Thread: Energy drinks, supplements and kidney failure

Energy drinks, supplements and kidney failure

Here's an interesting situation. An elderly relative decided that they needed more energy, so they started to drink 5-Hour energy and other energy drinks. They also started taking some "osteo" supplements. Needless to say, at that advanced age, with kidneys that are not what they used to be, this induced renal failure.

The doctor said that the supplements must stop immediately. So, the elderly person asks, "why didn't anyone say this would happen? Why isn't there a warning?" Of course there is the small print, generic "consult your physician before starting this supplement", which no one reads.

They market a lot of these things to the elderly, who may have weak kidneys and liver problems. Elderly tend to believe commercials, and studies have shown that judgement is impaired as people get older.

So what is the "libertarian solution" to snake oil peddlers who target the elderly? Buyer beware?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Morning coffee bump.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

When enough people are dropping dead from snake oil it will set into the human sub-conscious enough to stop taking the snake oil. The problem is we're not allowed to do that right now due to regulations and FDA nonsense, so there is no valid data to either support the snake oil or destroy the snake oil, so it gets left in this 'Well, does it or does't it, work?' sorta situation. All we are left with is the FDA 'Approved' snake oil that I'm sure is worse for you then even some of the worst non-FDA 'Approved' snake oils.

Basically the free market will separate the good from the bad in the most efficient way possible. Are some people going to die? Of course. But it is the most incorruptible system there is and the science has to stand on merit instead of FDA 'Approved' corruption.

What I find funny is that people almost seem to expect a 0 casualty system in which nobody dies and there is a non life threatening alternative to whatever caused the death of the individual. People should know better through education not to drink high energy drinks but our market and FDA 'Approved' science has become so bastardized to the point that even most scientists creating this crap do not understanding basic chemistry and how it couldn't possibly good to eat or drink half of the $#@! people do now days. Either that or they are totally riding the FDA 'Approved' thing in order to profit, which is exactly my point.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    So what is the "libertarian solution" to snake oil peddlers who target the elderly? Buyer beware?
    The is no solution. Even with the largest government to ever exist in North America, there is no solution. You as a person could solve the problem if you want to do so. You could remove the checkbook, purse or credit cards. You could defund. You could unplug the TV. You could take the keys.

The government cannot and will not do a thing to help.

I'm sorry for your family issues. I am sorry for your trouble. However, looking to the government won't help. The government isn't around to help people. Government workers want to get paid and that is mostly what they care about. It is a major focus of their lives.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 05-14-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    When enough people are dropping dead from snake oil it will set into the human sub-conscious enough to stop taking the snake oil. The problem is we're not allowed to do that right now due to regulations and FDA nonsense, so there is no valid data to either support the snake oil or destroy the snake oil, so it gets left in this 'Well, does it or does't it, work?' sorta situation. All we are left with is the FDA 'Approved' snake oil that I'm sure is worse for you then even some of the worst non-FDA 'Approved' snake oils.

Basically the free market will separate the good from the bad in the most efficient way possible. Are some people going to die? Of course. But it is the most incorruptible system there is and the science has to stand on merit instead of FDA 'Approved' corruption.

What I find funny is that people almost seem to expect a 0 casualty system in which nobody dies and there is a non life threatening alternative to whatever caused the death of the individual. People should know better through education not to drink high energy drinks but our market and FDA 'Approved' science has become so bastardized to the point that even most scientists creating this crap do not understanding basic chemistry and how it couldn't possibly good to eat or drink half of the $#@! people do now days. Either that or they are totally riding the FDA 'Approved' thing in order to profit, which is exactly my point.
    Well said. +rep
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

My husband drinks energy drinks way too much. I've begged him to stop. He won't. So I just buy more life insurance.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Coffee.....................................The hillbilly energy drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    The is no solution. Even with the largest government to ever exist in North America, there is no solution. You as a person could very easily solve the problem if you want to do so. You could remove the checkbook, purse or credit cards. You could defund. You could unplug the TV. You could take the keys.

The government cannot and will not do a thing to help.
    Of course. Government is no solution.

Speaking of checkbooks, heard a story through the grapevine the other day that someone's father had died, leaving an elderly mom by herself. She became addicted to home-shopping, spent a small fortune, then mortgaged away the house. Grandma lives in the spare room now. The elderly sometimes become like children, except they have money to spend and can sign contracts.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Of course. Government is no solution.

Speaking of checkbooks, heard a story through the grapevine the other day that someone's father had died, leaving an elderly mom by herself. She became addicted to home-shopping, spent a small fortune, then mortgaged away the house. Grandma lives in the spare room now. The elderly sometimes become like children, except they have money to spend and can sign contracts.
    Do you know if it was the energy drinks or the supplements that caused it? Seems unclear to me from OP.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Coffee.....................................The hillbilly energy drink.
    Yep. Far preferable to "energy drinks", which have more things than caffeine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by schiffheadbaby View Post
    Do you know if it was the energy drinks or the supplements that caused it? Seems unclear to me from OP.
    Doctor says both. They have ingredients that overtax the kidneys, and will interact with other medications. Not a problem for a younger person with healthy kidneys. The other problem is that the energy drinks often have salts (electrolytes). It increases water retention, which is also bad for the elderly with weak kidneys because they swell up like balloons.

Kidneys are like a filter. When you are young and healthy, they have a ton of excess capacity. They become less efficient in the elderly, and can be overloaded by medications and "supplements".

Where's AF? "But Brawndo's got electrolytes!"

One ingredient in Energy Drinks:

After taurine treatment, the plasma levels in patients 1 and 3 had increased by 5513% and 1780%, respectively, and the muscle intracellular concentrations by 239% and 351%, respectively, i.e. far above the normal ranges. The accumulation of taurine was presumably due to lack of renal excretion, which in normal persons accounts for the excretion of excess taurine. The removal by haemodialysis [kidneys] was apparently insufficiently effective to control the body content of taurine.
    With this report we want to call attention to the risk of taurine administration to patients with renal failure and specially warn against the use of energy drinks such as Red Bull® and +Battery®, of which three cans of 33 ml/day provide 4 g of taurine (i.e. half the dose that caused excessive accumulation of taurine and neurological symptoms in our patients). Although the symptoms were relatively mild and rapidly disappeared after stopping the taurine intake, long‐term risks of excessive taurine accumulation cannot be ruled out. We strongly suggest that cans or bottles of energy drinks containing taurine should have a label, which warns against their use by patients with kidney failure.

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/3/528.full
    No such warning exists on most energy drinks.

OG coffee

+

French press

Start the day off right granny.

Another ingredient in Energy Drinks:

L-tyrosine is generally considered safe and side effects are uncommon with short-term use of supplements. However, studies on long-term effects are inconclusive. At high doses, symptoms may include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting or nervousness. L-tyrosine is not recommended for young children, pregnant women or if you have a severe health condition such as liver or kidney disease. Because tyrosine may interact with certain medications, always consult your doctor before using l-tyrosine.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...he-l-tyrosine/

Still another ingredient in Energy Drinks, and many diet drinks:

...the supplement phenylalanine. People who have the disease phenylketonuria, or PKU, and other health conditions such as liver failure and kidney illness, should avoid this product.
    Doses of 5,000 mg daily could cause damage to nerves and nerve tissues. You should avoid taking a high dose of this supplement unless under the strict guidance of a physician. If toxicity occurs, your blood pressure may increase, and you may experience problems sleeping, severe headaches and agitation of your central nervous system, Vitamins-Supplements.org indicates. People with PKU and pregnant women should avoid this product. If you are breast-feeding, you need to avoid this supplemental product. If you have a history of melanomas, you should avoid this product. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about using phenylalanine as a supplement.

Medication Interactions

Do not start this supplement without the approval of your physician. Instances of increased tardive dyskinesia have been reported when you take antipsychotic medications along with phenylalanine. Tardive dyskinesia causes symptoms such as involuntary and repetitive movements of parts of the body including the tongue, face and eyes. The absorption of levodopa and baclofen, which treat Parkinson's disease's symptoms and back muscle spasms, may decrease in their treatment effectiveness, the University of Maryland Medical Center reports.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...e-supplements/

Nuclear bomb ingredients, food ingredient, toxic waste, who knows? I can make a person not age a day with formaldehyde.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.