Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why baby boomers are divorcing at a stunning rate

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Misogynist...
    More likely experienced.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    More likely experienced.
    Me too!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bring back stigma.

Article does actually have the explanation, juleswin: lack of stigma. Pretty accurate. Hit it on the button.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Yeah, I feel sorry for women. The way the legal system rakes them over the coals and extracts alimony from women is just dreadful.
    Nobody knows the trouble they've seen, nobody knows their sorrow.....

Used to be women couldn't dissolve the marriage, only the man. Then, for a while in the middle ages, the Church got into it and couldn't nobody but nobody dissolve the thing. Both of those ways worked pretty well. I'd vote for either one.

But giving women the power to flush the marriage whenever their pretty little heads get the notion? Big, big, big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    ok well if you aren't going to do it, maybe I will. I just want to know what the official response is.
    The article is written from the perspective that 80% of divorces are filed by women. The list is provided to keep your Queen from de-banking you.
    -Albert Camus

from your link:

And husband can to a better job of keeping the wife happy. Here is how:

He can tell his wife that he loves her.
    He can show his wife he loves her.
    He can talk and listen to his wife because she has important things to say and is an equal partner in their marriage.
    He can talk to his wife and share with her struggles, achievements, thoughts, and dreams.
    He can acknowledge her (in a non-sexual way – touching her arm, stroking her back, tucking her hair behind her ear.
    He can anticipate her needs by making her life a little bit easier — loading the dishwasher, wiping off the table, making her lunch the night before.
    He can remember that his wife is the most beautiful woman in the world (and make sure that she knows that he knows it).
    He can recharge her battery when she is tired and worn out.
    He can help her soar by encourage her in her dreams and through supporting her endeavors.
    He can recognize the small and simple things.

No list provided on how the little lady can keep her man happy?

Because it's easy. If he's hungry, feed him. If he's horny, $#@! him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The article is written from the perspective that 80% of divorces are filed by women. The list is provided to keep your Queen from de-banking you.
    Ah, since the site is run/written by people that profit from divorce, I assumed it was written to give potential divorcees a list of reasons to pick from in order to justify a divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    In a lot of cases (not all) I notice that:

When a man gets married, he doesn't expect her to change. She will. She'll put on weight, quit having sex, cut her hair, etc.

A woman on the other hand expects her husband to change drastically, but nothing he does change for her will ever make her happy. She will just keep adding to the list and the husband will continually try to regain the passion they had before marriage until he finally gives up. That's when she'll find another one and/or go on welfare.
    Men get married because they want a regular lay, and don't think they can do better than their bride. Women choose a spouse based on financial security, and whether he'll be a good dad. Kids grow up, dad is superfluous, and the woman takes half the finances because she needs "adventure".
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Ah, since the site is run/written by people that profit from divorce, I assumed it was written to give potential divorcees a list of reasons to pick from in order to justify a divorce.
    BINGO
    have some rep.
    -Albert Camus

The "doubling" rate only went from five percent to ten percent of people over 50 getting divorces. That is still significantly lower than other age groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The "doubling" rate only went from five percent to ten percent of people over 50 getting divorces. That is still significantly lower than other age groups.

Good point, reminds me of what Peter Schiff used to say all the time. He would say this whenever someone tried to make a mountain out of an ant hill for some high % increase of a small number "the person who has 1c just doubled his income when he picks up 1c off the ground". Insignificant if you asked me.

This is much to do about nothing.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    May seem minor to you but most of the divorces I know of are for that reason.
    I think the articles game many minor seasons why people get divorced but the title said "THE" reason which to be implied there was one big reason why baby boomers got divorced. Also I wonder which life expectancy data they are using to determine the 30 yrs older in retirement number cos a big factor causing increased life expectancy is decrease in infant mortality rates and innovations like improved cars/roads and medical devices like dialysis machines which now enable mostly young and middle age people to longer.

I do not believe people are living anywhere near averages of 30 yrs longer into retirement than previous generations

Nope. The last year of the baby boom was 1964. That would put them in their 50's and many will live up to 30 more years.
    I stand corrected

Anyway, I think people are getting divorced at a slightly higher rate mainly because people are becoming less religious and they have a little bit more freedom when it comes to marriage and quite frankly, I have no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I think the articles game many minor seasons why people get divorced but the title said "THE" reason which to be implied there was one big reason why baby boomers got divorced. Also I wonder which life expectancy data they are using to determine the 30 yrs older in retirement number cos a big factor causing increased life expectancy is decrease in infant mortality rates and innovations like improved cars/roads and medical devices like dialysis machines which now enable mostly young and middle age people to longer.

I do not believe people are living anywhere near averages of 30 yrs longer into retirement than previous generations

Yeah, I'll give ya that.

I stand corrected
    I only know that because Mr Animal told me he was a boomer and I didn't believe him.

Anyway, I think people are getting divorced at a slightly higher rate mainly because people are becoming less religious and they have a little bit more freedom when it comes to marriage and quite frankly, I have no problem with that.
    Possibly. I don't really care either until they make it my problem.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

If it flies, floats or f..ks. It is cheaper to rent.
    Last edited by Danke; 05-29-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: For the broad that has trouble following
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    If it flies, floats of f..ks. It is cheaper to rent.
    I've never rented a float of f..ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    If it flies, floats or f..ks. It is cheaper to rent.
    timeless wisdom.
    amen.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

What happens is the women have these guys hitting on them all the time for sex and so they think they can get a divorce and upgrade.

The fact is, most women will never be able to upgrade unless they make themselves a lot of money. This is because the sexual market value for women declines over time.. the best they will be able to get is when they are younger.

So they get divorced, then realize that the guys hitting on them for sex mostly just wanted sex, and the ones who wanted more may have been a grass is greener situation.

But combine that with the financial incentive that is provided by the state, and it becomes a lot more common.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-30-2017 at 01:13 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I figured baby boomers were getting divorced because as a generalization on their generation, they're all a bunch of blood sucking, egotistical, self-centered $#@!s.

Apologies to any boomers here.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    I figured baby boomers were getting divorced because as a generalization on their generation, they're all a bunch of blood sucking, egotistical, self-centered $#@!s.

Apologies to any boomers here.
    Well, there is that aspect of it as well.

Mr Animal...doesn't know how to operate the washer or dryer.
    At my house, that is by design. The washer and dryer are my power tools. Husband is not allowed to operate them. He can take clothes out of the dryer to fold, but he is not allowed to touch the moving parts.

True story: we have a very small space for washer and dryer. When it was time to buy replacements, I asked husband to measure the spaces and door to make sure new machines would fit. Delivery people were able to put in one machine, but not the other because it would not fit through the door.

Dude, you had one job.

So now I have lovely bifold louvered doors on my utility room. Any and all new appliances will fit.
    Last edited by euphemia; 05-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I've never rented a float of f..ks.
    i rented a boat once that leaked . I got caught out in a storm in it and it sunk . by the time I washed up on shore it was a long walk back to the car . I am ready to try Dankes plane now .
    Do something Danke

Let me tell you something, guys. It might be hard to live with a woman, but please know that as long as she is talking to you and depending on you to hold up your end of the deal, she is with you and has skin in the game. When she stops talking, call your attorney, because she's probably way ahead of you already. When she stops talking, she's done, and she's already developing an exit strategy. There's a name for it. It's called Walkaway Wife Syndrome. The stats have changed a bit since the article was written, but the behaviors remain the same.

I say this moving toward 38 years of marriage and watching many, many friends and acquaintances not go the distance.
    #NashvilleStrong

One of my customers is a guy whose wife left him after their kids were grown. He said it was pretty much because she wasn't happy. In their marriage, he said she always blamed him for everything that was wrong, but his biggest problem in the marriage was feeling unsatisfied because he couldn't seem to ever make her happy. He said the divorce devastated him but after a few years he met and married his current wife who seems super sweet and loving.

Do you think he would have been better off if wife #1 had chosen to suck it up and stay married to him?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Do you think he would have been better off if wife #1 had chosen to suck it up and stay married to him?
    Wrong question.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This is much to do about nothing.
    The American family is dead. Majority of children in US are being born to non-married -- so-called "single moms." Majority of the remaining will have their parents go through a divorce before they reach adulthood.

The American family is dead.

This is just the visible statistical top of the iceberg. The family is so dead. So, so dead. We have undergone this revolutionary change in the blink of an eye.

Tell me this is a molehill.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mr Animal won't give me a divorce, either. I think it's because he wouldn't know what to eat without me. He calls me every damn day and asks what he should eat. He also doesn't know how to operate the washer or dryer.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    At my house, that is by design. The washer and dryer are my power tools. Husband is not allowed to operate them. He can take clothes out of the dryer to fold, but he is not allowed to touch the moving parts.
    So let me offer the man's perspective.

Washers and dryers are both SIGNIFICANTLY less complicated than a Chevy Small Block engine, a personal computer, or even a cordless screwdriver... or practically anything men play with for fun, let alone what they do at work. There is an exactly 0.0% chance that the man doesn't actually have the ability to figure out how to operate these tools.

But let me let everyone know about the conversation all married men have within a few months of tying the knot.

Woman: Honey, did you wash some clothes yesterday?

Man: Yeah. (Thinks to himself, hoo boy, I might get laid for this!)

Woman: Some of my underwear is in there.

Man: Yep! (Holy $#@!, I might get HEAD tonight!)

Woman: What did you set it to when you ran it?

Man: Cottons. Everything in there was made of cotton. (This is irrelevant to blowjobs, but ok let's see where it goes.)

Woman: My underwear has to be washed on delicate.

Man: (WARNING WARNING FIGHT ENSU... $#@! I can't help it, this makes no $#@!ing sense) Well, honey, it's made of cotton, and so is everything else in the load. Why is there a cotton setting?

Woman: You also put bluejeans in there! Bluejeans aren't delicate! Jesus I hope you didn't ruin my panties.

Man: Did I? Because they look the exact sa-

Woman: What kind of detergent did you use?

Man: What the $#@!? There are multiple soaps now? How is soap not soap?

Woman: There are rules to this! You have to Woolite particular-

Man: Why do you own anything that requires special handling? It's like your underwear was made by an Italian sports car company or -

Woman: You know what, forget it. Just don't touch the washer anymore.

Man: No, that's not how this is ending. You're my wife now and I want to understand what the big $#@!ing -

Woman: DON'T TOUCH ME. GET THE $#@! AWAY FROM MY WASHER.

(Man proceeds to jerk off for the next 10 nights and only washes clothes after she's been gone for 7 or more days, and then at a laundromat, or after taking photographs of the settings on the machines beforehand....)

The moral of the story is, take a second to explain to him what the big deal is, prepare to acquiesce when you DON'T have a good explanation, and work with him when he has valid alternate ideas, throw in an occasional hummer.... and he'll do ALL SORTS of things.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I think it would have been better for both of them for wife #1 to grow up and start finding happiness where it can be found and quite blaming other people for her misery.
    #NashvilleStrong

My husband is also not allowed to touch kitchen appliances. He has an electric toothbrush, which he bought himself, but that's about all he's allowed to operate in the house.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    So let me offer the man's perspective.
    And we have a winner. I do my own laundry and the kids. I used to throw in DWs stuff when it was around and she was busy, but not any longer. I will NEVER touch her stuff as I unwittingly didn't use the right combination of black magic on her clothes too many times and got tired of failing to be helpful. She can go around naked for all I care.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast