Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There Are No Virtuous Non Christians

There Are No Virtuous Non Christians

Romans 14:23b

For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.
    Many people tell you that atheists or other non-Christian religious people can have virtue or act virtuously. The Bible totally rejects it. Anything that doesn't come from faith is sin.
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 06-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Many people tell you that atheists or other non-Christian religious people can have virtue or act virtually. The Bible totally rejects it. Anything that doesn't come from faith is sin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Because I had a sneaky suspicion you were indulging in your favorite pastime which is pluck a verse out of context and condemn the rest of humankind with it. Lo and behold, I was right
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

John 8:7
    So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone

Also: you have used the word "virtually" when I think the word you want is "virtuously".

Whenever a person acts out of LOVE, He is acting in a Godly manner, for God IS Love.
    Jesus two commands focused on LOVE.
    If you love your neighbor as yourself, (which Jesus preached) there is no NEED for the law.

Love is the key, man. I'm tellin ya.

1 Corinthians 13 - In my eyes, one of the most powerful and beautiful things in the bible. It's what Jesus preached about, and it is what it says GOD ACTUALLY IS: LOVE. LOVE = The most powerful force in the universe. It will one day overcome every last bit of darkness in each of us. That's how powerful it is. Have faith. It's not about judging others and condemning others, it's about finding the truth of just what LOVE (God) will ultimately accomplish in us. Even the worst among us. Have faith.

1 Corinthians 13
    If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Read it again and again and until the revelation sinks into your soul and takes hold.

Just some thoughts.
    peace...
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 06-16-2017 at 05:56 AM.

There Are No Virtuous Non Christians
    YES, THERE ARE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Many people tell you that atheists or other non-Christian religious people can have virtue or act virtually. The Bible totally rejects it. Anything that doesn't come from faith is sin.
    What do you care?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    John 8:7
    So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone

Also: you have used the word "virtually" when I think the word you want is "virtuously".
    Ugh... Yes... Auto correct on this phone...

19. It has always puzzled me that so many religious people have taken it for granted that God favors those who believe in him. Isn’t it possible that the actual God is a scientific God who has little patience with beliefs founded on faith rather than evidence?

21. A delightful counterexample to the attitude described in §19 is that of a Protestant minister I once knew who said to me, “Why is it that the best people I know are atheists?”
    “How do you expect to convert them that way?” I asked.
    “Convert them?” he replied. “Who wants to convert them?

Raymond Smullyan, 5000 B.C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies (1983)
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Whenever a person acts out of LOVE, He is acting in a Godly manner, for God IS Love.
    Jesus two commands focused on LOVE.
    If you love your neighbor as yourself, (which Jesus preached) there is no NEED for the law.

Love is the key, man. I'm tellin ya.

1 Corinthians 13 - In my eyes, one of the most powerful and beautiful things in the bible. It's what Jesus preached about, and it is what it says GOD ACTUALLY IS: LOVE. LOVE = The most powerful force in the universe. It will one day overcome every last bit of darkness in each of us. That's how powerful it is. Have faith. It's not about judging others and condemning others, it's about finding the truth of just what LOVE (God) will ultimately accomplish in us. Even the worst among us. Have faith.

1 Corinthians 13
    If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Read it again and again and until the revelation sinks into your soul and takes hold.

Just some thoughts.
    peace...
    No. That is simply incorrect, as the verse in the OP clearly says. Whatever doesn't come from faith is sin, including the 'love' that a non Christian person can have for another. It's actually a deformed love, or hate, because it is antinomIan. And whatever is not according to God's law is sin.

No. That is simply incorrect, as the verse in the OP clearly says. Whatever doesn't come from faith is sin, including the 'love' that a non Christian person can have for another. It's actually a deformed love, or hate, because it is antinomIan. And whatever is not according to God's law is sin.
    Hi Sola_Fide,
    We're walking together down a path and there is a curve in the road, there is something beyond that curve that is so beautiful, you will fall to your knees in awe. Right now it is obscured by that curve in the road. I know that it is there, waiting for you to discover. But I can't walk the path for you. We each have our own path to discovery. I wish you well on your path. You may want to ponder what it is that you have faith IN. For me, I have personally come to discover God's immense love for each and everyone of us. Every knee shall bow... Love overcomes ALL. Love is the single most powerful transformational force in the universe. It is who God IS.

"ye of little faith" --- indeed. That can be said for most of us. If only we understood truly.

peace..
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 06-16-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Many people tell you that atheists or other non-Christian religious people can have virtue or act virtuously. The Bible totally rejects it. Anything that doesn't come from faith is sin.
    What a bunch of divisive religious quackery...

One would only post such a divisive OP with the specific intention to provoke and piss off the 'non-christian' members of the forum. Jesus would be so proud.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Sola, would you be so kind as to clear up a few points for us, so that we might benefit from your wisdom?

Jesus was...
    A. So narcissistic that He worshipped Himself.
    B. A Jew, and therefore without virtue.
    C. An exception to Paul's ironclad rule, because rank has its privileges.

When Jesus said this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke 10
    25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
    ...it was...
    1. One of the lessons God felt is was so important for us to learn that He went to the trouble to take human form to teach it to us.
    2. Just a way to shut up a lawyer, and fill out a sermon.
    3. Unfathomable code, disguised as a fable so simple a child could divine its moral.

The Good Samaritan was...
    1. An example of how a land and culture which rejected any teaching of God at all, in a time when Christianity did not yet exist, could through a miracle of God produce a firm believer in every tenet of TULIP.
    2. A heathen whose imperfect love was good enough for Jesus to hold up to all the ages as a fine example of what we should be, but not good enough to get him into heaven, and not definable as virtue, because even though Jesus used it as an example of love, it was really hate.
    3. Unfathomable code.

When you decry antinomianism, you are saying...
    1. Faith does not compel us to obey God's Law, so we should work at obeying it.
    2. Faith does not compel us to obey God's Law, but working at obeying it is still an insult to Jesus' sacrifice for us.
    3. You are condemning antinomianism even though you believe in the stuff.

You are...
    1. Secure enough in your beliefs to address these questions.
    2. Going to ignore me, hope I go away, and repeat your blather in other threads that I have not polluted with passages from Luke.
    3. Determined to play God and condemn the majority of the world's population--out of your perfect love--no matter what anyone--including Jesus--says.

What do you make of this part of Romans 14?
    2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
    Why isn't this whole chapter, from which you snatched one verse out of context, Paul trying to say that criticizing that which you don't understand is not an act of love, and is therefore not an act of faith?

What Paul is trying to tell you, and you are trying desperately not to hear, is anything you do which shakes another person's faith, whether you understand the nature of that faith or not, is a sin.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 06-16-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

You are simply incorrect. You are making up sins that the Bible says do not exist. Sure, baking a pie for a sick neighbor isn't a ticket to heaven, but it is just as sincere and good coming from a Christian or a non Christian. Sinners repent of their sins, and love is not a sin. And when I say love I mean actual love towards others, not lust or whatever.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no Law.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Neither the Bible nor humanity "reject" that non-Christian people can have virtue...

First of all, the Bible does not actually define "Christian" and I sure would reject your definition...
    Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 06-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

If Sola was there when Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan...

Luke 10:36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
    Sola: "Now wait a minute there, Jesus. The Samaritan is going to hell because he showed love without having faith. You can't actually want me to go and do the same thing that sinner did without faith, do you? Do you even theology, Jesus? Read some Calvin, or Paul out of context, get with the program"

It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I nominate this thread for Worst.Thread.Ever.

Way to reach nonbelievers for God, by arrogantly condemning the rest of humankind, as James accurately put it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    If Sola was there when Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan...

Sola: "Now wait a minute there, Jesus. The Samaritan is going to hell because he showed love without having faith. You can't actually want me to go and do the same thing that sinner did without faith, do you? Do you even theology, Jesus? Read some Calvin, or Paul out of context, get with the program"

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to William Tell again.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I nominate this thread for Worst.Thread.Ever.
    Yep. I'm reminded of Matthew 7:5:
    First take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Yep. I'm reminded of Matthew 7:5:
    First take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
    Believe it or not, I was just reading Matthew 7, literally five minutes ago, (during my daily quiet time) and that verse also reminded me of the OP here. Unfortunately, it seems that Calvinists inevitably develop a certain pride, as they think they're "the elect" and everyone else is to be looked down upon, apparently.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

You are simply incorrect. You are making up sins that the Bible says do not exist. Sure, baking a pie for a sick neighbor isn't a ticket to heaven, but it is just as sincere and good coming from a Christian or a non Christian. Sinners repent of their sins, and love is not a sin. And when I say love I mean actual love towards others, not lust or whatever.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no Law.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Neither the Bible nor humanity "reject" that non-Christian people can have virtue...

First of all, the Bible does not actually define "Christian" and I sure would reject your definition...
    When the Bible says that anything that doesn't proceed from faith is a sin, how am I making up sins?
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 06-16-2017 at 03:03 PM.

"There Are No Virtuous Non Christians"

Jesus, the apostles, and his early disciples were not Christians. They were Jews.
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

When the Bible says that anything that doesn't proceed from faith is a sin, how am I making up sins?
    Dude, the verse I posted clearly says things like love are not sins. You are saying they are based on one verse you have taken out of context. It's up to you to prove that love is ever a sin. You can't, the entire point of the parable of the Good Samaritan was that loving God and your neighbor are the heart of Christianity and that snotty theologians should get off their asses and do something instead of talking crap about people who are actually living out God's law.

Again.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no Law.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Consider the possibility that the Scriptures are consistent, and you are just reading incorrectly. Maybe reading it with your preconceived notions rather than letting it speak.
    Good words, Sola.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

How about we read your quote in context?
    Romans 14:5-23 Some judge one day to be better than another, while others judge all days to be alike. Let all be fully convinced in their own minds. 6 Those who observe the day, observe it in honor of the Lord. Also those who eat, eat in honor of the Lord, since they give thanks to God; while those who abstain, abstain in honor of the Lord and give thanks to God. 7 We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to ourselves. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, so that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother or sister? Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God." 12 So then, each of us will be accountable to God. 13 Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another. 14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is being injured by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not let what you eat cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let your good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 The one who thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and has human approval. 19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. 20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for you to make others fall by what you eat; 21 it is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that makes your brother or sister stumble. 22 The faith that you have, have as your own conviction before God. Blessed are those who have no reason to condemn themselves because of what they approve. 23 But those who have doubts are condemned if they eat, because they do not act from faith; for whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.
    I underlined your quote so we could see it easier.

He is talking about doing things from faith when it comes to keeping another from stumbling.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    How about we read your quote in context?

I underlined your quote so we could see it easier.

He is talking about doing things from faith when it comes to keeping another from stumbling.
    +rep.

Sola should be ashamed for abusing scripture thusly and potentially causing others to stumble.

Total depravity is not biblical.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    +rep.

Sola should be ashamed for abusing scripture thusly and potentially causing others to stumble.

Sola is not ashamed. Sola glorifies in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Believe it or not, I was just reading Matthew 7, literally five minutes ago, (during my daily quiet time) and that verse also reminded me of the OP here. Unfortunately, it seems that Calvinists inevitably develop a certain pride, as they think they're "the elect" and everyone else is to be looked down upon, apparently.
    Unfortunately true. Proverbs 16:18 says: Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

And just before it in verse 22...

"Blessed are those who have no reason to condemn themselves because of what they approve."

That makes me "blessed" because I approve of all kinds of things you dont...

BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    +rep.

What do you think total depravity is? Because I'm sure you don't know. Many people don't. Total depravity is clearly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, taught everywhere in Scripture.

Dude, the verse I posted clearly says things like love are not sins. You are saying they are based on one verse you have taken out of context. It's up to you to prove that love is ever a sin. You can't, the entire point of the parable of the Good Samaritan was that loving God and your neighbor are the heart of Christianity and that snotty theologians should get off their asses and do something instead of talking crap about people who are actually living out God's law.

Again.
    The fruit of the..... what?

The Spirit, right? So those things are done in faith, which isn't sin. Everything that does not proceed from faith is sin.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast