Thread: Dems wage war on Kavanaugh, court: New battles over legitimacy, impeachment, recusal

Dems wage war on Kavanaugh, court: New battles over legitimacy, impeachment, recusal

Surprise surprise.

The narrow confirmation of now-Justice Brett Kavanaugh over the weekend marked a major political victory for President Trump – and the beginning of a new battle for Democrats, who are now shifting their message to threaten possible impeachment against the newest high court justice and question the legitimacy of the Supreme Court itself.
    After a grueling confirmation fight that included graphic sexual misconduct allegations which the nominee denied, Kavanaugh was confirmed Saturday on 50-48 vote. His ceremonial swearing-in will be held Monday evening.

But as he joins the court, replacing retired Justice Anthony Kennedy, prominent Democrats signal the fight over his seat and the court itself will extend well beyond next month's midterms.
    "Now, they want to impeach him. ... It's an insult to the American public," Trump said Monday, still fuming over the confirmation process and predicting Republican candidates would only benefit from the controversy in the midterms.
    Democrats, though, maintain the fight is energizing their core. "We will not stop marching, we will not stop fighting," DNC Chairman Tom Perez said in a statement.
    Over the weekend, former Attorney General Eric Holder said the court’s legitimacy should be brought into question with the addition of Kavanaugh.
    “With the confirmation of Kavanaugh and the process which led to it, (and the treatment of Merrick Garland), the legitimacy of the Supreme Court can justifiably be questioned. The Court must now prove—through its work—that it is worthy of the nation’s trust,” Holder tweeted, referring to former President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee whose confirmation process was blocked by Republicans in 2016.
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., top Democrat on the judiciary committee, also tweeted that confirming Kavanaugh "in the face of credible allegations of sexual assault that were not thoroughly investigated, and his belligerent, partisan performance in last Thursday’s hearing undermines the legitimacy of the Supreme Court."
    Some in the media advanced another argument to question the court's legitimacy under its current makeup. Newsweek wrote that Kavanaugh is now the “fourth out of nine justices nominated by a president who did not initially win the popular vote”—referring to President Trump and former Republican President George W. Bush.
    Whether the court's legitimacy really comes into question will be seen when major decisions start coming down. More immediately, though, some Democrats are hinting at impeachment efforts should they win the House in November.
    Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., said the option of impeaching Kavanaugh should not be ruled out and said he would support further investigation into the newest justice.
    “If there is conclusory evidence that shows unequivocally that he lied to a Senate committee, that is a crime and he should be held accountable for those criminal acts,” Booker told Yahoo News on Sunday in Iowa, suggesting a probe into whether Kavanaugh perjured himself before the Senate.
    He said, though, that Democrats first need to focus on taking back the Senate majority.
    “I think that after the dust settles on the night of [November] 6, I think that’s where we start to evaluate … what is the best thing for us to be focusing on in terms of what’s best for America and the American people,” Booker said.
    Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., said over the weekend that if the Democrats take back the majority in the House, they will launch a separate investigation into Kavanaugh’s potential perjury and alleged sexual assault.
    “It is not something we are eager to do,” Nadler told The New York Times Friday. “But the Senate having failed to do its proper constitutionally mandated job of advise and consent, we are going to have to do something to provide a check and balance, to protect the rule of law and to protect the legitimacy of one of our most important institutions.”
    He added: “We have to assure the American people either that it was a fair process and that the new justice did not commit perjury, did not do these terrible things, or reveal that we just don’t know because the investigation was a whitewash.”
    Some Democrats even called for considering the impeachment of Justice Clarence Thomas, over sexual harassment allegations he fought off during his 1991 confirmation.
    Last month, after an hours-long hearing where both Kavanaugh and one of his accusers, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, testified, there was a bipartisan call for further investigation into the allegations.
    Ford accused Kavanaugh of pinning her down to a bed and trying to remove her clothing at a high school party 36 years ago. She believed it to be an “attempted rape,” according to her legal team. Kavanaugh also faced allegations from Deborah Ramirez, who claimed the Supreme Court nominee exposed himself to her at a dorm party during their freshman year at Yale University; and Julie Swenitck, who claimed Kavanaugh drugged the “punch” at parties and was involved in or present at “gang” and “train” rapes while in high school. Kavanaugh denied all the claims publicly.
    The White House ordered a week-long FBI supplemental background investigation into the allegations. The report did not find evidence to corroborate the allegations, though Democrats complained that the probe was limited in scope.
    Another point of contention going forward may be Kavanaugh's involvement in a variety of court cases. CNN legal analyst Areva Martin said last week that Kavanaugh should recuse himself from cases involving civil rights, such as gerrymandering.
    “Those cases are often brought by political parties, they’re brought by Democrats, so if Judge Kavanaugh believes that this allegation brought by Dr. Ford was somehow orchestrated or engineered by Democratic operatives, how can he be unbiased in a gerrymandering case that’s brought by a Democratic party?” she said on CNN. “His name on the court will always have an asterisk.”

But Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz called that comment “ridiculous.”
    “He was confirmed, he will serve on the Supreme Court. He will be judged like the other justices,” Dershowitz said on Fox News' “America’s Newsroom” Monday.
    Dershowitz also warned Democrats not to move on impeachment.
    “Kavanaugh was not my choice—I’m a liberal Democrat—I would have appointed Merrick Garland again, but the Democrats have to be wise and sensible and just and moral and not violate due process and civil liberties,” Dershowitz said.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...chment-recusal
    Last edited by shakey1; 10-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What y'all saw is a dry run for POTUS Trump's hypothetical impeachment trial.
    1868, 1974 and 1999 are important years. This is a dress rehearsal for 2019.

Thats so interesting that they're still trying to keep this in the news cycle after polls showed GOP voter excitement rise to dem levels after the Kavanaugh debacle.

Who the hell is running strategy for the democrats, Hilary?

They should be shutting up, changing the subject and pray Republican voters forget about this and find a reason to stay home.

Dem arrogance is operating at an extremely high level.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Thats so interesting that they're still trying to keep this in the news cycle after polls showed GOP voter excitement rise to dem levels after the Kavanaugh debacle.

Who the hell is running strategy for the democrats, Hilary?

They should be shutting up, changing the subject and pray Republican voters forget about this and find a reason to stay home.

Dem arrogance is operating at an extremely high level.
    So true!

Hot on the heels of attacking Judge Brett Kavanaugh as a serial gang-rapist who should not be allowed around children, Democrats are wondering if it’s “time to be more ruthless,” Politico reports.
    After failing to stop Kavanaugh's confirmation, Democrats wonder if it's time to be more ruthless https://t.co/NyserWzlvR
    — POLITICO (@politico) October 7, 2018
    John F. Harris writes in Politico that many “top Democratic operatives” have “the fear that their party loses big power struggles because Republicans are simply tougher, meaner, more cynical and more ruthless than they are.”
    A belief in one’s own virtue feels good. Losing a battle that could shape the American political landscape for decades feels bad. The tension between the two left some Democrats grappling anew this weekend with the implications: Maybe they really are the Wet Rag Party.
    “They are more ruthless,” said Jennifer Palmieri, who over a quarter-century has served as a top aide to Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. “And I don’t want to be like them. … The answer can’t be for Democrats to be just as cynical.”
    This is more or less the Michelle Obama Doctrine, as articulated at the 2016 Democratic convention, just a few weeks before Hillary Clinton lost to Donald Trump: “When they go low, we go high.” Post-Kavanaugh Democrats interviewed this weekend aren’t exactly repudiating this idea—but they are qualifying it in important ways. As they articulate it, their answer is to be more realistic about what they see as Republicans’ strategy to disregard principle and process in their pursuit of power—as they argue the GOP did in ramming through Kavanaugh despite accusations of sexual assault—and more disciplined in a long-term way in fighting back.

One key, some prominent voices say, is more willingness to behave rudely, even in the respectable parlors where Democrats historically have turned for validation.
    “Democrats are the first to believe elite opinion and editorial-page opinion represent America, and they don’t,” said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
    When he worked as an aide to President Bill Clinton, Emanuel said, he often heard Clinton’s view that ever since Lyndon B. Johnson and Vietnam, Democrats have had “a physical allergic reaction about exercising power in pursuit of your goals.”
    But the example of Michael Avenatti highlights a tension for Democrats. As he flirts with an improbable 2020 presidential run, the lawyer for Stormy Daniels says his motto is: “When they go low, we hit harder.” People on both sides of the nomination fight said he probably helped Kavanaugh by introducing less credible allegations, showing that scorched earth isn’t necessarily fertile ground for Democrats.
    Emanuel, who recently decided not to seek reelection in part because of dissent from his leadership within his own party, doesn’t frame it so starkly. “It’s not about being meaner and more vicious than the other side. It’s being tougher and ruthless about achieving your real mission” on policies, he told me.
    As NRO’s Charles Cooke said on Twitter, “Next time they should just murder the nominee.”
    Next time they should just murder the nominee.
    — Charles C. W. Cooke (@charlescwcooke) October 7, 2018
    The reality is that Republicans (like the NRO crowd) for decades literally handed the country away to radical leftists for fear of being called mean names.
    It wasn’t until Donald Trump’s no-apology tour that Republicans learned how to fight back and win.

Democrats have engaged in the single-minded pursuit of political power for over 100 years, including by using terrorism in the 1960’s as with Obama’s great friend Bill Ayers. A Bernie Sanders supporter tried to mass murder Republicans in Alexandria just two years ago, yet the media act like it never even happened and seem to really want it to happen again.

Steve Scalise thinks this article might be poorly conceived.
    — Kyle Garlett (@KyleGarlett) October 7, 2018

More at: https://www.infowars.com/politico-af...more-ruthless/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

But the guy who shot up Vegas a year ago sounded like he liked DJT.
    Jeff Flake's death threats could have been from both the Right and
    the Left. If the FBI has to again crack down on communist or nazi
    groups like a retread of the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s because the
    isolated splinter cells on the political wings want to convert a middle
    that is often apathetic, then we all are going to see a horrid sideshow.

This is not the sad Reconstruction era "bloody shirt" and good ole Andy Johnson
    being taken to task on his "wus" stance on domestic terrorism, or mayhap even
    J.Edgar's brightest being so awful damnedly slow on figuring out who killed the
    idealistic young Freedom Riders, instead it's a polarizing escalation of rudeness
    or worse in public discourse. There are radical agitators on both sides into crude
    rude anarchy, who despise politeness. Violence if tolerated destroys from within.

he beginning of a new battle for Democrats, who are now shifting their message to threaten possible impeachment against the newest high court justice and question the legitimacy of the Supreme Court itself.
    Oh FFS. THese people were going to impeach Bush and try him for war crimes. Then they won the election, regained power, then shut up.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But McConnell blocks Garland, normally they'd have humoured Gorsuch
    after Garland, but as Lindsey Graham noticed, all the old compromising
    politeness is out the window. When ole Senator Lindsey gets up on a high
    horse and promises to be more badass than Rick Grimes of TWD on AMC,
    clearly the times they is ahh changing! I am taken back by his new resolve.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who has never opposed another sitting senator in his decades-long tenure, vowed Sunday to hit the campaign trail to actively oppose sitting Democrats who voted against now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
    The Washington Examiner reports that the suddenly fiery senator from South Carolina has pledged to change how he approaches his colleagues on the left, telling Fox News Sunday that he will appear alongside Republicans in midterm battleground states to help hammer home exactly what's at stake in the 2018 elections.

“All I can say is this is going to the streets at the ballot box,” Graham said. “I've never campaigned against a colleague in my life. That's about to change. I'm going to go throughout this country and let people in these purple states, red states, where Trump won, know what I thought, know what I think about this process.”

More at: https://www.dailywire.com/news/36822...-emily-zanotti

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    politeness is out the window.
    It's about time too, America didn't give the Senate to the Republicans to let a liberal take Scalia's place after the Demoncrats murdered him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It's about time too, America didn't give the Senate to the Republicans to let a liberal take Scalia's place after the Demoncrats murdered him.
    Or he passes away because it is GOD's plan
    And not man's flawed intent. You assume a
    foul transistion, not a natural transistion that
    is our moral mortal lot in life. You assume!!!

Or he passes away because it is GOD's plan
    And not man's flawed intent. You assume a
    foul transistion, not a natural transistion that
    is our moral mortal lot in life. You assume!!!
    The evidence is on my side.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who has never opposed another sitting senator in his decades-long tenure, vowed Sunday to hit the campaign trail to actively oppose sitting Democrats who voted against now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
    The Washington Examiner reports that the suddenly fiery senator from South Carolina has pledged to change how he approaches his colleagues on the left, telling Fox News Sunday that he will appear alongside Republicans in midterm battleground states to help hammer home exactly what's at stake in the 2018 elections.

“All I can say is this is going to the streets at the ballot box,” Graham said. “I've never campaigned against a colleague in my life. That's about to change. I'm going to go throughout this country and let people in these purple states, red states, where Trump won, know what I thought, know what I think about this process.”

More at: https://www.dailywire.com/news/36822...-emily-zanotti

Let's keep in mind South Carolina seceded first before the other states did in the winter of 1860/61.
    Lindsey being thought fiery and intense is a bad sign, even if he fails to sway moderates. His voters
    in his home state will follow what he does with a keen interest. I didn't expect him to loose his seat.

indeed.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LI didn't expect him to loose his seat.
    I can just see him now, unbolting it from the floor, opening the windows so it can fly free at last! Release the chair!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

The Democrats didn't bitch much about Garland because they were so sure Hillary had it in the bag. same reason RBD didn't retire, because she wanted the first woman president to appoint her replacement. They gambled and lost. too bad.

Grassley talks about Soros at 5:55

okaaaaaaaaay
    is there 2 B a
    Bluuuueeeeee
    WWWaaavvve?

okaaaaaaaaay
    is there 2 B a
    Bluuuueeeeee
    WWWaaavvve?
    NO

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

NO
    Can i quote U on this?

Can i quote U on this?
    YES

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

YES
    Cool!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dems wage war on Kavanaugh, court: New battles over legitimacy, impeachment, recusal
    Distraction to Continue Into the Winter..

What's happening with the trillion plus deficits and the bond market (which just hit equities today)?

O well, maybe we should pretend that Kavanaugh's appointment is going to make any difference at all.