Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump: Tariffs To Help Pay Down our Debt

Trump: Tariffs To Help Pay Down our Debt

He must be anticipating some seriously massive tariffs. The deficit next year is expected to hit $1 trillion (over $800 billion in the FY ending in October). You have to get rid of that before you can pay down any of the debt. Tariffs currently estimated to bring in $152 billion (and that still leaves $1 trillion short so we need about ten times more). https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-feder...akdown-3305789

US imports were about $2.4 trillion last year so we would need like 50% tariffs on everything imported to start to pay down any of the debt.

Tariffs are paid for by US consumers and producers.

If you wanted to get rid of our debt, you would need to take in an average of $1 trillion more a year than you spend for the next 25 years. Instead it is expected to grow with the tax cuts and increased spending Congress passed and Trump signed.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-06-2018 at 04:26 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Start" paying down debt. Hopefully soon we will raise tariffs times ten to cover the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    "Start" paying down debt. Hopefully soon we will raise tariffs times ten to cover the rest.
    Good God Philip, that kool aid u just downed was meant for the whole Trump rally attendees and you just sat there and drank it all. Now you are starting to sound like a crazy person

This place has changed

Anyone who believes a govt who is busy creating more debt, has to raise the debt ceiling to pay the interest on the debt, continues to increase taxes on his tax base is going to reduce the debt, is a kool aid drinker.

Yum. It's lemon lime.

Lol. The only way the debt may go down is because inflation devalues the dollar so fast that 20 trillion seems like a bargain vacation.

Governments love inflation!!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Oh, another Zip trolling thread!

Anyway, speaking of Kool-Aid, did you literally drink Kool Aid as a kid? Is there a direct relationship between the Kool Aid you literally drank as a drink and the Kool Aid you literally drink as an adult? Should this be studied by our fine universities?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

How will the tariffs pay down the debt if they're just a negotiating tactic and we're going to get rid of them soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

At this point it is hard to picture the debt ever decreasing by a significant amount , it was kind of fun though to here him say it .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    At this point it is hard to picture the debt ever decreasing by a significant amount , it was kind of fun though to here him say it .
    He literally said, “My tax increase was so huge, the government’s gonna be rolling in money!!” If that ain’t the progressive mindset...

Oh what fun!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

How progressive of you.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    How progressive of you.
    Ya gotta break some eggs to make an omelet. Status Quo wasn't workin'.

Forgive me... You aren't advocating for the status quo?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Forgive me... You aren't advocating for the status quo?
    Tariffing the $#@! out of foreign competitors so they'll come to the re-negotiation table. No. I wouldn't say that has been status-quo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    How will the tariffs pay down the debt if they're just a negotiating tactic and we're going to get rid of them soon?
    Because when our economy grows from having fair trade deals we will have more tax revenue.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Spending is most important but shifting taxation to tariffs/growing the economy through tariffs or fair trade will help.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Spending is most important but shifting taxation to tariffs/growing the economy through tariffs or fair trade will help.
    If you have tariffs, you don't have fair trade. If you have fair trade and no tariffs, you have no revenues from tariffs.

But if you are serious about this tariff thing and want to finance our current spending with them, you need a 200% tariff on every item we currently import. And that is a very long ways from "free trade".

Our current tariffs bring in about $150 billion a year. We spend more than twice that just on interest on the debt.

EU tariffs are about the same as our average across all goods of 1.6%. Canada is about half ours. (many items have zero tariffs on them- some will have higher tariffs than others).

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-06-2018 at 07:28 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If you have tariffs, you don't have fair trade. If you have fair trade and no tariffs, you have no revenues from tariffs.

But if you are serious about this "don't really worry about spending" thing and want to finance it with tariffs, you need a 200% tariff on every item we currently import. And that is a very long ways from "free trade".
    I said spending is most important, that means we need to cut it, shifting taxation to tariffs/growing the economy through tariffs or fair trade are two different options that depend on how our trade opponents act.

I also believe that all countries should have low tariffs for most or all of their taxation needs after cutting spending to the bone but they can negotiate bilateral agreements to have the same low tariff rate in each direction.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Because when our economy grows from having fair trade deals we will have more tax revenue.
    Genius!!!

Genius!!!
    Very Stable Genius.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Bernie, is that you???

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Bernie, is that you???
    Our economy won't grow if other countries lower or eliminate tariffs on our goods?
    Where do you go to learn economics? I want to avoid ever going there or sending any children I may have there.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So abolish the income tax and fund the government with tariffs and user fees, just as Ron Paul advocated.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

But if you are serious about this tariff thing and want to finance our current spending with them, you need a 200% tariff on every item we currently import. And that is a very long ways from "free trade".

Our current tariffs bring in about $150 billion a year. We spend more than twice that just on interest on the debt.

EU tariffs are about the same as our average across all goods of 1.6%. Canada is about half ours. (many items have zero tariffs on them- some will have higher tariffs than others).

Maybe that is his plan . Enough to cover interest .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    So abolish the income tax and fund the government with tariffs and user fees, just as Ron Paul advocated.
    Has Donald Trump advocated this?

Or does he advocate expanding the size and scope of government and ignorantly think tariffs are going to pay more than a marginal point or two of the respective debt?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has Donald Trump advocated this?

Or does he advocate expanding the size and scope of government and ignorantly think tariffs are going to pay more than a marginal point or two of the respective debt?
    I think he is pushing for what can be realistically accomplished. He knows we can never pay off the debt so the best option is to regain economic and manufacturing superiority so when we default on all of our foreign creditors, we are not totally decimated. Peter Schiff talks the same way, we have to stop spending and consuming, we have to be saving and producing.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    I think he is pushing for what can be realistically accomplished. He knows we can never pay off the debt so the best option is to regain economic and manufacturing superiority so when we default on all of our foreign creditors, we are not totally decimated. Peter Schiff talks the same way, we have to stop spending and consuming, we have to be saving and producing.
    Peter Schiff talks about saving and producing, not about protectionist tariffs supposedly helping to regain American manufacturing superiority.

That which is seen vs. that which is unseen and the created/lost jobs are merely transferred across sectors.

Peter Schiff talks about saving and producing, not about protectionist tariffs supposedly helping to regain American manufacturing superiority.

That which is seen vs. that which is unseen and the created/lost jobs are merely transferred across sectors.
    And that's where Schiff falls short IMO. He constantly warns and understands the calamity is coming, but never talks about what comes after.

Sounds like "you've got to abandon the free market in order to preserve it". I wonder who said that?

Oh boy, Philip you are regressive, your old self would be very disappointed with what you have become

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Sounds like "you've got to abandon the free market in order to preserve it". I wonder who said that?

Oh boy, Philip you are regressive, your old self would be very disappointed with what you have become

And we are soooo close to having a Liberty oriented Legislative, Executive and Judiciary that in a mere 2000yrs. we would could cry

FREEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!

Nope. Burn it down.

Playing around with tariffs and tax cuts are just a distraction. The only thing that is going to actually fix the economy is to reduce spending. When we get the next debt induced crash it's going to get blamed on the tariffs and tax cuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast