Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Reasons to Eat More Saturated Fat

Chester Copperpot

7 Reasons to Eat More Saturated Fat

More from Dr. Mercola at link: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...rated-fat.aspx

1) Improved cardiovascular risk factors

Saturated fat plays a key role in cardiovascular health. The addition of saturated fat to the diet reduces the levels of a substance called lipoprotein (a) that correlates strongly with risk for heart disease. Research has shown that when women diet, those eating the greatest percentage of the total fat in their diets as saturated fat, lose the most weight.

2) Stronger bones

Saturated fat is required for calcium to be effectively incorporated into bone. According to one of the foremost research experts in dietary fats and human health, Dr. Mary Enig, Ph.D., there’s a case to be made for having as much as 50 percent of the fats in your diet as saturated fats for this reason.

3) Improved liver health

Saturated fat has been shown to protect the liver from alcohol and medications, including acetaminophen and other drugs commonly used for pain and arthritis.

4) Healthy lungs

For proper function, the airspaces of the lungs have to be coated with a thin layer of lung surfactant. The fat content of lung surfactant is 100 percent saturated fatty acids. Replacement of these critical fats by other types of fat makes faulty surfactant and potentially causes breathing difficulties.

5) Healthy brain

Your brain is mainly made of fat and cholesterol. The lion’s share of the fatty acids in the brain are actually saturated. A diet that skimps on healthy saturated fats robs your brain of the raw materials it needs to function optimally.

6) Proper nerve signaling

Certain saturated fats, particularly those found in butter, lard, coconut oil, and palm oil, function directly as signaling messengers that influence metabolism, including such critical jobs as the appropriate release of insulin.

7) Strong immune system

Saturated fats found in butter and coconut oil (myristic acid and lauric acid) play key roles in immune health. Loss of sufficient saturated fatty acids in white blood cells hampers their ability to recognize and destroy foreign invaders, such as viruses, bacteria, and fungi.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If his high-fat diet advice is so great, why does he sell a $#@!load of supplements?

http://shop.mercola.com/catalog/supplements,379,0,0.htm

That durianrider guy has noted correctly that all health gurus who promote a high-fat diet also sell a $#@!load of supplements. You don't see low-fat promoters sell snakeoil supplements.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    If his high-fat diet advice is so great, why does he sell a $#@!load of supplements?

That durianrider guy has noted correctly that all health gurus who promote a high-fat diet also sell a $#@!load of supplements. You don't see low-fat promoters sell snakeoil supplements.
    those supplements look to be unrelated to his article on saturated fat. I can only speculate that there are people who take those supplements so if they are fans of dr. mercola they might buy from him.. perhaps thats his reasoning - brand loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    those supplements look to be unrelated to his article on saturated fat. I can only speculate that there are people who take those supplements so if they are fans of dr. mercola they might buy from him.. perhaps thats his reasoning - brand loyalty.
    How can you tell Dr. Mercola is not a snakeoil salesmen?

McDonald's Milkshakes- the key to a longer and healthier life! Loaded with lots of your saturated fats! Add more ice cream and live even longer and healthier.

(Yes, we need some saturated fats but most people already consume too many of them- sugars and salt as well).

If more salt is good and more saturated fats are good then the American diet of salty, fatty foods should be making us the healthiest people on the planet. Are we?

Those supplements look pretty solid to me.. I don't take many supplements, mostly just some Vitamin D if I haven't been getting enough sun.. but targeted supplementation for specific problems is not a bad thing.

You being a veghead I recommend picking up some of his spirulina.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    McDonald's Milkshakes- the key to a longer and healthier life! Loaded with lots of your saturated fats! Add more ice cream and live even longer and healthier.

(Yes, we need some saturated fats but most people already consume too many of them- sugars and salt as well).

If more salt is good and more saturated fats are good then the American diet of salty, fatty foods should be making us the healthiest people on the planet. Are we?
    You make horrible arguments..

There would be nothing wrong with the saturated fat in milkshakes if it was from grass fed cows, but another major issue with them is the sugar.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Because you cannot get all your nutrition from food these days. Our soils have been depleted due to over-use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Those supplements look pretty solid to me.. I don't take many supplements, mostly just some Vitamin D if I haven't been getting enough sun.. but targeted supplementation for specific problems is not a bad thing.
    By you only needing to take one supplement seems to prove Mercola is selling fear.

You being a veghead I recommend picking up some of his spirulina.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Because you cannot get all your nutrition from food these days. Our soils have been depleted due to over-use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
    Then how does food even grow when they need nutrients too?

Chester Copperpot

there are healthy saturated fats and unhealthy saturated fats. And McDonalds isnt going to be using any healthy fats for anything...

Chester Copperpot

Well from my experience he doesnt seem to be. Not that I agree with him on everything but as doctors go he generally gives pretty good middle-of-the-road advice.

I dont buy any supplements from him.

Then how does food even grow when they need nutrients too?
    Being a veghead, you should know more about growing vegetables. I've had several vegetable gardens and have had experience growing cannabis in soil and hydroponically.

Plants only require nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium to grow, but there are many other micronutrients that healthy soils provide the plants that are healthful for humans.

Good organic farming practices will replace all these nutrients in the soil and grow healthier food. Bad conventional farming practices only replace the nutrients the plants need to grow and eventually lead to soil that is deplete of other important nutrients over time.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-10-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Why?
    A single tablespoon (7 grams) of dried spirulina powder contains (2):

Protein: 4 grams.
    Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 11% of the RDA.
    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 15% of the RDA.
    Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 4% of the RDA.
    Copper: 21% of the RDA.
    Iron: 11% of the RDA.
    It also contains decent amounts of magnesium, potassium and manganese, and small amounts of almost every other nutrient that we need.

This is coming with only 20 calories, and 1.7 grams of digestible carbohydrate.

Gram for gram, this means that spirulina may literally be the single most nutritious food on the planet.
    I get all this stuff from eating meat, veggies, and a little bit of fruit.. but when I was vegetarian spirulina was the what I supplemented with the most.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-10-2016 at 07:25 PM.

You are forgetting all those carbs and generally eating way too much on average.
    "I am a bird"

By you only needing to take one supplement seems to prove Mercola is selling fear.
    It's because I'm healthy.. If I had a specific problem that I could identify which could be helped with any of these supplements I would buy them. If you educate yourself about each of the specific supplements, you will see that provide great benefits, especially for those who may be deficient and are experiencing symptoms.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Being a veghead, you should know more about growing vegetables. I've had several vegetable gardens and have had experience growing cannabis in soil and hydroponically.

Plants only require nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium to grow, but there are many other micronutrients that healthy soils provide the plants that are healthful for humans.

Good organic farming practices will replace all these nutrients in the soil and grow healthier food. Bad conventional farming practices only replace the nutrients the plants need to grow and eventually lead to soil that is deplete of other important nutrients over time.
    dude hes trolling you.. dont fall for it.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    You are forgetting all those carbs and generally eating way too much on average.
    youre right. prob more carbs in mcdonalds mikshakes than fat

there are healthy saturated fats and unhealthy saturated fats.
    There are?

Chester Copperpot

There are?
    of course there are.. i guess you didnt bother to read the OP...

how could you possibly comment on anything in the thread if you didnt read nor understand the OP of the thread?
    Last edited by Chester Copperpot; 03-10-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Well from my experience he doesnt seem to be. Not that I agree with him on everything but as doctors go he generally gives pretty good middle-of-the-road advice.

I dont buy any supplements from him.
    How can your average person tell if a person like him is or isn't?

Chester Copperpot

How can your average person tell if a person like him is or isn't?
    everybody has to make up their own minds

I get all this stuff from eating meat, veggies, and a little bit of fruit.. but when I was vegetarian spirulina was the what I supplemented with the most.
    How did you know you had too? Did you feel less healthy when you didn't use spirulina?

What will eating too much carbs do?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Death.
    "I am a bird"

How did you know you had too? Did you feel less healthy when you didn't use spirulina?
    Well I was much healthier than when I was on the SAD, but I knew I needed a good source of B-vitamins and wanted to make sure I was getting everything else I needed, and of course protein never hurts when you are veg..

But ya, I felt a little better when I was taking the spirulina.

It's because I'm healthy.. If I had a specific problem that I could identify which could be helped with any of these supplements I would buy them. If you educate yourself about each of the specific supplements, you will see that provide great benefits, especially for those who may be deficient and are experiencing symptoms.
    But all you really need to do if you're sick from a poor diet is change to a healthy diet. Only supps you need are one's you can't get enough from your diet, like D as most in Northern and Southern countries should take, and B12 for plant-based diets.

Most of the stuff Mercola sells have never been proven. How do you know stuff in the bottle is really in there?

Chester Copperpot

for some people it kills them...

Death.
    This^^ Other possibilities include insulin resistance and type II diabetes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

of course there are.. i guess you didnt bother to read the OP...
    I did read it. I didn't see where it said there's different kinds of saturated fats. Can you post the part where it talks about it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast