troubled already.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Pentagon Builds Deterrent Force Against Possible Iranian Attack...
    Assault ship, missiles to Mideast...
    Patriot system deployed...

Such actions don't prove that MAGA is a puppet of his pro-Iran War top funder. He has repeatedly pledged to be America First and not let neocons to push US into wars for other countries. Even after ADL suggested that 'America First' slogan was 'anti-semitic', he did not completely stop using it, just dropped 'drain the swamp' slogan.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    How is Trump banning bombs in the middle east? By bombing the bombs?
    Seems you're misreading Matt's post.