Thread: African migrants are returning from China and telling their compatriots not to go

African migrants are returning from China and telling their compatriots not to go

http://qz.com/720816/gambian-migrant...ots-not-to-go/
    When Lamin Ceesay, an energetic 25-year-old from Gambia, arrived in Guangzhou last year, he thought his life had made a turn for the better. As the oldest of four siblings, he was responsible for caring for his family, especially after his father passed away. But jobs were few in his hometown of Tallinding Kunjang, outside of the Gambian capital of Banjul. After hearing about China’s rise, his uncle sold off his taxi business and the two of them bought a ticket and a paid local visa dealer to get them to China.

“It was very developed—the tall buildings, everything was colorful. I thought, okay my life is going to change. It’s going to be better. Life is good here,” Ceesay tells Quartz, describing his first impressions of Guangzhou, a hub for African migrants in China.

Gambia, a small country of a just under 2 million people in West Africa, has been losing entire villages to migration mostly to Europe, but also to China. Chinese border restrictions have been easier than in Europe or North America and the southern city of Guangzhou has become a hub for African migrants, traders, and businesses. In Gambia, youth unemployment is high, almost 40%, encouraging people like Ceesay to look east.
    “The dream that you hoped for—the better job, better life— is not there. It’s just a dream that is nowhere to be found in Asia,” Ceesay says.
    Ceesay’s warning is for other African communities, many of whom have had similar experiences. “What happened to them has happened to Africans of other nationalities earlier,” says Østbø Haugen, “but their desire to prevent others from ending up in the same situation is unique.”
    I guess they can head to Europe instead :P where they will be pampered.

Asians are pretty racist, unless you are rich. But thank goodness many asian countries don't really buy too much into this "free for all" immigration BS and feminism/SJW.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would stay in Gambia if I was them.

“The dream that you hoped for—the better job, better life— is not there. It’s just a dream that is nowhere to be found in Asia,” Ceesay says.
    Ceesay, that dream you're looking for is called America.

And no, you can't come in.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Why heck is there Nepalese/African migrants in India & China?

They have 1 billion or 2 billion people. There aren't jobs that wont be done.

Some of them get on Cargo Ships and go to latin America.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Ceesay, that dream you're looking for is called America.

And no, you can't come in.
    Meh , hunting Warthog and Hippo in Gambia is more fun than working @ some desk in Houston

I would never leave Africa for India or China. I mean hell , they do not have Gambian Palm Nut Vultures in India, LOL

I wonder if whatever the Chinese are doing would work and be effective here. Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFan View Post
    Because this is a global economy we now live in silly and as such these fine people are entitled to live as well as those who actually produce things.

And you're a $#@!ing racist or nationalist if you disagree.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If anyone doesn't know, the town in question is a trading city where importer go to buy textiles and such to send back home. I seriously doubt anyone is coming there seeking welfare, in fact I doubt anyone anywhere is coming to China to seek any type of welfare. I have a few facebook friends living and doing business in Guangzhou. Yea, they are not super welcomed by the locals cos like the OP said "Asians are pretty racist" but just like the Chinese railroad workers were treated badly by the locals in America back in the 1800, the people who are tough enough endure whatever they throw at them and try to make their money and the weak minded would go home crying.

It seems like the OP takes joy in the fact that these people are given a hard time to the point some of them run home. Whats up with that?

Relax everybody! He along with seventy of his countrymen are here in Tampa with handlers, came in via C130 in the wee hours. All safe and sound and being indoctrinated in the art of entitlement procurement as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    It seems like the OP takes joy in the fact that these people are given a hard time to the point some of them run home. Whats up with that?
    What do you expect will happen if you dont speak chinese and you are trying to get a job in china? . Maybe the chinese recognize that more diversity = crime rate goes up?? The Gambians are unfairly stereotyped, but you have to admit that the more diversity there is, the more likely there will be racial tension. Chinese are individuals that are usually the type of people that dont want trouble and keep to themselves. :s..

Chinese railroad. Yeah, they took some $#@! back then. Of course USA was built on immigration back then.. China is not really built on immigration/diversity. =s

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    What do you expect will happen if you dont speak chinese and you are trying to get a job in china? . Maybe the chinese recognize that more diversity = crime rate goes up?? The Gambians are unfairly stereotyped, but you have to admit that the more diversity there is, the more likely there will be racial tension. Chinese are individuals that are usually the type of people that dont want trouble and keep to themselves. :s..

Chinese railroad. Yeah, they took some $#@! back then. Of course USA was built on immigration back then.. China is not really built on immigration/diversity. =s
    First of all, how do you know they don't speak Chinese? its not like China is a place like europe where you expect to get away with it not knowing the local language. I will talk about Nigerians because that what I know, but most Nigerians heading to China to trade get a basic crash course in Chinese to the point where they can do business, that or they have in their group a capable translator.

Also, its not forced diversity the way it is done in the west, merchant towns throughout history has always been a place where different groups of people congregate hence the diversity which you are so scared of. These people are not planning to settle in China, just do business there. This is why they almost never come with family member, they don't buy any property in China etc etc. The trading is the only thing that brings them there.

On the other, lately we have been seeing a lot of Chinese people come to Nigeria to earn money. A few years back a group of Chinese men rented our guest house in Nigeria. For the period of time, there was just a little bit extra diversity in the city and it wasn't the end of the world. The boko haram crap seemed to have reduced their numbers a bit. People who trade with each other tend to visit each others homes. This is very normal and organic, it doesn't mean that crime will increase.

These people are trying to make a living through trade not build China like the Chinese did in the US. I find your lack of empathy for immigrants and refugees in general to be very disturbing. Just for the record, those Africans in China most likely are all legal immigrants, there are no refugees routes that takes one to China from Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    These people are trying to make a living through trade not build China like the Chinese did in the US. I find your lack of empathy for immigrants and refugees in general to be very disturbing. Just for the record, those Africans in China most likely are all legal immigrants, there are no refugees routes that takes one to China from Africa.
    I believe they overstayed their visa :P..

The Rise of the Asian $#@!lord

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFan View Post

They have 1 billion or 2 billion people. There aren't jobs that wont be done.

Some of them get on Cargo Ships and go to latin America.
    No but they might be done better by somebody else. Why should I care that India and China have immigrants?