Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. foreign-born population swells to highest in over a century

Thumbs down U.S. foreign-born population swells to highest in over a century

The number of foreign-born people in the United States grew last year to its highest share in over a century, according to Census Bureau data published on Thursday.

The increase took the number of foreign-born residents to 44.5 million in 2017, up 1.8 percent from a year earlier.
    The administration has said it wants to restrict legal immigration, and has stepped up efforts as well to detain and deport immigrants in the country illegally since President Donald Trump took office in January 2017.
    But so far, said Randy Capps, a demographer at the Migration Policy Institute, the government hasn’t restricted legal immigration much and America’s strong job market likely fueled part of last year’s increase in the foreign-born population.
    “The economy’s definitely a factor in this, not just in more people coming but in more people staying,” Capps said.
    Foreign-born residents made up 13.7 percent of the U.S. population in 2017, up from 13.5 percent in 2016, according to the Census Bureau’s estimates. That put the proportion of immigrants in the United States last year at the highest since 1910, when they made up 14.7 percent of the population.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1LT2HZ

We need a 10 year freeze.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So 60 million counting illegals ? or just 45 million ? Someone will need to point out the huge wave of positives that offers because I fail to see it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    So 60 million counting illegals ? or just 45 million ? Someone will need to point out the huge wave of positives that offers because I fail to see it .
    Come on Oyarde, how about all my positive contributions to this site? very unappreciative of u.

Also, not all foreign born are illegal immigrants. Geeze Louise Oyarde, step your game up

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Come on Oyarde, how about all my positive contributions to this site? very unappreciative of u.

Also, not all foreign born are illegal immigrants. Geeze Louise Oyarde, step your game up
    My real question was , are illegals in that number , I kind of doubt it . No offense meant to you , I forgot you were foreign born .
    Do something Danke

Exhibit A for our side.

Read what he said again, I know English isn't your first language but your misunderstanding in this case is ridiculous.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Exhibit A for our side.

Read what he said again, I know English isn't your first language but your misunderstanding in this case is ridiculous.
    Misunderstanding happens even among English speaks, english not being my first language has nothing to do with the misunderstanding here. I wasn't sure where he got the 60 million and I made the assumption that he thinks it is the total number of foreign born and illegal immigrants or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My real question was , are illegals in that number , I kind of doubt it . No offense meant to you , I forgot you were foreign born .
    Its OK, I can see how u forgot about me and all my contributions to liberty

I like your contribution to this site, as long as you don't breed.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I like your contribution to this site, as long as you don't breed.
    I cannot believe u said that to me. Its one thing if u said u didn't want me to breed with someone outside my race but u don't want me to breed at all?

Sadly for u, I am looking forward to having 4 lovely, healthy kids of my own.

I cannot believe u said that to me. Its one thing if u said u didn't want me to breed with someone outside my race but u don't want me to breed at all?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

The highest since 1910, you say?

Were things better or worse then?

Isn't that the great that you want again?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

It won't be too bad if he keeps his promise to go back to Africa.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The highest since 1910, you say?

Were things better or worse then?

Isn't that the great that you want again?
    That is just about the time it all went down hill really bad, 1912 was a very bad year and Wilson was a very bad president.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That is just about the time it all went down hill really bad, 1912 was a very bad year and Wilson was a very bad president.
    Therefore, the America that you want to return to had an even greater percentage of immigrants than we do today.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Therefore, the America that you want to return to had an even greater percentage of immigrants than we do today.
    How far back do you think I want to go?

Immigrants as a percent of US population don't just keep increasing the farther back you go.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It won't be too bad if he keeps his promise to go back to Africa.
    The statement was that I will leave the forum not the country. And geeze, I am Nigerian. I will be going back to NIGERIA, why it is so hard for people to say the name of a country in Africa and not the whole continent?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The statement was that I will leave the forum not the country.
    Actually you said you would be going back to your home country at least once.

And geeze, I am Nigerian. I will be going back to NIGERIA, why it is so hard for people to say the name of a country in Africa and not the whole continent?
    Why does it bug you so much?
    It wouldn't bother a Frenchman if I said he was going back to Europe.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How far back do you think I want to go?

Immigrants as a percent of US population don't just keep increasing the farther back you go.
    You'd have to go back to 1860 to hit a lower percentage of immigrants.

Is the America that you want to go back to pre- or post- 1860?
    Pinochet is the model

You'd have to go back to 1860 to hit a lower percentage of immigrants.

Is the America that you want to go back to pre- or post- 1860?
    Pre-1860.

You will immediately scream that I want to bring back slavery of course but that is ridiculous, turning back the clock on one or many things doesn't require turning it back on everything else.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Might be too late, you really think they would let him back?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Pre-1860.

You will immediately scream that I want to bring back slavery of course but that is ridiculous, turning back the clock on one or many things doesn't require turning it back on everything else.
    You'd be going back to a time before the census asked about people's nationality. I guess they didn't consider it important then.
    Pinochet is the model

You'd be going back to a time before the census asked about people's nationality. I guess they didn't consider it important then.
    The country wasn't full back then.

Technology hadn't enabled so many immigrants to come here so easily and the rest of the world hadn't ruined itself so badly that everyone wanted to move here.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Might be too late, you really think they would let him back?
    Sure, he would be bringing Yankee dollars with him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Are you going to buy them Che hats and tee shirts?
    "The Patriarch"

Why does it bug you so much?
    It wouldn't bother a Frenchman if I said he was going back to Europe.
    I go home every couple of years. If that is what you mean then ignore my protest.

It sorta bugs me because I am not sure someone as ignorant as you actually understands that there is a difference between Nigeria the country and Africa the continent. Sadly, its not just you but quite a few Americans have a hard time with the concept.

It sorta bugs me because I am not sure someone as ignorant as you actually understands that there is a difference between Nigeria the country and Africa the continent.

Really? Thank you for clarifying.

It sorta bugs me because I am not sure someone as ignorant as you actually understands that there is a difference between Nigeria the country and Africa the continent. Sadly, its not just you but quite a few Americans have a hard time with the concept.

I'm well aware of the individual countries on the African continent and you are the ignorant one.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Technology hadn't enabled so many immigrants to come here so easily
    Remember just one post ago when there were more immigrants by % in 1870 than there are today? How does that have with your baseless assertion?

and the rest of the world hadn't ruined itself so badly that everyone wanted to move here.
    Holy $#@!, read a history book sometime.
    Pinochet is the model

Remember just one post ago when there were more immigrants by % in 1870 than there are today? How does that have with your baseless assertion?
    We have limits now even if they are too loose, we would be completely flooded with immigrants now if we didn't thanks to technology.

Holy $#@!, read a history book sometime.
    The difference between America and the rest of the world economically or in terms of liberty is much greater today.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast