Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ron Paul Should Not Run for President Again

Thumbs down Why Ron Paul Should Not Run for President Again

I AM JUST POSTING THIS PIECE-I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT

I wish Ron Paul had won the Republican nomination in 2008. I wish Paul had won the general election and was president right now. But he’s not, and by the time the 2012 primaries start, he will be 76 years old. This is past the age of almost any contender for the presidency that I am aware of. (In all of American history, I think only one major party contender was older than that–Mike Gravel in 2008.)

Of course, it is seriously unlikely that Paul would get elected if he did run a second time, so there is arguably no danger in him running what would effectively be another educational campaign. I think the problem is that it gives the impression that the liberty movement is solely focused and led by Ron Paul, which is not the case…or at least I sure as hell hope not. We need to put forth some new blood, which we are already seeing in Congressional and Senate races, most notably Paul’s son Rand in Kentucky. This must eventually be reflected at the top of ticket as well, whether it be in 2012 or later.

There might already be an good candidate out there to pickup where Paul leaves off in former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson. Johnson appears to be interested in running, and he lines up with Paul the vast majority of the time. Furthermore, he is from the Mountain West where libertarian ideas are most popular, which could deliver whole chunk of delegates.

The great danger here is that the liberty movement could be reduced to infighting if both Paul and Johnson run. The ideal situation in my mind is for Paul to endorse Johnson for president and then proceed to campaign around the country for him during the primaries. Any successful movement needs leaders (pl.). Repeatedly running the same candidate–no matter how ideal–only shows weakness.

Filed under: Uncategorized
    One Response to “Why Ron Paul Should Not Run for President Again”

Thomas, on November 18th, 2009 at 2:40 am Said:

This would be a disaster. Ron Paul is best known for his defence of strict constitutionalism and opposition to foreign wars and the Fed. Johnson is best known for his support of drug legalisation. This would allow the “liberty movement” to be tarred and feathered with the brush of social decadence. You would lose most all paleoconservative votes.

If there be no alternative, it is best that Paul run again and that he himself make some effort to groom a future spokesman.

http://www.amconmag.com/postright/20...esident-again/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well Ron Paul is the only one I support and I am sure I am not alone!

You are not alone!

RP in 2012!

-t

I believe the saying goes "70s are the new 50s". Age is not a factor.

It took too much to get Paul up to the recognition he's currently at - which still isn't much - fresh blood, Paul endorsed or no, will simply be a black-listed repeat of '08.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyw24 View Post
    (In all of American history, I think only one major party contender was older than that–Mike Gravel in 2008.)
    This part actually justifies a Ron Paul run in 2012...I don't recall any talk of Mike Gravel's age in the 2008 election. Even though there wasn't much talk about him anyway.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

As Reagan said about this issue. "I Know some people want to make age an issue but I won't hold my opponents youth and inexperience against him."
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    As Reagan said about this issue. "I Know some people want to make age an issue but I won't hold my opponents youth and inexperience against him."
    save that golden nugget for the primaries

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Ron had won the 08 election would you not want him to run for re election in 2012?

anyone with a head on their shoulders knows that age is a factor...

I would like to see the Judge run tbh

Quote Originally Posted by CivilRadiant View Post

A Fox News pundit? Right, I can't possibly see how that could fail.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    A Fox News pundit? Right, I can't possibly see how that could fail.
    Thanks for letting us know that you don't know anything about the judge...

You should try reading his books before opening your mouth imo

Age is a real factor, yes, but wouldn't it serve as the ultimate humilation for the NWO and the controlled establishment for an independent, 76-77 year old liberty candidate to win by landslide over their highly polished, teleprompter-smooth incumbent President in 2012?
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

anyone who is pushing for other people to run at a Ron Paul forum doesn't have a head on his shoulders

IT will be interesting to see what the latest "public policy" poll returns.
    http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot....9/11/vote.html

Voting is now open for who we should include with Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, and Mitt Romney on our next 2012 poll.

The choices are Rudy Giuliani, Rush Limbaugh, George Pataki, Ron Paul, and John Thune.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I didn't put Jeb Bush, Newt Gingrich, or Tim Pawlenty on there simply because they'd been included in recent polls and we're trying to test a wider variety of candidates. You can vote until Friday morning at 10 AM and the poll will be out toward the end of next week.
    That was last week. So the poll should be coming out later this week and RP should be on it.

I don't know if he could win, but a Ron Paul republican candidacy in 2012 would be a lot more viable. Here is why:

1. There would be no democratic primary. A lot of young people who would have otherwise supported Ron Paul were working hard for Obama. These people I think would be on our side in 2012.

2. Higher name ID.

3. Capability to raise funds much earlier. Paul didn't start really raking it in in 2007 until the fourth quarter. By then many chances had passed and Paul, after raising $75,000 with his expoloratory committee, had to hire a bargin-basement campaign staff.

4. Sarah Palin: her goofy supporters (not all, but the hardcore ones) will raise her a lot of money if she runs. I think the motivation to out-do her supporters would help raise Ron Paul even more. Imagine a Ron Paul graphs that featured a daily tracking of Paul-vs.-Palin like it did with Huckabee in 2007 and 2008.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    I don't know if he could win, but a Ron Paul republican candidacy in 2012 would be a lot more viable. Here is why:

1. There would be no democratic primary. A lot of young people who would have otherwise supported Ron Paul were working hard for Obama. These people I think would be on our side in 2012.

2. Higher name ID.

3. Capability to raise funds much earlier. Paul didn't start really raking it in in 2007 until the fourth quarter. By then many chances had passed and Paul, after raising $75,000 with his expoloratory committee, had to hire a bargin-basement campaign staff.

4. Sarah Palin: her goofy supporters (not all, but the hardcore ones) will raise her a lot of money if she runs. I think the motivation to out-do her supporters would help raise Ron Paul even more. Imagine a Ron Paul graphs that featured a daily tracking of Paul-vs.-Palin like it did with Huckabee in 2007 and 2008.

All of these are great points. The more I think about it, the more I believe a run in '12 is absolutely the right decision.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by tremendoustie View Post
    All of these are great points. The more I think about it, the more I believe a run in '12 is absolutely the right decision.
    Another thing is the "racist" card is played out. The Republican voters have been trained to ignore it now. And as much as I dislike it, I feel a large number of americans are discovering their inner-racists due to that card being overplayed.

I wait for Ron Paul to talk before I start bashing another candidate.

I imagine he and Johnson will work together on something. Come on, you think they would actually think they could both run and battle eachother for the same base.

Quote Originally Posted by tajitj View Post
    I wait for Ron Paul to talk before I start bashing another candidate.

I imagine he and Johnson will work together on something. Come on, you think they would actually think they could both run and battle eachother for the same base.
    Perfectly reasonable. I still think that if he does run again, he needs to have a VP candidate already selected and announce that selection at the same time as his own announcement.

i say he shouldn't, and let Rand run in the later years.
    "You know not what you are given, but forever will you know what has been taken away from you..."

"As long as we live beyond our means we are destined to live beneath our means." - Ron Paul at a CNBC Debate in Michigan (10/09/07)

Who cares about 2012? We still have races to win in 2010. If we win big 2012 is wide open no matter who becomes the standard bearer. If we come up empty we won't last through 2012.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Another thing is the "racist" card is played out. The Republican voters have been trained to ignore it now. And as much as I dislike it, I feel a large number of americans are discovering their inner-racists due to that card being overplayed.
    I don't agree with the "inner racist" thing, but I do agree the card has been overplayed, perhaps played out.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

If Obama is at all weak in 2012 no race card would work. It will be because his policies were a disaster and no race card will pull him out. It is far to early to know how he will be viewed in that time. He could be Jimmy Carter's second run or Reagan's. Nobody knows at this point.
    Last edited by klamath; 11-18-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We will flood the field with Liberty candidates and then support the last man standing!

Thanks for letting us know that you don't know anything about the judge...

You should try reading his books before opening your mouth imo
    That is what he is known for. Do you think that 99% of Republican primary voters have read his books or have even heard of Freedom Watch? As for anyone who does know him, they'll see him as the judicial analyst that knows the law but nothing else. At least Dr. Paul was well known enough to get 1.3 million votes the first go around.

I don't agree with the "inner racist" thing, but I do agree the card has been overplayed, perhaps played out.
    Theres nothing wrong with being racially aware. Its better to live in reality than a fantasy land.

I can't seem to find a thing I dislike about Gary Johnson, and he was a governor (a very successful on at that), so with a Ron Paul endorsement I think he'd be an even strong candidate than RP.
    Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly,I would not even listen to anyone seriously that talked about such a thing. ~ General Dwight D Eisenhower
    Those who know do not talk. Those who talk do not know. -Lao Tzu

all of these are great points. The more i think about it, the more i believe a run in '12 is absolutely the right decision.
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    If Obama is at all weak in 2012 no race card would work. It will be because his policies were a disaster and no race card will pull him out. It is far to early to know how he will be viewed in that time. He could be Jimmy Carter's second run or Reagan's. Nobody knows at this point.
    More like Jimmy Carter versus Bill Clinton. The similarities between Obama's first term and Clinton's are striking. Both came in partially off economic concerns about both attempted radical health-care overhauls their first years in office. I take heart in the fact that Bill lost the house and senate in the first off year election. I take dispondency in the fact that Bill won re-election anyway. But there couldn't have been a sorrier candidate than Bob "let me talk to you about erectile dysfunction" Dole.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast