Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap's Off-Grid Adventure

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

3 days late, when do we send a search party?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    https://twitter.com/my_at_/status/1622583703032430594

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Lord willing, I should be back on Feb 7th to check up the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    3 days late, when do we send a search party?
    We understand. Trying to convince everyone that you're ahead of your time is a lot of work.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-06-2023 at 12:00 PM.

Hard to keep track of time in Feb in the North Woods. You dont see the moon much. I usually concluded my adventures in my youth by emd of Jan.
    Do something Danke

I survived! Thanks, AF for the posts - looks like I have a bunch of reading to do...

While I'm doing that, here's a funny story to tie you over for awhile...

One day last week, I went for a hike along the Parks Highway. I got some cool pictures of Denali, which I'll have to host and post somehow, but that's beside the point. The highway was pretty dead because of the snow and ice, but every now and then there'd be a vehicle pass by. I went out for a snowshoe hike. While out in waist-high snow, I came within 50 feet of a moose - we both look at each other and decided to go the opposite way. We were both just sick of it, lol. When I made it back to the Jeep, I was dead tired and was taking off my snowshoes. It was a hard trek and I was glad to finally be out of the snow. I heard some traffic coming over the hill, which was weird. There was a military convoy heading north. Probably 25-30 heavy vehicles.

Of course, my mind starts running wild because - you know... Alaska and Russia are neighbors and I haven't seen any news. Anyway, I headed back to the cabin. The next morning at 5:50 am, the whole cabin starts shaking. Clearly, an earthquake. But my mind instantly went back to the convoy from the previous day. Imagine the thoughts you'd have at that point. 5:50 was too early to get up - besides, I didn't have anything to do and it wouldn't be light for at least 3 more hours. So I laid there considering if this was the start of the end of the world. I got up, used the outhouse, looked around for lights and seeing none, went back to sleep.

When I finally woke up, I casually made breakfast and went for a drive to see if things were still moving. The closest gas station/convenience store was like 25 minutes away, but I saw cars along the way so figured it was nothing. I went inside the convenience store to buy some eggs (that they didn't have - grrr... I bought some pop just so I didn't look weird) and heard people at the counter talking about the morning's earthquake. Apparently, there was a 5.0 earthquake about a hundred miles south. But the cabin was just resting on frozen wood stump piers. So a little shaking gets amplified as the cabin slides around on them. Afterwards, the cabin was slightly off-level.

Funny story that I thought you'd all appreciate. Can't wait to tell you about "Anarchist Pete", my other moose encounters, dog mushing, Scott the fish whisperer, my most dangerous days (and nights) and many more. But first, I gotta get some rest. I'll read up a bit and will check back in tomorrow.
    Last edited by CaptUSA; 02-06-2023 at 09:45 PM.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The next morning at 5:50 am, the whole cabin starts shaking. Clearly, an earthquake.
    There too? Big oned in Turkey that affected a large portion of the middle east. Seneca, NY too. Indonesia. Taiwan. Hawaii. Texas. Multiple faults, all in the same day. And all within hours of the demonic insanity show that was this year's Grammys...

Welcome back. Glad your cabin didn't collapse on you.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-06-2023 at 09:15 PM.

Ho. Li. $#@!.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this is really throwing me for a loop. I'm just reading through those half of those headlines in quick succession, it just looks insane! Is this what we've become accustomed to?!

Seriously, this is going to take a while to process - not really the things that happened yet, but what a $#@!show the world really is in.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Ho. Li. $#@!.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this is really throwing me for a loop. I'm just reading through those half of those headlines in quick succession, it just looks insane! Is this what we've become accustomed to?!

Seriously, this is going to take a while to process - not really the things that happened yet, but what a $#@!show the world really is in.
    It's pretty staggering isn't it?

The bull$#@!'s piling up so fast you need wings to stay above it.

Please keep in mind, I tried as hard as I could to not let my personal biases lead me to what was posted.

I really did try to grab a mix of stories that was objective, or based on topics I know you have an interest in, not just stuff I thought important or provocative.

Glad you had a good time in the great white north.

Ho. Li. $#@!.

The one thing I hated - basically scared the crap out of me multiple times in my Alaska trips was the threat-encounters from bears. Damn they can run really fast and will even charge at your car. Did you run into anything like that?

The only other beast where I felt the same was encounters with sharks in the keys. The worst being working near my outboard and suddenly face to face with one that leaped onto the boat chomping teeth as if trying to get close enough to bite my head off. There was like a school of them and all slamming their heads on the boat as if trying to knock it over for a meal with me being the meal that they could see before they started to slam their heads and try to leap onto the boat, which one did make it successfully.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It's pretty staggering isn't it?
    So, to be honest, it's gonna take me awhile to get my bearings back. I started slowly reading those stories, but I keep turning away from it all. It's like having my head buried in the sand and then yanked out to to view this bright chaotic scene before me. (not sure if that makes sense = lol)

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    The one thing I hated - basically scared the crap out of me multiple times in my Alaska trips was the threat-encounters from bears. Damn they can run really fast and will even charge at your car. Did you run into anything like that?
    Ok, so the bears are still hibernating, so no issues there. But here's an incident I referred to earlier...

I found a beautiful clear day (which were few and far between) and drove as near to Denali as I could on the Parks Highway and then the plan was to grabbed the snowshoes and go see how close I could get. I wasn't planning an overnighter, just far enough in and out for a day hike. The closer I got to the mountain, the road got icier and icier. When it got to the point that I was getting anxious on the ice, I found a spot and pulled over. As planned, I grabbed my snowshoes and set out. I climbed over the plow mounds on the side of the road and then started trekking. The snow was not good for snowshoeing. Every step sank in to my knees. But I pushed through hoping it'd get better or I'd get used to it. It's a hard slog, but you can still go.

At one point, though, I kinda turned a corner to get to the other side of a hill and sank in to my chest. I stepped into a drift. I pushed my poles down trying to find ground to push off of and finally hit ground when the tops of the poles were around my ankles. (Maybe 7 feet deep?) Anyway, but the time I got out of that, I was dead tired. I could see a good clearing ahead, so I made it there, took a few pics, sat on a branch and tried to catch my breath. My heart was pounding at this point and I considered if this would be my final resting place. It would have made a beautiful place to die. I figured the wife and kids would be mad, though. I knew I'd be stupid to keep going farther so I turned around and started back.

As I turned, there was a big old moose not 50 feet away from me. They get very hangry this time of year. They're hungry and they've had just about enough of the snow and predators. They're known to get aggressive. And he was standing in my path. I guess that when I was sitting on the branch, I was being still enough he didn't know I was there. And it was windy, so I didn't hear him. When I got up and started walking, we both kinda stopped, looked at each other, and we both decided we didn't want anything to do with each other. He made a left and I made a left and we both went our separate ways.

I worked my way back to my previous snowshoe tracks which made the walk back much easier. Still stepping into foot and a half deep holes, but much easier to pull your foot back up. I just measured the distance on the map and the whole hike was about 1500' in and 1500' back out. Little over 1/2 a mile, but probably the most strenuous hike I've ever done and I've climbed mountains.

Don't skip the thread on the Chinese spy blimp..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

There. Finally got one to post...

This was the shot I almost died getting.

Now that I figured out how to post photos, here are a few more:

The cabin:

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A few more...

Nice looking floof.

He yours?

Nice looking floof.

He yours?
    Nah, she was my fishing buddy. She pulled the sled with all the gear and helped to spot tip-up flags on the ice. Such a trooper!

Nah, she was my fishing buddy. She pulled the sled with all the gear and helped to spot tip-up flags on the ice. Such a trooper!
    She's a good girl.

The outfitter supply her?

She's a good girl.

The outfitter supply her?
    I met a guy who is a fishing guide in the summer, and I asked if I could pay him to take me out on the ice. He had all the gear and leapt at the chance. (I guess they don't get a lot of business in winter) He asked if his girlfriend could come and she brought her dog, Aurora, seen above. This guy was amazing! He found a spot on a lake that we had to hike into - meaning, we had the whole lake to ourselves. Aurora pulled the sled loaded with the fishing gear (including about 10 tip-ups), the power ice auger, a buddy heater with propane, stools, and all sorts of other things. I'm guessing it was at least 200lbs on the way in and 275 on the way out with the fish we caught. But Aurora handled it like a champ! (She needed a little bit of help going up one hill when she lost momentum to stop to eat some moose poop.)

But the guide, Scott, figured that the northern pike would be near a creek emptying out into the lake trying to find smaller fish. In the winter, pike start to run out of food, so they'll cannibalize the smaller pike and you're left with the monsters. It was a good call. When ended up catching 11 BIG pike. I'm guessing 75-80lbs in all. The biggest was almost 11lbs (caught by me ). I kept that one for myself and ate it that night (Aurora got the meaty scraps above the Y bone.) The rest, I donated to the village elders.

I met a guy who is a fishing guide in the summer, and I asked if I could pay him to take me out on the ice. He had all the gear and leapt at the chance. (I guess they don't get a lot of business in winter) He asked if his girlfriend could come and she brought her dog, Aurora, seen above. This guy was amazing! He found a spot on a lake that we had to hike into - meaning, we had the whole lake to ourselves. Aurora pulled the sled loaded with the fishing gear (including about 10 tip-ups), the power ice auger, a buddy heater with propane, stools, and all sorts of other things. I'm guessing it was at least 200lbs on the way in and 275 on the way out with the fish we caught. But Aurora handled it like a champ! (She needed a little bit of help going up one hill when she lost momentum to stop to eat some moose poop.)

But the guide, Scott, figured that the northern pike would be near a creek emptying out into the lake trying to find smaller fish. In the winter, pike start to run out of food, so they'll cannibalize the smaller pike and you're left with the monsters. It was a good call. When ended up catching 11 BIG pike. I'm guessing 75-80lbs in all. The biggest was almost 11lbs (caught by me ). I kept that one for myself and ate it that night (Aurora got the meaty scraps above the Y bone.) The rest, I donated to the village elders.
    That's a cool story.. I used to have a big pike, 3ft, couple inches, right behind my house. Caught her a number of times, haven't tried in years. Yes I do release them. They grow up to 5ft around here. I would agree that winter is the best time to catch big mtf;ers. In summer you shouldn't go for pike unless it's to eat, as they cannot fight due to the low oxygenation of the water.... Winter is the right moment.

Apart from that, thanks for the pictures !! Wish I was there.
    "I am a bird"

Oh nice!

A perfect winter story.

I miss my Jefferson dog, especially in winter.

He could pull a toboggan with 4 kids on it with no problem.

Oh nice!

I miss my Jefferson dog, especially in winter.
    Beautiful pooch!!

Here's another of Aurora pulling the sled and getting some words of encouragement:

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good girl!

That's sub zero crunchy snow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12