Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IS IT GAME OVER FOR BITCOIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul799 View Post
    No. I would want to pick a serious gold-backed stablecoin project
    why would I want that? I would have to trust the bank holding the gold to be honest.

History showed us that this is not possible. Human nature prevents it. Crypto uses math nature to prevent fraud.

Bitcoin is the most elegant way to link math and the real world(energy/electricity) through the process of mining.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. I would want to pick a serious gold-backed stablecoin project

Among institutionals (enterprises, fonds, banks, multinationals, governments, sovereign fonds etc.) there is as much as zero interest in Bitcoin, both as a investment and as a means of payment or value transfering.
    They are interested in Stablecoins.

Folks living in countries with currencies subject to depreciation.
    No interest in Bitcoin.
    They want Stablecoins.

Bitcoin right now is the one only in the crypto-sphere, among crypto-enthusiasts.
    Probably it will stay that way. A niche role
    What happens when a government comes in and confiscates the gold that the crypto is backed by? Or what if the people who run the thing steal the gold or misrepresent the holdings?

Major weakness.

I would love to see gold backed crypto, I just don't think it is a good idea to put all the eggs in that basket.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

@Mordan, @dannno,
    I agree with you about Bitcoin needing less trust that a gold-backed stablecoin.
    I'd only correct you, just to safe face, when you talk about banks holding the metals.
    It doesn't need to be a bank.

The second point is, what if confiscation.
    This danger exists for bitcoin too.
    What if Govs declare trading of bitcoin illegal. Buying with bitcoin is illegal, just the act of offering bitcoin in exchange of good or services is illegal.
    Accepting bitcoins as a means of payment is illegal. Just showing the readiness of accepting bitcoins to that purpose is illegal.
    That would make bitcoins as a currency, useless.

"What happens when a government comes in and confiscates the gold that the crypto is backed by?"
    If the metal is managed by an organisation with multiple vaults around the world, in this case they would move the metals out of the country and into a vault in another country.
    For example, in case of the gold-backed stablecoin Kinesis, the organisation managing the metals is the Allocated Bullion Exchange, with vaults in 7 locations around the world.
    I like their inventory management, particularly the Inspection and Audit Section
    https://abx.com/technology-services/storage-logistics/

But I don't trust Kinesis because of that. Basically I trust them because among their Advisers there is Andrew Maguire, who was a whistleblower at the CFTC during the investigation about the manipulation of the gold and silver market.

@Mordan, @dannno,
    I agree with you about Bitcoin needing less trust that a gold-backed stablecoin.
    I'd only correct you, just to safe face, when you talk about banks holding the metals.
    It doesn't need to be a bank.

What if Govs declare trading of bitcoin illegal. Buying with bitcoin is illegal, just the act of offering bitcoin in exchange of good or services is illegal.
    Accepting bitcoins as a means of payment is illegal. Just showing the readiness of accepting bitcoins to that purpose is illegal.

"What happens when a government comes in and confiscates the gold that the crypto is backed by?"
    If the metal is managed by an organisation with multiple vaults around the world, in this case they would move the metals out of the country and into a vault in another country.
    For example, in case of the gold-backed stablecoin Kinesis, the organisation managing the metals is the Allocated Bullion Exchange, with vaults in 7 locations around the world.
    I like their inventory management, particularly the Inspection and Audit Section
    https://abx.com/technology-services/storage-logistics/

But I don't trust Kinesis because of that. Basically I trust them because among their Advisers there is Andrew Maguire, who was a whistleblower at the CFTC during the investigation about the manipulation of the gold and silver market.

The difference is that gold must be held at a physical location and the enforcement arm of the government can easily come take it. Having multiple, secure locations is a good protection, and I still support people who want to try that. It's simply risky.

Bitcoin cannot just be taken like gold, in a physical sense. They need the keys and stuff.

The government can ban bitcoin, but how would they enforce it? There are also a lot of governments around the world. They would all have to ban it and enforce it.. and when that happens, you inevitably get bubbles that pop up where it isn't being enforced and those people will say to themselves, "hey, I wonder why all these governments are being oppressive and banning bitcoin?" They will try it, it will work well, they will prosper and other places will see the example and how great it is working and they will elect people to government who will allow bitcoin. Then as it becomes more apparent at how good it is, countries that have a tougher ban in place will have to fight harder, but they will have a good reason to.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I traded in my bitcoins

Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    Does an 80% price drop spell the end of Bitcoin?

https://smaulgld.com/is-it-game-over-for-bitcoin/

I used my bitcoins to buy gold from Bullion Exchanges. If you think about it, gold is always the better investment. https://bullionexchanges.com/

@dannno,
    I agree with everything you say.

@Mordan, @dannno,

Bitcoin is information on a publicly shared ledger. Good luck making that illegal at the Supreme Court Level. Bitcoin is akin to language, protected by the 1st amendement.

its just that we decided those strings of characters on that ledger are valuable. Books are valuable too :0

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    Bitcoin is information on a publicly shared ledger. Good luck making that illegal at the Supreme Court Level. Bitcoin is akin to language, protected by the 1st amendement.
    @Mordan,
    I wasn't talking about making Bitcoin illegal.
    I was talking about making its use as a currency illegal.
    (Like they are doing currently in China, for example: trading is allowed, buying goods and services with it no.)

I wasn't talking about the USA, I was talking about Governments, plural.

USA: authorities have 1000 ways to prevent Bitcoin to become a viable widespread currency without having to make it illegal, for example through tax laws, so the 1st amendment doesn't matter

@Mordan,
    I wasn't talking about making Bitcoin illegal.
    I was talking about making its use as a currency illegal.
    (Like they are doing currently in China, for example: trading is allowed, buying goods and services with it no.)

I wasn't talking about the USA, I was talking about Governments, plural.

USA: authorities have 1000 ways to prevent Bitcoin to become a viable widespread currency without having to make it illegal, for example through tax laws, so the 1st amendment doesn't matter
    So barter is illegal?

Maybe they can craft a law. But I doubt it. It is still the land of the free.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    Does an 80% price drop spell the end of Bitcoin?

https://3commas.io/
    As for me, Bitcoin is more then real currency with the great development. You can work here and get good income if you are aware on the area. Moreover, if you use special tools for your work, your income will increase more and more.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Bitcoin cannot just be taken like gold, in a physical sense.
    There's no need to take bitcoin; just control the things which one can buy with bitcoin.

For physical goods, which make up the vast majority of all goods, that's relatively easy to do.

Without the state's permission, bitcoin won't survive outside some niche markets, mostly for non-physical goods like music files.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    There's no need to take bitcoin; just control the things which one can buy with bitcoin.

For physical goods, which make up the vast majority of all goods, that's relatively easy to do.

Without the state's permission, bitcoin won't survive outside some niche markets, mostly for non-physical goods like music files.
    The government can't confiscate bitcoin.. How do you imagine that mechanism would work??

As for not allowing it's use, how many 'states' are there (not US states, like, all states)?

Do you know how those balloons work that they make different animals with?

Yes, a single government, or multiple governments can make it difficult to use bitcoin. But what does that do? It shows people that the establishment doesn't want it, and puts more pressure in other areas of use (both geographically and otherwise)

I have no idea why you think bitcoin is going to be useful for buying music files.. People transfer digital assets all the time for pretty much everything. Crypto is the future, and right now bitcoin is digital gold.
    Last edited by dannno; 06-22-2019 at 10:53 PM.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The government can't confiscate bitcoin.. How do you imagine that mechanism would work??
    I just said in the post you're quoting that they don't need to confiscate bitcoin.

Yes, a single government, or multiple governments can make it difficult to use bitcoin. But what does that do?
    Make bitcoin considerably less useful as a medium of exchange

I have no idea why you think bitcoin is going to be useful for buying music files..
    Assuming the anonymizing technology works, the weakness (as to preventing detection) lies in the physical supply chain for the goods.

Clandestinely selling cars, for example, requires warehouses, lots, in-person delivery or pick-up, etc.

This isn't a problem for MP3s or other non-physical goods.

I just said in the post you're quoting that they don't need to confiscate bitcoin.

Make bitcoin considerably less useful as a medium of exchange

Assuming the anonymizing technology works, the weakness (as to preventing detection) lies in the physical supply chain for the goods.

Clandestinely selling cars, for example, requires warehouses, lots, in-person delivery or pick-up, etc.

This isn't a problem for MP3s or other non-physical goods.
    So you ignore the main crux of the argument and argue against everything else, out of context... good job

Crypto isn't just available in the US, it's available globally. Knock it down in one place, it's going to be that much more attractive for people in other places.. and the place where they cracked down as well, in the longrun.

So you ignore the main crux of the argument and argue against everything else, out of context... good job
    ...?

What did I ignore or take out of context?

...?

What did I ignore or take out of context?
    Are you Britney Spears?

Crypto isn't just available in the US, it's available globally. Knock it down in one place, it's going to be that much more attractive for people in other places.. and the place where they cracked down as well, in the longrun.

Okay, and?

As I said in my original response, outlawing bitcoin anywhere will make bitcoin less valuable.

Above you claim that outlawing bitcoin would be good for bitcoin, because magic.

Suffice it to say, I disagree (as should have been obvious).

Okay, and?

As I said in my original response, outlawing bitcoin anywhere will make bitcoin less valuable.

Above you claim that outlawing bitcoin would be good for bitcoin, because magic.

Suffice it to say, I disagree (as should have been obvious).
    Uh, no, it makes it more valuable... because, perception.. and geography.. and the sheer magnitude of everywhere else in the world that didn't do it that day..

Uh, no, it makes it more valuable... because, perception.. and geography.. and the sheer magnitude of everywhere else in the world that didn't do it that day..
    The value of a currency is determined by what can be bought with it.

This is why, for example, it would be very bad news for the dollar if it were dropped by the foreign countries that currently use it.

The same applies to bitcoin.

No, it's determined by the market.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, it's determined by the market.
    Of course, but we can make some pretty sound predictions about how market actors are likely to behave.

For instance, if I print up some r3v bucks, exchangeable only for stuff in my refrigerator, odds are very few people are going to buy them.

Once my refrigerator is empty, odds are no one is going to buy them.

Of course, but we can make some pretty sound predictions about how market actors are likely to behave.

For instance, if I print up some r3v bucks, exchangeable only for stuff in my refrigerator, odds are very few people are going to buy them.

Once my refrigerator is empty, odds are no one is going to buy them.
    That is a horrible analogy.

That is a horrible analogy.
    Rev 3.0 hardware is overheating. The level of insanity of his posts went significantly up just recently.

Good remark r3, this is the point.

The original thesis was, Govs can't confiscate bitcoin, as if this were an advantage of Btc vs. gold.

The question: can the Gov confiscate Btc? is meaningless.
    The main question is: can the Gov prevent Btc from being used?

This is the main question because preventing Btc from being used in order to buy things brings out the same results as of confiscating it.

There is x.
    The value of x consists in deploying it in order to reach a goal.
    Question: Can the Gov confiscate x?
    Who cares.
    This is a meaningless question.
    The main question is, can the Gov block its deployment? as in: "You can keep your x at home. No problem. Just don't use it.")
    If the Gov can block its deployment, x becomes useless.

Some people probably feel that keeping a non-confiscated but deployment-blocked, valueless x is better than having it confiscated ("I don't care if I can't use it. It's still mine and I can keep it"), but we are talking about the role of Btc and gold within the financial system, not about individual feelings.

Comparing Btc with gold, we were comparing their potential role as currencies.

Gold can become valueless as currency, if the Gov decide to (e.g. through confiscation).
    Bitcoin can become valueless as currency, if the Gov decide to (e.g. through declaring its deployment illegal).

When you compare Btc vs. gold as money, the main question is if the Gov can block them from being currencies, not if the Gov can confiscate them.

So, can the Gov confiscate gold?
    Yes.
    Can the Gov confiscate Btc?
    No.
    Does that matter in comparing Btc and gold as potential currencies?
    No.

In comparing Btc and gold, what matters then?
    What matters is the possibility of the Gov to block them from being deployed as currencies.
    Under this perspective, is Btc better than gold?
    No
    Why not?
    I give up

On the other hand, let's consider gold and Bitcoin not as money but as investments
    In this case, the possibility of confiscation is relevant.
    "Gold can be confiscated, Bitcoin can't."
    Is it true?

Gold confiscation means the Gov going for gold depositories, vaults... etc., not search warranting private houses.
    Same with Bitcoin: Gov going for Exchanges, forcing public or major entities (banks, funds...) to hand out their Bitcoins (e.g. they have declared them on their balance sheets), leaving private wallets alone.

So, under the point of view of the confiscation possibility, is Bitcoin superior to gold?
    I don't think so

So, under the point of view of the confiscation possibility, is Bitcoin superior to gold?
    I don't think so
    Bitcoin has advantages over gold in some areas, and gold has advantages over bitcoin in other areas.

They should both be legal to use, and in a free market both crypto and gold would absolutely be valued and used as payments.

By the way, when we compare precious metals and Bitcoins, let's not forget that there is not only gold.
    There is, e.g., silver too.

So, again, under the point of view of the confiscability, is Bitcoin superior to silver? as in "Silver can be confiscated, Bitcoin can't"?
    Confiscating silver? e.g., as in silverware?

By the way, when we compare precious metals and Bitcoins, let's not forget that there is not only gold.
    There is, e.g., silver too.

So, again, under the point of view of the confiscability, is Bitcoin superior to silver? as in "Silver can be confiscated, Bitcoin can't"?
    Confiscating silver? e.g., as in silverware?
    I'm talking about everything, all qualities.. not just confiscation. You can't tell me that if one person lives in Hong Kong and another person lives in Costa Rica and they want make a large transaction quickly that gold is going to be a better option for payment..

Bitcoin is also a little better than gold and silver for government confiscation because the government can seize your metals and you might not ever get it back.

With bitcoin, the government of a country can make it illegal.. but that doesn't squash bitcoin.. it would still have value, and you would still hold it.. then EVERY government on earth would have to make it illegal.. and if EVERY government on earth made it illegal, except for ONE government.. and if that country was decent size and bitcoin became the dominant currency.. it would still be worth much more than it is today.. and that country would prosper, and other countries would see what a great option it is, and they would fight revolutions to make it legal in their country, if that's what it took. Or they would just refuse to vote for anybody who didn't want to legalize it if that is an option.
    Last edited by dannno; 06-28-2019 at 11:12 AM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123