Thread: 401K contributions - your thoughts

401K contributions - your thoughts

Hey. I decided to re-evaluate my 401k. This is with Charles Schwab. Any of you have any experience with any of the following and how would you divide up your investments, if different from mine.

Stocks
    Large Company
    Allianz AGIC Growth Admin 0 %
    BlackRock Equity Dividend Inv A 0 %
    Fidelity Contrafund 39 %
    Schwab S&P 500 Index 0 %
    Small/Mid Co.
    BlackRock US Opportunities Inv A 0 %
    Columbia Small Cap Growth I Z 0 %
    Perkins Mid Cap Value A 0 %
    Royce Low Priced Stock Svc 0 %
    Intl/Global
    Allianz AGIC International Growth I 37 %
    Allianz NFJ International Value A 23 %
    Artio International Equity II A 0 %
    Lazard Emerging Markets Equity Open 0 %
    Bonds
    Loomis Sayles Investment Grade Bond 0 %
    PIMCO Total Return D 0 %
    Balanced
    AllianceBern 2000 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2005 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2010 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2015 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2020 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2025 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2030 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2035 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2040 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2045 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2050 Retirement Strat 0 %
    AllianceBern 2055 Retirement Strat 0 %
    Capital Preservation
    Schwab Stable Value 0 %

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    not trying to scare you but i'm a firm believer of history always repeats it self. Thats why most of us here know the US government will collapse based on history of Rome, Germany, etc..., with that said, i think the US government is going to seize all 401k and retirement under a national emergency like that did in Argentina. so my advice, cash out and go into physical PMs.

SIDE NOTE on PM: if you do cash out, i don't know when you should, PMs been crazy lately.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

I would open a Roth at a discount brokerage.

That way you can invest in things other than mutual funds - stocks, commodity ETFs, etc.

Why anyone even has a 401K after what happened in 2008 is beyond me. But then, I am 24 years old and have a ways to go before it's time for me to decide on what a "real" retirement plan is.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

@nobody --

I took it out prior to that 2008 debacle, took some loss, and then started up again once things started to climb. Overall, I am ahead.

Just curious if anyone has any knowledge/experience with any of the groups mentioned above.

I haven't started saving for retirement. I'm 22 currently. I would invest in precious metals. I would also invest in some pm mine stocks. I'd open up a roth ira. Currently the government can't touch it. Also I'd buy some physical things such as property and commodities. I think the safest bet is moving somewhere without a property tax (I don't know if there is a place) and somewhere with a low or no income tax rate. These conditions would be ideal for retirement. IMO. Investing in the stock market is a game. I wouldn't play if you can't get hurt. Everyone knows that though. My best advice would be going physical. It's harder to lose things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Why anyone even has a 401K after what happened in 2008 is beyond me. But then, I am 24 years old and have a ways to go before it's time for me to decide on what a "real" retirement plan is.
    Cause if you invested it correctly you wouldn't have had huge loss in 2008 (had close 25% in MMs during the collapse), over 5 year period my 401k return is at about 5% yr. Plus factor in 401k match its foolish not to put in the max amount they match and leave it at that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Xar,

Right now I'm 33% American Europacific Growth Fund, 4.5% Hotchkis & Wiley Mid-Cap Value, 11.9% Lord Abbett Small Cap Value, 9.2% PIMCO Total Return and 41.4% Cash.

My Cash # is extremely high and drives my adviser nuts, but I like having it just in case we have another crash, I have a barrel of dry powder to dive back in when people are bugging out and heading for the hills.

I think it's good you are heavy international, for what it is worth.

Nice part about 401(K)'s are they are pre-tax, meaning, if you could stuff the max amount (I think $16k?) away each year, you can defer paying about $6k in taxes. That's $6k of your earnings in your retirement account hopefully earning, instead of in D.C., likely burning.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Arklatex

I'd take the money any way I can get it in my hands and buy a boat. That's just me and there ain't many.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
    Plus factor in 401k match its foolish not to put in the max amount they match and leave it at that.
    Agreed.

Also, ask to see if you can get a "401k Brokerage Window" as some 60% of 401k providers offer it. The window allows you to purchase any stock, ETF, mutual fund, etc that you wish through your 401k.

It is difficult to predict the future. Does the USA look like it still respects the free enterprise system? Will it be able to have a free enterprise system in the future? With the growth of government and government debt, investing in capitalism is more risky. The rise of the Tea Party movement over the last 2 years is encouraging, but the political Establishment is still firmly in control of the tax system. Money is power and they want your money.
    I have always been suspicious of the mutual fund/401k/IRA deferred tax retirement system. The government could confiscate that money one way or another.
    But I still invest in it and acknowledge there may be little or nothing in it for me.

Diversify. Buy land away from large population centers, enough acres to live on, just in case.

Buy some precious metals, and understand they are a static investment, they just sit there and do nothing.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post

Nice part about 401(K)'s are they are pre-tax, meaning, if you could stuff the max amount (I think $16k?) away each year, you can defer paying about $6k in taxes. That's $6k of your earnings in your retirement account hopefully earning, instead of in D.C., likely burning.
    Not to mention that most employers kick in a portion, thereby bumping the return up immediately.

I like international funds these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    any other opinions?
    yep..

cashed mine out and will never put another penny in it. Case closed.. I will control MY wealth and the decisions concerning MY wealth from now on.

Good luck to you. leaving your wealth in all of those worthless paper dollars is risky!