Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why you should vote Republican this election:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I do. He is pushing for gun control.
    Exactly, see, you don't have a $#@!ing clue what Trump is doing.

He is filling the supreme court with people who are stronger on the 2nd amendment than anybody currently on the court. He can say he is going to do whatever he wants for political advantage, but he is ultimately protecting our gun rights in the longterm. Worst case scenario, bump stocks are illegal for a short time until a court makes the correction.

He's already getting beaten by the left and the media from 100 different directions, last thing he needs is people throwing buckets of blood on right wing politicians and $#@! while he is trying to get other things done.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-15-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    How do you think it works?
    People decide to run and then we get to choose between them, the only exception is if we are able to run ourselves.
    Your description is apt for a high school council, but not for the state or federal level.

Political parties are businesses and candidates are their products. If customers' preferences change, then businesses will either change their products or they will be outmaneuvered by new entrants who better meet demand.

Will you be running for office any time soon?
    No; I'm not corrupt, and therefore politics is unprofitable for me.

In the first place you will never have everyone stop voting and in the second the bone breakers would declare some kind of emergency and take power anyway.
    1) Way to contradict yourself within your own post.

2) Why even vote then?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Yes, and he is awful on the 4th Amendment.
    Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Your description is apt for a high school council, but not for the state or federal level.

Political parties are businesses and candidates are their products. If customers' preferences change, then businesses will either change their products or they will be outmaneuvered by new entrants who better meet demand.
    LOL, they will only shift the kind of candidates that they run based on which ones win, if leftists win they will keep offering people who are ever farther to the left.

No; I'm not corrupt, and therefore politics is unprofitable for me.
    LOL

1) Way to contradict yourself within your own post.
    It's not a contradiction, I simply stated what would happen IF the impossibility actually took place.

2) Why even vote then?
    Because voting denies them the "legitimacy" that they would have if they did impose themselves on us in the event that nobody voted and voting allows us to choose the best available option to move things as far in our direction as we can.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

That's not how it works, we get to vote for the people who run, we don't decide who runs.
    Is that the cause of the bad political outcomes (e.g. ever increasing federal spending)?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Is that the cause of the bad political outcomes (e.g. ever increasing federal spending)?
    It may be involved but it isn't any different than not getting to choose who is born to the last king.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It may be involved
    How would you correct this problem (of "us" not being able to choose the candidates)?

Or, if that actually isn't a problem (you seemed to be saying it is, but now maybe not), what is the problem?

How would you correct this problem (of "us" not being able to choose the candidates)?

Or, if that actually isn't a problem (you seemed to be saying it is, but now maybe not), what is the problem?
    Life is the problem and therefore there is nothing you can do about it, the only thing that would make it better would be a more equal distribution of money and power but we all know what happens if you try to force that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Life is the problem and therefore there is nothing you can do about it
    That's certainly not true, though I'm not going to explain why (again), as I'd like to hear your proposed solution, if you have one.

It seemed to me that you were blaming the "deep state" or some such thing for the bad political outcomes.

As in, "if only we could choose the candidates, and get the deep state out of it, we'd have better outcomes," or something along those lines.

Maybe not

You're a fatalist now?

the only thing that would make it better would be a more equal distribution of money and power but we all know what happens if you try to force that.
    Communism would make it better...?

That's certainly not true, though I'm not going to explain why (again), as I'd like to hear your proposed solution, if you have one.

It seemed to me that you were blaming the "deep state" or some such thing for the bad political outcomes.

As in, "if only we could choose the candidates, and get the deep state out of it, we'd have better outcomes," or something along those lines.

Maybe not

You're a fatalist now?
    I am a fatalist to a certain extent that is why I reject pie in the sky fantasies that claim they will make a perfect world but I am an optimist to the extent that I believe we can make things better by choosing the best available option and by reforming the system in the ways I have proposed elsewhere.

Communism would make it better...?
    No it wouldn't, that is why I said this:
    but we all know what happens if you try to force that.
    If somehow money and power were more equally divided naturally that would make things better because more people could run for office against the "anointed" candidates.

True free markets would result in a more equal distribution of money and power but only to a degree.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If somehow money and power were more equally divided naturally that would make things better because more people could run for office against the "anointed" candidates.
    This is what I was referencing.

How do you think candidates come to be "anointed" and what, if anything, do you think could be done to change this?

What would a better, alternative arrangement be?

As to what is to be done, feel free to propose any reform you like, even if you think it's impossible to implement in practice.

This is what I was referencing.

How do you think candidates come to be "anointed" and what, if anything, do you think could be done to change this?
    Those with far more money and power than most people pick them based on their own interests, you can't change it, you can compete with it if you have enough money and power to run yourself or back someone you choose.

What would a better, alternative arrangement be?

As to what is to be done, feel free to propose any reform you like, even if you think it's impossible to implement in practice.
    Realistically the only better arrangement would be truly free markets that would create many more people with the power and wealth to run or back someone.
    Unrealistically things would be best if everyone was born with the same amount of money and power and had all the same opportunities so that everyone would be equally capable of running for office or supporting someone's run but that is impossible and any attempts to make it happen would result in a total loss of liberty and the destruction of the economy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    he is ultimately protecting our gun rights
    Yes, like GWB abandoning free market principles to save the free market?

Violating the 2nd Amendment is not protecting our gun rights. And nominating SCOTUS justices that actively abridge our rights doesn't help either.

You are confused.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Those with far more money and power than most people pick them based on their own interests, you can't change it, you can compete with it if you have enough money and power to run yourself or back someone you choose.
    That's right.

Realistically the only better arrangement would be truly free markets that would create many more people with the power and wealth to run or back someone.
    Unrealistically things would be best if everyone was born with the same amount of money and power and had all the same opportunities so that everyone would be equally capable of running for office or supporting someone's run but that is impossible and any attempts to make it happen would result in a total loss of liberty and the destruction of the economy.
    Laissez faire would obviously not result in anything resembling an equal distribution of wealth (nor should it).

It may or may not even narrow the gap; that depends entirely on the specific market conditions.

Anyway, I'm not seeing any proposal to improve things (I guess this is the fatalism).

Well, good luck with that system.

At least you get to vote as hard as you want.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Laissez faire would obviously not result in anything resembling an equal distribution of wealth (nor should it).

It may or may not even narrow the gap; that depends entirely on the specific market conditions.
    It would narrow the gap, crony capitalism and government intervention is responsible for the extreme distortion that has existed throughout most of history and those societies that had the freest markets have had the smallest gaps.

Anyway, I'm not seeing any proposal to improve things (I guess this is the fatalism).
    I have made other proposals in other threads that would help but the problem can't be eliminated entirely in any system.

Well, good luck with that system.

At least you get to vote as hard as you want.
    I'll have better luck than the birth lottery will provide in a monarchy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It would narrow the gap, crony capitalism and government intervention is responsible for the extreme distortion that has existed throughout most of history and those societies that had the freest markets have had the smallest gaps.
    That may be the case, but it isn't necessarily so.

The state's economic interventions necessarily redistribute wealth, they don't necessarily cause greater concentrations of wealth.

That depends entirely on the type of intervention and random market factors.

Anyway, a minor reduction in wealth inequality (or even total equality of wealth) wouldn't solve your problem.

I have made other proposals in other threads that would help but the problem can't be eliminated entirely in any system.
    Such as?

That may be the case, but it isn't necessarily so.

The state's economic interventions necessarily redistribute wealth, they don't necessarily cause greater concentrations of wealth.

That depends entirely on the type of intervention and random market factors.

Anyway, a minor reduction in wealth inequality (or even total equality of wealth) wouldn't solve your problem.

Such as?
    Here is one:
    Why not give each Rep. multiple votes?

Another is prohibiting those who receive government money from voting

There are others I have posted as well elsewhere.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

As I said at the time:

Color me skeptical.

By the way, I'm sure you know that this (nation-wide proportional voting) is more or less how it works in most of the rest of the world.

In Europe, for instance, there is an amusing number of minority parties with one or two seats in parliament.

Does that system seem to be yielding significantly different results?

People complain (understandably) about the winner-take-all nature of our system, but the coalition building process that the rest of the world employs ends up with the same thing, more or less (you get to be part of the government, if only you abandon all principle and compromise with your enemies, in some milquetoast middle).

Another is prohibiting those who receive government money from voting
    ...which would be as effective as a constitutional prohibition on welfare.

As I said at the time:

I replied at the time so I won't here.

...which would be as effective as a constitutional prohibition on welfare.
    Not really but I'm not going to have that argument again in this thread either.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I replied at the time so I won't here.
    Your reply was that the Europeans have "political revolutions" more often (i.e. more changes in which parties dominate).

I then asked (rhetorically) if these were usually/ever pro-liberty revolutions.

You acknowledged that they were not.

Not really but I'm not going to have that argument again in this thread either.
    That's fine.

Your reply was that the Europeans have "political revolutions" more often (i.e. more changes in which parties dominate).

I then asked (rhetorically) if these were usually/ever pro-liberty revolutions.

You acknowledged that they were not.
    But I pointed out that that was because Europeans don't have a political culture that is even as liberty oriented as ours.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But I pointed out that that was because Europeans don't have a political culture that is even as liberty oriented as ours.
    So you did.

One final issue: Why do you think that wealth equality would improve political outcomes?

(ignoring problems associated with how wealth could come to be equally distributed; suppose it happens by magic)

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you did.

One final issue: Why do you think that wealth equality would improve political outcomes?

(ignoring problems associated with how wealth could come to be equally distributed; suppose it happens by magic)
    Because more people could run for office and the voters would have more choices, they would then be able to choose the better options over the "anointed" options.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Because more people could run for office and the voters would have more choices
    Everyone can already run for office (within age requirements etc).

they would then be able to choose the better options over the "anointed" options.
    I'll come back to that after we figure out who's running.

Everyone can already run for office (within age requirements etc).
    Theoretically, but you need enough money to pull it off or the right connections to people with enough money.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Theoretically, but you need enough money to pull it off or the right connections to people with enough money.
    Certainly, but what's the difference between $1,000 from 1000 donors or $10 from 100,000 donors?

Certainly, but what's the difference between $1,000 from 1000 donors or $10 from 100,000 donors?
    None, but you need the money to fund-raise in the first place, if nobody has heard of you then nobody will donate.

You also need much more money than that for higher offices that make more of a difference.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

None, but you need the money to fund-raise in the first place, if nobody has heard of you then nobody will donate.
    Why would voters be more likely to have heard of the "good guys" in an equal wealth situation?

Why would voters be more likely to have heard of the "good guys" in an equal wealth situation?
    Because they would have the money for the initial public outreach.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Because they would have the money for the initial public outreach.
    That each political actor has equal wealth doesn't mean that each candidate has equal funding.

The guy speaking unpopular views will still attract less money, no?

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast