Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What In The World Is Wrong With American Kids?

Working with the public, I personally see it getting worse by the day. I am currently a waiter while I finish school and I cannot tell you the amount of times each day I shake my head at terrible parenting. We literally have had kids running through the restaurant running into my co-workers and disturbing the other guests' meals and the parents couldn't give a $#@!. Kids jumping up and down in booths and screaming, completely misbehaving and the parents do NOTHING. One time my manager told a couple that they needed to get their child under control because it was a hazard, but they didn't do anything. So next thing you know, a busser is walking by with an arm full of plates and the kid runs into him knocking him down, which caused broken plates to slice his leg wide open. Our staff was visibly pissed while the medics stretchered him out of there. Another thing I see is kids completely ignoring what their parents say because the family can't go out to dinner without bringing a video player or a game for them to cram their face into. It bums me out.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickels View Post
    That's like, the first and pretty much only thing I asked for.

So your interpretation based on a person's opinion of reality makes more sense then people who actually know numbers, facts, data...etc?

But not all. So you still have yet to make a case. Yes, statistics can be manipulated, but give me the best you got, even if it goes against your argument, I want you to tell me why you believe the exact opposite of a statistical finding.

Let's try this
    1. can you find me 2 countries which are completely equal, but vastly different on either education or government role on children
    2. If so, can you tell me how you measure the "well off, worse off" the children are, forget anybody else's findings, I'll let you draw that conclusion.

So there, you only have to find ONE statistic, if you're going to tell me you can't find ONE good statistic on government involvement and public education among countries, then I really have no reason to take you seriously.

Which is all the more reason why you're convinced your ideals are perfect, because it's never been tested, therefore never proven wrong?

based on his opinions.

Ok, I see what you are doing...

1. Equality doesn't exist in individuals let alone whole countries.
    2. You can't "measure" this. Economics is not an empirical science. Child A can not be said to be not 2.5 times better off than Child B.

Your "tested" and "proven" bias gives you away. You are wanting to apply positivist approaches to Praxeological questions. It's simply inappropriate application; an incorrect means.

Is a child better off being fed a steady diet of lies and fallacies (which public school is notorious for) all his life, which cause him to error more than he would otherwise, or is he worse off had he been told the truth in which he had the opportunity to avoid some, not all, of the errors?

Is a child better off for being taught to be productive; to save and invest in his future, or is he better or worse off if he is told to spend every cent he has and borrowing himself into bondage to be a good democratic citizen?

Is a child better off for being taught Austrian economics in school, or is he better off learning Keynesian economics? Both lines of thought do not produce the same outcomes. In fact, setting ones actions to the Keynesian line of thought has led the children of the world to the brink of financial serfdom.

Your fanatical belief in statistics and empirical methods; testing and proving, will do no good in the world of economical problems.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    do you have data to back this up? or is that just your ideological assumption?
    Did you know that family court started out as eugenics court?
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I blame it on safety regulations. Before they came around, if you were stupid you got injured or even killed for doing something dumb. Now you really have to work at it. If you were killed or maimed, you couldn't breed and pass on the dumbness genes. Now they are allowed to multiply.
    +rep for channeling your inner George Carlin
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    Ok, I see what you are doing...

1. Equality doesn't exist in individuals let alone whole countries.
    So MLK and Thomas Jefferson are wrong?

2. You can't "measure" this. Economics is not an empirical science. Child A can not be said to be not 2.5 times better off than Child B.
    WOW, thanks for such an admission. Somehow you are still convinced that less government will be better for sure, even though you admit there no science to measure this.

Your "tested" and "proven" bias gives you away. You are wanting to apply positivist approaches to a Praxeological questions. It's simply inappropriate application; an incorrect means.
    Guilty as charged, I am instead supposed to just take one guy's book's word for it?

Is a child better off being fed a steady diet of lies and fallacies (which public school is notorious for) all his life, which cause him to error more than he would otherwise, or is he worse off had he been told the truth in which he had the opportunity to avoid some, not all, of the errors?
    I can answer this if I know what you mean by better or worse first (but I don't think you'll take me up).

Is a child better off for being taught to be productive; to save and invest in his future, or is he better or worse off if he is told to spend every cent he has and borrowing himself into bondage to be a good democratic citizen?
    If those are the only two options, I don't know. There's nothing wrong with spending if you have enough. There's nothing good about saving or investing until you know what you are saving and investing for.

Is a child better off for being taught Austrian economics in school, or is he better off learning Keynesian economics?
    Economics is not an empirical science according to you, so you tell me.

Both lines of thought do not produce the same outcomes. In fact, setting ones actions to the Keynesian line of thought has led the children of the world to the brink of financial serfdom.

Your fanatical belief in statistics and empirical methods; testing and proving, will do no good in the world of economical problems.
    So what WOULD do good in the world of economic problems? And why should I trust your suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Did you know that family court started out as eugenics court?
    they were making sure people didn't commit incest?

*facepalm*
    I am the spoon.

So MLK and Thomas Jefferson are wrong?

WOW, thanks for such an admission. Somehow you are still convinced that less government will be better for sure, even though you admit there no science to measure this.

Guilty as charged, I am instead supposed to just take one guy's book's word for it?

I can answer this if I know what you mean by better or worse first (but I don't think you'll take me up).

If those are the only two options, I don't know. There's nothing wrong with spending if you have enough. There's nothing good about saving or investing until you know what you are saving and investing for.

Economics is not an empirical science according to you, so you tell me.

So what WOULD do good in the world of economic problems? And why should I trust your suggestion?

Here is a data and bar chart report from the CATO institute
    ...It backs up what I say...but of course another body can interpret the data and explain away the differences...Or better yet, simply compile their own data to say what ever they wish.

They are acting like and emulating the biggest and most diffuse influence in their lives: the state. The state schooled and taught them violence and welfare are the divine right of the most rigorous people to ever walk the Earth. Easy Bernanke money lets them enjoy the rewards of production while not having to be productive.

Debasing the currency of a nation is tantamount to debasing its moral foundation...

Sorry to say, the state that occupies America is a fascist warmongering imperialistic nation of righteous and arrogant busybodies. Bullies, blowhards and ignoramuses that preach "world democracy", which is nothing more than a soft form of communism.

Absolutely agree. There is no virtue in dishonest scales. Everyone is affected by the immorality because everyone is forced to transact with a system of debasement.

I'd like to know what happened between my generation and this one. When I was a kid, my parents basically kicked me out of the house and made me go play in the woods until it was either meal time or it was getting dark.

I'd be absolutely terrified to do the same to my children, and I have no idea why. My parents were very good parents, but I feel like if I gave my children the same freedoms I enjoyed, I'd be a bad parent.

Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post
    I'd like to know what happened between my generation and this one. When I was a kid, my parents basically kicked me out of the house and made me go play in the woods until it was either meal time or it was getting dark.

I'd be absolutely terrified to do the same to my children, and I have no idea why. My parents were very good parents, but I feel like if I gave my children the same freedoms I enjoyed, I'd be a bad parent.

Weird.
    My guess it is the media and all the child protection agencies who are most often run by women who don't have kids but keep little mouse sized dogs at home.The other day there was a 2 hour debate about how letting your kids play in mud or grass can get them killed and how instead they should play games that will challenge their intelligence.

I will be sharing this with our 15 year old son. Thanks for posting.

I'm thinking the prevention of interracial marriage.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Most children today are just doing what they have been taught. The older generation is just as selfish and rude and greedy. That's where they get it from. The adults of this country are to blame, not the children.

I honestly can't believe that someone posting in this place said it's because we are more free. I think you may want to try posting in a different forums, lol. I doubt many here would agree that we are more free. In fact we are fight for our freedoms, which we have few of let.

I have had many arguments wih my grandfather about the "youngsters" today and how they are so immoral, I finally got him to realize how immoral most adults are and that helped him to realize children are just a product of that. When the leaders of this country become more moral, and other adults, I have a feeling the children will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    My guess it is the media and all the child protection agencies who are most often run by women who don't have kids but keep little mouse sized dogs at home.The other day there was a 2 hour debate about how letting your kids play in mud or grass can get them killed and how instead they should play games that will challenge their intelligence.
    My mother wouldn't let me play in the mud when I was a kid, so I got even by joining the Army.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I just don't think your average modern person has any foundation for acting better.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by moreliberty View Post
    Most children today are just doing what they have been taught. The older generation is just as selfish and rude and greedy. That's where they get it from. The adults of this country are to blame, not the children.

I honestly can't believe that someone posting in this place said it's because we are more free. I think you may want to try posting in a different forums, lol. I doubt many here would agree that we are more free. In fact we are fight for our freedoms, which we have few of let.

I have had many arguments wih my grandfather about the "youngsters" today and how they are so immoral, I finally got him to realize how immoral most adults are and that helped him to realize children are just a product of that. When the leaders of this country become more moral, and other adults, I have a feeling the children will follow.
    Two words. Baby boomers, AKA Wards of the Ever Growing State. So we really shouldn't be surprised that collectively their progeny are headcases.

I blame it on safety regulations. Before they came around, if you were stupid you got injured or even killed for doing something dumb. Now you really have to work at it. If you were killed or maimed, you couldn't breed and pass on the dumbness genes. Now they are allowedencouraged to multiply.
    Slight correction
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They are acting like and emulating the biggest and most diffuse influence in their lives: the state. The state schooled and taught them violence and welfare are the divine right of the most rigorous people to ever walk the Earth. Easy Bernanke money lets them enjoy the rewards of production while not having to be productive.

Debasing the currency of a nation is tantamount to debasing its moral foundation...

Sorry to say, the state that occupies America is a fascist warmongering imperialistic nation of righteous and arrogant busybodies. Bullies, blowhards and ignoramuses that preach "world democracy", which is nothing more than a soft form of communism.
    + Rep
    Wish I could rep this more than once. I hope you dont mind, but I'm going to share this quote as it nails it on the head.

I blame it on safety regulations. Before they came around, if you were stupid you got injured or even killed for doing something dumb. Now you really have to work at it. If you were killed or maimed, you couldn't breed and pass on the dumbness genes. Now they are allowed to multiply.
    Didn't think I'd ever +rep you Zippy, but I just did. I say this all the damn time, let stupidity wean it'self out of the gene pool. LOL

Weird.
    Fear... That's what happened, FEAR. Movies/games/tv/news... all media sensaionalized violence and 'stranger danger' to a point that we as a society are afraid to talk to our neighbors and build the bonds that were imperitave to survive upon a time. Without that community bond, and with the errosion Awake spoke of earlier, it's been a downward spiral, fast.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    Didn't think I'd ever +rep you Zippy, but I just did. I say this all the damn time, let stupidity wean it'self out of the gene pool. LOL
    lolz...that kind of brings back the "nature vs nurture" debate, it seems. Are stupid people necessarily stupid because they were born that way or because they were taught to be stupid? I'm inclined to believe the latter in most cases now. One of my aunts had 2 daughters. One turned out quite "normal" and the other got knocked up and became a drug addict/thief who stole from her parents every chance she could to get more drugs. My sister is obese, lazy, and can't get along with other people. She would be homeless if left to herself (she currently lives with our parents because she's not able to keep a full-time job and support herself.) I'm the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    Zippy:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Economics IS science, and Austrian Economics has by far the best assessment of the effects of government on the populace.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

As a product of public schooling, of which so many of you despise, I can tell you upfront that its not our schools creating such monsters. Nobody is taught to 'spend all of your money and go into debt to be a good consumer'. History never taught you to 'shut up and know your place'. That is utter bull$#@!, and I'm incredibly offended that anyone would believe such crap. Not all teachers are great, and 'teaching to the test' curriculum doesn't help, but in general most of the teachers/professors I had were good people who believed they were trying to do a service to the community. Instead there are two areas I would point my finger at:

(a) External factors, be it family values, time with family, financial situations at home, etc. It's nearly a proven fact that students with a stable and supportive home-life are better able to concentrate and challenge themselves at school. There are a lot of opportunities to be had at a school, regardless of its 'public'ness. When students choose NOT to challenge themselves, to take the barebones, the easiest classes, that is when disaster strikes. I've been in a couple of these classes and while I wouldn't say they were mind-numbing, it was close. Worksheets, boring course-work, boring teacher, rote memorization. This is the student's choice though. Which leads me to...

(b) Public schools are now deathly afraid of failing students. Now that school funding is so tied to statistics, performance on tests, and graduations rates, schools are encouraged to make a Curriculum for Everybody! As long as people under the age of 18 are sitting in the building and can answer a set of standardized test questions, nobody loses their job and nobody takes a paycut.

So what you get are many students unable or unwilling to challenge themselves, due to familial, societal, or personal factors, getting stuck in this cycle of moronic curriculum that's goal is to keep you there so that the school doesn't lose funding. Blame federal standardization, blame the idiocy of educational bureaucracy, blame teacher's unions, blame today's economic pressures on a family, and blame the student for not trying hard enough, but don't bastardize an entire system that's meaning today is perhaps very different from when it was founded. If you send your child to public school, she will not become a government slave and taught to worship constant warfare and welfare. Teachers are not taught to indoctrinate children to be servile pieces of meat. I swear, its like some of you are home-schooled or something!
    Last edited by RabbitMan; 07-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Kids these days! Man, when I was growing up, things were different....."

This mantra has been repeated for generations.

Weird.

?
    I am the spoon.

What happened?

Nothing happened to the children.

It's just that all of the adults suffer from this early form of Alzheimer's disease which is commonly called 'nostalgia'
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Why are kids so horrible today?

The PARENTS... or lack there of.

People can blame culture, games, schools, etc... but at the end of the day it comes down to the parents not doing their jobs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast