Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "Bake the Cake" issue reversed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    The point is that people reach their conclusions not on principle, but on whether or not they agree with the reason for the refusal to do business with someone.

If you agree that commerce should be voluntary, the reasoning of either party doesn’t matter.

This incident just lays bare the hypocrisyof those who are not guided by principle. And as you can see in this thread, the usual suspects reveal themselves.
    Just because you deny the existence of the principles that are different in this case doesn't mean that people are making decisions that aren't based on principle.

The most you can say is that they are making decisions based on principles you don't agree with.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The baker, the vape shop, Starbucks, or Kim Davis. People refusing to do business with someone and the customer demanding service.

But people seem to line up with the customer or the business depending on their politics and the reasoning - not on the principle that anyone can refuse to serve anyone at any time for any reason.
    Dude, nobody is saying that, you are literally just making $#@! up and pulling it out of your ass..

The LEFT believes that businesses shouldn't be allowed to refuse service to anybody.. but they only believe it applies to them and that they should be able to refuse doing business with Trump supporters..

This Maga guy is just showing their hypocrisy - at an opportune time because he knows the property owner actually has his back and he is doing nothing wrong.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-29-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The baker, the vape shop, Starbucks, or Kim Davis. People refusing to do business with someone and the customer demanding service.

But people seem to line up with the customer or the business depending on their politics and the reasoning - not on the principle that anyone can refuse to serve anyone at any time for any reason.
    Except that not all of those are the same and you are ignoring the fact that I said Davis should have done her job or resigned.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    That you suspect slander might be an actual crime (it isn't--yet).

Not in the Starbucks case. There non-customers refused to do business--then demanded use of the chairs and the restrooms.
    I don't know that I suspect anything I do not know and thought it was a logical question.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    But muh vape juice.

Heh heh. I really did LOL.

Yeah, maybe the customer's wife is some fat bruiser who would have really made a scene had she been buying her own juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I don't know that I suspect anything I do not know and thought it was a logical question.
    It's a basis for civil suits. They're trying to make a crime of it, but they can't seem to figure out how to make it illegal to talk smack about only CEOs, politicians, MSM reporters and cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It's a basis for civil suits. They're trying to make a crime of it, but they can't seem to figure out how to make it illegal to talk smack about only CEOs, politicians, MSM reporters and cops.
    That is good to know. Thanks for the information.

Epic Snowflake Meltdown Over Trump T-shirt!

Now if the employee gets fired he'll be able to raise enough on a Gofundme to afford his operation.

"Bake the Cake" issue reversed

Started by CaptUSA, Yesterday

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The video is hilarious and worth a second watch.

When did the vape shop refuse service to anyone? If I hire someone its to have them do a specific job. I'm not giving them free rein to assault, cuss at, and threaten my customers with arrest by calling the cops. What if this clerk had done that to the owners family?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I think its worth posting the owners/company statement again.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    When did the vape shop refuse service to anyone? If I hire someone its to have them do a specific job. I'm not giving them free rein to assault, cuss at, and threaten my customers with arrest by calling the cops. What if this clerk had done that to the owners family?
    **^^This is epic^^**
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to William Tell again.

Lol I just occurred to me... Imagine the shirt changed. Imagine the guy was assaulted and threatened with arrest for wearing a Ron Paul shirt.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol I just occurred to me... Imagine the shirt changed. Imagine the guy was assaulted and threatened with arrest for wearing a Ron Paul shirt.
    No they just break Rand's ribs and nearly kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    The video is hilarious and worth a second watch.
    What in the world is that clerk so upset about?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    No they just break Rand's ribs and nearly kill him.
    I'm talking about the reaction on the forums. Here we have the ultimate statist thug trying to use force on his political enemies and half this thread is a rabbit trail taunting @Swordsmyth for not being libertarian enough.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I'm really saddened to see that it is apparently this difficult for some in the so-called "liberty movement" to apply basic principle tona relatively simple situation. If the political wing of the movement were all we had, we'd be doomed.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I'm talking about the reaction on the forums. Here we have the ultimate statist thug trying to use force on his political enemies and half this thread is a rabbit trail taunting @Swordsmyth for not being libertarian enough.
    And misrepresenting my positions to do it.
    Fortunately I have a thick skin.

Thanks for the help.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I'm really saddened to see that it is apparently this difficult for some in the so-called "liberty movement" to apply basic principle tona relatively simple situation. If the political wing of the movement were all we had, we'd be doomed.
    Everyone here is applying basic principles, there is just a disagreement about the details of how they apply and to whom.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Again. Starbucks, Denny’s, the vape shop, and Kim Davis were all employees who made decisions counter to their bosses. The employee paid the price he should have. Still does not mean they have to serve anyone who comes in the door. Only that if they make a decision counter to their employer, they have to pay the price. But that is beside the point of voluntary commerce.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

It would have more fun if there had been a line of people wearing Trump shirts, coming in for the next few hours.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There you go again, trying to focus attention on the "reason" for that employee's decision... Forget about rights - those are secondary to you. Your understanding of liberty is completely situational and this highlights it. Hypocrisy at its finest, Boromir.
    And there you have it, folks. SS Boromir takes a bow.
    You might need to call it a night, Boromir.
    I don't agree with everything he says. But as far as this seemingly permanent Boromir label on @Swordsmyth goes, I think it's worth pointing out that Boromir ultimately gave his life to protect the hobbits. Maybe it's better to have a Boromir fighting alongside than 10 hobbits cowering at home. At this point maybe he should just own it and the rest of you can try to pick out LOTR characters that are more pure, if mostly not as badass.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Everyone here is applying basic principles, there is just a disagreement about the details of how they apply and to whom.
    Right. Some people’s principles are based on which team is involved. Those people will find any loophole to back their team.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I don't agree with everything he says. But as far as this seemingly permanent Boromir label on @Swordsmyth goes, I think it's worth pointing out that Boromir ultimately gave his life to protect the hobbits. Maybe it's better to have a Boromir fighting alongside than 10 hobbits cowering at home. At this point maybe he should just own it and the rest of you can try to pick out LOTR characters that are more pure, if mostly not as badass.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Right. Some people’s principles are based on which team is involved. Those people will find any loophole to back their team.
    Your insistence on that explanation seems to reveal more about you than me, I already said I would take the same position if the politics were reversed and that Kim Davis should have followed the law or resigned.

Just how are my principles based on which team is involved?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Again. Starbucks, Denny’s, the vape shop, and Kim Davis were all employees who made decisions counter to their bosses. The employee paid the price he should have. Still does not mean they have to serve anyone who comes in the door. Only that if they make a decision counter to their employer, they have to pay the price. But that is beside the point of voluntary commerce.
    The clerk was the one who brought up government force. I am not aware of Starbucks and Denny's situations. Kim Davis was different since she was an elected official, she worked for the people of her county in Kentucky and swore to uphold the Kentucky Constitution.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

The owner never delegated the employee the kind of absolute right that you imagine him to have and I would say that no matter which political side the employee was on.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The clerk was the one who brought up government force. I am not aware of Starbucks and Denny's situations. Kim Davis was different since she was an elected official, she worked for the people of her county in Kentucky and swore to uphold the Kentucky Constitution.
    That is the important question, what was the actual law in her case? If she believed the law to be that she must not do it then she was justified but if she believed that she had a personal right to not follow the law then she was wrong, she only had that right if she resigned.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    What in the world is that clerk so upset about?
    Not sure what exactly set him off in this time, but Influenza flies off the handle pretty easily on a lot of threads.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast