Thread: Price of Silver

Price of Silver

So the price of silver has gone down for 12 straight days, which is a record. How is it possible for any commodity to go down for twelve straight days? Does anyone have any idea why this absurdity is going on right now?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Buy. The whispers are in the wind again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    So the price of silver has gone down for 12 straight days, which is a record. How is it possible for any commodity to go down for twelve straight days? Does anyone have any idea why this absurdity is going on right now?
    It declined (not every day) for almost five years- between 2011 and 2016. Also between 1980 and 2004- both following record highs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It declined (not every day) for almost five years- between 2011 and 2016. Also between 1980 and 2004- both following record highs.
    Yeah, I know. I bought a monster box of American Silver Eagle coins back in 2013 at $22.82 per share. Since then it's done nothing but gone down. I'm just not sure if it's ever going to go back up significantly or not.

PM"s are highly manipulated by banks. No doubt they have a hand in it.

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    PM"s are highly manipulated by banks. No doubt they have a hand in it.
    Prices up- it is the market and great investment decisions. Prices down- it is the banks manipulating everything.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Prices up- it is the market and great investment decisions. Prices down- it is the banks manipulating everything.
    Wrong. The prices are manipulated 365 days a year. Are you ignorant of this fact or just pretending to be?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

It's pretty strange to see the price of silver drop over a dollar in a single day, which has happened several times in the last year.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A lot of times markets trend into important events and are apt to reverse. Today was a FED day. Tomorrow is potentially an important vote.

FWIW buying a down open tomorrow and selling the first up close vs the previous day has almost 90% chance of showing a profit and a pretty high % expectation for silver.

Yeah, I know. I bought a monster box of American Silver Eagle coins back in 2013 at $22.82 per share. Since then it's done nothing but gone down. I'm just not sure if it's ever going to go back up significantly or not.
    You're still doing better than me... I bought a bunch at $38/oz
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    You're still doing better than me... I bought a bunch at $38/oz
    Yikes. It seems like the price should go up in the future if the price of silver were actually based on supply and demand, but unfortunately at the moment it doesn't seem like the price is based on that.

2 weeks ago 18.50 , this morning 16 3/4 or about a 9 1/2 percent drop , during the same time , until today , gold dropped about 2.3 % .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    2 weeks ago 18.50 , this morning 16 3/4 or about a 9 1/2 percent drop , during the same time , until today , gold dropped about 2.3 % .
    And why do you think that is?

I see no real reason for it . Personally 15 - 17 dollar silver screams buy to me . I bought a crapload at 8 - 9 too and started unloading it around 29 - 30 and up . I really do not fool around with bullion much . Today as an example of what I usually buy, I picked up an 1877 CC dime for dealer wholesale bid @ 28 FRN's from a guy I know, normally I would have pd 10 percent less but I like the guy . I intend to keep it , but I could easily mark it up 10 percent and sell it . It will not go down in price though if silver drops to 15 , probably will go up though if the stock market tanks and silver goes back to upper twenties .
    Do something Danke

While I do not personally buy many silver Eagles , I do sell some .They do sell for a considerable ( percentage wise ) premium over spot . If I recall when spot was 18.50 order price on Eagles was 21.25 or so . So , 20 dollar silver would be back to 23 dollar Eagles is my guess .
    Do something Danke

I guess most MSM financial people are saying that it is due to the prediction of a fed rate hike coming rather soon. So if you don't actually think a hike is coming, then its a buying opportunity. I have no real position on the subject, I just dollar cost average into PMs and consider them the ultimate long term nest egg.

Another way of looking at it is, with PM prices going down I would think indicates that the smart money is predicting that no actual big wars are on the horizon despite the fear mongering with NK and Syria.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I guess most MSM financial people are saying that it is due to the prediction of a fed rate hike coming rather soon. So if you don't actually think a hike is coming, then its a buying opportunity. I have no real position on the subject, I just dollar cost average into PMs and consider them the ultimate long term nest egg.

Another way of looking at it is, with PM prices going down I would think indicates that the smart money is predicting that no actual big wars are on the horizon despite the fear mongering with NK and Syria.
    I agree , silver has gone 18 1/2 to 16 1/3 in 15 days , gold 1285 to 1227 . If war was imminent none of that would have happened .
    Do something Danke

Does anyone have any idea why this absurdity is going on right now?
    No. Literally.

This is important to realize for investors: literally no one on Earth -- not talking heads on CNBC, not bloggers, not your financial advisor, no one -- knows why market fluctuations occur. I mean that very literally. Believe it. Know it. Let this truth sink into your bones.

And then stop worrying about day-to-day price fluctuations. They're not meaningful, it's just a waste of your time and emotional energy to care. You bought silver because you wanted silver. Are the fundamental considerations that led you to make that choice still true? Then be happy: you still have your silver.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    You bought silver because you wanted silver. Are the fundamental considerations that led you to make that choice still true? Then be happy: you still have your silver.
    ∆∆∆ Everything he posted especially this. I've bought sporadically, mostly between 11 and 19. I did buy one time when it was 46.50 an ounce, but over the years I have not acquired the 500 ounces in a monster box due to finances. Be happy with that box. I would. It's not what it's worth now, it's what it is worth when you absolutely need it. 22 an ounce is still a very good price especially for SAEs.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    ∆∆∆ Everything he posted especially this. I've bought sporadically, mostly between 11 and 19. I did buy one time when it was 46.50 an ounce, but over the years I have not acquired the 500 ounces in a monster box due to finances. Be happy with that box. I would. It's not what it's worth now, it's what it is worth when you absolutely need it. 22 an ounce is still a very good price especially for SAEs.
    LOL , yeah . 22 FRN silver eagles will seem like the bargain of a lifetime if you need them .
    Do something Danke

A friend of mine , retired special ed teacher , used to joke and say " you have to have 1000 ounces to be a silver baron and if you do not have a 100 you will be poor if you need it for money one day . Nobody wants to be poor . "
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-04-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    Do something Danke

I will say this , even if the fed was going to move interest rate that does not explain an 11 percent drop in 15 days of silver etc . In fact the amount of anything the fed has moved anything lately is of no matter . There is also no reason for the fed to exist .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A friend of mine , retired special ed teacher , used to joke and say you have to have 1000 ounces to be a silver baron and if you do not have a 100 you will be poor if you need it for money one day . Nobody wants to be poor .
    Hell, having to move 1000 ounces around will make you a body builder too, my kid could move the same equivalent $$ of gold.

LOL , yeah . 22 FRN silver eagles will seem like the bargain of a lifetime if you need them .
    Actually the spot price of silver was 22.82 when I bought the silver eagles. The silver eagles were a little more than that. I spent $12,950 on 500 ounces of American Silver Eagles.

Oil too. Some have warned that when both metals and oil are in sustained down spiral for no apparent reason that shtf time is close. It's a sign of the paper games being unwound and liquidated. Dunno if that's what's going on but there's no particular reason, like dollar strengthening, for it.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Oil too. Some have warned that when both metals and oil are in sustained down spiral for no apparent reason that shtf time is close. It's a sign of the paper games being unwound and liquidated. Dunno if that's what's going on but there's no particular reason, like dollar strengthening, for it.
    I noticed that , wholesale gasoline is @ 1.53 with oil @ 47 7/8 . With oil that low it is certainly not a sign of strong economic growth worldwide . Everything has been in a permanent funk as far as any growth goes since the last stock collapse . I expect that to continue until the next downturn .
    Do something Danke