Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jacob Hornberger Announces Run for Libertarian Presidential Nomination

Lightbulb Jacob Hornberger Announces Run for Libertarian Presidential Nomination

Jacob Hornberger Announces Run for Libertarian Party Presidential Nomination

In April, I wrote that it looked like Future of Freedom Foundation President Jacob Hornberger may run for president of the United States. As I noted then, many people familiar with the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity (RPI) have read some of Hornberger’s articles at the RPI website or watched one of his speeches at an RPI event. Here is an update: On Saturday, Hornberger announced he is seeking the Libertarian Party’s presidential nomination.

You can watch Hornberger’s presidential campaign announcement video here:

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I voted in the Libertarian primary I'd vote for him. Been subscribed to his FFF email list for years. The daily quote alone is worth the price alone. ($0). He's got a podcast with Richard Ebeling which is also good, even if it lacks the high production quality of some other liberty podcasts.

Here's Ron Paul's forward to his latest book.

Last edited by axiomata; 11-03-2019 at 11:58 PM.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Good luck to him on getting the nomination.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

written by adam dick - saturday november 2, 2019

In April, I wrote that it looked like Future of Freedom Foundation President Jacob Hornberger may run for president of the United States. As I noted then, many people familiar with the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity (RPI) have read some of Hornberger’s articles at the RPI website or watched one of his speeches at an RPI event. Here is an update: On Saturday, Hornberger announced he is seeking the Libertarian Party’s presidential nomination.

You can watch Hornberger’s presidential campaign announcement video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY9_eg2mPuc
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I watched his interview with Tom Woods.
    I like him. He is 100% right about our healthcare problem.
    But he lost me when he said he supports open borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    I watched his interview with Tom Woods.
    I like him. He is 100% right about our healthcare problem.
    But he lost me when he said he supports open borders.
    That open border stance loses me too.

He'll just waste a bunch of money and bleed-off some votes from the Rand camp should
    Rand Paul decide to run.

Full disclaimer in case anybody doesn't know that I am #TeamKokesh, but I'll vote for the Libertarian nominee no matter who it is.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @Sammy @Stratovarious

In case you haven't figured it out quite yet, you're going to get open borders whether you want them or not. Best to focus on other policy issues that aren't being directly dictated by the UN and the Vatican when evaluating candidates.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    @Sammy @Stratovarious

In case you haven't figured it out quite yet, you're going to get open borders whether you want them or not. Best to focus on other policy issues that aren't being directly dictated by the UN and the Vatican when evaluating candidates.
    Preaching surrender and doom for the Vatican eh?

We aren't doomed and will not surrender.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Preaching surrender and doom for the Vatican eh?

We aren't doomed and will not surrender.
    Grab yerself a rifle and head on down to the Rio Grande! No surrender, right?

smh

Delusional. Even with Trump acting like the border guard savior, nothing is changing and yet some still believe there's a chance that it will change. Focus on something you can influence, not a 3000 mile stretch that can not and never will be secured.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Grab yerself a rifle and head on down to the Rio Grande! No surrender, right?

smh

Delusional. Even with Trump acting like the border guard savior, nothing is changing and yet some still believe there's a chance that it will change. Focus on something you can influence, not a 3000 mile stretch that can not and never will be secured.
    It is changing and it will change far more and the border can easily be secured.
    But keep preaching surrender and doom for the Vatican.
    You might as well just go on to say that we should just surrender to their plans entirely since if we couldn't secure the border we couldn't impose any other piece of our agenda or resist any piece of theirs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is changing and it will change far more and the border can easily be secured.
    But keep preaching surrender and doom for the Vatican.
    You might as well just go on to say that we should just surrender to their plans entirely since if we couldn't secure the border we couldn't impose any other piece of our agenda or resist any piece of theirs.
    Part of growth is realizing what you can change and can not change. Maybe you will grow enough to learn that some day.

On original topic:
    Mr. Hornberger will be visiting with the local LP next month and I will likely go meet him. If anybody has any questions to ask, I'm happy to do it and report his answers and my thoughts on him. I may even venture into the world of video interviewing or something crazy like that.
    Last edited by devil21; 11-19-2019 at 10:16 PM.

I hope he gets the nomination.
    ‫‬‫‬

I wish him good luck on his campaign.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

While Hornberger is a fine proponent of libertarian ideals and Austrian Economics, his unreflected support of 'open borders' is problematic.

The current debate is not about the principle of open borders per-se ("do we like free movement") and it is either erroneous or malicious to claim that it is.

This is about an announced plan, implemented over decades, by the globalists to perform demographic replacement migration to european-dominant countries.

To bracket that out -- to frame the discussion either in the microscopic (those poor families) or the overbroad (but of course we all support freedom) is to deflect from the real problem:

For now and the forseeable future, the nations of Europe and the United States of America will continue to host a web of interventionist and welfare-state policies; until those are eliminated, no responsible libertarian can condone flooding his nation with migrants tending towards high time-preference, coming from low-trust (war-torn) environments and lacking marketable skills.

Immigration to current western countries must again be limited to those individuals who demonstrate that they bring the skills, attitudes, traditions and beliefs that are compatible with liberty and private property and the cultural framework of Western, European civilization.

Jacob would do well to at least acknowledge that,"Principled libertarians can have valid reasons for advocating a restrictive immigration policy under the statist status quo -- while preferring another policy or no territorial borders for their hypothetical libertarian society. These are two different social models and the policy you prefer for one can legitimately differ from the policy you advocate for the other."

If your gym club membership rules include the stipulation that every gym club member can take money from the wallet in your locker (should they feel or claim that they really need it), then you do have legitimate libertarian grounds to care about whether new members will be people who will take your money or not, until you can either get that rule changed or find another gym club that better respects property rights.

This objection, this completely obvious and mainstream objection to Hornberger's open-borders policy is the iceberg to his Titanic unless he corrects course.
    Last edited by merkelstan; 11-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    >_<

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While Hornberger is a fine proponent of libertarian ideals and Austrian Economics, his unreflected support of 'open borders' is problematic.

The current debate is not about the principle of open borders per-se ("do we like free movement") and it is either erroneous or malicious to claim that it is.

This is about an announced plan, implemented over decades, by the globalists to perform demographic replacement migration to european-dominant countries.

To bracket that out -- to frame the discussion either in the microscopic (those poor families) or the overbroad (but of course we all support freedom) is to deflect from the real problem:

For now and the forseeable future, the nations of Europe and the United States of America will continue to host a web of interventionist and welfare-state policies; until those are eliminated, no responsible libertarian can condone flooding his nation with migrants tending towards high time-preference, coming from low-trust (war-torn) environments and lacking marketable skills.

Immigration to current western countries must again be limited to those individuals who demonstrate that they bring the skills, attitudes, traditions and beliefs that are compatible with liberty and private property and the cultural framework of Western, European civilization.

Jacob would do well to at least acknowledge that,"Principled libertarians can have valid reasons for advocating a restrictive immigration policy under the statist status quo -- while preferring another policy or no territorial borders for their hypothetical libertarian society. These are two different social models and the policy you prefer for one can legitimately differ from the policy you advocate for the other."

If your gym club membership rules include the stipulation that every gym club member can take money from the wallet in your locker (should they feel or claim that they really need it), then you do have legitimate libertarian grounds to care about whether new members will be people who will take your money or not, until you can either get that rule changed or find another gym club that better respects property rights.

This objection, this completely obvious and mainstream objection to Hornberger's open-borders policy is the iceberg to his Titanic unless he corrects course.

(mods, can you merge the threads on Hornberger candidacy please?)
    >_<

Open borders, like private property, is a basic principle of freedom and liberty. It is unfortunate that today’s “republicans” and now many so-called libertarians can not stomach the thought of government not violating that basic principle right. Instead, they relish the thought that government should have that “limited” yet over growing power for the “greater good”, even while choking the freedom to travel freely, demand “papers please”, and taking property which rightfully belongs to individuals and businesses.

Ron Paul, Walter Block and other prominent advocates of liberty, including myself, do understand the ramifications of eminent domain, closed borders and the costs associated with it.

The question/message should not be about closed borders for the “greater good”, but rather government intrusion, theft and restriction of freedoms and free handouts. I hope Jacob brings this to the table to help educate and reverse the statist agenda. There is a distinct difference between private property where one can build a fence if he/she wishes at their own expense and public land which nobody owns and could be homesteaded.

Last edited by PAF; 11-24-2019 at 12:48 PM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

It's nice to see a princpled libertarian running taking principled positions as opposed to GOP positions.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    It's nice to see a princpled libertarian running taking principled positions as opposed to GOP positions.
    You can't take a principled position that destroys your principles in secondary and tertiary effects.

Hornberger's immigration stance says 'yes in principle I like freedom of movement, and i will not look to hinder the freedom of movement to my territorial region to enemies of me, my people, or my property or my rights'.

The consequences of this should be considered carefully.

"There is only one difference between a bad economist and a good one: the bad economist confines himself to the visible effect; the good economist takes into account both the effect that can be seen and those effects that must be foreseen.

Yet this difference is tremendous; for it almost always happens that when the immediate consequence is favorable, the later consequences are disastrous, and vice versa. Whence it follows that the bad economist pursues a small present good that will be followed by a great evil to come, while the good economist pursues a great good to come, at the risk of a small present evil." - Frédéric Bastiat
    Last edited by merkelstan; 11-24-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    >_<

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Open borders, like private property, is a basic principle of freedom and liberty.
    Nonsense. All property rights are exclusionary. I exclude you from trespassing. I exclude you from entering. I exclude you from taking. I exclude you from vandalizing.

Not only are property rights intimately tied to the concept of borders and bounds, but all civil society is.

You transgress a border when you chat with your neighbor in a movie theatre. You violate a border when you physically grab a stranger.

The unwelcome invasion of outside groups into a territory constitutes a cultural aggression, if not a military one.
    >_<

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    Nonsense. All property rights are exclusionary. I exclude you from trespassing. I exclude you from entering. I exclude you from taking. I exclude you from vandalizing.

Not only are property rights intimately tied to the concept of borders and bounds, but all civil society is.

You transgress a border when you chat with your neighbor in a movie theatre. You violate a border when you physically grab a stranger.

The unwelcome invasion of outside groups into a territory constitutes a cultural aggression, if not a military one.
    Time for you to study up. Yes, you speak about private property rights, but seem to not understand at a fundamental level. Start by reading my sig.

Open borders, like private property, is a basic principle of freedom and liberty.
    WRONG.

It never was and never will be.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And in a republic or a democracy it is a political aggression.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "I remember I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently." - Ron Paul on Meet The Press 23 Dec 2007
    >_<

And in a republic or a democracy it is a political aggression.
    Correct, the republic and/or the democracy being the political aggressor.

"I remember I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently." - Ron Paul on Meet The Press 23 Dec 2007
    "treat it differently", as in End All Incentives, NOT Eminent Domain of rightful Private Property and Berlin/China walls and "papers please" at tax payer expense.

This is the reason Common Core/FedDeptEd MUST be eliminated; to slow the rapid growth of brainwashed statists who serve the state.

Correct, the republic and/or the democracy being the political aggressor.
    LOL
    No way, the invaders are the aggressor.
    Anarchy would simply allow them to impose their rule on a vacuum.

"treat it differently", as in End All Incentives, NOT Eminent Domain of rightful Private Property and Berlin/China walls and "papers please" at tax payer expense.

This is the reason Common Core/FedDeptEd MUST be eliminated; to slow the rapid growth of brainwashed statists who serve the state.
    Liberty creates wealth, wealth attracts parasites and parasites destroy liberty, you can't and don't want to eliminate the primary incentive so you must secure the borders and limit immigration.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL
    No way, the invaders are the aggressor.
    Anarchy would simply allow them to impose their rule on a vacuum.

Liberty creates wealth, wealth attracts parasites and parasites destroy liberty, you can't and don't want to eliminate the primary incentive so you must secure the borders and limit immigration.
    Liberty does not create wealth, just as presidents don't make countries great again. People create wealth, and free people create the most wealth.

Free people also have a habit of welcoming immigration, as they need help creating that wealth. If Republicans worked half as hard at demanding their liberty as they do at being xenophobic, we might be free enough to be starved for employees.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Liberty does not create wealth, just as presidents don't make countries great again. People create wealth, and free people create the most wealth.
    Liberty creates wealth like oxygen creates life.

Free people also have a habit of welcoming immigration,
    A bad habit that undermines their freedom if they welcome too much, just like eating too much is a bad habit.

as they need help creating that wealth.
    No, they do not need help and they certainly don't need so much help that they lose their freedom.

If Republicans worked half as hard at demanding their liberty as they do at being xenophobic, we might be free enough to be starved for employees.
    LOL

Republicans have bent over backwards to immigrants and that is one reason they don't work hard enough at demanding liberty, the immigrants that do vote Republican tend to vote for the worst Republicans and Republicans think they have to appeal to immigrants and their anti-liberty cultures in order to win.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Post the whole quote if you're going to quote Dr. Paul. Don't cherry-pick one sentence.

The full quote, since some here cherry-pick that sentence to make it sound like he said something he didn't. He most certainly didn't approach it like the LP bashing Trumpers try to imply he did.

Quote Originally Posted by RP
    Q: When you ran for president in 1988, you said, “As in our country’s first 150 years, there shouldn’t be any immigration policy at all. We should welcome everyone who wants to come here and work.” You’ve changed your view.

A: And during that campaign I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently. My approach to immigration is somewhat different than the others. Mine is you deal with it economically We’re in worse shape now because we subsidize immigration. We give food stamps, Social Security, free medical care, free education and amnesty. So you subsidize it, and you have a mess. Conditions have changed. And I think this means that we should look at immigration differently. It’s an economic issue more than anything. If our economy was in good health, I don’t think there’d be an immigration problem. We’d be looking for workers and we would be very generous.
    No walls, no deportations, no ICE squads, no FEMA camps, etc.

Dr. Paul's full quote is very much in line with LP platform
    https://www.lp.org/platform

2.0 Economic Liberty

Libertarians want all members of society to have abundant opportunities to achieve economic success. A free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner. Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others on the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected. All efforts by government to redistribute wealth, or to control or manage trade, are improper in a free society.

2.4 Government Finance and Spending

All persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. We call for the repeal of the income tax, the abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We oppose any legal requirements forcing employers to serve as tax collectors. We support any initiative to reduce or abolish any tax, and oppose any increase on any tax for any reason. To the extent possible, we advocate that all public services be funded in a voluntary manner.
    Last edited by devil21; 12-01-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast