Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Conservatives Fell for Milo Yiannopoulos

Why Conservatives Fell for Milo Yiannopoulos

Matt Lewis
    MATT LEWIS

02.20.17 7:55 PM ET

The Breitbart provocateur’s invitation to speak at CPAC—since rescinded, along with his book deal—tells you all you need to know about the state of American conservatism.

BIGGEST TENT
    Why Conservatives Fell for Milo Yiannopoulos
    The Breitbart provocateur’s invitation to speak at CPAC—since rescinded, along with his book deal—tells you all you need to know about the state of American conservatism.
    Matt Lewis
    MATT LEWIS

02.20.17 7:55 PM ET

A few years ago, conservative icon Phyllis Schlafly sat alone at a booth at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) exhibition area.
    Hundreds and probably thousands of people―most of them young―stampeded past her, not giving her so much as a glance or even recognizing her.

How could they overlook the woman who helped propel Barry Goldwater’s presidential nomination with her best-selling self-published book A Choice Not an Echo, and who a decade later almost single-handedly stopped the seemingly inevitable Equal Rights Amendment?

The parade had passed her by because even a conservative parade craves novelty. What headline have you made lately? Even a CPAC―maybe especially a CPAC (or, at least, the people who run it)―craves novelty and momentary celebrity over real quality or achievement.

Which is why Breitbart’s Milo Yiannopoulos was invited to speak at the 2017 CPAC. Invited, that is, until he wasn’t.

CPAC is, by far, the largest gathering of conservatives every year. Thousands of young conservatives will flock to National Harbor in Maryland this week to hear speeches from conservative luminaries. What started as a small meeting of conservatives four decades ago (where Ronald Reagan was among the first to accept a speaking invitation) has turned into a huge annual spectacle.

Over the years, however, Reagan gave way to Ann Coulter (and a kid named Jonathan Krohn... and Sarah Palin with a Big Gulp...). Coulter gave way to Donald Trump. And then, for a few moments this week... Yiannopoulos.

Yiannopoulos is depraved and decadent. Ultimately, he was done in by videos that surfaced with him proudly praising sex between boys and older men, as well as him speaking highly of a priest who allegedly had sex with him when he was underage: “I wouldn’t give nearly such good head if it wasn’t for him,” he jokes. In an interview with podcaster Joe Rogan, Yiannopoulos rationalized the sexual encounter, saying: “It was perfectly consensual. When I was the [sic] 14, I was the predator.”

(It’s worth noting that he denies that he supports pedophilia. But he defines pedophilia as an “ attraction to children who have not reached puberty.” In other words, “Pedophilia is not a sexual attraction to somebody 13 years old, who is sexually mature.”

Yiannopoulos told The Daily Beast that he regrets his comments. But he regrets them only because he finally went too far. He has repeated them on multiple occasions—with reckless abandon.

After defending the decision to invite Yiannopoulos, Matt Schlapp, who runs the American Conservative Union, which sponsors CPAC, cited the “revelation of an offensive video... condoning pedophilia,” as the reason for rescinding his invitation. It’s good that CPAC finally did the right thing, but really, there is no excuse for inviting him to speak in the first place. (The same goes for Simon & Schuster, which canceled a book deal for Yiannopoulos on Monday, after paying a $250,000 advance.)

Among his greatest hits, he has bragged about liking “black dick,” wearing an iron-cross necklace (which isn’t necessarily tied to Nazism, but certainly evokes the imagery), and writing an essay ostensibly meant to explain the “alt-right”; however, the piece actually seemed to normalize it by framing it in the best manner possible. Also inexcusable: He refers to Trump as “Daddy.”

But this isn’t just about Yiannopoulos. The invitation to speak at CPAC tells you all you need to know about the state of American conservatism and why it was so easily co-opted by Trumpism. So why was he invited in the first place?

Yiannopoulos, like Trump, is a paradox. On one hand, he brings a certain cosmopolitan flair to a group of people accustomed to being thought of as unsophisticated; on the other hand, he reinforces every negative stereotype imaginable. I was among those who criticized CPAC’s decision to baptize Trump by inviting him to speak at its 2013 meeting.

Now, that seems quaint. Once arguably too wonky and prudish, today’s conservatism, judging by CPAC’s invited speakers, is increasingly crude, vulgar, and lowbrow.

continued..http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...source=twitter
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What a dumb article.. they didn't mention ONE $#@!ing single reason why Milo has a lot of conservative fans.. and there are MANY good reasons why he does.

And this part is fake news:

Yiannopoulos told The Daily Beast that he regrets his comments. But he regrets them only because he finally went too far. He has repeated them on multiple occasions—with reckless abandon.
    He did say he went too far with some of his jokes, but he also brought some context to some of his other statements and does not condone adults sleeping with 13 year olds..
    Last edited by dannno; 02-21-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Normally, I would dismiss anything from the dailybeast without even looking at it, but this time I decided to give it a chance. I read the whole thing and all I can say is bravo. They hit the nail on the head. American conservatives today focus more on fashion instead of function. You ask the typical Milo cuckboy what is conservative about him? and they would likely say one of three things. One that he supports Trump, two that he opposes censorship/ support free speech and three that he pisses liberals off by being political incorrect.

First of all, supporting Trump don't make you conservative. It just make you a Rockafella democrat who is politically incorrect.

Secondly,censorship is in of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. To me, censorship is like discrimination for speech you do not want to hear. And when done by private people, it is not good or bad.

Lastly, pissing liberals off while being politically incorrect don't make one conservative. If that was true, gonorrhea and other STD would be considered conservatives and we should be inviting them to conferences.

At the end of the day, we should all celebrate that this oral diarrhea of a man did himself in(hopefully). Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    Last edited by juleswin; 02-21-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Normally, I would dismiss anything from the dailybeast without even looking at it, but this time I decided to give it a chance. I read the whole thing and all I can say is bravo. They hit the nail on the head. American conservatives today focus more on fashion instead of function. You ask the typical Milo cuckboy what is conservative about him? and they would likely say on of three things that he supports Trump, he opposes censorship/ support free speech and he pisses liberals off by being political incorrect.

First of all, supporting Trump don't make you conservative. It just make you a Rockafella democrat who is politically incorrect.

Secondly,censorship is in of itself is not necessarily a good thing. I think censorship is like discrimination for speech you do not want to hear. And when done by private people, it is not good or bad.

Lastly, pissing liberals off while being politically incorrect don't make one conservative. If that was true, gonorrhea and other STD would be considered conservatives and we should be inviting them to conferences.

At the end of the day, we should all celebrate that this oral diarrhea of a man did himself in(hopefully). Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    What a bunch of horse$#@!, you've obviously never listened to a speech by Milo. You are literally just regurgitating bull$#@! you have read without even listening to the guy, what he says or promotes.

He promotes all sorts of conservative values, even though he doesn't live them all himself. In particular, he promotes Christian, family values to women who are entrapped in feminist lies. He tells men to be men, if they are so inclined, and not to be trapped by leftist indoctrination that masculinity is toxic.

He embodies the attitudes that at least 90% of the people here have on a lot of these gender/leftist/feminist threads where they are tearing down some celebrity for some stupid comment or something that isn't PC... or a Halloween costume, etc..

Milo was the best things to happen to the conservative movement for young people since Ron Paul.

People who are cheering on his downfall are either not conservative, or have been deceived.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-21-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What a dumb article.. they didn't mention ONE $#@!ing single reason why Milo has a lot of conservative fans.. and there are MANY good reasons why he does.

And this part is fake news:

He did say he went too far with some of his jokes, but he also brought some context to some of his other statements and does not condone adults sleeping with 13 year olds..
    Reposting a previous post, so people can hear the words from Milo himself:

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    The videos that contain the remarks Milo made. Didn't feel like searching for videos without editorializing in the titles; I'll editorialize myself a bit and say Milo is describing pederasty rather than pedophilia:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Milo, apparently not being a "conservative"

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Reposting a previous post, so people can hear the words from Milo himself:
    lol...you can do a lot by editing together clips of people on youtube.. it takes away context. I could post a video that Alex Jones believes in inter-dimensional beings, but it isn't true, he doesn't believe that--but I could "prove" it with a youtube video.

I don't have a huge issue with people viewing those, except that it is missing some context, and this was his response after viewing the clips without the associated context:

Milo Yiannopoulos

Yesterday at 10:26am ·

I am a gay man, and a child abuse victim.

I would like to restate my utter disgust at adults who sexually abuse minors. I am horrified by pedophilia and I have devoted large portions of my career as a journalist to exposing child abusers. I've outed three of them, in fact -- three more than most of my critics. And I've repeatedly expressed disgust at pedophilia in my feature and opinion writing. My professional record is very clear.

But I do understand that these videos, even though some of them are edited deceptively, paint a different picture.

I'm partly to blame. My own experiences as a victim led me to believe I could say anything I wanted to on this subject, no matter how outrageous. But I understand that my usual blend of British sarcasm, provocation and gallows humor might have come across as flippancy, a lack of care for other victims or, worse, "advocacy." I deeply regret that. People deal with things from their past in different ways.

As to some of the specific claims being made, sometimes things tumble out of your mouth on these long, late-night live-streams, when everyone is spit-balling, that are incompletely expressed or not what you intended. Nonetheless, I've reviewed the tapes that appeared last night in their proper full context and I don't believe they say what is being reported.

I do not advocate for illegal behavior. I explicitly say on the tapes that I think the current age of consent is "about right."

I do not believe sex with 13-year-olds is okay. When I mentioned the number 13, I was talking about the age I lost my own virginity.

I shouldn't have used the word "boy" -- which gay men often do to describe young men of consenting age -- instead of "young man." That was an error.
    I am certainly guilty of imprecise language, which I regret.

Anyone who suggests I turn a blind eye to illegal activity or to the abuse of minors is unequivocally wrong. I am implacably opposed to the normalization of pedophilia and I will continue to report and speak accordingly.

In particular, he promotes Christian, family values
    If this wasn't coming from dannno, I might have taken the time to point out the obvious.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Milo, apparently not being a "conservative"

Is he saying that our taxes should be cut just so we can give more to charity? I thought the argument for tax cuts is because it is our own money and we should keep more of it. Also i think the reason why people in the US give a lot to charity is because they can write them off during tax season. If you really want to know who charitable American's are, then take away that tax write off.

I have many conflicting feelings about it. It boils down to thinking that Milo has always just been a troll.

This pedophilia scandal is just part of his gay persona. I'm sure plenty of people would be offended of his talk about sucking black dicks and supporting circumcision for that reason. He's a ***** that says outrageous things. He was the conservatives token ***** who supported christianity and opposed gay marriage while supporting degeneracy with a british accent.

And he is a zionist. That's perfect for conservative. He has supported every US war in the middle east.

Edit: oh jeez. they censor the word q u e e r here? He's a f a g g o t.

Is he saying that our taxes should be cut just so we can give more to charity? I thought the argument for tax cuts is because it is our own money and we should keep more of it. Also i think the reason why people in the US give a lot to charity is because they can write them off during tax season. If you really want to know who charitable American's are, then take away that tax write off.
    You are a confused dude.. It's a short clip.. Watch it again, but relax your butthole and stop getting distracted trying to make counter arguments while you watch it and instead just listen for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    If this wasn't coming from dannno, I might have taken the time to point out the obvious.
    Ya see you don't have a clue what Milo promotes either. He doesn't live it, because he is gay. His job is to tell "normal" people who are being suckered into all this leftist nonsense to stop bending to every whim of the weirdos out there like him.

I'm completely against the loony left pogrom against this guy, but I wholeheartedly reject him as a spokesman for my values.
    "The Patriarch"

Ya see you don't have a clue what Milo promotes either. He doesn't live it, because he is gay. His job is to tell "normal" people who are being suckered into all this leftist nonsense to stop bending to every whim of the weirdos out there like him.
    I don't need his help. Is that clear enough for you?
    "The Patriarch"

That's bull$#@! man. Even people like Ron Paul and a hell of a lot of people here will defer to church charities to replace welfare. And I agree with them. People like Bernie Sanders scoff at charity. Don't be a commie.

I don't need his help. Is that clear enough for you?
    Nobody gives a $#@! if you need his help, that isn't the point, you aren't the target audience, stop making this about you..

You just posted a $#@!ing image in the best picture thread of all time that completely 100% embodies the main message Milo tries to get across in his speeches to young people, and you make posts that embody that spirit all the time. But guess what? He is doing a million times better job spreading that message than you are sitting on this messageboard, which is fine, you are one of my favorite posters here, but talking $#@! on Milo who is actually out there spreading and teaching that message doesn't make a god damn bit of sense. You should be grateful he is out there being so effective.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    That's bull$#@! man. Even people like Ron Paul and a hell of a lot of people here will defer to church charities to replace welfare. And I agree with them. People like Bernie Sanders scoff at charity. Don't be a commie.
    People who place their trust in government don't like competition from charities.
    "The Patriarch"

Nobody gives a $#@! if you need his help, that isn't the point, you aren't the target audience, stop making this about you..

You just posted a $#@!ing image in the best picture thread of all time that completely 100% embodies the main message Milo tries to get across in his speeches to young people, and you make posts that embody that spirit all the time. But guess what? He is doing a million times better job spreading that message than you are sitting on this messageboard, which is fine, you are one of my favorite posters here, but talking $#@! on Milo who is actually out there spreading and teaching that message doesn't make a god damn bit of sense. You should be grateful he is out there being so effective.
    No. No. No. He's a $#@!ing celebrity that says some $#@! to get himself exposure. He doesn't represent anyone but him. It's a shame so many people are too idiotic to understand this. hell dannno, you aren't conservative either, don't try to tell those who are what to think.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    That is no bull, I have heard Ron Paul use the right rational 1m x before. You don't cut taxes because you want people to give more money to charity, you cut taxes because you want to give people back the fruits of their labour. I agree with Ron Paul too, the argument is to return money back to their owners and not to coax them into donating to church.

You are a confused dude.. It's a short clip.. Watch it again, but relax your butthole and stop getting distracted trying to make counter arguments while you watch it and instead just listen for a change.
    Can't help myself. I think the man is a fraud, even if I caught he spouting something conservative other than fluff inconsequential topics like family value, feminism etc, I will consider it a fluke.

No. No. No. He's a $#@!ing celebrity that says some $#@! to get himself exposure. He doesn't represent anyone but him. It's a shame so many people are too idiotic to understand this. hell dannno, you aren't conservative either, don't try to tell those who are what to think.
    That is complete rubbish, and I'm calling you out because you haven't watched Milo's speeches, you haven't watched Milo's speeches because you don't like his act - I get it - great - but don't tell other people what Milo represents when you don't even know.

What exactly was he doing in the youtube clip I posted? I've watched hours of his speeches, and in between all the jokes about $#@!ing black guys he preaches conservative values to people who REALLY need it. He has converted a lot of people on the left to conservatism, and he has emboldened a LOT of young conservatives.

You need to get off this fake news bandwagon.. if he's not your thing, that's fine, again you aren't the target audience. "Real" conservatives who live off in the country are not his target audience.. his target audience is leftists and conservatives who live in leftist environments like college campuses. And he helps THOSE people think like conservatives using reason and evidence, he turns them around and pushes them in the other direction. Again, you should be GRATEFUL for what this guy does.

I'm not grateful in the slightest. I have 5 grandsons and I hope to hell they never look up to this fraud like you do.
    "The Patriarch"

That is no bull, I have heard Ron Paul use the right rational 1m x before. You don't cut taxes because you want people to give more money to charity, you cut taxes because you want to give people back the fruits of their labour. I agree with Ron Paul too, the argument is to return money back to their owners and not to coax them into donating to church.
    Milo wasn't telling people what they have to do when they get their tax money back, I don't know why you keep saying this. What he said, was that Scrooge was not happy because he didn't care about other people. Scrooge became happy when he started helping other people. If people get their tax money back then that gives them the OPPORTUNITY to help other people and be more happy. If you agree helping other people makes people happy, great, if you don't, then go be a hermit, that's fine, either way he was promoting significantly lower tax rates.

The other message he promoted in the video was that making a lot of money is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I don't know why you are trying to twist it around just to try and make Milo seem off-point. People need to hear this $#@!, and if they aren't visiting Ron Paul Forums or some other good conservative outlet, then they aren't hearing it.. so thank $#@!ing God for Milo.

I'm not grateful in the slightest. I have 5 grandsons and I hope to hell they never look up to this fraud like you do.
    Then don't send them to a liberal arts school.. if you do, and they come back leftist, you will wish they would have heard Milo speak instead, trust me.

Again, you are missing this whole "target audience" point that I've made like 6 times now.

I live in a relatively small city that is very progressive and has two large colleges. Milo is exactly what people here need to hear. You should be grateful he came and spread his message of conservative values here, so that here doesn't become where YOU live... And you should also stop assuming that he doesn't preach conservative values, because he does so extremely effectively. You are speaking on something that you are totally misinformed about.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-22-2017 at 12:43 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Then don't send them to a liberal arts school.. if you do, and they come back leftist, you will wish they would have heard Milo speak instead, trust me.

Again, you are missing this whole "target audience" point that I've made like 6 times now.
    Ummmm, no. I have no worries at all about my progeny. There was one who was a bit light on his feet and the butt of a few jokes but nobody encouraged him to start wearing dresses and he turned out just fine. My point was and is that Milo is a piss poor spokesman for people sick of the PC bull$#@!.
    "The Patriarch"

Ummmm, no. I have no worries at all about my progeny. There was one who was a bit light on his feet and the butt of a few jokes but nobody encouraged him to start wearing dresses and he turned out just fine. My point was and is that Milo is a piss poor spokesman for people sick of the PC bull$#@!.
    He's actually the ONLY person who is currently an effective spokesperson for people sick of the PC bull$#@!.. Trump was a spokesperson for people who already "got it", and he let the flood gates open for people like Milo to be more open about it, but he actually just made the left even more divided.. Now, Milo admittedly is divisive as well, but the way he presents his message is perfect for getting into the University atmosphere, which is the primary source of the PC bull$#@! you hate so much!

The day before Milo came to speak here, the University ran an article about how the conservatives who brought them there (it was actually YAL who brought him here), put up a giant banner in one of the most traveled areas on campus that said "Feminism is Cancer". Well guess what? The article was about how dozens of people including a bunch of the YAL folks were gathered around having relatively peaceful, productive discussions on the topic.. I have seen so much clear, conclusive evidence that you are wrong, and that Milo is not some bull$#@! artist and is actually helping further some important parts of our message in the MOST difficult to reach places!
    Last edited by dannno; 02-22-2017 at 01:00 AM.

He's actually the ONLY person who is currently an effective spokesperson for people sick of the PC bull$#@!.. Trump was a spokesperson for people who already "got it", and he let the flood gates open for people like Milo to be more open about it, but he actually just made the left even more divided.. Now, Milo admittedly is divisive as well, but the way he presents his message is perfect for getting into the University atmosphere, which is the primary source of the PC bull$#@! you hate so much!!

The day before Milo came to speak here, the University ran an article about how the conservatives who brought them there (it was actually YAL who brought him here), put up a giant banner in one of the most traveled areas on campus that said "Feminism is Cancer". Well guess what? The article was about how dozens of people including a bunch of the YAL folks were gathered around having relatively peaceful, productive discussions on the topic.. I have seen so much clear, conclusive evidence that you are wrong, and that Milo is not some bull$#@! artist and is actually helping further some important parts of our message in the MOST difficult to reach places!!
    Sorry dannno, not buying it. I literally don't give a $#@! what that guy has to say. In my family we have role models that don't talk about sucking black or white dick.
    "The Patriarch"

Sorry dannno, not buying it. I literally don't give a $#@! what that guy has to say. In my family we have role models that don't talk about sucking black or white dick.
    When did I ever say he was a role model? I don't want to be Milo, I certainly don't want to be gay, I just want people to $#@!ing understand why leftism sucks.

Milo definitely doesn't want to be a role model, he wants to talk to people in a dysfunctional society about important subjects. A conservative going in there with a suit and tie is simply not effective.

You are complaining about a solution to a problem you literally have no solution to but that you want to fix. It makes no sense.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-22-2017 at 01:09 AM.

He's actually the ONLY person who is currently an effective spokesperson for people sick of the PC bull$#@!
    That is a total crock of $#@! and if it was true then game over anyway. You're all $#@!ed up positing this guy as a spokesman for traditional values.
    "The Patriarch"

When did I ever say he was a role model? I don't want to be Milo, I certainly don't want to be gay, I just want people to $#@!ing understand why leftism sucks.

Milo definitely doesn't want to be a role model, he wants to talk to people in a dysfunctional society about important subjects. A conservative going in there with a suit and tie is simply not effective.

You are complaining about a solution to a problem you literally have no solution to but that you want to fix. It makes no sense.
    And you're offering up a person who has no core values as a spokesman.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast