Thread: Simon Cowell hasn't used mobile phone for 10 months, says it's 'so good for my mental health'

Simon Cowell hasn't used mobile phone for 10 months, says it's 'so good for my mental health'

This kinda retro trend if got popular could be dangerous for economy:

Simon Cowell hasn't used his mobile phone for 10 months, says it's 'so good for my mental health'

• Television producer and reality show judge Simon Cowell said he hasn't used a cell phone in 10 months, he told The Daily Mail.
    • The act of unplugging has made him more focused on what's around him, Cowell said.

Michelle Castillo
    Published 7 Hours Ago
    Getty Images
    Simon Cowell

Television producer and reality TV show judge Simon Cowell hasn't used his mobile phone in almost a year — and he told a U.K.-based publication that it's "absolutely made me happier."
    In an interview with the Daily Mail, Cowell — known for his work on "American Idol" and "X Factor" and his notorious on-air insults — stated used to get irritated when he had a meeting, and everyone was their phone.
    "I literally have not been on my phone for ten months," the TV mogul told The Mail.
    Since he's given up his addictive phone habits, he noticed he's been more focused on his immediate surroundings, he told the publication. He's also closing in on a deal to sell "Britain's Got Talent" to the BBC.
    Ditching his mobile "has been so good for my mental health," he said. "It's a very strange experience but it really is good for you and it has absolutely made me happier.'
    Cowell is one of the latest people to draw attention to unplugging from cell phones as a way to improve mood, health and cut down on distractions.
    A study by analytics firm Flurry showed U.S. consumers spend five hours a day on their phones. About 77 percent of U.S. adults own a smartphone, according to Pew.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/03/simo...10-months.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A study by analytics firm Flurry showed U.S. consumers spend five hours a day on their phones. About 77 percent of U.S. adults own a smartphone, according to Pew.
    Srsly? What are people doing on their phones for so much time? I use mine for getting rides hither and thither, occasionally instacart, and making regular calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Srsly? What are people doing on their phones for so much time? I use mine for getting rides hither and thither, occasionally instacart, and making regular calls.
    Social media..browsing...texting....but mostly social media
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Social media..browsing...texting....but mostly social media
    Banking.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Does passive use like using Pandora or YouTube Audio to stream music count? I do that all the time at work with a BlueTooth connected speaker. When I did longhaul driving I shopped for Audiobooks and Podcasts.

Other people might be doing Skype calls or conferences.

But yeah certainly some are doing Amazon shopping or they're on Facebook or Reddit.

I don't get the cell phone craze, at all. It really bothers me when people go out socially and spend the whole time finger $#@!ing (that's my favorite AFism) their phone. What really kills me is when they've spent the evening glued to the phone and the next day you see pics and a write up about how great the evening was on FB. WTF? Those people have what I call FB fabulous lives. It got so bad with a few of my friends that I quit going out with them. I tell 'em too. People know when they go out with me, you put your damn phone away. I don't even want to see it on the table.

I rarely use my cell phone. As a matter of fact, I was looking at my bill the other day and I only used 2% of my data for the month. I have the smallest plan and share it with my son. I fairly certain he used the 2%. The boys share a phone. I make them pay for theirs and they decided to share one phone and split the bill.

Mr A still has a flip phone. He lost it for 4 months and I don't even think he looked for it. My son found it when he was helping me shampoo the furniture. It had slid down in his tv chair. He never answers it. It cracks me up when I hear him giving people his cell number because I know that means he doesn't really want to hear from them. That man...an INTJ to the bone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Just ditched Netflix. . .

will be rid of "Smart"phone in December

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't get the cell phone craze, at all. It really bothers me when people go out socially and spend the whole time finger $#@!ing (that's my favorite AFism) their phone. What really kills me is when they've spent the evening glued to the phone and the next day you see pics and a write up about how great the evening was on FB. WTF? Those people have what I call FB fabulous lives. It got so bad with a few of my friends that I quit going out with them. I tell 'em too. People know when they go out with me, you put your damn phone away. I don't even want to see it on the table.

I rarely use my cell phone. As a matter of fact, I was looking at my bill the other day and I only used 2% of my data for the month. I have the smallest plan and share it with my son. I fairly certain he used the 2%. The boys share a phone. I make them pay for theirs and they decided to share one phone and split the bill.

Mr A still has a flip phone. He lost it for 4 months and I don't even think he looked for it. My son found it when he was helping me shampoo the furniture. It had slid down in his tv chair. He never answers it. It cracks me up when I hear him giving people his cell number because I know that means he doesn't really want to hear from them. That man...an INTJ to the bone.
    Ever notice how many restaurants have had Televisions for a long time? Usually either running News or Sports? I think there is almost an established idea of staying up to date on things even while at gatherings.

I think TVs for everyone does tend be more involving since everyone sees the same show if they care to look at it. I just don't think screens in Restaurants is quite a new thing, just different and still a community experience for everyone on the same app.

With that said, I do think Facebook is a shallow tool for socializing no matter what the context is. If someone for example wanted to email another person some cool vacation pictures rather then hold their phone up to them I can kind of get that just for convenience, but ceasely posting to their Facebook timeline would be a bit much.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I also wonder if Simon not using his mobile is better for his friends' mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I also wonder if Simon not using his mobile is better for his friends' mental health.
    I wonder if Simon has an assistant that is now on his phone even more than before and is answering/relaying calls for Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I wonder if Simon has an assistant that is now on his phone even more than before and is answering/relaying calls for Simon.
    If you don't win on American Idol or Britain's Got Talent, the consolation prize is a job offering to answer Simon's mobile phone.

I broke down and bought a dirt cheap (5 bucks) semi-smart phone.. just for the GPS since the one in my car blows chunks - Nav via serious radio came with the car but has never been updated so it clearly does not know where I am half the time. Never made a phone call on it. Hated it so much, it's now my kid's phone - who also hates that particular phone but unlike me, figured out how to answer the blasted thing.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I broke down and bought a dirt cheap (5 bucks) semi-smart phone.. just for the GPS since the one in my car blows chunks - Nav via serious radio came with the car but has never been updated so it clearly does not know where I am half the time. Never made a phone call on it. Hated it so much, it's now my kid's phone - who also hates that particular phone but unlike me, figured out how to answer the blasted thing.

Siriusly?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm the exact same.
    Flip phone.
    I lose it all the time, which sucks because I can't even call it to find it, because 80% of the time the battery is dead.
    I just charge it when I'm in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Ever notice how many restaurants have had Televisions for a long time? Usually either running News or Sports? I think there is almost an established idea of staying up to date on things even while at gatherings.

I think TVs for everyone does tend be more involving since everyone sees the same show if they care to look at it. I just don't think screens in Restaurants is quite a new thing, just different and still a community experience for everyone on the same app.

With that said, I do think Facebook is a shallow tool for socializing no matter what the context is. If someone for example wanted to email another person some cool vacation pictures rather then hold their phone up to them I can kind of get that just for convenience, but ceasely posting to their Facebook timeline would be a bit much.
    Yes, I know bars have tvs. It doesn't bother me in a bar and it doesn't bother me to go to a bar to watch sports because a) what's on tv is an ice breaker (I had a great time laughing with a stranger about the Cornhole tournament that was showing one night) and b) when we're watching sports, I knew ahead of time that's what we went there for but I don't like them in restaurants and it bothers me when people get sucked into the tv, too. Mr A and the boys know better than to look at the thing when we're at dinner. As a matter of fact, Mr A put one in our kitchen and it only lasted a week before he came home and I had taken it down. It's rude. When I go out of my way to spend time with someone I give them my undivided attention and I expect the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Siriusly?

in too late to edit it.. and I can't blame auto correct..
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.