Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentagon fails its first ever audit

Pentagon fails its first ever audit

#notsurprised
    Pentagon fails its first-ever audit, official says

Idrees Ali, Mike Stone

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pentagon-audit/pentagon-fails-its-first-ever-audit-official-says-idUSKCN1NK2MC?fbclid=IwAR2IkwsdtdKasqJm5zzQxA6BpRj 03NRPwaql__oSmRAVaRMMW9HzNwHPmBY

3 Min Read

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon has failed what is being called its first-ever comprehensive audit, a senior official said on Thursday, finding U.S. Defense Department accounting discrepancies that could take years to resolve.

The Pentagon in Washington, U.S., is seen from aboard Air Force One, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas - RC125AF3E6D0

Results of the inspection - conducted by some 1,200 auditors and examining financial accounting on a wide range of spending including on weapons systems, military personnel and property - were expected to be completed later in the day.
    “We failed the audit, but we never expected to pass it,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan told reporters, adding that the findings showed the need for greater discipline in financial matters within the Pentagon.
    “It was an audit on a $2.7 trillion dollar organization, so the fact that we did the audit is substantial,” Shanahan added.

The U.S. defense budget for the 2018 fiscal year that ended on Sept. 30 was about $700 billion. The Pentagon is a huge agency with multiple branches of the military, costly weapons systems, large personnel needs, numerous military bases of various sizes at home and abroad and troops deployed in far-flung locales.

Shanahan said areas the Pentagon must improve upon based on the audit results include compliance with cybersecurity policies and improving inventory accuracy. In a briefing with reporters, he did not provide a figure detailing how much money was unaccounted for in the audit.
    It was unclear what consequences there would be after the audit, but Shanahan said the focus would be on fixing the issues.
    “We need to develop our plans to address the findings and actually put corrective actions in place,” Shanahan said.
    “Some of the compliance issues are irritating to me. ... The point of the audit is to drive better discipline in our compliance with our management systems and procedures,” Shanahan added.

A 1990 federal law mandated that U.S. government agencies be audited, but the Pentagon had not faced a comprehensive audit until this one was launched in December.
    Judge calls FL 'laughingstock' for recount chaos

Defense officials and outside experts have said it may be years before the Pentagon is able to fix its accounting gaps and errors and pass an audit.
    “To clarify, the audit is not a ‘pass-fail’ process. We did not receive an ‘adverse’ finding - the lowest possible category - in any area,” U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Buccino, a Pentagon spokesman, said in an email.

“We did receive findings of ‘disclaimer’ in multiple areas. Clearly more work lies ahead of us,” Buccino added.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon has failed what is being called its first-ever comprehensive audit, a senior official said on Thursday, finding U.S. Defense Department accounting discrepancies that could take years to resolve.

The Pentagon in Washington, U.S., is seen from aboard Air Force One, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas - RC125AF3E6D0

Results of the inspection - conducted by some 1,200 auditors and examining financial accounting on a wide range of spending including on weapons systems, military personnel and property - were expected to be completed later in the day.
    “We failed the audit, but we never expected to pass it,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan told reporters, adding that the findings showed the need for greater discipline in financial matters within the Pentagon.
    “It was an audit on a $2.7 trillion dollar organization, so the fact that we did the audit is substantial,” Shanahan added.
    The U.S. defense budget for the 2018 fiscal year that ended on Sept. 30 was about $700 billion. The Pentagon is a huge agency with multiple branches of the military, costly weapons systems, large personnel needs, numerous military bases of various sizes at home and abroad and troops deployed in far-flung locales.
    Shanahan said areas the Pentagon must improve upon based on the audit results include compliance with cybersecurity policies and improving inventory accuracy. In a briefing with reporters, he did not provide a figure detailing how much money was unaccounted for in the audit.
    It was unclear what consequences there would be after the audit, but Shanahan said the focus would be on fixing the issues.
    “We need to develop our plans to address the findings and actually put corrective actions in place,” Shanahan said.
    “Some of the compliance issues are irritating to me. ... The point of the audit is to drive better discipline in our compliance with our management systems and procedures,” Shanahan added.
    A 1990 federal law mandated that U.S. government agencies be audited, but the Pentagon had not faced a comprehensive audit until this one was launched in December.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Downsize it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Good that there is an audit .
    Do something Danke

finding U.S. Defense Department accounting discrepancies that could take years to resolve.
    Sounds like they need a bigger budget to hire more accountants, to prevent this problem in the future.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Sounds like they need a bigger budget to hire more accountants, to prevent this problem in the future.
    They should just offer @oyarde 10% of any money he finds, he'd have it all cleared up inside a year.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Good that there is an audit .
    It's just a waste of money. They're spending money to figure out where money was spent.

I can tell you right now where it was spent: defense.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They should just offer @oyarde 10% of any money he finds, he'd have it all cleared up inside a year.
    Easy Peasy , be running like a well oiled machine with an efficiency model to be envied worldwide .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    #notsurprised
    #no$#@!
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Downsize it.
    I think that 3 hours is the longest you've ever gone without contradicting yourself. Congratulations!

Having a large military hanging around is bad too............................................... .......................Unless you are in the middle of a defensive war.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Pentagon fails its first ever audit
    Don't worry they'll be plenty of chances to fail more audits.

All this means, obviously, is that the Pentagon just needs more money.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I think that 3 hours is the longest you've ever gone without contradicting yourself. Congratulations!
    We are in the middle of a defensive war?

Tell us about it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't see any reductions, all you people will need to change the way you live. And may be the western world will to in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    I don't see any reductions, all you people will need to change the way you live. And may be the western world will to in general.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

There won't be, if America scales back, then personnel just sit on the border doing little else. "No president" one called out in 2011 when Ron Paul was trying to gain support and answering a question.

There won't be, if America scales back, then personnel just sit on the border doing little else. "No president" one called out in 2011 when Ron Paul was trying to gain support and answering a question.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can deny it, and that is what you are doing. Like stating that are web use doesn't cause pollution, when it does.

You can deny it, and that is what you are doing. Like stating that are web use doesn't cause pollution, when it does.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

My personal military is very lean . Every round is accounted for .
    Do something Danke

Americans to love their myths.

Americans to love their myths.
    Projection.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

@Swordsmyth is factually correct on this one. The third world is a bigger polluter than the industrialized world, even if you believe in whatever climate conspiracy is in vogue today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

As the conspiracy theory goes... the last time trillions of dollars was publicly unaccounted for, a plane flew into the pentagon the next day.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

"you people"?

Get a job you leech.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Republicanguy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Pentagon failed their first audit? Shocking.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

You mean they actually allowed an audit???

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

You can chose to deny facts, as many on here do, but you are the minority. Claim to belief in a higher power, denounce the left wing liberals, as lazy bastards, and bitches who don't want to work, and have no healthcare, and deserve nothing, and morally bankrupt, and so on. And then have a cheek about life, so long as people follow the beliefs you do.

That isn't a sustainable future, any more than the UN universal human rights declaration that everyone can have a family, or more right to procreate. There are limits.

There are limits.
    You have no say in what they are..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Well nobody has a say, but the point being about the UN right on family is, there is a limit to our environment, so a population of many billion has its affect on our home planet, we don't have the Moon or Mars to go to, there is no interest for anyone or a company to go there, other than NASA doing some exploring.

Unless may be in a few centuries time it could be possible to travel somewhere to an Earth size world, that could support human life. That is unlikely, traveling that far that is.

Life is often full of pressure, dominance, and selfishness. So neither individual can exist in a communist society or a libertarian society, it is a mix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast