Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    People rave about the Sym HD 200 and the American company that imports and brands PGO's scooters is called Genuine headquartered in Chicago. The Genuine "Buddy" also has stellar reviews from their owners.

I understand and I used to sell them and wrench on them. Have a kymco under the house I'm hopping up for a buddy who rides sym right now. Honda>Kymco>--- everyone else. All the components, suspension, brakes, fit and finish, general build quality and ride quality is superior on the kymco. For the price kymco has no competition. The sym is better then china, the cheaper Taiwan brands are getting better, kymco even seems to be getting worse, but still no comparison.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yes, in this case a 4-53 Detroit (4 cylinders 53 cid per cylinder)

That seems to be the most common, since it will fit easily.

But I've seen 6-53s 6-92s and even an inline 6-71 installed.
    There's a reason the army still runs the two strokes....

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    Avoid ethonal(eats the float needle)
    Unfortunately not an option here in The Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia.

There's a reason the army still runs the two strokes....
    Railroads and marine service still use the two stroke EMDs as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_710

He made a good point...any small foreign engine, especially one not made by the "big four" is susceptible to ethanol damage.

Use a high quality additive to mitigate damage to tanks, lines, carbs, injectors and so on.

Especially if it's a two stroker.

What do they sell down by the recreational docks? Ethonal free can be stored for a while.

What do they sell down by the recreational docks? Ethonal free can be stored for a while.
    Avgas is an option too.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Avgas is an option too.
    'Especially in a modern fuel injected bike, it makes more power.

No, no. I am quite intrigued and interested in what you have to say. Seriously. And I've flip-flopped more than Mitt Romney on what bike to get. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. The only thing you've said that I take some adverse issue with is the "style and class" motive. I don't think I care too much what others think about what I'm riding. But that may not be exactly what you were referring to.
    This is a good/great starter bike that will hold its value or appreciate, is easier to work on than the BMW I showed you earlier, is small enough to maneuver yet powerful enough to get you out of trouble.....The company is still in business and parts are available from the manufacturer as well as aftermarket....And it's classy

'Especially in a modern fuel injected bike, it makes more power.
    Or with 13-1

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a good/great starter bike that will hold its value or appreciate, is easier to work on than the BMW I showed you earlier, is small enough to maneuver yet powerful enough to get you out of trouble.....The company is still in business and parts are available from the manufacturer as well as aftermarket....And it's classy

Was my first bike.

im a triumph guy, I loved my trident and the new triples are the best, but about that drum brake and the oil weep on the lower case

Or with 13-1
    Thas a lot a pressure

Is buying a 45 year old bike a good idea for a novice with no wrenching experience?

Is buying a 45 year old bike a good idea for a novice with no wrenching experience?
    Not that bike lol, I have two of them in pieces in a storage unit, prolly stay that way and I'm a decent wrench. �� lol

Unless I find a featherbed for the one good motor.

im a triumph guy, I loved my trident and the new triples are the best, but about that drum brake and the oil weep on the lower case
    Can you think of a better bike to learn on?

Simple to wrench, no 'puters carbs drums and a chain, spokes to knock out of true fork seals that contain oil instead of air or gas.....

It'd be a learning experience that not many youngsters get today....

My kid will learn the old stuff 1st then if he wants the headaches he can go new(er)....

I'm steering him toward a 74 knuckle on a hardtail but you don't like those.....

Or that Joe Lucas - Prince of Darkness electrical system.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-09-2017 at 04:55 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you think of a better bike to learn on?

Simple to wrench, no 'puters carbs drums and a chain, spokes to knock out of true fork seals that contain oil instead of air or gas.....
    Any 80's or 90's Japanese standard or enduro. I recommend the Kawasaki KLR 650 as the best bike ever made, dead simple/reliable/easy to work on. Does everything good, excels at nothing.
    Last edited by afwjam; 05-09-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Or that Joe Lucas - Prince of Darkness electrical system.
    They were well ahead of the curve and invented intermittent wipers and auto dimming headlights before anyone ever thought of the idea.

Here's one for AF;

And what I hope to get built for son before he graduates (6yrs)

I recommend the Kawasaki KLR 650 as the best bike ever made
    I like the idea of being able to flatfoot, perhaps even with a modest bend at the knee. Wouldn't one need to be about 6' 7" to accomplish that with a KLR 650?

He left us hanging as to why a pickup truck in Hawaii must be a Nissan or Toyota. Jeez that BMW motorcycle sure sounded smooth!

He left us hanging as to why a pickup truck in Hawaii must be a Nissan or Toyota. Jeez that BMW motorcycle sure sounded smooth!
    You won't go wrong with a Beemer....

I like the idea of being able to flatfoot, perhaps even with a modest bend at the knee. Wouldn't one need to be about 6' 7" to accomplish that with a KLR 650?
    Im 6'3" and flat foot, my after market suspension rides high and is sprung for my 240 and the wife. They make lowering links for the ladies, with 11" of travel gives plenty to work with. Stock the bike is sprung for like a 140 pound Japanese man, I recommend respringing and setting sag for your weight. Get the doohickey changed too, if it has not been done. Is dead cheap, fun and reliable otherwise you can fix it in a Home Depot parking lot.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Im 6'3" and flat foot, my after market suspension rides high and is sprung for my 240 and the wife. They make lowering links for the ladies, with 11" of travel gives plenty to work with. Stock the bike is sprung for like a 140 pound Japanese man, I recommend respringing and setting sag for your weight. Get the doohickey changed too, if it has not been done. Is dead cheap, fun and reliable otherwise you can fix it in a Home Depot parking lot.
    Thanks for the insights. What's the doohickey, if I may ask?

Balancer chain tensioner lever, prone to breaking and hosing the engine, easy fix from eagle Mike.

They made a USMC diesel KLR which would be tits in a mad max situation.

It's obvious you're pretty set on spending your money in that venue so I'll try and hold my tongue.....
    I'm pretty enamored with the idea of a very low seat height for the stability of flex-kneed flat footing, so something relatively affordable like this is not completely out of the question (currently on Craigslist - quite a good deal on this I believe):

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/6122871555.html

These too I sorta like (another good deal here I believe...):

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/6117709421.html
    Last edited by anaconda; 05-09-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast