Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pat Buchanan: Even If Trump Wins, The West Is Doomed

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Oh noes! Not the West! That's where I keep my stuff!
    Chinese bank safe deposit box.

Disclaimer: You won't have the only key to the box.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUglyTruth View Post
    Chinese bank safe deposit box.

Disclaimer: You won't have the only key to the box.
    "CHINESE"?
    Bwahahahaha! You haven't been paying attention to what's been happening in the awesome "West".
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    They should have sandwiched "free trade" in quotation marks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUglyTruth View Post
    We don't?

Charts are fun, and… much better when put into perspective:

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Oh noes! Not the West! That's where I keep my stuff!
    If that is all you think of your country, we are indeed doomed.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    If that is all you think of your country, we are indeed doomed.
    "The West" just means America?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Bossobass View Post
    Charts are fun, and… much better when put into perspective:

Trade is good!!! American consumers have access to cheaper goods and US manufacturers have been able to triple the value of their exports in just 10 years! That's fantastic news for America!

I was born and raised in the West End of the Steel Capital of the World, the Essen of the West, Pittsburgh, PA.

Here's a pic of just one of the many millions of square feet of steel production plants in the Pittsburgh area, employing half a million extremely skilled blue collar workers. A group of them one day in my shop in the 70s were explaining how they shaved 1/10,000 of an inch from a 10 ton cast aluminum disc.Pittsburgh no longer has the capacity to cast the disc, let alone shave a ten thousandth off it:

Here's the result in downtown Pittsburgh, circa 1930-40:

Here's where my grandfather worked for 47 years and retired with a pension after 2 tours in the Army, including 7 medals earned in the Battle of the Bulge, WWII:

Today, it's ALL GONE and these photos are exactly what the industrial areas of China look like after our best QC engineers spent the last decade of their careers in China and India teaching the indigenes how to build plants, line up raw materials supply and manufacture steel and aluminum alloys. My father-in-law was one of them.

The whole "That's Great!!!! Cheap T-shirts from CHINA… WOO-HOO!!! is, well pathetic. 75% consumer spending, mostly on credit, is not an economy, let alone an economy with a future and post a chart of what China is doing with that mountain of dollars.

Having the world's reserve currency since Breton Woods is what has allowed this ridiculous trade deficit, but the Chinas and Russias of the world are growing ill of watching the US abuse that currency by disgustingly expanding the monetary base. You can't grossly inflate the world's reserve currency and eternally enjoy a consumer spending-based economy that's based on credit expansion and CB-induced bubbles.

Or… everything's peachy-keen and let's vote for Bernie ClintonCruz!!!

Thanks for yet another lecture but you've left out your version of the difference between tariffs and "protectionist" tariffs (which you've incorrectly defined).
    I define the difference between protectionist and non-protectionist tariffs the way Ron Paul defines that difference. And since it was his position that you were attempting to co-opt, his definition should be operative here. Your support for reciprocity of tariffs is the opposite what Ron Paul means by non-protectionist tariffs.

I was born and raised in the West End of the Steel Capital of the World, the Essen of the West, Pittsburgh, PA.

Here's a pic of just one of the many millions of square feet of steel production plants in the Pittsburgh area, employing half a million extremely skilled blue collar workers. A group of them one day in my shop in the 70s were explaining how they shaved 1/10,000 of an inch from a 10 ton cast aluminum disc.Pittsburgh no longer has the capacity to cast the disc, let alone shave a ten thousandth off it:

Here's the result in downtown Pittsburgh, circa 1930-40:

Here's where my grandfather worked for 47 years and retired with a pension after 2 tours in the Army, including 7 medals earned in the Battle of the Bulge, WWII:

Today, it's ALL GONE and these photos are exactly what the industrial areas of China look like after our best QC engineers spent the last decade of their careers in China and India teaching the indigenes how to build plants, line up raw materials supply and manufacture steel and aluminum alloys. My father-in-law was one of them.

The whole "That's Great!!!! Cheap T-shirts from CHINA… WOO-HOO!!! is, well pathetic. 75% consumer spending, mostly on credit, is not an economy, let alone an economy with a future and post a chart of what China is doing with that mountain of dollars.

Having the world's reserve currency since Breton Woods is what has allowed this ridiculous trade deficit, but the Chinas and Russias of the world are growing ill of watching the US abuse that currency by disgustingly expanding the monetary base. You can't grossly inflate the world's reserve currency and eternally enjoy a consumer spending-based economy that's based on credit expansion and CB-induced bubbles.

Or… everything's peachy-keen and let's vote for Bernie ClintonCruz!!!
    You say this as if that's all a bad thing. What are we supposed to do, prop up a misallocation of resources just to keep these workers doing the same thing for more years, when we could get cheaper steel from China?

And @LibertyEagle, see what I mean about people saying it would be bad if China literally gave us free steel? You acted like that was a misrepresentation of Trump and Buchanan. It definitely wasn't. And @Bossobass is right there with them.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The conservative commentator was especially grim about Europe, Buchanan said, “It’s hard for me to see how the Europeans survive whether they have the will just given the trend-lines in terms of population and in terms of immigrants pouring in.”
    Worry about your own country Pat. Lot's of people are waking up here about the horrors of the EU. Can't say that much about your country.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Buchanan said, “It’s hard for me to see how the Europeans survive whether they have the will just given the trend-lines in terms of population and in terms of immigrants pouring in.”
    Great quote to zero in on.

Just what does he mean by Europeans not surviving? Does he imagine the continent of Europe becoming a barren land of no people? No. He's talking about race. He's afraid that miscegenation will blur the boundary lines between races that are so precious to him.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I define the difference between protectionist and non-protectionist tariffs the way Ron Paul defines that difference. And since it was his position that you were attempting to co-opt, his definition should be operative here. Your support for reciprocity of tariffs is the opposite what Ron Paul means by non-protectionist tariffs.
    You still haven't defined anything. Quit hiding behind "I say what RP says, whatever that is…" and define the difference. And, please, stop telling me what I support vs what anyone else supports… you suck at it.

You still haven't defined anything
    In post 38 you said that I did. Which is it?

When I talk about Ron Paul, it's not hiding behind anything. This is Ron Paul Forums. You don't get to come here and trash everything he stands for and support Donald Trump's protectionism instead and get a pass.

You say this as if that's all a bad thing. What are we supposed to do, prop up a misallocation of resources just to keep these workers doing the same thing for more years, when we could get cheaper steel from China?
    The US, the EU, Australia, S. Korea and India are protesting/investigating blatantly illegal dumping and use of third countries to circumvent anti-dumping and other laws.

Rule of law. Try propping that up first and stop cherry picking posts to one-line dis them… you suck at it.

Here's a true misallocation of funds… Homestead, Pa, just outside of Pittsburgh, before and after US manufacturing was bought up by FED owners and shipped to Asia. They instigated government grants to tear down the mills so that no American entrepreneurs might fire the mills back up and, God forbid, compete against the newly built Chinese government subsidized plants, and more grants and tax forgiveness to build… malls for the cash-rich-from-ridiculously-illegal-housing-bubble-home-equity-loans-@-125%-LTV public to swarm to to buy the products now made in China. This, of course, was followed by rewarding the crooks with taxpayer-backed trillions in bail-out do-re-mi.

Yeah, awesome. Gotcha, Erowe 1 [globalist apologist numero uno]. You guys spew the mantra as though it cam from heaven instead of from the globalist brainwash hand book. Trade deficit, national debt, bailouts, Exchange Stabilization Fund, President's Working Group, QE-infinity, insolvent Central Bank balance sheet, multi-trillion $ "defense" spending… great for the 'murican consoomer.

The US, the EU, Australia, S. Korea and India are protesting/investigating blatantly illegal dumping and use of third countries to circumvent anti-dumping and other laws.

Rule of law. Try propping that up first and stop cherry picking posts to one-line dis them… you suck at it.
    An unjust law is no law at all. Rule of law means that anti-dumping laws have no legitimacy.

Yeah, awesome. Gotcha, Erowe 1 [globalist apologist numero uno]. You guys spew the mantra as though it cam from heaven instead of from the globalist brainwash hand book. Trade deficit, national debt, bailouts, Exchange Stabilization Fund, President's Working Group, QE-infinity, insolvent Central Bank balance sheet, multi-trillion $ "defense" spending… great for the 'murican consoomer.
    I don't support national debt, bailouts, exchange stabilization fund, defense spending, or most of the things you listed. Neither does Ron Paul. We're not spewing a mantra, and we're not brainwashed. Please stop misrepresenting our positions.

In post 38 you said that I did. Which is it?

When I talk about Ron Paul, it's not hiding behind anything. This is Ron Paul Forums. You don't get to come here and trash everything he stands for and support Donald Trump's protectionism instead and get a pass.
    Ron Paul "likes Bernie. We overlap on several issues. I enjoyed working with him in…" So, you voted for Bernie like a good Ron Paul sock puppet? You don't get to come in here and tell me ANYTHING without a response, if I feel like offering one, your Stalinist posting style notwithstanding.

You still haven't defined anything. Anyone else see a pattern here?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't support national debt, bailouts, exchange stabilization fund, defense spending, or most of the things you listed. Neither does Ron Paul. We're not spewing a mantra, and we're not brainwashed. Please stop misrepresenting our positions.
    Of course you do. Like I've said before, maybe put down the mirror when you type?

Ron Paul "likes Bernie. We overlap on several issues. I enjoyed working with him in…" So, you voted for Bernie like a good Ron Paul sock puppet? You don't get to come in here and tell me ANYTHING without a response, if I feel like offering one, your Stalinist posting style notwithstanding.

Ron Paul never endorsed Bernie or said he would vote for him. And agreeing with Ron Paul on Ron Paul Forums doesn't make me a sock puppet.

So now you say I haven't defined anything. What happened to what you said in post 38? You're taking that back?

Of course you do. Like I've said before, maybe put down the mirror when you type?
    Why do you think I do? Can you find any quotes of me supporting any of those things?

An unjust law is no law at all. Rule of law means that anti-dumping laws have no legitimacy.

This^^^ will do it for me. You're hopelessly ignorant of reality, and good luck with that.

This^^^ will do it for me. You're hopelessly ignorant of reality, and good luck with that.
    So, according to you, in reality an unjust law is a legitimate law?

Anyway, bye. Please don't come back.

Even if Trump wins...

...lol.

That anyone thinks Trump would save the West is the surest sign that the West is doomed.

Once you start electing television clowns to high office, well, that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    What about the sun?! I worked for a company that produces electricity that people use to light their homes... But that damned sun gives people light for free! Here we have a situation that is not only foreign labor, but completely alien! We should cast a law to remove windows from peoples' homes and businesses. h/t Bastiat!
    Yes.

Let us also outlaw backhoes.

...and shovels.

If all digging was by spoon, there would be more jobs.

= what inefficient producers call it when their competitors sell at a lower price

= good for consumers

= economic progress

...how dare that Rockefeller dump his kerosene on the market.

What about the whalers!?!?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Absolutely. He is the strawman king.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    = what inefficient producers call it when their competitors sell at a lower price

= good for consumers

= economic progress

...how dare that Rockefeller dump his kerosene on the market.

What about the whalers!?!?
    Remedial reading for the descendants of whalers:

Standard Oil Company
    In 1870, Rockefeller, together with his brother William, Henry M. Flagler and Samuel Andrews, established the Standard Oil Company of Ohio. This occurred while the petroleum refining industry was still highly decentralized, with more than 250 competitors in the U.S.
    The company almost immediately began using a variety of cutthroat techniques to acquire or destroy competitors and thereby "consolidate" the industry. They included:
    (1) Temporarily undercutting the prices of competitors until they either went out of business or sold out to Standard Oil.
    (2) Buying up the components needed to make oil barrels in order to prevent competitors from getting their oil to customers.
    (3) Using its large and growing volume of oil shipments to negotiate an alliance with the railroads that gave it secret rebates and thereby reduced its effective shipping costs to a level far below the rates charged to its competitors.
    (4) Secretly buying up competitors and then having officials from those companies spy on and give advance warning of deals being planned by other competitors.
    (5) Secretly buying up or creating new oil-related companies, such as pipeline and engineering firms, that appeared be independent operators but which gave Standard Oil hidden rebates.
    (6) Dispatching thugs who used threats and physical violence to break up the operations of competitors who could not otherwise be persuaded.
    By 1873 Standard Oil had acquired about 80 percent of the refining capacity in Cleveland, which constituted roughly one third of the U.S. total. The stock market crash in September of that year triggered a recession that lasted for six years, and Standard Oil quickly took advantage of the situation to absorb refineries in Pennsylvania's oil region, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New York. By 1878 Rockefeller had attained control of nearly 90 percent of the oil refined in the U.S., and shortly thereafter he had gained control of most of the oil marketing facilities in the U.S.
    Standard Oil initially focused on horizontal integration (i.e., at the same stage of production) by gaining control of other oil refineries. But gradually the integration also became vertical (i.e., extended to other stages of production and distribution), mainly by acquiring pipelines, railroad tank cars, terminal facilities and barrel manufacturing factories.
    If you're trying to make a point, here's a hint; try to have one first. Head to the library because Google doesn't offer one-liners to describe US History.

"The consumer benefits" is the meme the monopolies attempted to use in their anti-trust cases. Thank goodness back then Americans were a lot smarter than you.

Little wonder that Josh has bailed and hasn't posted here for nearly a year.

Remedial reading for the descendants of whalers:

If you're trying to make a point, here's a hint; try to have one first. Head to the library because Google doesn't offer one-liners to describe US History.

"The consumer benefits" is the meme the monopolies attempted to use in their anti-trust cases. Thank goodness back then Americans were a lot smarter than you.

Little wonder that Josh has bailed and hasn't posted here for nearly a year.
    This practice of undercutting competitors temporarily in order to drive them out of business and then raise prices never actually occurred.

It doesn't and can't work, as would be obvious to anyone with the slightest understanding of economics.

It's a terribly flawed theory invented by socialists looking for any excuse for state regulation of the market.

...specifically anti-trust law, which is actually a means by which politically connected corporations enlist the state to harass their competitors.

...and, btw, Rand recently introduced some legislation to put a stop to this heinous practice.

In any event, the original, first generation Rockefeller made his money because he offered a superior product at a (vastly) lower price.

Some remedial studies for you:

The American Economy and the End the Laissez Faire: 1870 to World War II (13 part lecture series)

Enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic