Thread: Scientists Invent Oxygen Particle That If Injected, Allows You To Live Without Breathing

Scientists Invent Oxygen Particle That If Injected, Allows You To Live Without Breathing

Wow.....

New Medical Discovery

A team of scientists at the Boston Children’s Hospital have invented what is being considered one the greatest medical breakthroughs in recent years. They have designed a microparticle that can be injected into a person’s bloodstream that can quickly oxygenate their blood. This will even work if the ability to breathe has been restricted, or even cut off entirely.

This finding has the potential to save millions of lives every year. The microparticles can keep an object alive for up to 30 min after respiratory failure. This is accomplished through an injection into the patients’ veins. Once injected, the microparticles can oxygenate the blood to near normal levels. This has countless potential uses as it allows life to continue when oxygen is needed but unavailable. For medical personnel, this is just enough time to avoid risking a heart attack or permanent brain injury when oxygen is restricted or cut off to patients.

Potential Future Uses

Medical: There is the obvious medical uses where the microparticles can be used to save off death from a restriction in breathing due to inflammation of the lungs, collapsed lungs, and the like. It would be good to have these injections ready in hospitals and ambulances for when the time is needed.

Military: Can you imagine a navy seals capability when they wouldn’t need to surface for air and could stay underwater for over 20 minutes? If a boat was to begin to sink, you could shoot yourself as the boat is going down to ensure you aren’t drowned in the under current of the sinking vessel. How about for toxic gases when a facemask is unavailable. The military could have a number of uses for such a medical advancement.

Private Sector: Really this can be used as a precaution for anything nautical where the potential to drown is a real danger. Deep sea rescue crews could inject themselves prior to making a rescue, underwater welders can use it in case they become stuck or air is lost to their suits. The potential use for anything water related seems extremely worthwhile.

More at source:
    http://www.techwench.com/scientists-...out-breathing/
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But how would you expel the C02 produced during cellular respiration from your blood if you aren't breathing?
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    But how would you expel the C02 produced during cellular respiration from your blood if you aren't breathing?
    Either the substance absorbs it once it released it's oxygen or it's the reason it only works for 30 minutes.
    "I am a bird"

The lungs assist in pumping the heart so I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Also, how would you distribute the oxygen from the veins alone? You would think oxygen stuff would be injected into the lungs and that way have it re-oxygenate the blood coming from the veins.

I find this very hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Either the substance absorbs it once it released it's oxygen or it's the reason it only works for 30 minutes.
    Yea, your pH would drop so fast with all that CO2 in your system. Your tissues will start breaking down and the lack of oxygen would be the least of your problems. Don't buy this for one second.

Found this article through google scholar;
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile...e01c3fee69.pdf
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Found this article through google scholar;
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile...e01c3fee69.pdf
    Interesting they did this on a rabbit but I would still love to read the whole research to see what happened the pH of the rabbit and how the oxygen saturation for the extremities fared.

Also, I took care of a patient last week. He was hospice patient dying from lung cancer. He was able to be alert and maintained level of consciousness with oxygen saturation of 10% and below and he sustained this for about 8 hrs+. I didn't think it was possible for a human to last that long with that low of an oxygen but ofc he reached a point where he was going through irreversible multi organ failure that even if you restored his O2 to 100%, he was not going to make it. Now I wonder if this particle can prevent you from going into multiple organ failure due to lack of oxygen? or just keep u a walking dead zombie

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm kinda fuzzy on that whole oxygen 'particle' concept.

Could you further clarify, please?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I'm kinda fuzzy on that whole oxygen 'particle' concept.

Could you further clarify, please?

Thanks!
    I am thinking a very dense, highly concentration bubble of oxygen that can be injected to the veins.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I am thinking a very dense, highly concentration bubble of oxygen that can be injected to the veins.
    I believe that causes a heart attack and seizure.

em·bo·lism
    ˈembəˌlizəm/
    noun
    noun: embolism; plural noun: embolisms

Medicine
      obstruction of an artery, typically by a clot of blood or an air bubble.
      the periodic intercalation of days or a month to correct the accumulating discrepancy between the calendar year and the solar year, as in a leap year.
    • Pass. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I believe that causes a heart attack and seizure.

Pass. <shrug>[/LIST]
    Not if it dissolves in the blood imediately. Oxygen unlike blood clot is very soluble in blood and shouldn't be a big issue with heart attacks and strokes

Deterioration will happen fast if you don't expel those CO2. Is this for real?

What could possibly go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

"Be not the first on which the new is tried, nor the last to put the old aside."

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    What could possibly go wrong?
    I was totally wrong when I predicted the direction the zombies would probably come from.

Assuming for the sake of argument this were true I imagine your lungs would still expulse CO2, but they just wouldn't perform the exchange, because the iron would already be oxygenated. The lungs would just sit there and "seep" CO2. Probably way less efficiently if you aren't 'beating' your lungs. You would probably need to operate your lungs just to outgas the CO2, but this still has some remarkable consequences. A diver could exhale into a tiny hydraulically pressurized CO2 scrubber and inhale something super-compactable like helium, as long as they kept some of this stuff on slow IV and had a way to eat they could stay underwater for DAYS.

An even bigger impact would be in space. Imagine being able to run a pure Nitrogen atmosphere and just scrub out the CO2, you get all your O2 from a semi-implant tank. That wouldn't happen, but having this tech could extend survival in space for days if not weeks. In a bad atmosphere all you'd have to do is filter out toxins, not find and meter O2 from somewhere. Makes it a way easier problem.

Mostly though, I think this tech would be for stuff like severed limbs that will be reattached, or organs requiring extraordinarily long transport, or first responders expanding the window of survivability.

If it turns out this stuff is real, and it has side effect like ibuprofen, then ultimately I would expect to see it as the 'immediate response' be nearly any first responder if for no other reason than to stop the clock for fifteen minutes as they close the gap to the ER.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gunny, i think it elongates the fragile "golden hour" heart attack & stroke victims have.
    think of classic Star Trek, quite obviously Doctor McCoy would be very familiar with this.
    Remember the scene in AMOK TIME where Kirk has to contend with Vulcan's atmosphere?
    a delivery system that bypasses the lungs has no immediate problems until CO2 builds up.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I was totally wrong when I predicted the direction the zombies would probably come from.

Assuming for the sake of argument this were true I imagine your lungs would still expulse CO2, but they just wouldn't perform the exchange, because the iron would already be oxygenated. The lungs would just sit there and "seep" CO2. Probably way less efficiently if you aren't 'beating' your lungs. You would probably need to operate your lungs just to outgas the CO2, but this still has some remarkable consequences. A diver could exhale into a tiny hydraulically pressurized CO2 scrubber and inhale something super-compactable like helium, as long as they kept some of this stuff on slow IV and had a way to eat they could stay underwater for DAYS.

An even bigger impact would be in space. Imagine being able to run a pure Nitrogen atmosphere and just scrub out the CO2, you get all your O2 from a semi-implant tank. That wouldn't happen, but having this tech could extend survival in space for days if not weeks. In a bad atmosphere all you'd have to do is filter out toxins, not find and meter O2 from somewhere. Makes it a way easier problem.

Mostly though, I think this tech would be for stuff like severed limbs that will be reattached, or organs requiring extraordinarily long transport, or first responders expanding the window of survivability.

If it turns out this stuff is real, and it has side effect like ibuprofen, then ultimately I would expect to see it as the 'immediate response' be nearly any first responder if for no other reason than to stop the clock for fifteen minutes as they close the gap to the ER.
    Would a chlorophyll CO2 processing gene insertion to human DNA perhaps work out?

How about atmosphere processing gills?