Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever driven coast to coast?

Has anyone ever driven coast to coast?

I'm thinking about driving cross-country once I get 100%. Really, just to do it. Just me and the radio. Toward end of summer, maybe. East coast to west coast.

What's the best route? I want to go as straight as possible. But I want to see the cool landmarks, too. Also, I want to drive through a long desert road, too. I could just look at Google maps, I suppose, but I was just wondering if anyone else ever did it and found a certain route more stimulating than some other one.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-08-2016 at 10:40 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I drove from the Ohio River Valley to Tacoma and back last time . I took 70 out to 25 , North to 90 . On the way back I took 90 to 25 , South to 80 and East .

I've never planned a trip myself, but summer trips when I was a kid were planned with help from AAA. They put together maps and all sorts of stuff for your desired destination. (at least, they did back in the 80s/90s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

If you are out East , you can always get to 65 and take it South to the Gulf , head West on 10 to Biloxi . Best beaches in the US right about there .

I have driven the entire lengths of 5 & 10 , I would not suggest that .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I drove from the Ohio River Valley to Tacoma and back last time . I took 70 out to 25 , North to 90 . On the way back I took 90 to 25 , South to 80 and East .
    Mm. Yeah. I was looking at that. That's more in the middle of the map. I was thinking rt 40. 40 is more across the southern states. And that'd put me through the deserts. Of course 40 out here east is nothing but red lights every quarter mile, too. I don't want that either if it's like that most of the way.

How'd you like the drive the way you went, oyarde?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Mm. Yeah. I was looking at that. That's more in the middle of the map. I was thinking rt 40. 40 is more across the southern states. And that'd put me through the deserts. Of course 40 out here east is nothing but red lights every quarter mile, too. I don't want that either if it's like that most of the way.

How'd you like the drive the way you went, oyarde?
    I liked it
    Of course 40 is not bad Nashville to New Mexico.

I have driven the entire lengths of 5 & 10 , I would not suggest that .
    Yeah, that's the flipside of whether I took the middle continent route or the southern continent route. I'd have to hit 5 and 10 to get north or south after the fact to get to the middle edge of California. Heh. At least it'd on;y be half the drive north or south as opposed to what you did driving the wole thing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will say , everyone should do it once .

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Yeah, that's the flipside of whether I took the middle continent route or the southern continent route. I'd have to hit 5 and 10 to get north or south after the fact to get to the middle edge of California. Heh. At least it'd on;y be half the drive north or south as opposed to what you did driving the wole thing.
    Probably just take 40 out to 5 then .

I liked it
    Of course 40 is not bad Nashville to New Mexico.

Yeah? Hm. I was leaning toward 40. Maybe avoid it out east, though. I think I can head north and hit 76 to 81 and then to 40 where it turns t osmooth sailing. I don't know if I hit rt 66 in there around 81. I don't remember. It's been a while since I've been up that way.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-08-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Probably should get a bumper sticker , " Muh Roads "

Probably just take 40 out to 5 then .
    Yeah, you're probably right.

Probably should get a bumper sticker , " Muh Roads "
    Heh.

I prefer to drive up and down the coast., the 1 when possible and the 101 on the west coast.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

...don't bring lots of cash.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    ...don't bring lots of cash.
    Yep. Asset forfeiture.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Get your kicks on Route 66.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I've done it about the equivalent of 30-40 times round trip. A couple questions:
    1. How long do you have to take?
    2. Driving east to west, then flying back?
    --I assume you are going to rent a vehicle then? ie: you will be taking something reliable? I've broken down on a few of the routes, it matters. Sitting on the side of the road in TX in August, looking at a small twister in the distance while your vehicle is vapor locked aint no fun.
    3. Are you set on going straight through or are some SW/NW routes workable?
    4. Is there any specific city you want to start or end in (kinda important)
    5. Will you be staying in hotels, camping or sleeping in your vehicle?
    6. When you say "long desert road" you mean surrounded by sand and cactus and such? Or just barren and empty? Ever visited any sand dunes?
    7. "seeing landmarks" do you mean vistas/views, weird stuff, entertainment, or historical sites?

I probably will have some other questions, but those were my initial asks.
    Excellent.

as a point of fact..
    You could spend a lifetime traveling this country and not see it all.

but I suspect the effort would be worth it.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 05-09-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I never drove across in one bite. I have driven to both coasts and back from the middle, though, in different summers.

If you only have a week or so, I-70. It is a magnificent crossing of the Rockies. To reach the Pacific, switch to Route 191 in Utah and take Route 6 up to Provo, then take I-15 north to I-80.

If you have a couple of weeks, I'd recommend Route 50. Route 66 is also nice. The New Mexico crossing of the Rockies is also nice, and both Santa Fe and the Grand Canyon are fantastic stopovers. But I think the scenery in Colorado is the best, and either I-70 or Route 50 have all of that in spades. But don't be afraid to deviate a bit. Louisville and Cincinnati are charming chities, and Auburn Indiana is a detour well worth the trip just for the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum.

There's also a lot to be said for driving both directions, by different routes.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-09-2016 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I've done it multiple times, multiple routes, and with multiple vehicles. Can't really respond without answers to specs questions below...

I've done it about the equivalent of 30-40 times round trip. A couple questions:
    1. How long do you have to take?
    2. Driving east to west, then flying back?
    --I assume you are going to rent a vehicle then? ie: you will be taking something reliable? I've broken down on a few of the routes, it matters. Sitting on the side of the road in TX in August, looking at a small twister in the distance while your vehicle is vapor locked aint no fun.
    3. Are you set on going straight through or are some SW/NW routes workable?
    4. Is there any specific city you want to start or end in (kinda important)
    5. Will you be staying in hotels, camping or sleeping in your vehicle?
    6. When you say "long desert road" you mean surrounded by sand and cactus and such? Or just barren and empty? Ever visited any sand dunes?
    7. "seeing landmarks" do you mean vistas/views, weird stuff, entertainment, or historical sites?

I probably will have some other questions, but those were my initial asks.
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

I'm also in the "not all at once" crowd. But there are only a handful (like literally one hand) of states that I haven't done interstate time in.

I can offer this advice.

64 through West Virginia is a hoot. Anything in WV is a ball... I think it's just as fun as driving through the Rockies.
    So is 40 through NC and Tennessee.

The most fun I've had on any trip was 25 south from Denver to Santa Fe. I had stayed up all night working and then did 8 hours... it was not the most pleasant condition I've ever been in, but it was still a trip I'll always remember. I'd like to do it again without being so tired. That stretch is mostly long and straight but with scenery to kill for.

I-10 going through NM and AZ was awesome, too. Of course when I did that I was riding with a geologist who had worked extensively in both states so it might have colored my impression of it a bit.

No matter what route, just avoid Kansas altogether. It's objectively terrible. The most unbelievable part of the Wizard of Oz is that anyone would actively try to get back there.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    No matter what route, just avoid Kansas altogether. It's objectively terrible. The most unbelievable part of the Wizard of Oz is that anyone would actively try to get back there.
    I thought the same thing about that patch of Arkansas west of Memphis on I-40.

Ugliest piece of real estate this side of the moon.

Where in the east are you departing from?

I've driven to Wisconsin and Minnesota from Boston on I-90 and enjoyed the trip.

My folks continued on to Seattle on I-94 and then back to 90.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-09-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Except if he goes through KS, that means he will probably go through CO which can be an awesome drive. Plus, there is a great little freak farm/museum near the KS/CO border which is worth hitting. It also sounds like you haven't gone the I-80 route through NE and WY which is objectively even worse (if by terrible you mean flat and dull, where they put turns in the road just to make sure you are still awake). BUt if you are pulling something like a trailer its an easier drive than going through CO and the rockies there also the speed limits are faster on I-80.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Except if he goes through KS, that means he will probably go through CO which can be an awesome drive. Plus, there is a great little freak farm/museum near the KS/CO border which is worth hitting. It also sounds like you haven't gone the I-80 route through NE and WY which is objectively even worse (if by terrible you mean flat and dull, where they put turns in the road just to make sure you are still awake). BUt if you are pulling something like a trailer its an easier drive than going through CO and the rockies there also the speed limits are faster on I-80.
    No I've done the I-80 run too... I remember that there was a bit more terrain in NE and that the asphalt periodically changed color.
    What I remember about Kansas is that after the third hour of counting signs, I was hallucinating driving under overpasses.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Kansas is the price you pay for Colorado. What's more, it isn't significantly worse than Nebraska that way.

Yes, if you're going to be driving between sunset and bed time, Kansas is the state to be in. Or far Eastern Colorado, which is the same thing.

From Denver to Grand Junction, on the other hand, leave plenty of extra time to stop and shoot photos.

I don't want to sell I-90 short, though. Especially through the Idaho panhandle, over Fourth of July Pass, and down past Lake Cour d'Alene. Or I-84 along the Columbia River.

As for less mountainous states, don't spend all your time rushing to get them behind you before sunrise. They are much more fun seen from non-Interstate highways. That's why all the 'not in one bite' comments--if you're in a hurry, you wind up missing the smell and the flavor you took a road trip to see, taste and smell. It's like scouring a town you've never seen before for a chain restaurant you're familiar with--why did you go to the trouble if not to get a taste of something different?

If you really want to remain in a pressurized capsule and be insulated from the wonders of the Middle of the Country, then the answer is obvious: Fly. Otherwise, take the scenic route from time to time, and only stop to eat at places you never heard of before.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

This, too, is worth it, because the western half of the Ozarks are wonderful. Though I-40 really takes you too far south; the best part of the Ozarks are roughly between Branson and Ft. Smith.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-09-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I used to shoot some doves , ducks and catch some crappie down there on a lake, I would rate it better than Houston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast