Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congressman Proposes Bill to Allow You to Opt Out of Funding Wars

Congressman Proposes Bill to Allow You to Opt Out of Funding Wars

Where was this guy for the last 8 years?

On April 5th, 2017, Civil Rights figure and Congressman John Lewis (D-GA-5) proposed H.R. 1947, or the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act of 2017. The purpose of this bill is “to affirm the religious freedom of taxpayers who are conscientiously opposed to participation in war, to provide that the income, estate, or gift tax payments of such tax payers be used for nonmilitary purposes, to create the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund to receive such tax payments, to improve revenue collection, and for other purposes.”

This bill ultimately reaffirms the rights of conscientious objectors to war so that they not only are under no obligation to fight wars for the State, but they are also under no obligation to fund such wars. Although this bill is specifically designated as a bill to promote religious freedom, Conscientious Objector is defined as “a taxpayer who is opposed to participation in war in any form based upon the taxpayer’s sincerely held moral, ethical, or religious beliefs or training.”

If this bill passes, the tax dollars of Conscientious Objectors will not go to the Department of Defense, any member of the intelligence community, parts of the Department of Energy “that have a military purpose,” The Selective Service System, any NASA activities with military purpose, or the “training, supplying, or maintaining of military personnel, or the manufacture, construction, maintenance, or development of military weapons, installations, or strategies.”

In order to ensure this, the bill designates the Secretary of the Treasury to establish an account called the “Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund.” Funds from this account cannot go to purposes designated above.

This is among the best bills I have seen in my lifetime. Along with Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard’s Stop Arming Terrorists Act, this bill is a remarkably good thing a Democrat has done in office. If only they could universalize this principle.

Continued..http://libertyhangout.org/2017/04/5004/

Read bill here..https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/1947/text
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kinda like how tax payers don't fund abortions through Planned Parenthood?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Good point, the tax cows could contentedly provide the milk under the allusion they were not funding wars.
    "The Patriarch"

Who wrote this for Lewis ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    +rep

./thread

i like where he is going with the bill. Maybe it doesn't do much in the long run, but gives you a place to register your discontent.

Personally I'd rather it go further, and end penalties for refusing to pay taxes entirely for the same reasons.
    No - No - No - No

I say we fund the entire government like this! Is war abroad any more objectionable than enslaving the American people at home through debt?

With United Way donations you can now designate where you want your money to go. I see no reason why we couldn't do that with taxes. You would instantly see which "programs" Americans really cared about and which ones only serve the interests of politicians.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I say we fund the entire government like this! Is war abroad any more objectionable than enslaving the American people at home through debt?

With United Way donations you can now designate where you want your money to go. I see no reason why we couldn't do that with taxes. You would instantly see which "programs" Americans really cared about and which ones only serve the interests of politicians.
    That'd be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    That'd be pretty awesome.
    and short sighted. how long before the congress starts designating spending bills as not-opt-out-able?

Eh, just a budget tug of war between the welfare and warfare state.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Bull$#@!. Nice idea, but...... bull$#@!.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

The headline portion of the bill looks like another slight of hand to me, but I kinda like this part

If this bill passes, the tax dollars of Conscientious Objectors will not go to the Department of Defense, any member of the intelligence community, parts of the Department of Energy “that have a military purpose,” The Selective Service System, any NASA activities with military purpose, or the “training, supplying, or maintaining of military personnel, or the manufacture, construction, maintenance, or development of military weapons, installations, or strategies.”
    Now, if they can remove the religious requirement of it, apply it to all units so it can be pulled anytime the govt is trying to fight another aggressive war. Imagine the military filled with people who are unwilling to fight aggressive wars?

Now that sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The headline portion of the bill looks like another slight of hand to me, but I kinda like this part

Now, if they can remove the religious requirement of it, apply it to all units so it can be pulled anytime the govt is trying to fight another aggressive war. Imagine the military filled with people who are unwilling to fight aggressive wars?

Now that sounds good to me.
    I like that part too. As for myself, I support the idea of PDA's in my aerie faerie anarchist utopia, so the sentiment is great. But the above marks this congressman not as an anti-intervnentionist, but as a pie in the sky left-wing pacifist who doesn't believe in the need for a strong national defense. Rand's approach is much more results-oriented and palatable to the war-weary but patriotic type.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

The Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act of 2017.

i'd much rather support this
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

How about a law that says taxation w/o representation is illegal?
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If this bill passes (it won't) it effectively kicks open the door to a fully voluntary federal government. All we need is a sufficiently "conservative" member of congress to propose a similar bill with regard to abortion, and "welfare", and "retirement", etc...

Since this isn't going to happen, I wonder if we couldn't figure out a way to drum up support for a similar but more seemingly innocuous bill that states that taxpayers are not obligated to fund programs that they do not personally support... something along those lines... I love the simplicity of it... kind of a Jeff Goldblum-Windows-97-takes-out-the-aliens type of thing... no nukes, no rioting in the streets, just a simple little bill that somehow gets itself passed that negates the entire state in one fell swoop, that no one seems to notice until its too late, and people start acting upon it...?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Eh, just a budget tug of war between the welfare and warfare state.
    Yeah, but warfare is worse than welfare.

I wish we could piecemeal choose to defund parts of it, we would all be better off in no time.

Line item tax spending.. much like line item vetos

opt out of everything or pick what YOU want to pay for as an individual

the road people would pay for roads (chuckle)
    the war mongers could pay for wars
    the surveillence state people could pay for whatever is left of NSA, CIA, FBI etc
    The politicians could pay for a huge shipment of KY for the mass $#@!ing they'd be getting in funding
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Where was this guy for the last 8 years?
    Give the guy a break, during last 8 years there were drone gangstas/war criminals/"ISIS Founders" to be enabled and "MLK supported" wars to be waged.
    Besides, we had legit Prez back then. War crimes/money baggers/ISIS supporting lobbies know when to fold and when to rollout their lineup of political slaves.

Suspected War Criminals enabler John Lewis to skip inauguration, says Trump not a 'legitimate' prez

Poll: What do you call a "civil righter" who stands with not one but two war criminals?

Has civil rights movement been tainted for embracing suspected war criminal?

New Obama HS Chief: MLK would love our wars!
    A top Pentagon official says the antiwar civil rights leader would support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan

Trump : John Lewis's district in horrible shape, crime infested

September 5, 2016
    Congressional Black Caucus: Deep in the Israel Lobby’s Pocket

Anybody that wants to pick and choose what your tax money goes to can get the hell out.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

How about some other Coongressman/woman/person (with bit more credibility than Johnny) introduce a bill that requires wall street to fully finance all future wars?

They is already financing some of the biggest war mongering puppets of theirs... why not pay for all costs of wars as part of a more fair shared responsibility paymemt?

Relational

Obama Years: A Violent Chapter in World History

Barack Obama, Wall Street Co-Conspirator?
    http://billmoyers.com/2013/01/31/bar...o-conspirator/

The Untouchables: How the Obama administration protected Wall Street from prosecutions
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ecutions-obama

Pastor Wright: Obama a puppet of bankers

Click here to view the original image of 979x603px.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Yeah, but warfare is worse than welfare.
    That depends. True defense is a necessary function of government. Welfare is not. Obviously 90% of what we are doing is not defensive however.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

This is among the best bills I have seen in my lifetime. Along with Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard’s Stop Arming Terrorists Act, this bill is a remarkably good thing a Democrat has done in office. If only they could universalize this principle.
    I'm skeptical. My guess is they're also big supporters of locking up or seizing assets of "evil rich people" who don't "pay their fair share".

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'm skeptical. My guess is they're also big supporters of locking up or seizing assets of "evil rich people" who don't "pay their fair share".
    Being sceptical should always be the default position.
    "The Patriarch"

Despite the fact Lewis has been in the game forever and this is only being done to spite Trump...

I LIKE IT!

... but will it fly?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    That depends. True defense is a necessary function of government. Welfare is not. Obviously 90% of what we are doing is not defensive however.
    I disagree, and so would, I think, the most liberty oriented Founding Fathers. The President is the Commander-in-Chief of the armies according to the Constitution. But the Constitution does not allow for a standing army. Congress can raise one and fund it, but that in and of itself suggests that there isn't a permanent one which is why one needs to be raised. I would argue that the best constitutional interpretation is that the US could have a reserve army, one composed of trained militia that can be called up quickly to defend the country when invaded but who are otherwise dedicated to civilian life and its pursuits.

My point? Depending on where you split hairs, true defense is not a necessary function of government. The Federal government has no authority to do so, just take over once the war has been declared, and we see today that private military forces are often trained equally as well as or better than government military forces. True defense was seen as being a role of the people.

Considering that the military should only be active when the country is invaded, and then only active in defeating the invader, 100% of everything the US military is doing right now has nothing to do with defense.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    I disagree, and so would, I think, the most liberty oriented Founding Fathers. The President is the Commander-in-Chief of the armies according to the Constitution. But the Constitution does not allow for a standing army. Congress can raise one and fund it, but that in and of itself suggests that there isn't a permanent one which is why one needs to be raised. I would argue that the best constitutional interpretation is that the US could have a reserve army, one composed of trained militia that can be called up quickly to defend the country when invaded but who are otherwise dedicated to civilian life and its pursuits.

My point? Depending on where you split hairs, true defense is not a necessary function of government. The Federal government has no authority to do so, just take over once the war has been declared, and we see today that private military forces are often trained equally as well as or better than government military forces. True defense was seen as being a role of the people.

Considering that the military should only be active when the country is invaded, and then only active in defeating the invader, 100% of everything the US military is doing right now has nothing to do with defense.
    Do you actually think we can call up a temporary army and effectively repel an invasion by a large military power like China?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast