Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transgender Pilots Frustrated Over Extra Scrutiny From FAA

Exclamation Transgender Pilots Frustrated Over Extra Scrutiny From FAA

LOL @ "flyboys"

Transgender Pilots Frustrated Over Extra Scrutiny From FAA

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...cal-exams-faa/

November 20, 2015 7:12 PM By Juliette Goodrich

OAKLAND (KPIX 5) – When it comes to clearing pilots for takeoff, the Federal Aviation Administration uses regular medical exams to make sure they’re fit to fly. But the process may not be fair for everyone in the cockpit.

Every time Jessica Zacharias starts the engine of a plane, she’s fulfilling a childhood dream.

“I remember in grade 3 creating a poster showing me and what my career goal was for the future and I said commercial airline pilot,” Zacharias said.

Zacharias wound up with a tech career and a pilot’s license on the side. She flies for fun, and sometimes ferries planes for other owners, and even gives flying lessons.

All of it requires her to update her airman’s medical certificate annually.

“You show up to a local doctor who is certified to give aviation medicals,” Zacharias explained. “You go there and they give you a very basic medical including vision tests, hearing tests, and then they do a lot of other things that a normal medical would do, in terms of blood pressure, listen to you breathe, heart rate.”

And that’s how it went, every year since 2001. Then it got complicated.

“This time around I got a letter in the springtime saying I wasn’t approved as a normal medical,” Zacharias recalled.

In 2013, Zacharias reported she was transitioning from male to female.

The FAA eventually renewed her medical certificate, after she provided additional information. But now they were saying they would require the extra information every time.

“I had to do an additional psych evaluation and I also needed to get an additional letter from my doctor, not only describing what was being prescribed, but also the prognosis of what were my plans for the future as well, and very detailed information,” Zacharias said.

Ilona Turner is the legal director for the Oakland-based Transgender Law Center.

“I think this is incredibly unfair,” Turner said. “The FAA is imposing these requirements on transgender pilots alone, that they don’t impose on anybody else, due to an absurd and incredibly out of date understanding of what it means to be transgender.”

The center helped another transgender pilot actually change FAA policy in 2012. Yet now, Turner said, this is happening to almost all transgender pilots anyway.

“Jessica was told that being transgender means that she’s inherently unstable, and that kind of attitude is something that was intended to be stamped out by the 2012 policy. And the fact that the folks at the FAA are still repeating, that is very troubling,” Turner said.

KPIX 5 asked the FAA for an on-camera interview several times, but they said no.

They did send a statement, which said, “Once a transgender pilot is determined to be stable following their gender transition, they may be issued an unrestricted medical certificate…We are in the process of clarifying our guidance in our aviation medical examiners guide.”

“Pretty frustrated and upset because. It was just kind of this blanket, ‘You need to provide more information,’ and no real reason why. Just that’s the way it is,” Zacharias said.

The FAA did tell KPIX 5 that they are updating their wording to replace the term “gender identity disorder” with “gender dysphoria,” the term used by the American Psychiatric Association and many transgender groups.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll just drive.
    "The Patriarch"

Ok.... the thread and article titles both say pilotS.... so who is the other one?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Ok.... the thread and article titles both say pilotS.... so who is the other one?
    Danke?

I know he's been acting like a pansy lately, what with "safe special snowflake spaces" and all.

Given the reported overwhelmingly high rate of post-chop-o depression, the feds are correct in being concerned.

Female hormones have no business in the cockpit of an airliner.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Technically a cockpit would be exactly the place I'd expect to find female hormones.
    I mean, if we're being literal.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Technically a cockpit would be exactly the place I'd expect to find female hormones.
    I mean, if we're being literal.
    Let's call it one of the few PC terms I agree with:

Flight deck.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Let's call it one of the few PC terms I agree with:

Flight deck.
    The "Flight Deck" is about as gay as the "Lido Deck".

I flew with a guy once that made a big PC deal about the cockpit.

Didn't like him very much.

His lack of core flying skills resulted in overcompensation in the PC department.

He would have been perfect for United.

Last edited by sparebulb; 11-22-2015 at 10:42 PM.

First they came for the Trannies......

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    More like "attack of the trannies".
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    No, that's just Danke's MO.

Given the reported overwhelmingly high rate of post-chop-o depression, the feds are correct in being concerned.

Yes, you read that correctly.
    They rename it if there are females up their, Box Office.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

The FAA is requiring a psych evaluation for pilots who self-mutilate and perpetrate as the opposite sex.... and yet somehow these people are offended that their sanity is being questioned!?
    Last edited by Matt Collins; 11-23-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Female hormones have no business in the cock....ok there's a joke in there.

I don't know about that, but I do know that there have been a couple articles pointing out the the mental health scores for the trannys are significantly lower than the general population, in that they are more likely to suffer from depression and commit suicide among other things.

I hate flying commercial .Be piloted by the mentally ill ? , nah, Mrs O would never go for that .......

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    They rename it if there are females up their, Box Office.
    NWO in the sky.

Girls up front, Dick in the rear.

I once had a simulator instructor who simulated calls to the cockpit by talking with a lisp and announcing himself on the intercom with "This is Dick in the rear".

It added levity to the normally sterile learning environment.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Be piloted by the mentally ill?
    A world full of satist $#@!heads can ban personal phone conversations and a few beers while driving in your own damn car...
    but whack mind alerting hormone drugs and acting out a sexual fetish on the clock at 30,000 feet with 200 people on board... totally legit.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    The FAA is requiring a psych evaluation for pilots who self-mutilate and perpetrate as the opposite sex.... and yet somehow these people are offended that their sanity is being questioned!?
    LOL, Matt and I don't agree often, but...

NWO in the sky.

Girls up front, Dick in the rear.

I once had a simulator instructor who simulated calls to the cockpit by talking with a lisp and announcing himself on the intercom with "This is Dick in the rear".

It added levity to the normally sterile learning environment.
    You're a pilot as well?

Guess I'm the only sailor here.

Whats United, AA, Delta, etc's position on this?

Hopefully they don't discriminate against transgender, even if trans statistically do have greater incidence of depression, because, well, it wouldn't be very progressive of them.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Poor frustrated babies, why not just apply for a flight attendant's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Poor frustrated babies, why not just apply for a flight attendant's job.
    Because they don't let the Danke's pick the attendants for their flight anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You're a pilot as well?

Guess I'm the only sailor here.
    Yep. Although I am lucky and no longer work for the airlines.

I'm always intrigued with your nautical insights, AF. The industries are very similar, it seems.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Whats United, AA, Delta, etc's position on this?

Hopefully they don't discriminate against transgender, even if trans statistically do have greater incidence of depression, because, well, it wouldn't be very progressive of them.
    United, for one, has been totally gay for at least twenty years. They went way out in the early nineties to hire every minority that had a ticket to make every cockpit look like the cover of a Girl Scout cookie box. This put tremendous strain on the experienced white captain, who in many cases, was single-piloting your jet. Most people with an IQ over 70 will come up to speed eventually, but there is always the problem of not having a deep pool of experience to fall back on when things go wrong that aren't in the book.

We were told many years ago that the San Francisco airport commissars would not let an airline have gate slots unless they complied with a long list of workplace "equality" demands. United was the biggest player there and was the first to play the game. I'm sure the rest of the airlines have fallen into line in that regard and other cities are probably doing the same as SF.

United, for one, has been totally gay for at least twenty years. They went way out in the early nineties to hire every minority that had a ticket to make every cockpit look like the cover of a Girl Scout cookie box. This put tremendous strain on the experienced white captain, who in many cases, was single-piloting your jet. Most people with an IQ over 70 will come up to speed eventually, but there is always the problem of not having a deep pool of experience to fall back on when things go wrong that aren't in the book.

We were told many years ago that the San Francisco airport commissars would not let an airline have gate slots unless they complied with a long list of workplace "equality" demands. United was the biggest player there and was the first to play the game. I'm sure the rest of the airlines have fallen into line in that regard and other cities are probably doing the same as SF.
    I'm still bent at that worm of a CEO at Continental, Smisek, for selling out and merging with United.

They do that in the magazine as well.

Yep. Although I am lucky and no longer work for the airlines.

I'm always intrigued with your nautical insights, AF. The industries are very similar, it seems.
    A lot of the safety and performance matrices that are being heaped on us, come from the airline industry.

They are finding out, however, in lean times in the oil patch, all that nonsense results in non profitability.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

So let me get this straight, someone that drinks and drives is a monster for which police roadblocks and forcible blood draws are condoned. Yet it is okay for a mentally ill transgender to pilot a plane that risks many more lives and issue is taken with their mental and physical exams calling it discrimination.

Boy this country sure has it's priorities screwed up. Drunks should demand the freedom to drink and drive with case a beer in the car and claim discrimination if they get pulled over. I do not see how it is any different, actually I feel safer with the guy having a few drinks behind the wheel rather than the risk of a flight with a transgender pilot.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

What's the current count on transgender pilots? Two, three? Who gives a frick?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    What's the current count on transgender pilots? Two, three? Who gives a frick?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast