Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An energy crisis is gripping the world, with potentially grave consequences

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    And of course there's that other natural resource that was made illegal by .gov so big oil & steel wouldn't have any competition: Hemp.
    Hemp would be a fine natural resource, I think probably on par with cotton, although I admit I don't know enough about it. But I don't see how it competes with oil and steel.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Hemp would be a fine natural resource, I think probably on par with cotton, although I admit I don't know enough about it. But I don't see how it competes with oil and steel.
    Look up Ford's Hemp Car on YouTube. The car is made mostly of hemp & is also running on hemp. He hits the back of the car with a crowbar & nary a dent.

Big Oil/Steel had the gov make hemp illegal because they didn't want the competition. This is why marijuana became "evil" & illegal so .gov could connect hemp & it's sister plant, marijuana together & tell the nation that they were evil drugs that had to be banned.
    There is no spoon.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gee, after decades of vilifying the life-sustaining energy we develop from coal, natural gas and petroleum, brow-beating and shaming companies that produce these natural resources (all while providing some of the best-paying blue collar jobs in the world), and goading them into developing "sustainable" (so much for that), "eco-friendly" (heh, check out a rare earth element mining operation once, then get back to me. Oh also let me know what you're gonna do with all those solar panels and wind sails once they reach the end of their lives), "renewable" (buuttt... not exactly "readily renewable, which is kind of important to keeping the lights turned on, or your hospital equipment running, or for that matter manufacturing almost ALL of the things that you see around you, from plastics, to paints, to synthetic fibers - wool is very comfortable, you know - to fertilizers, and on and on and on...) "energies", and insisting that we convert away from these things in a completely unmanageable timeframe, who woulda thunk it?

Yeah, let's listen to an autistic, spoiled, scold of a little girl from a country that would see millions of deaths in the lights went out before winter was a month old.

Michael Shellenberger, an award winning journalist and life-long environmental activist wrote Apocalypse Never https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Shell...rwt_scns_share after his daughter came home from school crying that they were all going to die because of global warming... these people are mentally abusing children and using it as a means to advance an agenda.
    Don't forget about wind turbine blades. Pretty sure every progressive is a not in my backyard type...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...p-in-landfills

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Don't forget about wind turbine blades. Pretty sure every progressive is a not in my backyard type...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...p-in-landfills
    Those Fiberglass Blades could be ground into insulation.. and sold as such.

Huge waste..and mostly unnecessary.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

The whole natural gas industry has been vilified because of fracking. North East Pennsylvania and all of New York have moratoriums in place.
    Think I read somewhere that there is more energy in the Marcellus shale formation than all of Saudi Arabia. This may be in including Utica formation as well.
    Fracking has come such a long way in the last few years. Longer laterals, recycling of frack water. Not sure if injection wells are still being used but that was an issue in my opinion.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

On the first page of this thread I get an "out of memory" error message over and over and over again, every time when I reach the same post scrolling down (even on the archived version archive.is/QAEaY!)...

In the Netherlands we've stopped pumping gas supposedly over concerns of earth quakes and houses breaking down or something.
    There is talk of maybe "fixing" the high energy prices through subsidies, as if we don't have enough of these to inflate prices more...
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Also infrastructure is behind production. Pipeline companies are aggressively leasing and building pipeline in my area.
    ROW’s are going from $15-25 per foot for 20” lines to $100+.
    Oh and Shell has committed to a huge cracker plant in Southwest Pennsylvania.

Edited to add I am no expert by any means. But it is my understanding the earthquakes have more to do with injection wells for disposal of waste (fracking water) then the process of fracking itself.
    Last edited by sam1952; 10-10-2021 at 03:06 PM.

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Any "low supply" is all contrived. Not only by the Saudis who are puppets of London and Tel Aviv, but by American and Canadian -- and European drillers who lowered their rig counts intentionally over the last 6-9 months all to drive up prices so that their contracts could pay off obscene amounts of cash. There is also an effort to make carbon fuels more costly to prop up the "green" projects. Nothing is connected with economics -- it is all a conspiracy to enslave governments and their citizens.

It's all manipulated by contracts. Big Finance houses collude and conspire to maximize profit separated from all reason and the excuses in both directions are parroted by their sycophants in the press. Natural Gas is not worth 7x what it was a matter of months ago based on economy. Oil was not worth $150 barrell or $0 a barrell ever based on economic principles.

Is this similar to the Lumber supply problems?

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Is this similar to the Lumber supply problems?
    Yes
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    The whole natural gas industry has been vilified because of fracking. North East Pennsylvania and all of New York have moratoriums in place.
    Think I read somewhere that there is more energy in the Marcellus shale formation than all of Saudi Arabia. This may be in including Utica formation as well.
    Fracking has come such a long way in the last few years. Longer laterals, recycling of frack water. Not sure if injection wells are still being used but that was an issue in my opinion.
    There isn't a moratorium in NE PA. We're working on rigs in Susquehanna country right now.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also infrastructure is behind production. Pipeline companies are aggressively leasing and building pipeline in my area.
    ROW’s are going from $15-25 per foot for 20” lines to $100+.
    Oh and Shell has committed to a huge cracker plant in Southwest Pennsylvania.

Edited to add I am no expert by any means. But it is my understanding the earthquakes have more to do with injection wells for disposal of waste (fracking water) then the process of fracking itself.
    Yes sir! The Shell ethane cracker is online or will be very soon, in Monaca, PA, just north of Pittsburgh. There is another cracker under construction in Belmont, OH, on the Ohio river, and another one planned in WV, I believe. These plants are very good news for the prospects of the northeast - they'll be providing the feed stock for manufacturers of PE, HDPE, etc. In a few years, we should be seeing those facilities locating to this area, generating thousands of good paying blue collar and white collar jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    [T]he impression I got was natural gas is not only a given in oil wells, but the reason they gush (or try to) when tapped.
    It's entirely possible that the reason they gush is because of NG. I've *assumed* it is because of the release of pressure.
    They "gush" (if they do at all) because of hydrostatic pressure - "gushing" only requires a sufficiently large pressure differential.

Crudely, you can think of it like the contrast between opening a tube of toothpaste that is being lightly gripped and opening one that is being tightly squeezed.

The presence of gas in the "toothpaste", if (and how well) it is dissolved, and numerous other factors (such as the use of pumps) can increase or decrease the hydrostatic pressure differential. But other things equal, the deeper a well is (i.e., the more tightly the "toothpaste" is being squeezed), the more forcefully it should "gush" (if it does).
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

There isn't a moratorium in NE PA. We're working on rigs in Susquehanna country right now.
    I guess I was thinking of the Delaware River Basin area moratorium. Are they drilling there now? I haven’t really kept up on it.

I guess I was thinking of the Delaware River Basin area moratorium. Are they drilling there now? I haven’t really kept up on it.
    I may be misremembering, but I think there was a brief stoppage due to a spill, or something along those lines, several years ago. But to my knowledge, drilling in NE PA (Tioga, Bradford, Susquehanna, Lycoming, Sullivan, Wyoming counties, etc.) has continued basically uninterrupted. There has never been much activity east of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, at least to my knowledge.

The major centers of drilling in Pennsylvania have been in those northeastern counties, and southwestern Pennsylvania, particularly Greene and Washington counties, with some activity in Fayette, Somerset (very little in the past 5 years), and also Allegheny. It picks up a bit, north of Allegheny, in Butler county. There is also some drilling in Westmoreland and Indiana counties, and sporadically from there up through central PA up to NE PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    They "gush" (if they do at all) because of hydrostatic pressure - "gushing" only requires a sufficiently large pressure differential.

Crudely, you can think of it like the contrast between opening a tube of toothpaste that is being lightly gripped and opening one that is being tightly squeezed.

The presence of gas in the "toothpaste", if (and how well) it is dissolved, and numerous other factors (such as the use of pumps) can increase or decrease the hydrostatic pressure differential. But other things equal, the deeper a well is (i.e., the more tightly the "toothpaste" is being squeezed), the more forcefully it should "gush" (if it does).
    Thank you sir. That's what I'd assumed was the case.

Glad to see you guys are still going strong.

The federal ban, which includes offshore, killed us.

That and the costs...the last ultra deepwater project I was on was in 9000 feet of water and a TVD to 25,000.

The sunk cost on that well alone was close to half a billion dollars.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

I'm with you - I'm no expert in this area, either. However, IF there is any correlation between injection wells and "tremors", which I believe would be the most generous term one could use regarding these particular events, I don't particularly think of them as in any way potentially catastrophic. Injection wells, as I understand it, are no deeper than your typical Utica well - that's about 13,000' vertically, and as much as 20,000' horizontally. I would assume that the vertical linear footage would be the relevant measure. That's just over 2 miles deep. Earthquakes, proper, are tectonic events which occur far deeper than a mere 2 miles. Also, while injection wells are pressurized, they are not fracked, at least as far as I'm aware. And technologies are emerging to deal with frack water that do not involve injecting the water into wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Glad to see you guys are still going strong.

The federal ban, which includes offshore, killed us.

That and the costs...the last ultra deepwater project I was on was in 9000 feet of water and a TVD to 25,000.

The sunk cost on that well alone was close to half a billion dollars.
    Sorry to hear it man. It's a nonsense regulation, and frankly it's had a bit to do with the rise in prices.

I've talked to guys who've done some offshore stuff - amazing technology! I'd love to get out onto an offshore rig one time.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry to hear it man. It's a nonsense regulation, and frankly it's had a bit to do with the rise in prices.

I've talked to guys who've done some offshore stuff - amazing technology! I'd love to get out onto an offshore rig one time.
    It's like a moonshot.

I was on the Deepwater Horizon more than once.

It's like a moonshot.

I was on the Deepwater Horizon more than once.
    We're gonna have to talk soon man. I'd love to hear more about your experiences. Land drilling is amazing enough, with directional technology and fracking, but to do all of that from a rig bobbing on the surface of the ocean through a couple miles of sea water... just unbelievable. A moonshot sounds about right!

Lets be perfectly clear here.

The only REAL crisis is the idiot Demoncrats who have shut down the supplies for the energy to begin with. Its not some scarcity thing. They murdered the supply chain. They shut down the oil and gas pipelines. They shut down the power plants. Yet, they expect us all to drive electric $#@!ing cars that dont work when there IS NO $#@!ING POWER GRID?

The Real Energy Crisis is the Govt itself.

Their real goal, murder as many as necessary to allow them to have PERMANENT POLITICAL POWER. They want a tyrannical regime that controls people by controlling the things they need to survive. Food. Power. Heat. How many millions will STARVE? How many millions more will die because the healthcare workers who are smart enough to not take their Deadly Vaxtermination Shot were forced to quit, which causes a chain reaction because those who need emergency medical care those that were smart enough to refuse can no longer provide said care? How many more will FREEZE TO DEATH?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Lets be perfectly clear here.

The only REAL crisis is the idiot Demoncrats who have shut down the supplies for the energy to begin with. Its not some scarcity thing. They murdered the supply chain. They shut down the oil and gas pipelines. They shut down the power plants. Yet, they expect us all to drive electric $#@!ing cars that dont work when there IS NO $#@!ING POWER GRID?

The Real Energy Crisis is the Govt itself.

Their real goal, murder as many as necessary to allow them to have PERMANENT POLITICAL POWER. They want a tyrannical regime that controls people by controlling the things they need to survive. Food. Power. Heat. How many millions will STARVE? How many millions more will die because the healthcare workers who are smart enough to not take their Deadly Vaxtermination Shot were forced to quit, which causes a chain reaction because those who need emergency medical care those that were smart enough to refuse can no longer provide said care? How many more will FREEZE TO DEATH?
    These problems will manifest themselves in their cities first.

Let them wallow in the mess they've made.

We're gonna have to talk soon man. I'd love to hear more about your experiences. Land drilling is amazing enough, with directional technology and fracking, but to do all of that from a rig bobbing on the surface of the ocean through a couple miles of sea water... just unbelievable. A moonshot sounds about right!
    Was there for the whole cleanup/shut in at the site as well.

There I am, by the white arrow. The fellow that was at the helm of the vessel on scene when it exploded and pulled everybody to safety, was my Chief Officer for a number of years, much later after the incident.

In that shot I was standing by to deliver a load of dispersant to the blue and white Kelvin Marine vessel on my stern.

My mate, which had moved on to better things, was at that time second in command of the drilling rig that successfully intercepted the well bore, with a sidetrack secondary bore, to inject a cement plug and finally stop the leak.

They did that on a brand new rig that had not even completed sea trials. First hole.

Years later I met up with him at a bar in NOLA and he had one of the toolpushers that was on the job with him.

I told him how flabbergasted I was at them hitting that bore, on the first try, with a brand new and untested rig.

He equated it to hitting a hole in one, from Pebble Beach to Augusta, blindfolded, using someone else's clubs.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-10-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Yep. All sounds about right. Would just add that gases compress much more easily than liquids, for instance, H2O.

But compressed gases would usually result in a explosive discharge of any solid or liquids in front of it, not a continuous stream as we usually imagine an oil gusher.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The major centers of drilling in Pennsylvania have been in those northeastern counties, and southwestern Pennsylvania, particularly Greene and Washington counties, with some activity in Fayette, Somerset (very little in the past 5 years), and also Allegheny. It picks up a bit, north of Allegheny, in Butler county. There is also some drilling in Westmoreland and Indiana counties, and sporadically from there up through central PA up to NE PA.
    I’m in Washington county sometimes if you’re ever in the area.

Was there for the whole cleanup/shut in at the site as well.

There I am, by the white arrow. The fellow that was at the helm of the vessel on scene when it exploded and pulled everybody to safety, was my Chief Officer for a number of years, much later after the incident.

In that shot I was standing by to deliver a load of dispersant to the blue and white Kelvin Marine vessel on my stern.

My mate, which had moved on to better things, was at that time second in command of the drilling rig that successfully intercepted the well bore, with a sidetrack secondary bore, to inject a cement plug and finally stop the leak.

They did that on a brand new rig that had not even completed sea trials. First hole.

Years later I met up with him at a bar in NOLA and he had one of the toolpushers that was on the job with him.

I told him how flabbergasted I was at them hitting that bore, on the first try, with a brand new and untested rig.

He equated it to hitting a hole in one, from Pebble Beach to Augusta, blindfolded, using someone else's clubs.

Amazing stuff, man! Thanks for sharing!

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I’m in Washington county sometimes if you’re ever in the area.

Oil spikes to fresh multi-year peaks

https://www.breitbart.com/news/asia-...-on-inflation/

AFP 11 Oct 20212

World oil prices vaulted Monday to fresh multi-year pinnacles on strong demand and tight supplies, sparking inflation woes and weighing on most European stock markets.

London Brent oil jumped to a three-year high at $84.38 per barrel, while New York’s WTI crude leapt to a seven-year peak $81.72.

The recent decision by OPEC and other major producers not to ramp up output has further strained global supplies.

“Nerves are still clearly apparent in the markets,” OANDA analyst Craig Erlam told AFP.

“The energy crisis is a major concern in the coming months, while inflation concerns and the prospect of tighter monetary policy are among the numerous economic headwinds.”

Amazing stuff, man! Thanks for sharing!
    I got a million of 'em.

Not tooting my own horn here, but I was the guy that sketched out and worked up the rigging for the vessel to vessel transfers of dispersant.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans;[URL="tel:7064328"
    7064328[/URL]]Do you have any idea how much of the NG produced is used to generate power on the coasts?

I've heard our local Co-Op bitching on how the power site dams all up and down the local rivers are selling the power to Ca.

Something tells me that East of the Big Muddy it's the same with the Corps of Engineers catering to the coastal cities.
    New England/New York/Mid-Atlantic states are much more gas/fuel oil/nuclear-oriented. Hydro comes down high voltage DC tie connections from Quebec as they are an immense hydropower “power”.

California is a substantial residential solar area, which is a massive challenge for them to manage. A glut of power during the day (to where overgeneration is a major risk) followed by a massive surge in demand for the evening as people come home, the sun goes down, so you have a 1-2 punch with solar power dissipating and demand “showing up” as many homes turn from being energy sources to energy sinks, combined with the natural climb in power demand when people come home from work. To top it off, California has a massive chunk of the EV market, so you have converted liquid fuels into plug-in electric demand. Shifting that energy from an entirely different source of energy into new demand that never existed on the grid only compounds the problem.

For the Pacific Northwest, you’re hydro-heavy with the Columbia River and cascading hydro dams. Typically “long” on the power side, you’re shipping your megawatts down the Pacific DC interties to Southern California.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast