Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Ahmadinejad threaten to wipe Israel off the map?

Did Ahmadinejad threaten to wipe Israel off the map?

http://antiwar.com/orig/norouzi.php?articleid=11025

I'm curious if anyone here can tell me with certainty that the quote is falsified. I want to get my facts straight.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

I dont believe he said those exact words.

I couldn't give a flying monkeys ass. Not my job to worry and fret for Israel. Have enough problems right here in the U.S. of A.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Yes. He did say "vanish from the face of time". So when Hannity beats that "He wants to wipe Israel off the map" to death again and again, he's misquoting him.

Honestly, Ive yet to hear him say it in any translated interview. I am pretty sure there is a misinterpretation because Iran does not have the capability and never will have that capability because they are surrounded by 3 nuclear armed nations it would be a double jeopardy and he just doesn't hit me as the kind of person who would relinquish his power for a decision to get wiped off the planet by Israeli nukes.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Translation controversy
    Many news sources repeated the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting statement by Ahmadinejad that "Israel must be wiped off the map",[5][6] an English idiom which means to "cause a place to stop existing",[7] or to "obliterate totally",[8] or "destroy completely".[9]

Ahmadinejad's phrase was " بايد از صفحه روزگار محو شود " according to the text published on the President's Office's website.[10]

The translation presented by the official Islamic Republic News Agency has been challenged by Arash Norouzi, who says the statement "wiped off the map" was never made and that Ahmadinejad did not refer to the nation or land mass of Israel, but to the "regime occupying Jerusalem". Norouzi translated the original Persian to English, with the result, "the Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time."[11] Juan Cole, a University of Michigan Professor of Modern Middle East and South Asian History, agrees that Ahmadinejad's statement should be translated as, "the Imam said that this regime occupying Jerusalem (een rezhim-e eshghalgar-e qods) must [vanish from] the page of time (bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad).[12] According to Cole, "Ahmadinejad did not say he was going to 'wipe Israel off the map' because no such idiom exists in Persian." Instead, "he did say he hoped its regime, i.e., a Jewish-Zionist state occupying Jerusalem, would collapse."[13] The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) translated the phrase similarly, as "this regime" must be "eliminated from the pages of history."[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud...jad_and_Israel
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

"Just How Far Did They Go, Those Words Against Israel?" See: NY Times 2006 Article
    My Tribute To The MSM: "The Pusher"
    Beck's Audience: YouTube - Family Guy - Undecided Voters
    How to end ALL Taxation:
    (Walter Burien - CAFR) TaxRetirement.com
    Next Scam:
    "Cash For Cash"
    Regarding Romans 13:
    "Caesar Is Dead"
    How Corrupt Is Your Traitor? http://maplight.org/
    Exposing Government Travel Excesses: http://junketsleuth.com/
    Track The Bailouts: http://bailoutsleuth.com/
    Securities Fraud And Corporate Chicanery: http://sharesleuth.com/
    RonPaul2012

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No.

Although I don't believe he is CIA agent, he is a quasi US ally for Iraq/Afghan wars and beyond.

Not exactly . First , who cares ?he is in no position to make threats , second , he has some very crazy beliefs.

Depends who you ask. If you ask a neocon, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Not exactly . First , who cares ?he is in no position to make threats , second , he has some very crazy beliefs.
    Anyone who does not want to start a pre-emptive, unprovoked war with Iran should care.

Idiots have been spouting that misquoted phrase for years, beating the war drums. It's about all they have.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Anyone who does not want to start a pre-emptive, unprovoked war with Iran should care.

Idiots have been spouting that misquoted phrase for years, beating the war drums. It's about all they have.
    We should care that people care so much about what he said, but we shouldn't really care about what he said, and we'd like those that do care to quit caring.

And I think it can be slightly easier to get people who either hate or are afraid of Iran to move up one notch to being merely dismissive of Iran. As in, "They're just a bunch of punks spouting hot air. I won't even give them a moment of my concern; they're not worth it." That would be a great movement in the right direction.

Good point , if I was an Iranian in Iran , I would suggest to him though , that instead of being concerned about the Govt of Jerusalem , he may want to concentrate on the dismal performance of Govt in Iran and the unemployment rate that looks like Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by COpatriot View Post
    Yes. He did say "vanish from the face of time". So when Hannity beats that "He wants to wipe Israel off the map" to death again and again, he's misquoting him.
    he was also speaking of Zionism. The Philosophy/Government, and not the people.

I too would love to see zionism vanish from the earth. It is a great evil and a curse on Israel.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 10-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Good point , if I was an Iranian in Iran , I would suggest to him though , that instead of being concerned about the Govt of Jerusalem , he may want to concentrate on the dismal performance of Govt in Iran and the unemployment rate that looks like Spain.
    Iran's unemployment is as bad as here? The "official" number here is 23% overall with >30 year olds at 45%. That doesn't include people who have given up looking or are underemployed, so real figures are probably 35% overall and close to 60% for young people.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Iran's unemployment is as bad as here? The "official" number here is 23% overall with >30 year olds at 45%. That doesn't include people who have given up looking or are underemployed, so real figures are probably 35% overall and close to 60% for young people.
    Last official number I saw there was just under 20% , which means , worse . Young people , probably extremely high . Saudi as well , at least the Iranians and Spanish are not having to bring in millions of foreign workers to do the jobs available because the young people cannot , like in Saud.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I had a girlfriend in Barcelona in the 80"s , loved the San Miguel and the calamari there

I was wondering (And I'm using my sisters account for this so bare with me...) what were Ron Paul's exact words on regarding whether or not Ahmadinejad said he wanted Israel "wiped off the map"? Could I get the exact words he said, if anyone has them?

The short answer is no.

The slightly longer answer is that purposeful mistranslation is a lie big enough to stack up against "They have WMD's!", and is being used for the same end game, just a different target - war with Iran.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

He also is not a Holocaust Denier

*runs away*
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

1) That's an often quoted mistranslation.
    2) He actually asked for regime change in Israel....which is what the U.S. asked for in Iran. (Pot calling the kettle black?)
    3) As president he is not in charge of the Iranian armed forces. So he couldn't attack Israel even if he wanted to.
    4) Israel can take care of itself.
    5) Our stupid foreign policy has given Iran a new ally in the region....Iraq!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

either way, we need to take every leader's words seriously. It doesn't matter if it is President Obama's, Merkel's, or MA's, you have to take what they say seriously. I believe that he has said that he wants to go after the Zionists. I don't trust the guy, that being said, what can we really do to stop them from obtaining a weapon? I mean, honestly?

I do want to make one more quick point and I know I am going to receive a lot of crap for this, but here goes:

For all of those who support Dr. Paul's position on 9/11 and how OBL said on numerous occasions the reason behind the attacks was because ofholy land, Palestine, etc, all I would say is that you cannot be hypocrites about words. You can't sit there and say, "look at what OBL said here...", then when the President of Iran says something that raises eyebrows, just simply ignore it and say "it doesn't matter." You have to take everything anyone of any prominent position says seriously. IF Ahmadinejad said something (which I don't know exactly what he said) that was provocative, then yes...take it seriously and hold them accountable. BTW, holding them accountable doesn't nec. mean war. It means attention, however.
    "I am, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    He also is not a Holocaust Denier

*runs away*
    source?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Free Beer View Post
    source?
    Source for him saying it?

You're asking him to prove a negative.

Source for him saying it?

You're asking him to prove a negative.
    He made a statement saying that "he is not a Holocaust Denier"

How does he know that? Source please.

I am not saying he is lying, I actually want the proof so I can defend my position on Iran to other people.

Mistranslated quote

Last edited by Josalyn; 05-31-2022 at 03:25 PM.

I sometimes get into conversations about this with people and when I inform them that it's a misquote (and one often used by politicians who are aware it's a misquote or at least a questionable translation), the rebuke is often "who cares? the guy's evil and he wants to get rid of israel."

My response to this is always the same: "If Ahmadinejad is such a bad guy, why do you feel the need to rely on a known false quote to demonstrate how bad he is? Don't you have something real to back up your claim that Iran is this huge existential threat?"

Of course, as others here have spoken to, Ahmadinejad certainly isn't a saint, but, I mean hey, I don't like Barack Obama, that doesn't mean I go around making false claims about him that are even more horrible than the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    My response to this is always the same: "If Ahmadinejad is such a bad guy, why do you feel the need to rely on a known false quote to demonstrate how bad he is? Don't you have something real to back up your claim that Iran is this huge existential threat?"
    Excellent. Air tight. Ron should cite Sean Hannity's continual use of the mis quote in the next debate. It would cause a firestorm in the press but the fact check would be revealed. Or, no one might care and it might cause blow back to Ron's campaign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast