Thread: Visa Now Paying Businesses to Stop Taking Cash

Exclamation Visa Now Paying Businesses to Stop Taking Cash

War on Cash 2.0 — Visa Now Paying Businesses to Stop Taking Cash

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/war...2-0-visa-cash/

Visa has officially announced that they intend to snub out cash and create a world in which all transactions are monitored and tracked.

By Matt Agorist July 17, 2017

According to the most recent data, Visa — which is mostly owned by banks–accounts for over 50 percent of all credit card transactions and 70 percent of all debit card transactions in the world. Hundreds of billions in transactions process through Visa’s databases every year and this number continues to grow.

Despite their overwhelming increase in market share, cards issued, and overall total volume, Visa has made a recent move that shows they intend to completely snub out their most unaccountable, untraceable, and most liberty-associated competitor and means of payment–cash.

In a news release, ostensibly written as an attempt to “help small businesses,” Visa announced that they are launching “a major effort to encourage businesses to go cashless. Aiming to create a culture where cash is no longer king, the program will give merchants increased ability to accept all forms of global digital payments.”

“At Visa, we believe you can be everywhere you want to be, and that it should be easy to pay and be paid in more ways than ever — whether it’s a phone, card, wearable or other device,” Jack Forestell, Visa’s head of global merchant solutions, said in a statement. “We have an incredible opportunity to educate merchants and consumers alike on the effectiveness of going cashless.”

Laughably, Visa claims that companies who stop accepting cash — a major form of payment for people around the globe — that they could increase profits.

Apparently, they want business owners to forget that they take upwards of five percent of every single transaction.

“The important thing to realize is that going with ‘fast and easy’ is not always the best and most cost effective,” Marco Carabjo, a credit expert, wrote in a 2013 U.S. Small Business Administration blog post.

“Typical merchant account companies can charge up to 5 percent of everything a company earns with prices consisting of merchant processing costs, gateway fees, interchange costs, Visa, MasterCard, American Express charges, statement fees and so on.”

Outside of the obvious reason of convincing businesses to go cashless so they can tax their sales into oblivion by creating a monopoly on accepting payments, the implications for control and surveillance are far more insidious.

Visa — just like government — wants to monitor your spending habits and use that data to exploit humanity. This is why governments and banks across the world have almost simultaneously launched a war on cash.

Earlier this year, the European Commission proposed enforcing “restrictions on payments in cash” under an all-too-familiar premise — terrorism.

“Payments in cash are widely used in the financing of terrorist activities,” the Commission’s proposal states. “In this context, the relevance of potential upper limits to cash payments could also be explored. Several Member States have in place prohibitions for cash payments above a specific threshold.”

According to the Commission’s Inception Impact Assessment, “Cash has the important feature of offering anonymity to transactions. Such anonymity may be desired for legitimate reason (e.g. protection of privacy). But, such anonymity can also be misused for money laundering and terrorist financing purposes. The possibility to conduct large cash payments facilitates money laundering and terrorist financing activities because of the difficulty to control cash payment transactions.”

Just before the EU’s announcement of their war on cash, Citibank announced similar moves and stated it will no longer accept cash deposits or deal in cash.

Citibank Australia’s head of retail bank Janine Copelin offered an explanation saying, “We have seen a steady decline in the demand for cash services in our branches — in fact, less than 4% of Citi customers have used this service in the last 12 months.” The company stated it will no longer handle currency as a result.

“This move to cashless branches reflects Citi’s commitment to digital banking and we are investing in the channels our customers prefer to use…While the number of customers visiting our branches to access cash handling services has fallen, the branch network remains an important component of how we serve our high-net-worth customers,” said Copelin.

As Mises Institute professor, Joseph Salerno predicted in 2015, the war on cash is an inevitable move by big banks and the State. “I think this could come in the next couple of years. If they have to bail out the financial system again…they’ll block the cash in the banks to prevent it from escaping and destabilizing these fractional reserve banks,” Salerno said in an interview with Ron Paul.

It appears that the Trump administration has already been preparing for this move by filling the swamp with Goldman Sachs execs and essentially remaining silent on his campaign promise to audit the Federal Reserve.

Make no mistake, when governments and banks control and monitor 100 percent of what you spend, tyranny has set in. If ever there was a time to start investing in crypto currency and precious metals, it is now.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They will lose customers if they fall for it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I recently had a discussion about this with the guy who owns the pool store. He used to give a cash discount and quit because credit card customers complained and he couldn't afford to lose the business. He's a mom and pop store and has trouble staying competitive with Leslie Pool and online retailers as it is.

Through the years Mr Animal quit accepting certain cards because their fees were too high. He went back and forth with Amex for years. Now, he says he has to take them because almost no one pays in cash anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I wanted to add...I imagine they're not only going to pay them to get started but they're going to sell it to businesses as a security feature. No cash, no worries about being robbed.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I wanted to add...I imagine they're not only going to pay them to get started but they're going to sell it to businesses as a security feature. No cash, no worries about being robbed.
    Well, not robbed by saggy pants hoodlums with guns held sideways.

Robbed by $#@!s in suits with billion dollar network servers instead.

Now, he says he has to take them because almost no one pays in cash anymore.
    Yup, people want to be enslaved, they will happily give up everything except "convenience" and the ability to live beyond their means.

FRNs are legal tender for all debts public and private here in the US. Visa might be trying to manipulate the market, but they simply cannot forbid consumers from using cash.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I recently had a discussion about this with the guy who owns the pool store. He used to give a cash discount and quit because credit card customers complained and he couldn't afford to lose the business. He's a mom and pop store and has trouble staying competitive with Leslie Pool and online retailers as it is.

Through the years Mr Animal quit accepting certain cards because their fees were too high. He went back and forth with Amex for years. Now, he says he has to take them because almost no one pays in cash anymore.
    I wish more places would give discounts for cash--maybe the equivalent of the fee paid for plastic. I'm generally a cash spender. Big purchases will be by card, but mostly cash.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well here in the middle of nowhere most of our business is cash. I take cards, (hell, I'd take eggs) but maybe 5% of my customers use them. And most of those are buying on impulse.

I pay 3% for every transaction done by credit card. I'm happy to accept credit cards for customers who prefer to pay that way, but on invoices over $2000 I'm usually disabling the pay by credit option. Usually at that point I'm requiring a deposit or down payment anyways and it usually comes via cash or check. One of my wealthy clients prefers to pay weekly by CC and usually his invoices are $1200-$3600 so I just add an extra 3% in and let him pay the majority of the fee.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I pay 3% for every transaction done by credit card. I'm happy to accept credit cards for customers who prefer to pay that way, but on invoices over $2000 I'm usually disabling the pay by credit option. Usually at that point I'm requiring a deposit or down payment anyways and it usually comes via cash or check. One of my wealthy clients prefers to pay weekly by CC and usually his invoices are $1200-$3600 so I just add an extra 3% in and let him pay the majority of the fee.
    Yes a lot of people are doing that. Passing the extra charge on their customers. That is what a friend of mine is doing at her farm store.

I am also seeing people barter, it's making a comeback.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Technically it's a violation of the CC TOS to add the fees to the bill. Also against their TOS to refuse to accept CC payments below a certain amount. Both of those rules are happily ignored by merchants, and I suspect the "no more cash!" rule will be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Technically it's a violation of the CC TOS to add the fees to the bill. Also against their TOS to refuse to accept CC payments below a certain amount. Both of those rules are happily ignored by merchants, and I suspect the "no more cash!" rule will be as well.
    exactly. you can still give a "cash discount" with most merchant agreements, but the discount has to be OFF the standard price. You can NOT add on for CC payments. If you get caught/are reported you could lose the ability to take cards.

“Typical merchant account companies can charge up to 5 percent of everything a company earns with prices consisting of merchant processing costs, gateway fees, interchange costs, Visa, MasterCard, American Express charges, statement fees and so on.”
    Square reader is way cheaper. 2.75% per swipe. No point in getting a merchant account till you have a pretty good sized business AFAIK. (but I don't do retail, so IDK about that sort of thing)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-18-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Well, not robbed by saggy pants hoodlums with guns held sideways.

Robbed by $#@!s in suits with billion dollar network servers instead.
    True but the $#@!s in suits usually don't pop a cap in your head. Mr A got robbed once and it was terrifying and when we lived intown a thug followed him home from work and went through our cars. We lived in a really nice neighborhood, btw. That's why we moved to the sticks. He wanted to live far enough away not to be followed home.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yup, people want to be enslaved, they will happily give up everything except "convenience" and the ability to live beyond their means.
    I think people pay with cc's on large purchases for the security of being able to do charge backs if things don't go as planned. When you have a 10-15k pool installed and they $#@! up and won't make it right, you can dispute a charge but if you paid cash, you're screwed. BUT I think most of it is people paying with debit cards - the banks still charge the merchant fees on those purchases.

I go there for chemicals and over the course of the summer that little 5% added up. Now so many people pay with debit, he doesn't have change for $100 on a $40 bill in the afternoon. o_O And his store is busy in the summer because there are no public pools out here. A lot of folks have their own pool.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I wish more places would give discounts for cash--maybe the equivalent of the fee paid for plastic. I'm generally a cash spender. Big purchases will be by card, but mostly cash.
    I give a cash discount equal to what I pay in fees for cards . Better than that for other barter.
    Last edited by oyarde; 07-18-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Do something Danke

My auto mechanic buddy just started taking cards at his shop a few years ago . He moved the hourly labor rate up exactly what he needed to pay for his yearly take if all put on card. He gives me a cash discount if I have him do anything for me .
    Do something Danke

True but the $#@!s in suits usually don't pop a cap in your head. Mr A got robbed once and it was terrifying and when we lived intown a thug followed him home from work and went through our cars. We lived in a really nice neighborhood, btw. That's why we moved to the sticks. He wanted to live far enough away not to be followed home.

I think people pay with cc's on large purchases for the security of being able to do charge backs if things don't go as planned. When you have a 10-15k pool installed and they $#@! up and won't make it right, you can dispute a charge but if you paid cash, you're screwed. BUT I think most of it is people paying with debit cards - the banks still charge the merchant fees on those purchases.

I go there for chemicals and over the course of the summer that little 5% added up. Now so many people pay with debit, he doesn't have change for $100 on a $40 bill in the afternoon. o_O And his store is busy in the summer because there are no public pools out here. A lot of folks have their own pool.
    I have run into that before so I try and just carry 20's .
    Do something Danke

I work part time two days a week sometimes at a local business , it is cash or check only , around the corner is a cash only Chinese restaurant .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Square reader is way cheaper. 2.75% per swipe. No point in getting a merchant account till you have a pretty good sized business AFAIK. (but I don't do retail, so IDK about that sort of thing)
    Saw a sign yesterday that simply read, "As a small business, we appreciate cash!"

I don't know any places at all around here who only accept cash, even smaller businesses.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My auto mechanic buddy just started taking cards at his shop a few years ago . He moved the hourly labor rate up exactly what he needed to pay for his yearly take if all put on card. He gives me a cash discount if I have him do anything for me .
    From the merchant's standpoint - sales increase if you take cards. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I work part time two days a week sometimes at a local business , it is cash or check only , around the corner is a cash only Chinese restaurant .
    I had my hair cut by a Chinese lady who didn't take cards - only cash. Probably cheating on her taxes. Which is fine by me.

From the merchant's standpoint - sales increase if you take cards. It's that simple.
    Also helps in getting paid if you have a customer with a history of very late payments or haggling over invoices.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Saw a sign yesterday that simply read, "As a small business, we appreciate cash!"

I don't know any places at all around here who only accept cash, even smaller businesses.
    Ya,I didn't either till I began taking lessons at my current teacher's ballet studio. She only takes cash/checks. I never asked why, but I assume she can't afford to pay processing fees. She also runs her own non-profit foundation and whatnot.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Ya, Square does too, which sucks...but it's become a*must*now that lots of people prefer plastic.

CCs finally bowed to allowing fees to be tacked on after a class action. Not sure which states don't have that clause in the CC contract... Michigan does allow surcharges to recover the fee

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-...2574--,00.html
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

There is a local pizza shop I go to. Stopped yesterday and had the same magic marker sign in the window for years... Cash Only
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    CCs finally bowed to allowing fees to be tacked on after a class action. Not sure which states don't have that clause in the CC contract... Michigan does allow surcharges to recover the fee

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-...2574--,00.html
    Cool - I did not know that. Thanks.

Of course as a libertarian I oppose such laws, just as I opposed the laws that originally banned merchants from passing the fees along. This is yet another example of government fixing a problem it created.