Thread: (VIDEO added) "Ron Paul says GOP deserves convention rule controversy"

(VIDEO added) "Ron Paul says GOP deserves convention rule controversy"

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjicKdBWhdY

--

New York (CNN)Former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul said Friday that the party outsmarted itself in passing a 2012 rule that he said was aimed at blunting his influence on that summer's convention.

The GOP's "Rule 40(b)" requires candidates win the "support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight or more states" in order to have their named placed on the nominating ballot. The raised threshold -- it had previously been a plurality from five states -- helped to prevent Paul's supporters from upstaging or distracting from the presumptive nominee, Mitt Romney, on national television.

"They did not want my name to come up and so they changed the rules because we had the votes," Paul told CNN "At This Hour" anchors Kate Bolduan and John Berman. "We had the numbers to allow my name to be put into nomination, but they wouldn't do it."

Four years later, the same establishment figures who spearheaded the 2012 rules changes are facing a different kind of challenge: Donald Trump. But this time around, the requirement threatens to undermine a late effort to derail the billionaire front-runner.

"I think it's a bit of an irony and they deserve the problem," Paul said. "They're terrified of competition, and now the establishment has competition that really looks strong and there's a lot of people behind Trump. So this is a big problem for them."

The issue could come to the fore if Trump fails to win the 1,237 delegates required to clinch the nomination before the July convention in Cleveland. But with Ted Cruz and John Kasich at risk of not meeting the eight-state majority minimum, the first fight of the 2016 convention could turn on a decision whether to scale back or remove the rule.

Former Arkansas GOP rules chairman Tom Lundstrum sat on the committee four years ago and opposed the changes. He is running to be a state delegate for Cruz in 2016.

"I don't spend a lot of my time trying to finagle outcomes and screw people," he told CNN. "But there are apparently a lot of people out there who do. In 2012, the Romney campaign had a Washington attorney down there trying to make all sorts of changes that were not necessary. And several of them were quite offensive to what I'd call the grassroots electorate. ... They were trying to blunt any gains made by Ron Paul. It was ridiculous."

Paul said he took no pleasure in the GOP's current conundrum, but did suggest their eventual nominee could face a third-party general election challenge.

"It will probably go to the floor, but I think Trump is going to win and I wouldn't be surprised, if that happens, that you're going to see another individual running, a third-party candidate," he said. "Somebody that's going to be supported by the establishment-type Republicans and those who can't control Trump."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/politi...ion/index.html

I actually read another interview with the establishment attorney who got this rule passed where he said it was just a 'rule of the current convention' so it wouldn't apply to the 2016 convention anyhow. I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by jct74; 03-19-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Ron Paul says GOP deserves the (Trump convention controversy) problem

I'm sure he is human and someday I'll catch him being wrong on something but missed again as RP is right again.

Ron Paul says GOP deserves convention rule controversy

By Gregory Krieg, CNN
    Updated 8:08 PM ET, Fri March 18, 2016

Story highlights

• Ron Paul said Friday that the party outsmarted itself in passing a 2012 rule that he said was aimed at blunting his influence on that summer's convention
    • The GOP's "Rule 40(b)" requires candidates win the "support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight or more states" in order to have their named placed on the nominating ballot

New York (CNN)Former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul said Friday that the party outsmarted itself in passing a 2012 rule that he said was aimed at blunting his influence on that summer's convention.

The GOP's "Rule 40(b)" requires candidates win the "support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight or more states" in order to have their named placed on the nominating ballot. The raised threshold -- it had previously been a plurality from five states -- helped to prevent Paul's supporters from upstaging or distracting from the presumptive nominee, Mitt Romney, on national television.
    "They did not want my name to come up and so they changed the rules because we had the votes," Paul told CNN "At This Hour" anchors Kate Bolduan and John Berman. "We had the numbers to allow my name to be put into nomination, but they wouldn't do it."
    Four years later, the same establishment figures who spearheaded the 2012 rules changes are facing a different kind of challenge: Donald Trump. But this time around, the requirement threatens to undermine a late effort to derail the billionaire front-runner.
    "I think it's a bit of an irony and they deserve the problem," Paul said. "They're terrified of competition, and now the establishment has competition that really looks strong and there's a lot of people behind Trump. So this is a big problem for them."
    The issue could come to the fore if Trump fails to win the 1,237 delegates required to clinch the nomination before the July convention in Cleveland. But with Ted Cruz and John Kasich at risk of not meeting the eight-state majority minimum, the first fight of the 2016 convention could turn on a decision whether to scale back or remove the rule.

Related

Why Ron Paul Scares the GOP
    Thursday, Mar. 20, 2008
    http://content.time.com/time/politic...724358,00.html

The Republican party is running scared from Donald Trump
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-donald-trump/

Thursday, 30 August 2012
    Republican Convention Rules Changes: How the Establishment Stole the GOP

On August 28 the Republican National Committee (RNC) allowed representatives of the Mitt Romney campaign to seize control of the Republican Party. As The New American has reported, Ron Paul delegates from Maine were improperly denied credentials, robbing Paul of a majority of that state’s delegation. One disgusted Maine delegate described this decision as a “huge slap in the face.”
    That slap hit more than just Maine. Maine’s Ron Paul delegates were roughly shoved out of the Republican Party’s quadrennial convention, and as a result of events surrounding the proposal and adoption of new rules to govern the presidential nomination process, every potential Republican presidential candidate with a message that doesn’t parrot the party line has been effectively ostracized. Forever.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...-stole-the-gop

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post

I actually read another interview with the establishment attorney who got this rule passed where he said it was just a 'rule of the current convention' so it wouldn't apply to the 2016 convention anyhow. I guess we'll see.
    Depends if its re-adopted by the rules committee.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Holy crap! Hi sailing!
    "The Patriarch"

On subject, the slimey gop deserves whatever they get.
    "The Patriarch"

He's exactly right. We had the GOP in our clutches, in order for them to change the rules to kick Ron in the ass. F'k those bastards... Let's take them out now, while the taking out is good !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Let's take them out now, while the taking out is good !!
    They are doing it all by themselves.

get some popcorn.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Woot! Welcome back sailing! I'm gonna get around to reading the article once I get over my shock.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

end of 3 year hiatus?

welcome home

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Ruh Roh. Statesman's train's rollin again, boys. Heh. I'm glad to see sailingaway back. Welcome back.

But, yeah. They deserve exactly the problem they've created for themselves. What comes around goes around. Every single time. Hopefully hard headed friends may learn from the experience as well so that we may better assess our logic moving forward to future endeavors.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-18-2016 at 10:17 PM.

The GOP deserves anything negative that ends up happening to them, either at the hands of Trump or someone else. They helped create this monster, now they will have to deal with it.

They could just overturn the rule in the same fashion they adopted it.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Yeah. They could. They'd also expose their own screwery for what it is by demonstration if they do. And during a time when all eyes are on them. Might be able to take advantage of it if they do and turn it into something on our end. Depends on who's doing the thinking, though. Know what I mean? More chiefs than injuns wasn't very fruitful last time around.

Sailing!

Great to see you!

Stick around for a while, lots has happened.

OMG!! Look who's back!

"I don't spend a lot of my time trying to finagle outcomes and screw people," he told CNN. "But there are apparently a lot of people out there who do. In 2012, the Romney campaign had a Washington attorney down there trying to make all sorts of changes that were not necessary. And several of them were quite offensive to what I'd call the grassroots electorate. ... They were trying to blunt any gains made by Ron Paul. It was ridiculous."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An establishment 3rd party type will split the Hillary vote.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    Yeah. They could. They'd also expose their own screwery for what it is by demonstration if they do. And during a time when all eyes are on them. Might be able to take advantage of it if they do and turn it into something on our end. Depends on who's doing the thinking, though. Know what I mean? More chiefs than injuns wasn't very fruitful last time around.
    It's really interesting to watch. They made the rule to keep a minority (Ron Paul supporters) from being too much of an annoyance. That made for a few videos of booing and we all got pissed off about it, but honestly, most Republican voters didn't even know that happened. If they change the rules to deny Trump and his majority of Republican primary voters, many more will find out about it. It could really damage the party. I think Trump will get enough delegates though so it won't be an issue.

I'm dreaming of a day in the near future where someone writes an article telling Kurt Shlichter and others that gave us Paulbots so much hell, "It's time to support the constitution and vote for Trump". I enjoy watching these $#@!s get a taste of their own medicine.

Welcome back sailing!

Here's a tube of the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjicKdBWhdY

Of course they deserve the controversy. Too bad the media is about 4 years late with the story.

Welcome back Sailing!

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Yes, but when they adopted it they did so to silence a minority, and there as not much outcry. To overturn it they will be doing it to overthrow a majority, and the outcry will be deafening.

My grandpa mixed metaphors, in his vernacular;

You buttered your bread now lie in it........

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Blowback is a pain, isn't it GOP? Unfortunately, they never learn and now they get to deal with the real probability that Trump will go head-to-head with the Democrat nominee (I'm not ruling out Bernie for that one yet) and wind up embarrassing the lot of them, making the Republican party seem as outdated, bombastic, and prejudiced as people seem to think it is. The GOP has been vying for an image change for the longest time, but Trump is going to put them several steps back, and, quite frankly, I think they deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Sailing!

Great to see you!
    I couldn't have said it better!

Welcome back SA! Hope you're doing well.

Was looking at posts on the front page and bam, there was sailingaway. Nice to see you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

The impromptu "hi Sailing!" thread drift! Noice! -and I don't use that noice flippantly. My liberty spirit sure needed that pick me up! (I know, I know, gimme gimme gimme!)

...and thanks Ron!
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE