Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Much Am I Bid for this Bridge? ('Fixing'? or Selling Off our Nation's Infrastructure)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And your registration will only go up, as will your gasoline taxes. With electric vehicle use expanding, wait for a new tax on electricity.
    Trump doesn't support taxes what are you talking about.
    Trump suggests 25 cent increase in gas tax, senator says

President Donald Trump suggested Wednesday that a 25 cent increase in gas and diesel taxes would be needed to help pay for

the administration's new infrastructure plan, according to Democratic Sen. Tom Carper. In a bipartisan meeting with lawmakers at the White House, Trump noted that the federal gas tax hasn't been raised since 1993, said Carper, the top Democrat on the Environment and Public Works Committee.

"He said that he knew it was a difficult thing for legislators to support and said that he would support the leadership to do that and provide the political cover to do that," Delaware's Carper told CNN in an interview. "And he came back to that theme again and again and again."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And your registration will only go up, as will your gasoline taxes. With electric vehicle use expanding, wait for a new tax on electricity.
    I did cost accounting for a living before my husband had the stroke and needed a constant babysitter. I know full well how to distribute costs. What they should tax is the mileage per vehicle, adjusted for the weight of the vehicle. But that freaks out the Libertarians as well.

But thinking outside the box - private roads might not even require a state tag to drive on.

And let's not dismiss the notion that private roads would compete with each other for traffic. You want to get there fast? The expensive road is your solution. DOn't mind about a million stoplights with advertising supported signs every 10 feet? Then welcome to the slow road.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I've never been across any of the roads that Pete's kin pioneered or whatever.
    Oh yes you have. You did live in Michigan as I remember.

My ancestors settled it. it's like historically documented and such.

Portage St. in Sault Sainte Marie was originally a passage by trappers and traders..
    Long before the Soo Locks existed..

My ancestors established that road. and Others.

The Mackinac Bridge,, Dad was an Underwater (Hardhat) Welder. That bridge stands on my Daddy's welds.
    I'm not sure it was ever a good idea.. but the toll is excessive and the "maintenance" wasteful.

I have walked it a few times.

How do you think the things come to your stores from?
    On roads,, that were market trails,, that the Government usurped but does not own.

I believe that local people,,(local government) should maintain local roads for the use of all the people doing trade.. it is in their own self intrest.

Burdening travel with highway robbery is not in anyone's interest but the robbers.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 02-14-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

...What they should tax is the mileage per vehicle, adjusted for the weight of the vehicle. But that freaks out the Libertarians as well.
    A gasoline tax is an approximate proxy for a weight/mileage tax. Heavier vehicles requires more fuel. This is what has them panicked about electric vehicles. How to tax them, especially as they are pushing them on everyone.

Libertarians would have a problem with mileage tax as it either requires annual mileage reporting, or even worse, electronic tracking. And no doubt electronic tracking will be the preference of Big Mother. Tolls roads and bridges in certain states generally require electronic tracking, and everyone complies.

And let's not dismiss the notion that private roads would compete with each other for traffic. You want to get there fast? The expensive road is your solution. DOn't mind about a million stoplights with advertising supported signs every 10 feet? Then welcome to the slow road.
    That's how they are doing it in California. Toll lane or toll road has less traffic.

And as Specs pondered, it is ironic that high tax states like New York, Illinois and California are leading the way for new toll roads, or new tolls on existing roads.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

A gasoline tax is an approximate proxy for a weight/mileage tax. Heavier vehicles requires more fuel. This is what has them panicked about electric vehicles. How to tax them, especially as they are pushing them on everyone.

Libertarians would have a problem with mileage tax as it either requires annual mileage reporting, or even worse, electronic tracking. And no doubt electronic tracking will be the preference of Big Mother. Tolls roads and bridges in certain states generally require electronic tracking, and everyone complies.

That's how they are doing it in California. Toll lane or toll road has less traffic.

And as Specs pondered, it is ironic that high tax states like New York, Illinois and California are leading the way for new toll roads, or new tolls on existing roads.
    The gas tax is a boondoggle because the revenue gets misappropriated and doesn't ever go to what its supposed to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The gas tax is a boondoggle because the revenue gets misappropriated and doesn't ever go to what its supposed to pay for.
    Of course. SOP. Maybe they need to put it in Al Gore's lockbox.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Of course. SOP. Maybe they need to put it in Al Gore's lockbox.
    Yeah either that or don't call it a gas tax to fund public roads, because we are using it to fund the war on drugs.

The difference is that the tolls are paid only by the people that actually use the road. I live in the middle of nowhere. I've never been across any of the roads that Pete's kin pioneered or whatever. But I pay as much to register my car as the guy who drives 500 miles a day. In the meantime, I live on a dirt road that looks like the surface of the moon.

I pray for the privatization of muh roads, so I could pay somebody to phuckin fix mine instead of being forced to pay homage to pete's dead kin.

Did nobody actually listen to Ron Paul?

Wait - let me guess. We don't want to privatize education now, either?
    Marry me?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Uh huh. Well, Oklahoma is full of turnpikes, and Missouri has none. Yet their motor fuel taxes are at least as low as ours, and last I checked, lower.

So excuse me for being skeptical that privatization leads to taxpayers not paying for a thing.
    Bingo.

The net effect is a brand new tax, in the form of tolls. No taxes repealed.
    This. Exact same situation as the budget "cuts" proposed by the current administration: money will be redirected elsewhere rather than simply not taken from the people or not spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12