Thread: NAACP Leader: Preachers Praying With Trump 'Theological Malpractice Bordering on Heresy'

NAACP Leader: Preachers Praying With Trump 'Theological Malpractice Bordering on Heresy'

Toss-up where to post this fine peach....

I chose religion due to the evangelical slant....

NAACP Leader: Preachers Praying With Trump 'Theological Malpractice Bordering on Heresy'

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/1...-prayer-heresy

A North Carolina preacher who serves as the state's NAACP chair said the Twitter photo of Evangelical leaders "laying hands" on President Trump in prayer was "theological malpractice."

Rev. William Barber II, of the Greenleaf church in Goldsboro said the Evangelical leaders should not have "prayed" with Trump while he is "preying on the most vulnerable."

"You're violating the sacred principles of religion," Barber said, calling the incident "a form of theological malpractice bordering on heresy."

Barber took issue with Trump's support for the "very very very extreme agenda" of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) - chiefly the ObamaCare replacement bill.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unfortunately, the minister is not reading the Bible. Christians should pray for leaders and all in authority so that we may live quiet and peaceable lives. Praying with candidate Trump might have been a bit of a stretch, but prayer is always the first and best option for the Christian. Our church prays for the president, governor, mayor, and judiciary every week. They aren't always people I agree with, but it is still an obligation I have.

What is not okay is to lay all this pseudo theology and negativity over a grid of racism. Trump is not oppressing anyone. Our government is oppressing many. One of the things that kindles God's anger is the oppression of the poor. It has happened thoughout human history, and I doubt it will change. It is in the nature of people to seek power over others. There will be an end of it, and some will have a lot for which God will demand an account and render judgment.

Another class of people for whom God has compassion is widows and orphans. I think we are in big trouble here, because our government practically creates de facto widows and orphans by giving money to prevent the creation of nuclear and natural families. Just my take, ymmv.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

LOL @ "Rev" Barber.

Jesus had this to say about that.

They need to listen to Jesus....

Matthew 5:44-46 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? (NRS)

Leading people astray, they may not think anyone is paying attention but God is.

1 Peter 4:17
    “For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?”
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

He needs to lay off the television.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

NOT agreeing with the NAACP.

Praying for and praying with aren't the same thing. Praying with Trump, as if he is a true believer, might be questionable.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    NOT agreeing with the NAACP.

Praying for and praying with aren't the same thing. Praying with Trump, as if he is a true believer, might be questionable.
    Who are we to judge if he is a true believer?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Great point! I am all out of rep Doc.

Romans 14:4
    Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

There are plenty of people of various sects of Christianity who would gladly judge, condemn even......

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    There are plenty of people of various sects of Christianity who would gladly judge, condemn even......
    Christianity In Name Only. You shall know them by their fruit...

We can't judge infallibly, and its possible that all the evidence is wrong, and that he truly is. I'm willing to grant this.

But James 2 talks about works as evidence for justification, and that if a man does not have works he evidences himself to be not justified. Trump has the "works" of being affiliated with a liberal PCUSA, degrading comments about women, making essentially a mockery of holy communion, saying he doesn't ask for forgiveness at all, etc. I mean, what visible evidence is there that Trump is a Christian? We will know them by their fruit.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

We can't judge infallibly, and its possible that all the evidence is wrong, and that he truly is. I'm willing to grant this.

But James 2 talks about works as evidence for justification, and that if a man does not have works he evidences himself to be not justified. Trump has the "works" of being affiliated with a liberal PCUSA, degrading comments about women, making essentially a mockery of holy communion, saying he doesn't ask for forgiveness at all, etc. I mean, what visible evidence is there that Trump is a Christian? We will know them by their fruit.
    When we had horses in the city, the police gave us trouble and told us we needed to get them out of the city.

We had already checked the laws of the city we were in and found there was no law concerning horses in the city.

We told them that but they wouldn't leave us alone.

After months of them giving us trouble, my mother had the police who were there, all hold hands out in our driveway for prayer.

We never had any more trouble from them after that.

I see no reason to think we can't pray with unbelievers.

When we had horses in the city, the police gave us trouble and told us we needed to get them out of the city.

We had already checked the laws of the city we were in and found there was no law concerning horses in the city.

We told them that but they wouldn't leave us alone.

After months of them giving us trouble, my mother had the police who were there, all hold hands out in our driveway for prayer.

We never had any more trouble from them after that.

I see no reason to think we can't pray with unbelievers.
    This *might* be OK if you don't give them the impression that their prayers are acceptable to God, or that you see them as saved. I think its better to just pray for them personally.

This *might* be OK if you don't give them the impression that their prayers are acceptable to God, or that you see them as saved. I think its better to just pray for them personally.
    She let God decide if their prayers were acceptable.

What kind of evangelical doctrine is used to determine whose prayers are 'acceptable' and whose are rejected?

And why should it matter one whit if "you see them as saved"?

Christianity isn't a tic the boxes religion, at least not to me...........And Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with how another man perceives your relationship with the Lord.

Verbiage matters, and if you're being taught to think along the lines you've typed you might want to reevaluate your choice of schools....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Unfortunately, the minister is not reading the Bible. Christians should pray for leaders and all in authority so that we may live quiet and peaceable lives.
    I pray that those in "Authority" be confounded.

but I would pray with Trump if he were so inclined.

That would be your totally unlikely event.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom